Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

Warhammer Online, which I played for over a year, doesn't work like I've laid out here.

Town ownership was static. Only the keeps and fortresses could change hands.

Even after you take the capital city in Warhammer, the whole thing just resets. That isn't what I'm talking about doing at all.

Warhammer Online had a good basic concept, but didn't take the idea far enough.

And really, to do it right, you need a sci-fi genre.

Edited by Akash

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy haters bat man... Jesus people if you hate the game so much what are you doing on their forums? I'm not talking about people giving constructive criticism(Which very few are even if the THINK they are) I'm talking about the complete, raging, haters.

Basically the best thing you can do to enjoy SWTOR is stay away from the forums. They're worse than any I've seen to date, by a wide margin.

I enjoy Swtor, its a great game. But the pvp is not fleshed out, playing warzone maps isnt pvp thats going to keep me.

GW2 has large scale pvp, and a 3 realm system which is pretty much essential to keep one side from dominating. Also the fact that the realms change every 2 weeks and you guarantee that you wont get mass migrations due to a side dominating. This hasnt been done since daoc and even if GW2 isnt perfect, at least when it comes to world pvp they alone at this time show they "get it".

I enjoy both games (at least what i know of GW2!) , and this post is a fine place to discuss GW2, its very much in topic.

edit: comparing the two is a little apples and oranges too. GW2 was built from the ground up centered on pvp while swtor is definately pve centered with huge resources in storyline. But I'm saying pvp is what is going to keep me long term once the story runs out.

Edited by salamanderx

I enjoy Swtor, its a great game. But the pvp is not fleshed out, playing warzone maps isnt pvp thats going to keep me.

GW2 has large scale pvp, and a 3 realm system which is pretty much essential to keep one side from dominating. Also the fact that the realms change every 2 weeks and you guarantee that you wont get mass migrations due to a side dominating. This hasnt been done since daoc and even if GW2 isnt perfect, at least when it comes to world pvp they alone at this time show they "get it".

I enjoy both games (at least what i know of GW2!) , and this post is a fine place to discuss GW2, its very much in topic.

edit: comparing the two is a little apples and oranges too. GW2 was built from the ground up centered on pvp while swtor is definately pve centered with huge resources in storyline. But I'm saying pvp is what is going to keep me long term once the story runs out.

World PvP? You mean high levels ganking low levels, forcing the low level to alt so that high level gets bored and low level can switch to his main again.

World PvP? You mean high levels ganking low levels, forcing the low level to alt so that high level gets bored and low level can switch to his main again.

or

1. high levels gank low levels

2. low lvls ask for help from guild/faction

3. backup kills gankers

4. gankers call for help

5. epic battles that go on for hours with more and more players joining

yeah why would anyone want that......

or

3. backup kills gankers

4. gankers call for help

More importantly, what do you do if you don't want it.

Not a single chance.

You're going to notice a significant drop for each new release.

This is a tide-me-over MMORPG. It's casual heaven.

But casual players usually follow like sheep.

So not a chance.

I'll be off soon as something else comes along. The team here really haven't got a clue. Their poor handling of...basically everything...has engendered zero loyalty to this game. Edited by lollie

Aha! But in GW2 everyone is bolstered in the world pvp areas, so there is no such thing!! And gear is much less effective compared to skill. This is what I am talking about, GW2 gets PvP right. Everyone is in to world pvp areas specifically to support the realm against enemy realms, so any ganking is just part of the play.

PvE happens in protected areas, and only if you dont feel like leveling in pvp.

Edited by salamanderx

Not a single chance.

So not a chance.

But... but.... you bought a six month subscription bro.

What's up with that? Casual sheep in wolfs clothing perhap?

But... but.... you bought a six month subscription bro.

What's up with that? Casual sheep in wolfs clothing perhap?

Yeah, I bought a Six Month Sub because EA being the greedy corporate disease they are, wouldn't let me play the game until I had bought a subscription.

My fault for having faith in what was once a proud and extremely competent Canadian game company ;)

or

3. backup kills gankers

4. gankers call for help

In my experience, it doesn't work that way. It's more like:

3. guild/faction tells low levels to stuff it.

4. gankers camp low levels until all are bored and low levels leave the server.

it's actually funny how people downrate gw2's WvsWvsW all the while TOR's open pvp is broken to death and there is no glimpse of hope on the horizon. i am not here to write about gw2 as the new coming of Christ. But to me at least it's quite promising and opposing to many here i played lots of gw1.

I could care less about which game has how many subs, its all about having fun for me. And TOR PvP is everything else but fun right now...

Not a single chance.

So not a chance.

I disagree; If the casual crowd finds a MMO that caters to them they will be uber loyal. The vast majority of my Guild are either first time MMO players or Casuals; our guild has grown by leaps and bounds over the past month and aside from a couple disgruntled hardcores who have already quit everyone else is ecstatic about the game. I talk to other Guilds and they say the same thing.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Terra is just another in the long line of koren grind feasts and GW2 looks just like GW1 to be so not interested.

Tera could if done correctly be a good game even to western players, its grindy as **** but they are changing quite a bit it looks like, its their only game so they are taking it pretty seriously! At least the content wont run out within 3 months of release, its been successful for what a year now ?

Unless the new MMOG's on the horizon are fully voiced and set in something other than yet-another-fantasy setting i'm not going to be very interested in them.

Yeah trying to play WoW now is just painful....and Guild wars 2's Voice acting is just abysmal; still I was going to look over that, but when I found out about the confirmed Pay 2 win cash shop I decided not to preorder.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Yeah trying to play WoW now is just painful....and Guild wars 2's Voice acting is just abysmal; still I was going to look over that, but when I found out about the confirmed Pay 2 win cash shop I decided not to preorder.

So that rumor is true...sad day for GW2 fans. Not so much that their's a P2W cash shop, but that the fans NOW have to defend this to the haters, lol.

oh yeah, here is a good example how bad the voice acting is:

I actually don't mind the voice acting (i've had to listen to far worse) but the presentation of it is horrible, just characters staring off into nowhere talking against a painted background.

nope, neither TERA or GW2 will dethrone SWTOR as the primary casual MMO of the year

Both game are for twich kids who love arcade style combat (tera) and pvp (tera/gw2)..

As for Panda Expansion, it is just anoter life support for WOW and wont last long since its all the same WOW all over again. Its polarizing, some ppl love panda and some ppl hated it..

Market for SWTOR will be from casual players, who dont care about end-game stuff..

here's some proof that SWTOR make HUGE impact on the biggest gorrila in MMO world

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-19-blizzard-acknowledges-star-wars-the-old-republics-impact-on-wow

In an interview with Eurogamer, WoW Senior Producer John Lagrave said a recent dip in subscriptions for World of Warcraft "certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic."