Whats the nicest thing youve done for another player

DarthMaulUK

I don't consider giving credits to a newbie to be helping anyone, all it does is create an atmosphere of 'entitlement' and encourages beggars and is actually doing the entire game a disservice.

Give them advice, explain, show... things that help them learn and do for themself.

If someone is having a hard time getting a black talon run because everyone is looking for HM runs, if I'm doing nothing else I might give them a pull through so they don't miss the gear (Or the experience)...

But it is a favour, nobody is 'entitled' to having that done for them and if people start acting as if they think other player 'owe'/'should' be doing things for them ... it is the surest way to end up on my block list rather than be helped... I don't encourage the 'entitlement bunnies', they get enough of that from other people who 'think' they are being kind rather than realising they are causing a problem.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this game, I've run a lot of missions I didnt need because I saw people looking a long time for a group.

In another game, a superhero MMO, I got sucked into a deep pattern of niceness....

I ended up grouping with someone who kept saying

'pleas pleas I cant beat this boss and nobuddy will help me'

Funny thing was I knew the mission and knew it wasn't even a boss, just a lt. But, I was in the neighborhood and I helped.

This person was the worst player ever. I'm not talking about using a poor build or priority/rotation, I'm saying, she had trouble walking around the map.

Anyway, she friended me and I kept helping. I kept rolling alts because of it, which was fun, because I'd repeatedly outlevel her in a few hours.

I eventually trained her to be not terrible. She even would send me tells saying how she was on a team and doing okay.

After many months I got a message from her account, but since the spelling was correct, I was not surprised to see that the message said it was from her mother. The mother said she was mildly developmentally delayed, that she reads the chat logs and thanked me so much for how much I'd helped her.

The game had actually helped this kid in the rest of her life, because she so looked forward to playing her super hero that her mother used this as a reward for good school behavior etc.

I then talked her mom into playing the game. She was terrible at first too hahah, but she got pretty good after a few days.

Been doing plenty of nice stuff.

A couple weeks back, I speedran a l35 through every flashpoint up to Cademimu because he never had found a group to run 'em.

I sold a moddable orange belt to a guy because it was for my alt, not my main - and alts are not as important as mains.

Put heavy and light armor moddable bracers on the AH for only 125k instead of what they could go for.

Sold a sage a moddable light belt for 1000 creds, since you can find those anywhere - instead of holding her hostage.

For the past couple days, I've been farming Enemies of the Republic for orange drops, and I give away all of the blue-quality items that drop to any lowbies I see.

Let a Sith marauder duel me on top of the tatooine sandcrawler so they could leap up for the datacrons.

It's all about building a community on your server. If you're decent folks, people will notice. If your guild is decent folks, people will notice. Our guild's a month old and is at 175 members now - on a light/standard server, Gauntlet of Kressh.

Once found a "blue" item drop that was pretty nice ... and I couldn't use ... so I searched around and found a low level char who could use it and just gave it to them.

Other than bail a few people out of combat situations they were going to lose ... that's about it.

Hm. There were a number of times I was finished a world (including heroics) and just spent an hour or so running others through them for fun. I also like to randomly buff people all the time.

Nicest thing to happen to me was someone doing similar, and also a time a high level gave me some purple gear for free after posting a "hello" message over general and waiting to see who responded without telling them his intent (I responded, hence the surprise gift). <3

Edited by ProsaicProse

A couple of level 50s were taking a break from HMs, spamming chat for half an hour that they needed help to go on a datacron hunt. So I finished my FP and joined them. After about 6 hours of hilarious exploration we made it to Hoth before calling it. I now have HM friends for my efforts.

Gave a guildie 50k to help him out. I only had 190k at the time. To be honest I'm half regretting it since I haven't gotten my level 3 license yet, but the other half is happy to help.

Also, when I luckily get a schematic, orange gear, or just anything of value that I don't need for my char, I usually ask if anyone in my guild needs it (normally they don't need it), and if they don't I just give it away using general chat. Scratch that, I usually charge people 1 credit. :D I figure it will be more exciting to find new gear and mats for my next char by playing him anyway.

Also when I need a break from grinding whatever i'm doing at the time, I offer to bring lowbies on runthroughs in FPs of their levels.

I really feel as though everyone should do what they can to answer questions and help people out when they can spare it.

People who call other's noob and insult them for their questions disgust me. People look to the community for help when confused, and no one should belittle them for it.

Twice i have mailed 30k to people because they didnt have the creds for the speeder training,it is kinda tough around that lvl on your first toon.

I also bought a guildmate a barrell for 200k,i had just joined that guild that day and knew the seller and talked him down 100k,maybe one day it will come around for me.

I don't consider giving credits to a newbie to be helping anyone, all it does is create an atmosphere of 'entitlement' and encourages beggars and is actually doing the entire game a disservice.

Give them advice, explain, show... things that help them learn and do for themself.

If someone is having a hard time getting a black talon run because everyone is looking for HM runs, if I'm doing nothing else I might give them a pull through so they don't miss the gear (Or the experience)...

But it is a favour, nobody is 'entitled' to having that done for them and if people start acting as if they think other player 'owe'/'should' be doing things for them ... it is the surest way to end up on my block list rather than be helped... I don't encourage the 'entitlement bunnies', they get enough of that from other people who 'think' they are being kind rather than realising they are causing a problem.

I only agree to an extent. People walking around asking for money get no help from me. I see no problem however with sparing some items/credits that could help a person. I only help those who don't ask for it. I know what it's like leveling up and being short on funds due to buying skills. Generosity isn't a bad or ignorant thing when you do it wisely.

btw anyone have a couple credits they can spare? Need to get a bus ticket home... ;)

I'm always on the lookout for players on my fleet who need a run through Black Talon and other lowbie FPs. I run them through because people are usually too busy to bother with going back to run through lowbie zones with low level new people. They usually get ignored when posting "LFG BT normal" on chat over andover, and that sucks.

Also, it helps that I get lots of social points that way as well. ;)

---

I'm a big mean self-reliant BH warrior-goddess! When possible I don't even use companions!

I was all alone in a Droid factory and crossed running paths with a Trooper. Ugh ... mama-boy-soldiers. As enemies piled behind me, some frozen dead standing naturally, I noticed out of the corner of my visor (said) trooper operating on the far side of the halls sweeping up his side but heading in the same general direction.

Ok, so he was pretty good too. Visors tipped and all that. He made quick work of the droids without a companion by his side.

As the hall shrank, our paths converged into tunnels. My target was at the long end and it seemed so was his. We looked at each other and pushed our respective mobs. I took the left and he took the right.

Naturally, I plowed mine through just that much faster. (ok- so I was like +2 levels above him but meh!)

I reached the end an saw the slimy traitorous Sergeant (?) all smug and walky walky in his Elite armoring and weaponry. So I stuck a bomb on him and we crossed blasters. He was a tough bantha-lover! Until I saw a heavy volley lobbed over my head at him.

Rival trooper finally came into the picture and we quickly finished him off.

The he wanted on a metal plate oucropping a few meters away awaiting his turn at the Sergeant. I sat across the tunnel from him. I owed him that much.

And we talked.

He learnt what bad-asses Bounty Hunters are.

I learnt Troopers don't smell so bad.

He learnt we actually have honour and always remember favours (grudges)

I learnt Troopers weren't all blind-sided Republic lackeys.

Then the Sergeant returned -I fed the Sergeant missiles -I fed the Trooper Kolto muck -We wasted him -We parted.

---

(DAMMIT! Now i wished I had more social emotes ....)

(Incidently I had rolled a Trooper as an alt (RP: as a brother to my BH warrior goddess!)

---

I hope people don't take this to the point of bragging. It sort of defeats the purpose if you do nice things so you can go brag about it. On the flip-side, nice to know there are a lot of kind players out there. The internet doesn't have to be a hateful place :) Edited by DarthKaratus

In this game? I was trying to get the yellow matrix shard datacron on Nar Shadaa;

I thought I had grabbed the slot decoder from the incinerator room, but apparently had not.

Anyway, as I was trying to make the necessary jumps (took me about three tries on this go around), another Imperial player came by attempting the same. After I finally reached the datacron, I realized my mistake. Fortunately, the solution was obvious; help the other guy who was so far unsuccessfully trying to reach the datacron, because presumably once they accessed it I would be able to, as I already knew this to be the case with several similar datacrons.

So, for my nicest thing I've done in this game, I coached a random sorcerer through the jumps. Sure, I was being self-serving, but they were very grateful for my encouragement and pointers.

Edited by Ansultares

Being sorta new to MMOs myself- I value the help I've received from others. I take the time to help out others as I can. I'm still taking my time to learn and to level, but I'll set things aside if I notice someone who needs help. This game looks fun, and has attracted a lot of new players to this genre. Without a bit of research on your own and grinding out low level mobs to practice your rotations, techniques, etc- You'll get hammered and the game loses its fun factor. I help, then I tell them some things to look at on the web when they decant back into real life. I need a macro that will give links to the most relevant noob info on this forum and others.

I do all the drive-by buffs and back-seating FPs I'm over-leveled for as well. I don't hand out creds but I give out gear. Other than that, I try to abide by Wheaton's law.

It does seem that the past week or so there are a lot more people who either do not know how or don't give a d*** on the teamwork involved with grouping. I Hope that is just a byproduct of the free-pass weekends and will go away. Being part of groups that get wiped sucks. I need to start keeping a list of all those I need to return favors to for help received, plus a list of players to avoid grouping with because they can't or won't listen to team coaching. Nothing worse then seeing the experienced player give up and quick travel away after being systematically murdered by beatable mobs.

Thanks to all of you that have helped.