Punch Barrage - 23/17/1 (Parakeet replacement)

Healfezza

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0oroMZrsrd0bZo.1

This build is ment to be a replacement for the Carolina Parakeet for it's demise in 1.2. It centers around using Ion Gas Cylinder as a tanking build. You run with a shield and get your DPS from procing on Shield Vents for free heat, Flame Shield for refreshing Rocket Punch and Flame Barrage for free Rocket Punchs.

Notable exclusions:

Oil Slick - If you like, take it. For me I find it has limited use since it doesn't reduce tech or force attacks which are a large portion of incoming damage.

No Escape - Another good talent that doesn't quite fit in my build but is useful none the less. If you feel like giving up your damage reduction or rocket punch damage, grab this.

Advanced Tools 2nd point - A tossup again between reducing the cooldown on quell or electrodart. I like to use electrodart most of the time when on CD while saving grapple for when I need to, thus the extra 5 second on electrodart is better. As for quell, 6sec interrupt = awsome.

Retractable Blade - I find the damage underwhelming on it, we get a periodic damage ability from Rocket Punch w/ Ion Gas Cylinder to get Rail Shot so I pass on it. Pick it up if you like it.

Heres the problem- your shield never procs in pvp.

There are enough melee and ranged attacks flying about now that more people are playing alts. Also, with ranked WZs you will see more well rounded groups with more Sentinels/Gunslingers than you currently see. The shield talents will be more important as a result.

Edited by Mapex

There are enough melee and ranged attacks flying about now that more people are playing alts. Also, with ranked WZs you will see more well rounded groups with more Sentinels/Gunslingers than you currently see. The shield talents will be more important as a result.

Oh look a sentinel! Ha! With my new shi*POUNCE* *CHOP* *CHOP* *CHOP* absorb *CHOP* AIIIIEEEEEEEEE

First this hybrid is already known, Iron Fist.

Second, it does work in pvp very well. Damage is a tiny bit lower then parakeet but still decent. The shield does prof a fair bit actually, especially when you have a knight/warrior on you. You've got tons of mobility and utility, better survival then a pyro, and come 1.2 a killer interrupt.

I ran this build from 10-50 and even in lower gear it worked ok as a fresh 50. But you can 1v1 faster dps easy, can put.enough pressure on healers long enough for your team to make kills, and are all be perfect for hutball.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I pvp as a merc I need to have a partner run with me because if a single melee combatant starts attacking me it takes probably 3 seconds for whoever it is to take me down. No, it's not my gear I have the most up to date mods for my weapons and armor. It just seems as though force users are ridiculously over powered and the armor of mercenaries is only good for stopping the elements. So yeah, if they're is some miracle cure to building the skill tree, please feel free to divulge it.

Also, I understand that there's beskar'gam in this game so where might I acquire that?

My only issue with that is you would have terrible heat venting =/

Although you retain all the damage capabilities basically.

Well I honestly do see it having worse heat management than say Ironfist. At least with this one, you are pretty much guaranteed a free Rocket punch every 9sec. And making Flame thrower part of your rotation, 25heat for 3 sec to put out 5-8k dmg is not bad at all.

AP is a group build, not a team build.

It has all the cool toys a group would wants

It has decent burst, ive been able to hit 8k bursts

If you overheat your just bad and trying to force sustained dps.

It does NOT have sustained DPS in pvp, unlike the parakeet or full pyro, which is why it is not for the solo queue player. Pyro is strickly better even after the patch if your a solo player the toys.

Hydro override in itself is worth everything I gave up from playing either ST/pyro or full pyro. Add to that playing in IGC + the 20% dmg reduction while stunned, I lol when operatives open on me, and I take 400 dmg from thier hidden strike, they then are like *** and double stealth on me. That is usually death for a pyro spec.

If I wanted a little sustained DPS, i could run CGC, the firedot is decent for single target dps. I would then be 3/31/7

Having played all 3 trees, and most hybrids, AP is a relief to not be reliant on RNG mechanics. Yes HEGC is trash no matter what way you slice it, however

Hydro Overrides can more easily force a score on huttball, you can bypass both sets of fire in 8 seconds. Hydro overrides is more useful on the other 3 maps also. I rode the jet charge train since launch and I understand the tradeoff well.

Flamethrower is ON DEMAND aoe, and soon to have a 70% snare attached to make its damage tick full duration, it is now useful in 1v1s also with the 30% snare attached to RB if you spec that way. I dont, I use the snare on IGC, and if I change to 3/31/7 I would use the snare on CGC. DFA is strickly better in that it is ranged and easier to apply, however having something readily availble on a 15s cooldown means I can punish the enemy team for clumping together, which happens every single map all over the place.

Free rocket punch is enough heat management to not need HEGC

15s Burst cycle, roughly equal to the new Pyro burst cycle which can be as low as 9s if your lucky, but closer to 12s. ED, Immolate, RP FB. Ifyou have 3 stacks before the burst you can add Flamethrower deeps afterwards, just put RB before immolate.

AP spec is not bad, it is different, and after the patch is more in line with what pyro will be after 1.2. Pyro is still going to be 'THE' dps tree to play after the patch, but now you wont sacrifice your ability to kill something to gain utility.

------

Similarly, the run and gun spec taugh posted is also a good spec. ED doesnt crit as hard as TD but it is still bursty. I can hit 700k with that in voidstar just as easily as I can with full pyro. (FB seems to hit much harder when specced into AP)

I was thinking something like this, this is basically ironfist, I don't know why you'd take flame barrage though, 15% chance for saving 16 heat on FB is nooooooot great, and heat was never a problem in Ironfist style builds