Are Sith supposed to have love/lovers?

I recently ran into a argument with people on general chat about if Sith are technically allowed to have lovers or love. My reasoning was no because in my opinion Love = Attachment = Weakness = Exploitation or Loss of Power. I know the Jedi order has rules against love or lovers. I am not claiming that Sith being in love doesn't happen because obviously there are some cases. But rather I would like to have a discussion on whether they are technically allows to as Sith. Opinions, Comments, etc. are apericated. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure many of them do have lovers. But your average Sith is so obsessed with his own personal power and strength, having an actual "love" would only prove a weakness for your enemies to exploit.

Look what being married did to Anakin for an example lol.

Both sides are not against love, what they are against is the consequences that it brings.

Jedi= Fear what could come from love, tragedy, fall to the darkside, unable to control emotions.

Sith= View it as a weakness.

But really thats not always the case, Anakin/Padme were doing fine up until Anakin started having the visions. Kento/Mallie Marek (Galen Marek's parents) did fine. In fact Kento showed, that if you are strong enough with your emotions you won't turn to the darkside seeing as his wife was killed he seemed to be fine when he fought Vader.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So for Jedi it becomes "We can have meaningless mating with people as long as we don't get attached. Nice. Gonna have a ton of one-night stands and leave ladies disappointed and angry."

With Sith it's more like; "I'm going to screw anyone I want to. When I want to. If they have my kid, I don't care. So long as she doesn't come lookin to me to be some kinda father figure. Then I'll have to chop'er head off."

But these aren't always true. Malgus had someone he loved, then killed her, so that no one could use her against him and to give himself self-hatred of such strength he could use it to fuel the Dark Side and make himself stronger. There will be Sith who will fraternize and go mate with people for the pure pleasure of it. Falling in love may be discouraged, but they won't hang you for it. They just expect you to serve the Empire first and keep your thing in your pants while on the job.

If you play around in TOR, you definitely have the option and chances to fraternize with NPC's and disappear offscreen to get a little nookie action with them. And not just Empire, but Republic too.

I was under the impression that passion fueled a Sith. Therefor, love, hate, anger, fear...they all add to a Sith's power. It's not a weakness, but another source of potential rage or focus or purpose.

In the game, my Sith shags whenever he can and will eventually have a relationship. A sadistic one, but a relationship nonetheless.

it's a double edged sword for the Sith in general, it provides more emotions and empowers you to fight with more intensity for their protection or whatever. However, it also provides an enemy a way of getting to you and exploiting you.

Motto: Find a lover, then kill them to stop the exploitation, then fight for them and blame your enemies for having to kill your lover because they would do dirty underhand tactics like that to win.

it's a double edged sword for the Sith in general, it provides more emotions and empowers you to fight with more intensity for their protection or whatever. However, it also provides an enemy a way of getting to you and exploiting you.

Motto: Find a lover, then kill them to stop the exploitation, then fight for them and blame your enemies for having to kill your lover because they would do dirty underhand tactics like that to win.

That makes sense, I can see the good reasoning behind that.

you got that motto from Darth Malgus right?:rolleyes:

Both sides are not against love, what they are against is the consequences that it brings.

Jedi= Fear what could come from love, tragedy, fall to the darkside, unable to control emotions.

Sith= View it as a weakness.

But really thats not always the case, Anakin/Padme were doing fine up until Anakin started having the visions. Kento/Mallie Marek (Galen Marek's parents) did fine. In fact Kento showed, that if you are strong enough with your emotions you won't turn to the darkside seeing as his wife was killed he seemed to be fine when he fought Vader.

This pretty much.

Love causes weakness, in that you often put the needs of said love above what is best (or often the most logical action) for yourself.

Sith is all about being 100% self-centered with a minor exception/concern for the continuation of the Sith Order (or they wouldn't bother training apprentices).

In game wise:

The Sith Warrior being in love with Dark Side Jeasa is correct example of how Sith should love, because he is still willing to sacrifice her for his own needs and such. Never risking himself for her.

Whilst Dark Side Jeasa's love of the Sith Warrior is against the Sith code, because she would die to stop you from any form of harm/discomfort, with little to no regard for herself.

In reality, you really can't help who you end up loving. I imagine this is true in SW too, or at least it should be.

It is indeed a double edged sword for a Sith. Then again, what if that Sith fell in love with a Sith as powerful or more powerful than you? What if a Sith Lady fell in love with the Emperor & vice versa? That concern could be negated quite a bit.

The Jedi, looks like they just view it as all bad.

Love? Lovers? Just because one group, the Jedi, made a conscious decision to castrate themselves, doesn't mean it applies to the Sith.

*If* you want to go by KOTOR / SWTOR settings, yes, it is fine to have relationship as a Sith. The evidence is early in the game on Korriban with the Sith Warrior / Inquisitor. The quest to be able to find the remains of an academy guard leader's son? You can find and bring the body of the high ranking guard's son to him. Naturally, only Sith are allowed on Academy grounds.