New patch and server maintenance at peak time?

defendurname

I can't even begin to describe how freaking horrible it is to take down the servers during PRIMETIME EVENING - Patch it during the night you *********** idiots and learn theres actually something outside the *********** US of *********** A. Edited by Lantador

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone - we apologize for the inconvenience. We do everything we can to avoid taking the servers down for maintenance outside of our regular weekly maintenance, but in some cases (like this one, unfortunately) we can't avoid it. This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our weekend pass trial weekend. We never take interrupting your playtime lightly, and this is no exception. Emergencies do happen occasionally, and we are working as quickly as we can to bring the servers back up so you can continue enjoying the game. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated with any new information that becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to ensure everything goes smoothly this weekend.

your bakery goods are weak old man

Rofl they are now patching to get ready for their free weekend invites. "So we will f* up with few subscribers we have left, but let’s hope we will get some new noobs with trials"

So instead of bug fixing BW is working on trial stuff and patching that’s fair.

Another epic fail.

Closing the servers during peak time with 15 minutes warning.

Firstly it's annoying that the servers need to go down:

It'll be another hotfix due to the lack of testing that goes on (there is not a usable PTR so how can testing happen...).

Second more annoying is the time you decide to do it:

Yet again the policy of having the servers in one location proves to be a poor choice, it may reduce your running costs but it's proving to be a major headache for European players (we do afterall pay a lot of the running costs).

And the history of timing speaks for itself, this isn't a one off - it always seems to be during peak EU hours. We've had weekends, public holidays, peak times in the evening... In fact it's probably fair to say you couldn't pick worse times to do it.

You're not winning yourself any fans BIOWARE!

Question to the developers: Just a thought, but why not sort a usable PTR as your first priority?

Then the impact of patches on the live game will be minimal.

SWTOR has been loosing subscribers at about ~2-3% per week http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/totals in US and even faster http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu in EU

Bringing down servers at prime-time for 40% of their subscribers, multiple days in a row, will shorten the inevitable demise....

Meh. We all know this is a tide-me-over game with no lasting appeal.

It'll be done and dusted within two years.

you do know anyone who posts in this forum is obviously still subbed..... you cant post if you dont have a subscription.. so jokes on you

You can unsub and still have time left smart guy...

Edited by Fugara

I'm another European (UK) player who has just come home from work and found to my surprise that I couldn't play!

I accept that hotfixes are sometimes needed for MMOs, but - and maybe I just have a faulty memory - I can't remember in my four years of WoW that the servers went down for a patch at peak (European) time.

It would be nice if BioWare could deploy teams, like Blizzard, to ensure that maintenance times are adjusted for time zones. But, I do understand that that would require spending (probably a lot) of money, and since we're living in unstable economic times, that might not be very desirable from a business point of view.

I can also understand it's a lot simpler to deploy a patch all in one go across every server zone.

Overall, I'd prefer it if we could have a team for Europe (and I guess Asia too) who deploys patches at a non-peak time... but maybe it's one for the future.

I also have to say, it's a very insular view to say that; because BioWare is an North American company, no-one else outside of America has any right to be annoyed about not being able to play at a peak time. I don't think the players who are saying this would be thrilled at the prospect of not being able to play at their peak time.

It's also foolish to generalise that 'all American people are stupid', or whatever. That's just basic playground idiocy, in my book. There are uninformed people and then also very wise people of all nationalities and the proportions are never that different, in my experience.

Edited by Aeli

Everyone - we apologize for the inconvenience. We do everything we can to avoid taking the servers down for maintenance outside of our regular weekly maintenance, but in some cases (like this one, unfortunately) we can't avoid it. This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our Weekend Pass Trial weekend. We never take interrupting your playtime lightly, and this is no exception. Emergencies do happen occasionally, and we are working as quickly as we can to bring the servers back up so you can continue enjoying the game. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated with any new information that becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to ensure everything goes smoothly this weekend.

I fail to see how preparing for a free weekend constitutes an emergency.

i laughed when i seen all the qq, us aussies are use to servers going down each week in wow for the last 7 years peak time , this is a game in the usa, usa population playerbase is bigger then any off us.

deal with it or you can just pack your bags and move to the usa that would solve all your problems :)

Can it be so hard to implement rolling maintenance that starts according to the actual time-zones?

This is a serious blunder from EA/Bioware that needs to be fixed ASAP!

If not, the GMT zone will soon be as populated as Tjernobyl...

Edited by Unionbaron

I'm serriously going to start posting exploits on the dev forums each day until i run out so they emergency patch this time every day. I mean this is just to funny. Serriously. Make a monty python MMO or something and keep it in house. Because you obviously cant come up with your own games, so flame america for being good at making games and fixing them when they need fixed when your "about to raid!" for christ sake people are pug'ing HM ops now. like its a big deal.

Lol this threads going faster than the one about the really late Friday update that ended up being about maps.

No doubt!! I posted while page 31 was last page here...by the time I hit post there were 20 more pages added in the time it took to type 3 sentences..

This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our Weekend Pass Trial weekend.

Seriously? You're doing a patch during European prime time, for some advertising stunt, and without care for your paying customers?

Whoever is responsible for this, should get fired immediately ...

Well, if anyone had an argument that the SWTOR community was better than WoW, this thread blows that clean out of the water. Lol.

I dunno 'bout that...looks to be about equal to me unless WoW General has mellowed in the 4 or 5 years I've been gone.