Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Hey,

A bunch of you have brought up the point that reverse engineering orange quest item appearances would be a risky business.

That's true - which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these. It would be pretty frustrating for players to destroy the quest reward they worked so hard to get for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

Instead, many of the these appearances are now available through tradeable schematics found through mission discoveries.

Is the Saber Marshall's set one of the ones available this way? Pretty please?:D

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad to see crafting being given some TLC and for the most part it looks like positive changes and even future ideas look great giving crafting such an important part in the game is great.

I have one problem when I read the article this thread is discussing and would really appretiate it if a dev could comment with a definitive answer.

Slicing is atm a cybertech gathering skill, with the new changes to augments ie: armstech armourmech synthweaving are able to craft them what do we do with investigation scavenging etc? are cybertechs going to be the only proffession to dominate money making in swtor again, or will I be able to get schematics and augment materials through my scavenging gathering proffesion? As a devoted armstech smuggler, from day one, with literally a handful of shecmatics and not a single raid drop schematic will I have to find money from somewhere to pay for augment schematics and pay the slicers even more money than they make already?

If you are truely telling me that I'm going to have to wizz credits down the drain trying to get my schematics and mats to make augments from a slicer while still needing my scavenging proffesion to gather mats for making the gear that's is total bull squirt and you need to make a few more changes because I doubt anyones going to be happy about it.

Good to see changes for the crafting comming along. On the Cybertech crafting i'm slightly torn because on one hand it will be nice to be able to sell speeders/hoverbikes but on the other hand it was dissapionting that are cybertech only speeders will not be unique to are class. Would like to of sold different looking hoverbikes instead.

Another idea i thought may of been a better way to go for cybertech, would be to make armour mods for our bikes so we could take more damage or even a mod to change the colour of the bikes could be a possability. I kind of think that may of been a better way togo: or something for the future perhaps. Just my intial thoughts so far and look forward to what will hopefully be some good changes in crafting.

Edited by HanVenatici

Hey,

A bunch of you have brought up the point that reverse engineering orange quest item appearances would be a risky business.

That's true - which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these. It would be pretty frustrating for players to destroy the quest reward they worked so hard to get for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

Instead, many of the these appearances are now available through tradeable schematics found through mission discoveries.

Could you please add some more clarification as to what orange items can be reverse engineered?

Is an orange quest item, that is a one time reward (such as those from the end of a class quest or planet quest) going to be the only type that can not be reverse engineered?

Are the orange quest items that can be obtained as rewards from each time you repeat a quest going to be able to be reverse engineered? (such as those that drop from bosses in a flashpoint, or as quest reward from a heroic mission)

What about orange items that are only available from a commendation vendor? And those are the only versions of that item, theme wise, that can be obtained? (where using items from other sets would not match the pattern of the armor, such as the camo sets).

Edited by Flying-Brian

every week in-game, 52 million items are produced or harvested, 4.5 million item mods are installed and more than 35 million items change hands.

WoW nice numbers there dorothy! So basicly every player is producing atleast 25 items per week, that gives us 100 items per month per player, pretty busy players you have there. And who is using those well... 200 milion items per month if there are less than 2 milion players?

Since the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, the Crew Skill system has been incredibly popular.

Sorry, but that is a hilariously subjective statement.

The crew skill system is just "crafting" in this game. What other "crafting" do we have to compare against in order to determine that the crew skill system is incredibly popular.

If you are trying to say that the crafting in this game is more popular then other games then what are the figures you are comparing with? I doubt you would even have such figures to compare with.

Crafting exists, people craft. You can't make a ridiculous comparison without having anything to compare against in a controlled environment.

It should say this

Since the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, the Crew Skill system has been used, this is how much.

Anything else is total bs hype.

The PR / advertising team of this game is relentless! I don't mind the occasional advertising mind game of subtle manipulation, but when I notice them so blatantly obvious and consistent. It rubs me the wrong way.

Apparently if you talk something up enough everyone starts to agree?

Sorry, but that is a hilariously subjective statement.

The crew skill system is just "crafting" in this game. What other "crafting" do we have to compare against in order to determine that the crew skill system is incredibly popular.

If you are trying to say that the crafting in this game is more popular then other games then what are the figures you are comparing with? I doubt you would even have such figures to compare with.

Crafting exists, people craft. You can't make a ridiculous comparison without having anything to compare against in a controlled environment.

It should say this

Anything else is total bs hype.

The PR / advertising team of this game is relentless! I don't mind the occasional advertising mind game of subtle manipulation, but when I notice them so blatantly obvious and consistent. It rubs me the wrong way.

Apparently if you talk something up enough everyone starts to agree?

To this I would say "Call a doctor to have teh stick removed from your sphinkter" so many anal retentive nut jobs and you are all just BS yourselves

To this I would say "Call a doctor to have teh stick removed from your sphinkter" so many anal retentive nut jobs and you are all just BS yourselves

Anal retentive to me, is a compliment because it denotes my attention to detail. However it also states that this is an annoyance to you, I feel warm you felt it important enough to let me know it was an annoyance to you.

I am disappointed however at your lack of ability to launch a constructive counter argument. In fact stating my attention to detail only solidifies my stance.

In your defence I acknowledge the trend to attack the player when unable to find footing regarding topic at hand and concurrent subjective discussion.

Come on give the each crafting skill a perk!

A PERK PERK PERK!

Biochem has it already reusables!

Cybertech has it already reusables!

Armortech, synthweaving, arms tech, and arficer dosen't!

Instead of increase the crit rate of auguments slots, you could have given the synthweaving and armortech, the perk of made the available to craft those slots for selective gear slots and only for those who have those crew skills!

An viable perk for artificer can be, give them the ability to craft enhancement slot for there belt and bracer's

An viable perk for arms tech, could be able to mod off hand's!

With those changes you are applying the only viable end game ship crafting will still be biochem!

Give each ship crew crafting a viable perks, that makes them viable end game!

With those changes your are only making the crafting skills more profitable!

So I read the crafting change notes and was excited.

I'm a Biochem so rolled up an alt. I understood how the DEVs said Biochem was in a good spot. but they didn't mention this change...

Medpacs can now only be used once per fight. When a medpac is used during combat, another cannot be used until after combat has ended.

With the above mentioned change I can not see how you can think Biochem is in a good spot and does not deserve 1.2 updates to Implants or something.

Edited by Garborg

Interesting.. I look forward to see how these changes work. I have Cybertech, and... was a tone point when I started it capable of selling the mods I crafted.. TODAY, my mods expired on the market for the fifth time in a row, without any sale. The price, as of the fifth posting, was pretty low. My armoring Mods ranged from 10 to 18, three to four of each type.. When they expired today, I vendored all of them, and havent made any more, and didnt intend to make any more.. So, I put all my materials on the market,a nd about half of them wre gone in fifteen minutes, making me easily four times as much as I would have made on the mods..:eek:

I wondered why I hadnt done that from the start.. life would have been so much easier.. but after reading this.. I feel that maybe mods will have purpose again.. at least Armoring.. crafting an actual MOD is... pathetic... they require the same materials, but sell for less than a fifth of the armoring?? I made mods for myself, because there were never any available on the GTN.. Meybe they will come to be a viable commodity now????

I have five characters, at varying levels... I do not need all of them.. but, when I need to upgrade, and there is nothing to BUY so I can upgrade them, it makes things... difficult.. so I go to another character, and usually play until I run into the same problem... having a cybertech, and getting as much orange gear as I can fit, has kept me playing, though usually broke from doing missions to get materials to build twenty four or so Armoring and mods.. and then try to buy ten or so enhancements.. usually a little too low level from the mod vendor somewhere because none are on the gtn....

So, i am interested to see how this helps the crafting profession.. if it does, i will be impressed, but I have my doubts.. Not many people craft items over 35ish, because they are a pain to craft.. if they do craft them, its for themselves, or guildmates, not to sell on the GTN..

Interesting.. I look forward to see how these changes work. I have Cybertech, and... was a tone point when I started it capable of selling the mods I crafted.. TODAY, my mods expired on the market for the fifth time in a row, without any sale. The price, as of the fifth posting, was pretty low. My armoring Mods ranged from 10 to 18, three to four of each type.. When they expired today, I vendored all of them, and havent made any more, and didnt intend to make any more.. So, I put all my materials on the market,a nd about half of them wre gone in fifteen minutes, making me easily four times as much as I would have made on the mods..:eek:

I wondered why I hadnt done that from the start.. life would have been so much easier.. but after reading this.. I feel that maybe mods will have purpose again.. at least Armoring.. crafting an actual MOD is... pathetic... they require the same materials, but sell for less than a fifth of the armoring?? I made mods for myself, because there were never any available on the GTN.. Meybe they will come to be a viable commodity now????

I have five characters, at varying levels... I do not need all of them.. but, when I need to upgrade, and there is nothing to BUY so I can upgrade them, it makes things... difficult.. so I go to another character, and usually play until I run into the same problem... having a cybertech, and getting as much orange gear as I can fit, has kept me playing, though usually broke from doing missions to get materials to build twenty four or so Armoring and mods.. and then try to buy ten or so enhancements.. usually a little too low level from the mod vendor somewhere because none are on the gtn....

So, i am interested to see how this helps the crafting profession.. if it does, i will be impressed, but I have my doubts.. Not many people craft items over 35ish, because they are a pain to craft.. if they do craft them, its for themselves, or guildmates, not to sell on the GTN..

So I read the crafting change notes and was excited.

I'm a Biochem so rolled up an alt. I understood how the DEVs said Biochem was in a good spot. but they didn't mention this change...

With the above mentioned change I can not see how you can think Biochem is in a good spot and does not deserve 1.2 updates to Implants or something.

......it's all relative tiger......even with that slight nerf, biochem is still in great shape compared to, say, Armstech......if it gets an update in 1.2 then it will still be OP compared to the other crafting skills (and I have no bias because I have them all across my toons)

Edited by Eskymojo

I find it funny how often BW says "surprisingly popular," in their dev posts.

I remember seeing it in regards to PvP. Something along the lines of, "We are surprised how popular PvP has been."

Really?

Like the old saying goes: "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Please read my post again. Note how many slots I mentioned.

Then imagine EVERY cybertech making the EXACT same critted item as you are.

Do you REALLY think that adding an augment slot actually creates much variance, when everyone is trying to make the same item with the same augment slot?

Now, I don't know about anyone else but in my opinion, if one is filling a "niche", then one is able to offer a product or service that can only be offered by a small small group.

So I ask you, where's the "niche" when everyone is able to craft the same thing?

When everyone is a "hero", then no one is.

Likewise, when everyone can craft the same thing, then there are no "niches".

herp derp derp you aren't thinking it through enough...there will be plenty of supply and demand if you think it through.....quit crying about pre-nge SWG plz

wow, did they just remove the biochem x2 for augments and reversed the original post?

Biochem

With BioChem being in a fairly good spot already, we are not making any major changes to the profession at this time. Some minor changes include reclassifying 'Red Goo' as a Grade 6 Biochemical compound via Bioanalysis Missions and a new, special recipe for the creation of delicious Ice-Scrabbler Jerky...

So basically biochem continues to be able to crit and get augments for implants right?

Another possibility would be to make Orange quest rewards bound to account, so we can mail it to our armorcrafter, but this has a lot of additional implications that may be unwanted.

This is already being done in the legacy system, so I doubt they would have any reason to do it again.