Respec of advance class needs to be implemented

LoL-K-Noob

re'specc'in between a duel wielding dps monster to a single saber damage tank is too far a stretch to be fair,
Why? I do it in wow all the time when I switch my DK from his blood tank to his frost dps spec...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what "other games" do.
Bioware.

Bioware designed AC to be totally different classes, and that's what I was commenting on. They are designed as different classes despite what the guy I quoted feels.
Not really; if they were designed as different classes there'd be differences in the storyline, and they wouldn't have had the option to switch AC during beta. So clearly the decision to pretend they're separate classes came after the design phase.

calling them different classes is just ignoring how this game was designed.

Its silly to play the exact same story line twice to experience both classes.

If you don't go through all those quests then how are you going to learn the new class?

If you have spent forty levels as a Sage then you have spent a lot of time learning how to play the class, having new abilities added slowly so you get used to them. If you switch to a Shadow then you now have a level 50 shadow with tens of abilities that you have no idea how to use. Where or when are you going to learn those?

My suggestion, opposite faction mirror.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

My Empire characters: Juggernaut, Sorcerer, Operative, Powertech.

Republic: Sentinel, Shadow, Gunslinger, Commando.

Considering they suggested that we will be getting long quest chains that require characters of both factions to do, that reward amazing stuff. This is the best approach. You see all 8 storylines, while still having all 8 ACs.

Yes, and soe said that it's impossible to expand the bank. Dev's say a lot of things that aren't actually true.

Shadow vs sage = feral vs resto/balance druid.

Sage and shadow are the same class.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the basis for not allowing it is that people asked for it to be that way during beta (you know, back when you could do that); so if people feel differently now that the game is live, they should continue to talk about it. If enough people want it, I'm sure it will happen.

That's the comparison you make? A TECHNICAL quote that either they were mistaken on or just didn't feel like pursuing so they made something up, versus a design philosophy standpoint? Those have nothing in common with each other.

And I said that whole basis thing because when asked if they were planning to allow AC changing they said "No, AC are fundamentally different class designs."

What they originally intended has no bearing on what I said. As of right now they say that AC are DIFFERENT classes, effectively calling them liars and thinking that you know more about what they intend than they do design-wise is just ignorant.

That being said they could a complete 180 tomorrow and say they are the same classes and AC switching is coming in 1.2. Still doesn't have any effect whatsoever on what I've stated in my posts.

Class quests make up only about a 3rd of all the questing you do. All the other quests are exactly the same.

If you are suggesting that AC respec should be allowed to avoid having to repeat storylines... better get leveling because that's the WORST reason to do it.

It sounds to me like you are very, very lazy and don't want to level up another toon.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

My Empire characters: Juggernaut, Sorcerer, Operative, Powertech.

Republic: Sentinel, Shadow, Gunslinger, Commando.

Considering they suggested that we will be getting long quest chains that require characters of both factions to do, that reward amazing stuff. This is the best approach. You see all 8 storylines, while still having all 8 ACs.

Ya lets roll on a faction our guild isnt on, a real winner.

Class quests make up only about a 3rd of all the questing you do. All the other quests are exactly the same.

If you are suggesting that AC respec should be allowed to avoid having to repeat storylines... better get leveling because that's the WORST reason to do it.

It sounds to me like you are very, very lazy and don't want to level up another toon.

Or maybe I like to play games for fun and not a chore.

No they're not. The devs have even said that AC are DIFFERENT classes. That's their whole basis for not allowing AC changes.

The devs could come to my very doorstep and tell me that the oranges in my fridge are actually bananas, but they would still be oranges though.

You can't answer with something idiotic to a valid argument and pretend to be right, you just can't. The guy just told you why acs aren't really different classes making a very strong example, and your answer basically was "they are because the devs say so." ... weak.

The one and ONLY dev basis for not allowing ac changes for now is money, as for now having people wasting their gametime on rolling basically the same class to have access to its different set of specs is more profitable as people are still inclined on making chars since the game is new, later on when it wil be more likely to keep getting people's money through convenience i'm sure ac switching will be allowed.

Edited by Maltra

The devs could come to my very doorstep and tell me that the oranges in my fridge are actually bananas, but they would still be oranges though.

You can't answer with something idiotic to a valid argument and pretend to be right, you just can't. The guy just told you why acs aren't really different classes making a very strong example, and your answer basically was "they are because the devs say so." ... weak.

The one and ONLY dev basis for not allowing ac changes for now is money, as for now having people wasting their gametime on rolling basically the same class to have access to its different set of specs is more profitable as people are still inclined on making chars since the game is new, later on when it wil be more likely to keep getting people's money through convenience i'm sure ac switching will be allowed.

Indeed, its all about money. Makes me laugh as well at the people objecting to this. Its equivalent to them saying no chat bubbles at all! Dont like it play another game!.

Edited by LoL-K-Noob

Both are consulars yes, but neither one has the same skill tree.

They have different abilities in their advance class. A sage will not have the same abilities a shadow has.

A sage relies more on force powers, a shadow more on stealth and Infiltration and they use a double blade.

The only thing that they share is their basic abilities. The rest of the abilities are totally different.

Jedi Sage

"Sages are famed for their wisdom much as for their powerful healing and defensive skills. In troubled times, a Sage brings together the insight of the past with raw power to change the flow of galactic events

Telekinetics

"Affords the power to distort reality and move waves of energy, tearing apart enemies."

"Ranged Damage using Force attacks, such as ‘Telekinetic Blast’ which does high damage in an ‘area-of-effect’

Seer

"Allows the Sage to master the art of using the Force to heal and protect allies.

"Healing and buffs using the Force, with abilities like Serenity to boost Force regeneration and reduce damage taken."

Jedi Shadow

"Wielding double-bladed Lightsabers, Shadows embrace the synergy between melee and Force combat, enabling them to strike down enemies of the Order with deadly efficiency."

Infiltration

"Masters of stealth, these Shadows use positional attacks and surprise to defeat foes."

Kinetic Combat

"Uses the double-bladed Lightsaber defensively to protect the Shadow and his allies."

"The Shadow Advanced Class now has a skill tree that allows them to fill the role of a tank effectively, using a double blade lightsaber.

As far as respec of ac be implemented this was discussed before the game came out over and over again and the devs decided not to do it.

Whether you like it or not it's not the choice they have made. For now we have to accept what the devs have decided.

Indeed, its all about money. Makes me laugh as well at the people objecting to this. Its equivalent to them saying no chat bubbles at all! Dont like it play another game!.

With regard to chat bubbles read what they said in the guild summit:

Chat bubbles – we used to have chat bubbles in the game but it dragged the performance of the game down so we had to remove it – we believe we have fixed this issue so you should see this feature pretty soon.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

While I would LOVE this (I really debated between sage and shadow) I could see a huge MESS of an issue from a development side of it. But despite all that, I am not sure I really want to implement this.

Also, I think I like having a shadow and a sage to play on. For one thing, I'm very focused on being a DPS/Backup tank on my shadow. When I play Sage, I'm going to be part nuker but mostly healer. Those two paradigms will completely change my gear set up and style of play. I played FFXI for a long time that had a very robust job system where you could change your class at will. You could change from a "warrior" to a "mage" in a jiffy (as an earlier commenter mentioned but in WoW). It really wasn't as crazy as others make it sound. But you have to understand what disadvantages a system like that brings. And how much pre-planning in the development stages you need to pull that off. FFXI was designed like that from the beginning. SWTOR wasn't. It's not a simple task of flipping the switch and letting characters change their advance classes. Developers have to make sure there is a balance and that people stick to it.

Take for example the person who wants to complete every job, every story, and do every class. These are the same people who don't know how to play their class, have cruddy equipment, and totally think they're elite because all their jobs are level 99. I didn't run into that a whole lot but when I did it destroyed my fun for the day.

That being said, SWTOR is nothing like FFXI. The amount of tweaking and fixing they'd have to make to their current foundation means less time to fix and improve the things they REALLY should improve on rather then change the core experience of their game this much time after launch. SWTOR wasn't designed to be a class changing game and to introduce those features at this point would be a huge mess for a long time. You'd see people leaving the game in droves. Frankly, I like where they're taking this game. When I want to play a change-at-whim class game I'll go back to FFXI.

Edited by Bewoulff

Its silly to play the exact same story line twice to experience both classes. A long or hard quest should be implemented and upon completion you choose the other AC.

Why would they hand you something that someone else had to work for? So, if I have a 50 Sorcerer and 50 Assassin, you think you're entitled to cheapen my effort by getting both for the effort of leveling a single toon?

And yes, what you get *does* take away from me, it's not a single player game.

If you don't go through all those quests then how are you going to learn the new class?
Spend a bit of time perusing the forums, and then an evening or 2 playing around with it, just like I would for any other respec.

If you have spent forty levels as a Sage then you have spent a lot of time learning how to play the class, having new abilities added slowly so you get used to them. If you switch to a Shadow then you now have a level 50 shadow with tens of abilities that you have no idea how to use. Where or when are you going to learn those?
1 or 2 evenings, with guildies probably. Probably a bit of soloing first.

the game isn't exactly rocket science.

Edited by ferroz

Both are consulars yes, but neither one has the same skill tree.

They have different abilities in their advance class. A sage will not have the same abilities a shadow has.

A feral druid has abilities that a balance druid doesn't have (and even more abilities that a balance druid would never use) and vice versa.

A tank/dps shadow and a dps sage actually have more abilities that they both use than a feral druid and balance druid do.

A sage relies more on force powers, a shadow more on stealth and Infiltration and they use a double blade.
shadows use a lot of force powers as well; only 1 of the shadow specs actually depends on stealth iirc.

As far as respec of ac be implemented this was discussed before the game came out over and over again and the devs decided not to do it.
Actually, as I recall it was implemented and then removed.

Whether you like it or not it's not the choice they have made. For now we have to accept what the devs have decided.
No, if you don't like what the dev's have decided, you should say that you don't like it. You should talk with other people who don't like it.

That's how games get changed.

That's why color crystals no longer have an alignment requirement.

Edited by ferroz

What they originally intended has no bearing on what I said.
No, it has a lot on what you said. You said "Bioware designed AC to be totally different classes" and that's just totally false. They weren't designed to be totally different classes, and that's clear based on the reasons that have already been stated.

As of right now they say that AC are DIFFERENT classes, effectively calling them liars and thinking that you know more about what they intend than they do design-wise is just ignorant.
Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.

No, it has a lot on what you said. You said "Bioware designed AC to be totally different classes" and that's just totally false. They weren't designed to be totally different classes, and that's clear based on the reasons that have already been stated.

I'm sorry, but you have stated no reasons that are valid. All I see is constant comparisons to WoW characters and their talent trees. Talent specs, and abilities gained through talents =/= core class abilities. You seem to misunderstand this.

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.

No, examining the different core class abilities and playstyles of the individual ACS confirms the sensible conclusion that they are different classes.

Are a sage and a shadow the same? No.. No sir they are not. One has stealth, one doesn't. One is primarily melee / short range force, the other is mostly a long range caster. One has heals, the other does not. One can tank, the other cannot. These two seperate classes share some basic abilities, however the important (playstle) abilities are entirely different.

On top of all of this, the devs claim they are not the same class. All the wow comparisons in the world wont help you justify how *similar* the AC's are, or how they are the same class.

And to use one of your examples. I am a frost mage. I am a long range spellcaster with a pet. I also have some c/c options and high burst. I am a destro warlock, I am a long range spellcaster with a a pet. I also have some c/c options and high burst.

So i guess mage and warlock are the same class? I guess blizz will let us change classes if we want right? Coz they're so obviously the same!! I wonder why in seven years of the games' existence they have not allowed this? Gee.. i wonder what could be keeping them..

Why would they hand you something that someone else had to work for?

You didn't work for anything, you played a video game. Also using colored text for your entire post doesn't make you special.

Edited by Rogmar

You didn't work for anything, you played a video game. Also using colored text for your entire post doesn't make you special.

If it's not work, even more reason to not hand it to you. Play the game.

/thread