Which Generation of Fan Are You?

valin-krai

Born in 1973.... so ive been a fan since i was a kid and saw episode IV new hope. episodes 1 2 3 are to sparkly in look and dont have the same feel to them. then introducing the force as medicalorians.....what?... personaly im just hoping the make the timothy zaun books (hier to the empire) into movies....that would rock.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say OT generation tho i first saw them on tv cause i was born in 77 i don't think i saw them till the mid 80's

personaly im just hoping the make the timothy zaun books (hier to the empire) into movies....that would rock.

I agree, those books were the first star wars novels i ever read.

Edited by soulself

I saw the original in 77 when I was in kindergarten. I guess that made me a true member of the "Star Wars Generation"... my entire formative childhood revolved around all things Star Wars. I was hard core until outgrowing it a couple years after ROTJ.

I played X-Wing on my college computer and loved it, though that didn't really get me back into the whole Star Wars concept too much.

It was actually the "Heir to the Empire" series by Timothy Zahn that rekindled my love for the universe. At that point, as a college grad with a new job, I reacquired all the toys I'd had (and subsequently had garage-saled) as a kid.

So now, for essentially my 40th birthday present, I play The Old Republic. What a long, strange trip it's been.

Not only did I see Phantom when I was 1, my first words as a toddler were "Tar Wars". And even before I could talk, When I'd see a TV, the theme song would just burst out of my mouth. I remember going to the thaetres to see episode II, and lightsaber fighting with all the other kids in line. I still lightsaber fight while watching that, and everyother movie. I live the movies, not jusst watch them.

Was born 1989, saw the OT special edition re-release in the theaters but got the vhs box set for the original and the special edition vhs when they came out in 95 if i remember? xD My Star Wars life is kind of blurred at this point with the countless hours of watching the movies to the games.

So I guess that would put me in the 1984-1996 category from earlier? idk

Edited by Amaste

I was born in 77 and can't remember not knowing what Star Wars is. Had the toys and saw the movies all through childhood. The re-release made it awesome to see the movies on the big screen.

All the hype now just keeps the love alive. Not that it ever would have faded...

I watched the original trilogies in the mid to late 80s between ages 5 and 9 but I didn't really start to become a hard core fan until I bought Dark Empire #1 when I was like 9. It was a British printing so it was a large magazine style format with lots of extra articles and stuff. I'm 28 now.

OK... I admit it. The first star wars movie I saw was Episode 1 in theaters back when I was 9 years old. I thought it (and the other prequels) were awesome, though later on I appreciated the original 4-6 much more than the prequels and now kinda look down on the prequels.

But to be honest, I bonded with Star Wars more with the books/audiobooks (both the EU and novelizations) than the films.

Also, LEGO star wars. :D

Edited by Stenrik

I was born in the 70s so I was a child of seven years when the original Star Wars came out in theaters. When the Special Editions came out in the 90s my family went to the SAME theater that we saw the originals in (Unfortunately I could not do the same as I was living across the country by then).

My brother and I had the Kenner brand action figures - got C3P0 and R2D2 first then Obi Wan and Luke (we each got one figure to play with on the plane to my grandparents; one pair each way). We got the original Death Star play set and Luke's Landspeeder among others. By RotJ both of us were old enough that we were told we had to buy our own toys (with our allowance) so the collection waned after ESB, but we still had PLENTY of fun with the toys.

To top it off, a distant relative that my family was close to back then, owned a video store and got a copy of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back BEFORE Lucas officially released them to video. My friends and I on every rainy/snowy/incredibly hot day would sit in front of the TV watching the WORST quality video of Star Wars ever. but it was a blast every time.

Lastly, my best friend's uncle back then worked in distribution. He got his nephew, my friend, a single subject spiral notebook with the "Revenge of the Jedi" logo. For those who don't that was the original title of Episode 6, but at the last minute Lucas changed it stating that Jedi would not seek revenge and therefore it was an inappropriate title.

Can you tell I have extremely fond memories of that time in my life :) :) :)

Born '91, so I had the originals on VHS to watch, and one of my earliest memories is of asking my mom for a "life saver" (I couldn't say lightsaber at that point), and being really dissappointed with the candy she gave me. I still have that flashlight with a screw-on blade.

I really came around with episode two, and got ahold of Kotor in 2005 (when we had a computer that could play it... mostly).

i remember when i was a kid, i technically was around the time period with the special edition VHS with a few minor additions to the movies, but we owned the theatrical VHS's, i saw A New Hope and Return of The Jedi most of all.....

infact, Return of The Jedi on VHS like every other day when i was yeigh tall...Ah, a childhood well spent...

the scene i remember most was Yoda dying and telling Luke to face Vader and become a true Jedi, and Luke's inner conflict, his mentor telling him to kill his father. Of course i was a kid so i didn't understand it in it's entirety, and Yoda disappearing was so weird to me.......every single time.....i was like whaaaat.....

My teenhood continued during the prequels, progressively i thought "This is a great first step in the right direction!", was Episode 1 to "This is a...decent step in the right direction." that was episode 2

"But.....But.....No!....How could they do that?", that was Episode 3.

For the movies? I was born in 89, so just enjoyed the movies as a kid, didn't get massively into it.

But the real subject on hand, or what should be the subject on hand, is when did you first play, and fall in love with KOTOR, which this game is based off. I played it when it first came out in 2003, and it is and always will be one of the greatest, and beats the movies any day.

What I'm trying to say is... it was KOTOR that made me a true fan, and it's the TOR era that brought me to this game.

PS: I think there is way too much movie talk, and too little KOTOR talk. If you didn't get to experience KOTOR back in the day, you can still pick it up on Steam for $5, and it works on windows 7. ;)

I totally agree. The reason I am playing this game (MMO) is because I fell in love with KOTOR and KOTOR2. I am a huge Star Wars fan and it was the music from those games, and the music from this game that is special to me. The musical score is just epic!! I remember when playing those games, I would leave the title screen on in the background just so I could listen to the spectacular soundtrack. Music creates that emotional bond and makes the story and the characters come to life.

-I miss playing KOTOR. You say Steam has it and is compatible with Win7? I just may have to go back and relive that wonderful game one more time.:)

I was 12 when TPM released in theaters but I wasn't at all into Star Wars and barely knew what it was. My best friend had always been a big fan and when the last 2 episodes came out we went to see them in the theater. When Epidode III came out, he lent me the 2 KOTOR games and I fell in love with the universe. When TOR was announced, I started reading some SW books and following the game and this forum. Now that the game is out, I read more SW books and watched the entire Clone Wars series. So I'm a recent but dedicated fan.