Vehicles on the fleet: out of hand!

RamathRS

Didn't see it, but if it was a server-wide toggle I'd be against it. Speeders in most areas work, just not on the fleet.

It may be the lack of caffeine talking here but how would it work if say I had it toggled off and yet someone was moving at level 50 speeder...speed?

I can't quite imagine that.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree with doing something about the vehicles on teh fleet. The big car speeders are worthless except for people who feel the need to show off their e-peen and quite frankly the number of ***-hats who think it's cool to block access to vendors and all the other items we need to get to on the fleet and in other areas are getting worse and worse.

Any solution that keeps this kind of griefing down is fine by me as long as it is just that - a solution.

Options:

- Ban all vehicles. Fine by me. I don't mind running around at normal speed - (wait for all the people who want everything "insta" to flame me now).

- Restrict speeders to smaller sized ones. Fine by me.

- Restrict all speeders but apply an area buff that yields near speeder like running speed. Fine by me.

- Put those little "speeder bikes" from Nar Shaddaa (impside) all over - the ones that break with any interaction. Fine by me. (BY THE BY - Bioware - how come only the imp side of Nar Shaddaa has those????? o.O )

I have a question. It's a serious question, one of genuine interest.

Why? I never understood the need to run in circles and jump. Doesn't bother me when others do it but I never could figure out why people did it?

Thanks!

Well, I confess I am one of those running around in circles and other less geometric patterns, though I do not jump. The thing is, I do it while on the vent/ts with someone and talking. When I am on the normal "real-life" phone for longer than a minute than I tend to walk around my flat all the time, too. I have no idea why, but during conversation over speaker+microphone I always feel the urge to walk, and it carries over into the virtual world. Also, walking greatly helps me think about difficult stuff.

- Put those little "speeder bikes" from Nar Shaddaa (impside) all over - the ones that break with any interaction. Fine by me. (BY THE BY - Bioware - how come only the imp side of Nar Shaddaa has those????? o.O )

Ugh hell no. These things are ugly. They took a model of the normal classic SW-style speeder bikes and chopped of the entire front (and I think also some part in the rear), it looks so weird, like an unfinished model or a graphical glitch. I would prefer to walk instead of riding that abomination.:D

Edited by Mephane

Override every vehicle skill people have and make them always spawn the exact same model of "Fleet Transit Trolley" for everyone when on the fleet. Cars inside a space station with stairs etc make no sense anyway.

Think "floating segway" - a minimal handle and a bar down to a tiny platform with some sort of minimal engine. Would respect the travel speed that people had bought, too (90/100/110%).

:D

I think it is a really sad thing that we can't have a variety of mount types and sizes because some people are so impressed with themselves for dropping a million creds or getting a loot drop in a video game that they have to drive around the fleet with them.

Anyone who has access to these mounts can easily afford to buy a smaller one for use on the fleets, they simply CHOOSE to act like a bunch of bratty kindergarteners.

BTW...if you honestly think anyone over the age of 14 is sitting there thinking "WOW that guy is awesome!!!" instead of "what a sad little man" you are only kidding yourself. :p

Edited by Cancrizans

Override every vehicle skill people have and make them always spawn the exact same model of "Fleet Transit Trolley" for everyone when on the fleet. Cars inside a space station with stairs etc make no sense anyway.

Think "floating segway" - a minimal handle and a bar down to a tiny platform with some sort of minimal engine. Would respect the travel speed that people had bought, too (90/100/110%).

Now this guy is using his brain...

I think it is a really sad thing that we can't have a variety of mount types and sizes because some people are so impressed with themselves for dropping a million creds or getting a loot drop in a video game that they have to drive around the fleet with them.

I have this thing about underlying causes and consequences... in this case, the game has a real emphasis on chasing baubles and improved armor/cars/guns, you name it. Much like modern-day society, at that. That leads to a desire to show off how successful you are, "watch my huge car, peons, and envy me", that sort of thing.

It's an inevitable consequence of the basic design, a symptom. And you can't fix symptoms by getting people to change voluntarily, you're asking them to go against the grain and what they're otherwise encouraged to do. You can only either change the system (in this case, impossible, you'd have to change the entire premise of the game) or you can enforce a ban across the board, which is doable in this case since Bioware can make it literally impossible to spawn a car. In the real world, there's no way to really enforce a ban on almost anything (which is why we have such a hideous mess of a world atm - a horrifyingly bad basic design and bans designed to correct the worst of it that simply cannot be sufficiently enforced - but that's another rant.)

So either ban them outright or do what I suggest in a post above, override any vehicle spawned on the fleet with an almost nonexistent vehicle that just serves to move you faster with no "status" attached to it, a "floating segway".

Edited by Nexdine

Well, I confess I am one of those running around in circles and other less geometric patterns, though I do not jump. The thing is, I do it while on the vent/ts with someone and talking. When I am on the normal "real-life" phone for longer than a minute than I tend to walk around my flat all the time, too. I have no idea why, but during conversation over speaker+microphone I always feel the urge to walk, and it carries over into the virtual world. Also, walking greatly helps me think about difficult stuff.

Yes, I agree that in RL walking helps with the thinking needed to sort things sometimes. :)

That isn't what puzzles me...it's the jackrabbits that boggle me. Heh.

The lawn mowers are fine, it's the big ***** rides that get in the way. I lost track of how many times i've clicked on a player rather than the mail box or GTN.

There should be some sort of auto dismount when your next to the GTN or mail box. That way you can ride around to your hearts content, and we can shop or mail in peace.

on fleet ban mounts and buff run speed to compensate, later add a new deck with obvious markings to allow for epeeen races

I like these ideas! For those for whom racing and showing off is important, this would be great, right? I dunno, I'm not one of 'em but it sounds good.

And for the rest, I won't have to load into someone's land yacht. :D

on fleet ban mounts and buff run speed to compensate

I totally support this suggestion.

In the beginning, I was really glad to see that the mailboxes, vendors and other points of public interest were not covered in stupid dragon mounts woosh-wooshing their stupid wings, but those spacious big vehicles which we see more and more of are slowly changing the situation.

At least the vehicles do not have idling combustion engines, or else it would be necessary to ditch the headset while on fleet too.

+1 for this

I was on the fleet last week and 3 idiots from the same guild contrived to park their oversized speeders around the pvp daily terminal completely blocking it. After asking for a couple of minutes that they move, I was in the process of writing down their names when they buggered off...

You cant really "morph" something a player have worked for into something else and you cant really ban all mounts on the station.

What you can do is make a highway / autobahn ring around the station.. with off and on ramps.. high speed lanes that takes you to different sections of the station, but you cant drive inside the sections it self...

So you take the highway to the gtn section, head to the off ramp and you get dis-mounted while you are inside that section... going back to the on-ramp you can mount again to drive around the highway / autobahn to a different section.. or around an d around and around if you so like for that matter.

You cant really "morph" something a player have worked for into something else and you cant really ban all mounts on the station.

Sure you can. If the morphing idea doesn't work, then ban all mounts *except* for the fleet-specific mini-vehicle. Maybe make buying that vehicle another little money sink, even, though I still think automatically providing it on the fleet to anyone with a vehicle would be the least disruptive.

Another fix that would de-grief the accidental or intentional griefers - make the shops, quest givers etc extend high enough into the air that you simply couldn't block them with mounts of any kind.

Edit: and frankly I'd get a real charge out of seeing a decked-out level 50 trooper with a really aggressive look to the armor set tooling around on a floating segway. That would be worth the price of admission right there. Well, until I had to get on my own segway and scurry along with cape flowing in the breeze. :)

Edited by Nexdine

What you can do is make a highway / autobahn ring around the station.. with off and on ramps.. high speed lanes that takes you to different sections of the station, but you cant drive inside the sections it self...

So you take the highway to the gtn section, head to the off ramp and you get dis-mounted while you are inside that section... going back to the on-ramp you can mount again to drive around the highway / autobahn to a different section.. or around an d around and around if you so like for that matter.

You...have no idea how much work goes into designing a level, do you? That's just not a practical solution at all - the entire station area would have to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, all the environmental models that make up the detailing of the station remade, remapped and retextured, everything would have to be bugtested to ensure there were no issues with clipping.

All for players to use their mounts on the fleet in a way that doesn't intrude on vendor/GTN/mailbox areas? Plain and simple, that's not going to happen.

Banning speeders and offering an areawide buff to movement speed is the most reasonable course of action, at least in my opinion. Realistically? If Bioware take mounts off us on the fleets, they probably won't implement the area-wide buff. People will moan about it for a month at most, then move on when they stop complaining and simply adjust to the extra 30 seconds they have to spend on the fleets.

There are easier solutions, it could be made that if you click anything (GTN, postbox, quest giver anything) on fleet while mounted it's an auto dismount (and you are blocked from remounting until you close all windows) and auto dismounted when your character goes into the auto AFK status.

That way you can mount up and move, but when you don't need to move you can't stay mounted. It would stop all the vehicles just hanging around.

Edit: grammar.

This is the best advice/most constructive feedback I've seen yet. You already auto-dismount when looting/using a gathering node etc, I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility to do this.

Don't take away my large speeders or stop coming out with new ones, no reason to make this game any less Star Warsy.