The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware is moving WAY too slowly

Makade

Trion have been by far the best company of any with an mmo regarding updates.

Considering the money Bioware has, fixes and patches are disgustingly slow.

Bioware, seriously get your act together and get more developers. If u don't want your game to fail get your *** in gear and get information to the public and some recent patches released

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In all my MMO gaming, I have yet to see any MMO launch with everything perfect. Most MMOs get out the door with very basic designs. When WoW first launched, it had no honor system for PvP, no BGs, only a few instances, horrid bugs running rampant, and 1 high-end raid that required around 40 people to get anything done in it. It was ****, yet people still stuck with it and eventually it grew to the MMO beast every bashes to this day.

Rift was no different and started out similar to how TOR has started: few BGs and decent PvP, good instances/flashpoints, and some endgame. Rift has the upperhand in that it has a year longer to tweak things.

My point being: everyone *****es about an MMO at launch because it doesn't have all they want right out of the gate, so people compare it to <insert MMO here> after it has had 1 year or more of patches and updates to get it right, yet rarely do people compare MMO's launch to another MMO's launch. I played in Rift beta and a month or two after launch and I can say it was NO better than TOR's launch. Comparatively, both had solid launches and PvP that you loved or hated. Difference? TOR is new, and therefore a ****** game because it hasn't been out for a year now. :rolleyes:

So it's been three months since launch, and what has Bioware done? Bioware needs to take a long, hard look at Trion (the new bar for MMO devs), take a few notes, and get busy. I suspect there is too much celebrating going on in Austin for them to even recognize that their update schedule is laughable (the blind arrogance of this dev team regarding their "success" with this titanic is astounding). Players these days will not tolerate a so-so patch (made up of stuff that any crap F2P MMO has at launch) every 4 months. Bioware needs to wake up, get some humility, and get to work. I wish I would have listened to EA Louse.

The new bar for MMO Devs? You've been declared an expert on the industry, have you?

Neat.

Three months...

We'll have our second major content patch around the 3 1/2 month mark...

Me thinks trolling. Two major content patches in less than four months, and a bug fix patch nearly every week...sometimes twice a week, in some cases. Whatever you're smoking, I would love to take a hit on it.

Three months...

Me thinks trolling. Two major content patches in less than four months, and a bug fix patch nearly every week...sometimes twice a week, in some cases. Whatever you're smoking, I would love to take a hit on it.

Don't forget to pass it to the left. ;)

Three months...

they ain't smoking nothing.. they are just drinking large glasses of hatorade

Agree. And everyone who disagrees have not played Rift so they don't know the awesomeness the Trion developers are.

The patches that have been released are so small I feel as though there hasn't been a single update in this game.

I play rift. It's garbage definition of WoW clone.

Edited by LucisAbyssus

The community in this game only sucks because half are pissed off and disappointed (rightly so) and the other half are sick of hearing about it from the first half. (can't blame them, either)

Very true. All the whining and moaning doesn't get anyone anywhere. By now I have played almost any major MMO that was realeased in the last 11 years, at least got one char to max level and decided on whether the end game is fun or not.

It's way too easy to get geared up. Most of my characters have gotten full columi in one day from an ops run. Right now there's no replay value in a character and I can't imagine why they don't see this. I don't want a grind, but come on....make us work a little.

Very true. Loot in Raids is too much and I hope in the upcoming tier it will be 2 pieces and 2 enhancements/mods/armorings per boss plus the crafting stuff and not 2-3 Rakata pieces plus Exotech plus Columi and only one piece to customize your gear with.

And you get 50 Columi tokens just by raiding hardmodes every week! That's almost one set piece (wich currently I need for Columi Enforcer Glove's enhancements).

Another thing would be the design of tiered gear ... hope they don't take that much LSD before drawing up concepts in the future. :o

But they already did say itemization isn't good and it seems they're putting lot of thought and work in it, something I never saw that early in a game until now. Of course we'd have to wait to see if what they're doing turns out for the better of worse, but working on a MMO is not doing major patches every 2 weeks but making major patches means pressing the game in a meaningful direction and a lot of that is happening behind the scenes.

Content is way too easy.

So, the only thing to do right now is level to 50, run an Op and go find another class to rinse-repeat with.

I'm sorry, where is "raiding, making money, playing alts and doing repeatable quests" not the bread and butter of every PvE MMO?

You can't reinvent the wheel. There are choices, like "do we want to add frequent open world events?" or "how much grinding should be done to progress?" ... but right now the basic structure of the endgame is quite sound - even with Eternity Vault being quite buggy. But I've seen worse and considering the complexity of the Soa encounter, while pissing me off whenever it's buggy, I can understand how it's a fight that's hard to fix.

PvP in this game is really a joke.

It'S a PvE game with PvP minigames and for that PvP is quite fun. I would've wished they wouldn't have made PvP gear though, but almost my entire raid is running Warzones on a daily basis.

Especially the knockbacks are fun - true stuns or anything that takes away control has serious dimishing returns and knockbacks, snares, speed buffs and charges seem to be balanced enough so everyone can have fun.

It's not meant to be competetive anyway.

Am I pissed off? Yeah. I'm seeing less and less of my friends logging on week after week. Not that I blame them. I would just like to continue playing with the people I enjoy playing with. Bioware's not making that easy on anyone.

I don't. Well some of the people I started playing when I did now play Republic, but for the guild I'm now in and raid with ... there are plenty of people online every day and the fleet has sufficient people at prime times.

However, some smaller servers might need character migration.

The storyline and questing is great here. All that leaves us with is an Alt-Fest, though. Put the same attention into the rest of the game and you're making history.

Yes, leveling alts takes quite some time compared to most other games and it's very entertaining - at it's something that was there right when the game was shipped. I'm looking forward to what the legacy system does ... not sold yet on the news I've read about it.

If you can't use it in operations, it's not content to me but just a little extra.

Overall Bioware does do quite well.

The Kaon flashpoint turned out great, they have a lot of flashpoints left that lack a hard mode and can be turned into Tier 2 hard mode flashpoints further down the way and Karagga's Palace is quite entertaining - more so than Eternity Vault imho.

Daily missions right now are alright, they don't take to long considering the rewards and I'm really looking forward to what they might add on Correllia.

Another flashpoint that concludes an interesting story line and an operation that (hopefully) gives us the feeling of waging war against the opposite faction.

Having 3 characters at level 50, the game was almost bug free for me (outside of Eternity Vault ofc) ... either that's luck or whatever, but it might bias my perception of BW's work.

I'm still excited about the game - or rather what's going to come - despite actually hating Star Wars - other than the universe being something quite different for a MMO as most of them tend to be high fantasy.

Oh and graphics are great - not so much engine wise, but I really like the fighting animations.

tl;dr

Good start with very little bug outside the first operation. (for me at least)

Fun PvP minigames to pass time, but not to take seriously.

10 bosses thus far and nightmare mode being where it should be for the first tier of a new game - easy once you are geared and know what you're doing, but you still can't just slack off.

Some stuff that was missing (like cooldown count) already included.

Still missing lots of stuff that should've been there at the start (combat log, LFG for PvE, better balance between crew skills).

A lot of stuff included in the next major patch - if they'll include everything I know of right now it will be a really large patch that will touch every aspect of the game.

If they do it right the game will prevail - if not it will die soon. The first content patches are always the most important - even more so than what the game is like at release.

Edit:

I really sometimes think people aren't understanding what game developement - or rather developing new content - means ... it's not just a couple of geeks coding some new stuff that came to their mind under the shower.

There's concept art for new mobs and items, people who write up plausible stories for quests and instances, teams to balance PvE fights and every skill of every class, people who have to design the structure and patterns for new zones and even after those countless hours of work you still have nothing to actually include in the game - everything's still on paper.

Edited by Hxxr

So it's been three months since launch, and what has Bioware done? Bioware needs to take a long, hard look at Trion (the new bar for MMO devs), take a few notes, and get busy. I suspect there is too much celebrating going on in Austin for them to even recognize that their update schedule is laughable (the blind arrogance of this dev team regarding their "success" with this titanic is astounding). Players these days will not tolerate a so-so patch (made up of stuff that any crap F2P MMO has at launch) every 4 months. Bioware needs to wake up, get some humility, and get to work. I wish I would have listened to EA Louse.

WoW... you guys are still here?! You must love this game.

I cant understand, just wish you'd be more honest about it. :)

My only note to this is: In WoW you have to wait 6 months or more for a patch and you get an expansion with pandas and pokemon wich unbalances the game mechanics even more between classes.

RIFT, i played for a few hours. If theres a game to rage on its RIFT. It did much right, but it failed to have any kind of charm that kept you sucked in. If you're into it by any means, enjoy.

I was used to having to suffer through months of boring content, now i get content i can clear in a couple of months and a new meaty patch every 3 months?! I'm thrilled and couldnt be more pleased. I actually dont feel like im beeing ripped off like i did with blizzard.

Edited by Nemmar

Agree. And everyone who disagrees have not played Rift so they don't know the awesomeness the Trion developers are.

The patches that have been released are so small I feel as though there hasn't been a single update in this game.

Rift isnt an all that game, but its better than wow! My opinon. I've played that game before and its bland at best! Uninteresting story and mty zones to on alot of servers.

Rift isnt an all that game, but its better than wow! My opinon. I've played that game before and its bland at best! Uninteresting story and mty zones to on alot of servers.

Hes talking about the developers. Who used a small percentage of what Bw did. Who also fixed issues. Who also added a lot of content. Dont miss the point. Again. Ok. Jumpy.

I disagree with the OP and honestly the way you write makes you seem incredibly spoiled.

Says you. How can you assume so much from a bunch of sentences?

Same way everyone seems to know the employees at BW well enough to say something about their character, intentions and intelligence.

I think perception on how fast content is release depends on player.

blizzard relese a new patch every 6 month, chances are, dragon soul will be out for a year before we see the new expansion. I have been thinking that's normal, 6 month wait for a new 7-8 bosses raid.

Then bioware comes along, give us a new raid 1 month after release and another raid 3 month later, i find the content release quite fast, but that's because i have been trained by wow.

Trion have been by far the best company of any with an mmo regarding updates.

Considering the money Bioware has, fixes and patches are disgustingly slow.

Bioware, seriously get your act together and get more developers. If u don't want your game to fail get your *** in gear and get information to the public and some recent patches released

I disagree. CCP has Trion beat hands down. CCP bought out Whitewolf a few years back, and now has all of their writing and artistic talent behind EVE.

EVE expansions come every year, and they are HUGE expansions for that game, and they are free.

Can you un-sub now... go back to Rift, we don't want your 'I WANT EVERYTHING NOW DO IT MY WAY' attitude round these ere' parts.

Why? He is partly correct. Trion has released a lot of updates with a lot of content regularly. I don't see why it's that big of a deal. Developers should look at Trion and figure out how they pump out new content regularly.

It's possible people didn't play Rift, and don't know how absolutely awesome Trion was with getting content out and interacting with their players. To say it's dumb that other companies shouldn't look at Trion as something to emulate is really ignorant. It's called a market, if you don't fulfill your customers expectations then you will lose money.

Yeah the difference is in WoW the HM bosses are actually hard and can take weeks to get down, in SWTOR its so easy. you clear the content a hell of alot quicker in SWTOR so they have to release OPS alot quicker. Edited by Barlan

Have any of you bothered to think, perhaps, SWTOR is not marketed toward the hardcore MMO scene? Even WoW went casual.

That's where the money is. Casual players. The 9-5 working dad who has a few hours to play each day.

Blizzard figured this out with Cataclysm: hardcore players are a dying breed. They're growing up, they're getting jobs, they're having kids, they don't have the time anymore. When MMOs were relatively niche and not mainstream, sure the hardcore player base was the lifeblood.

Times have changed.