New updated sub numbers (Official)

Improv-

This predicting the future doesn't say anything. "At current rate we expect..."

My bro and I extended our playtime in januari with a GC, which ends 20 march.

He already quit, i'm quitting the 20th. And so are many more people on my server.

Also can anyone tell me how it's possible the servers were heavy/full all the time during 1st month now all are low/standard even though EA claims there was no drop? :rolleyes:

It came out during Christmas break... That's how.

I played for 3 weeks straight during that time, then went back to work in January, as most who played in the first month did.

Hense activity is down, but not necessarily subs. Use your head.

launching 5 days before Christmas was absolutely the worst possible thing this game could have done for itself. There is no busier playing time this game could ever have than it did when it launched. Of course the activity is down.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not really the point of this thread. The point is that many of those who are disgruntled with the game have said for weeks that the game is dying, that the subscription numbers are down to 600-700,000 (or some other number much lower than 1.7M), that the game is going f2p, etc etc (these are typical examples). They are unhappy with the game and for some reason they can't stand the thought of others being happy with it. This thread is a reaction to this attitude.

Personally it's fun to theorycraft based on your knowledge of the industry and predict trends. Kinda like reading Guns Germs & Steel, it's kinda fun to observe as a microsm unfolds by the various mitigating factors. The game isn't dying, it isn't a smash success either and time will tell if the Pendulum swings in either direction. Just because someone disagrees with doesn't mean they are out to destory your happiness.

I had a really fun time debating whether or not the game had hit 2 million subscribers. The majority of people discussing seemed to believe it was north of 2million while I kept holding on the sediment Bioware would of announced it cause they announced every accomplishment previously. Low and behold I was right but on the flipside I was wrong that subscriptions were a bit higher then I predicted, I had a low of 1.35m~ and a high of 1.55m~.

I don't think the common notion is the game is dying, people are just confused about the amount of activity going on some particular servers that they trapped on. The problem is we don't know in what frequency or if in fact, people are being malicious and lying about their populations numbers for good or evil. I've seen enough people say "Going F2P" as I've seen 2.5/3million active subs, enjoy the debate!

Edited by Touchbass

I played for 3 weeks straight during that time, then went back to work in January, as most who played in the first month did.

Excuse me... people have a life and don't quit their job for 3 weeks to play a videogame 24/7. So saying 'as most who played in the first month did' is a flat out lie.

I play this game since beta, got early access on the 15th. Played a little because of school and 3 part time jobs, then when I finally had a break from all of them I went on a new years vacation with my girlfriend. Like most people do around christmas and new years. Go to school, work hard, and go on a well earned vacation. :rolleyes:

Of course it has the same amount of subscribers!

I subscribed for 3 months, I still have 40 days left and I wish I hadn't. I'd rather spend that money in a pub, because I barely log in now.

I actually log in only to raid, and we clear the content in 2 hours IF others log in, but they don't, anymore. From 16 mans we can now barely do 8 mans, the guild is empty, and people stopped playing, but still have subs running. All our core players, all the strongest ones had enough.

As much as I was a fan of Bioware and loved the idea of Star Wars MMO this game is nothing but another pathetic attempt to copy the big "borecraft".

Bioware is doing so many bad decisions lately, that I feel disgusted that I even paid them 25 pounds. ME3 is the last game I buy from this company, that includes Subscriptions.

TOR is not dead to me, Bioware is. From a great company to a thieving villan. Nice one!

TOR is not dead to me, Bioware is. From a great company to a thieving villan. Nice one!

Could've told you that from the start. It's the only reason why an RTS like Warcraft III or an RPG like KotOR can transform into MMOs: because the developer sees opportunity to make fast cash.

Still, I was almost in the same boat as you. Also was thinking to take a 6-month sub since I really liked the game in beta and early access. Also have some coupon cards so that i'd be able to get GCs cheaper. Glad I didn't use those either.

Edited by dnomz

Excuse me... people have a life and don't quit their job for 3 weeks to play a videogame 24/7. So saying 'as most who played in the first month did' is a flat out lie.

I play this game since beta, got early access on the 15th. Played a little because of school and 3 part time jobs, then when I finally had a break from all of them I went on a new years vacation with my girlfriend. Like most people do around christmas and new years. Go to school, work hard, and go on a well earned vacation. :rolleyes:

Wrong. Combine a new game plus the holidays and many people including myself and members of my guild logged 40+ hours/wk the first few weeks while now most are more like 5-10 hours a week.

Edited by Drewser

This predicting the future doesn't say anything. "At current rate we expect..."

My bro and I extended our playtime in januari with a GC, which ends 20 march.

He already quit, i'm quitting the 20th. And so are many more people on my server.

Also can anyone tell me how it's possible the servers were heavy/full all the time during 1st month now all are low/standard even though EA claims there was no drop? :rolleyes:

hahahaha, yeah... they had limits put on the servers to help distribute players more evenly (cause if they were full and hard to get into, they'd just go to another server)... later they raised the limits which is why you see a sudden drop now. the populations aren't less, just the capacity ratios appear to be skewed.

oh, also... can I has yer lootz?

When there subs hit 1 mill next month they will know they did something wrong

Ignoring that your comment is pure speculation with literally nothing to back it up... even if your statement were 100% true, a game with 1 million subs 4 months after launch is phenomenal in the current MMO market.

Even Bioware said their only goal is to be a leader in the industry and they stated that their metric for that was to have around a million subs.

Bioware is doing so many bad decisions lately, that I feel disgusted that I even paid them 25 pounds. ME3 is the last game I buy from this company, that includes Subscriptions.

(Emphasis mine.)

So to accentuate your withering contempt for Bioware, you declare that you're going to buy their newest game? "I'm boycotting you for life ... um, starting next week. No, I really mean it!"

Way to stay strong, man. Stick it to 'em. :D

I think you just said pretty much the same thing I did... People were on vacation during the first few weeks SW:TOR came out... Then went back to work and school.

So you call a loss of subscriber's "expanding"? Well I have news for you this game is way too casual friendly to have people play for the long run.

This game attracts solo players with its "story". Once they try out the different stories and maybe play a few "operations" whats left with them?

Don't try to tell me this games operations and pvp have any holding power. Getting geared in record time isn't going to keep subscribers. This game is too damn easy and there is no carrot on the stick incentive to keep playing since you can get geared so fast.

Also with rated warzones coming out there will be no gear upgrade for doing well in rated warzones? Really? How is that going to incentivize people to keep pvping over other well known pvp mmos. The game's engine isn't even built for smooth, fluid pvp action.

I like the game for it's pve content but it is way too easy and 1.2 won't change the fact that this game has no holding power.

Expect subscriptions to go down. They may fluctuate up and down but it won't grow at an enourmous pace.

So, we're just completely ignoring the fact that every MMORPG has terrible retention rates and that this game so far has some of the best? Fun fact, WoW, 30-40% of players do not level beyond level 10.

When there subs hit 1 mill next month they will know they did something wrong

I take the game wasn't what you expected, but there is no indication that the game will sink to 1 mill subscribers by next month. Only people who didn't like the game or hold a grudge cause the game didn't cater to their expectations would say such a thing. Most likely another hardcore player who was expecting the game to be hardcore when it was clearly designed with casuals in mind. Generally, hardcore players are only ones I see complaining on forums whether it be for pve or pvp. Perhaps if you hardcore players weren't on the computer playing this game like it's a job you wouldn't get bored so quickly or get angry for the recent pvp gear changes to come in 1.2.

Edited by Knockerz

I'll be honest here... I'm not sure what's being debated in this thread.

1.7 million subs is very good for any MMO 3 months after launch. Who knows where it's going 3 months from now, but right now it's doing very good. Perhaps second in the industry.

Are people saying those are low numbers?

Are people saying those numbers are false?

What's the argument here?

1.7 million subs is very good for any MMO 3 months after launch. Who knows where it's going 3 months from now, but right now it's doing very good. Perhaps second in the industry.

I think people are just voicing their opinions on anything in particular on the subject matter and going ape on anyone who trolls them.

1.7million is damn good.

The haters keep moving the goal posts back.

I think right now the current goal post for the haters is:

"SWTOR will fail when GW2 is released"

We already passed:

1 month

2 month

They are going for something bigger and more ambiguous.

Yes this game doesn't go down because:

1) Casuals keep playing because they like the easy mode

2) People just want to play with glowsticks and that's all they care about in an MMO

The people who actually came to play a good MMO, have all left or are about to.

The game anyway, because they are still on the forums it seems :-/

So hardcore that not only do you move on to something else, but you stay on the old games forums to tell the remaining people why they are stupid for liking it.

Seriously, why are you all on the forums if you quit? Go do something else.

All the haters keep claiming this game is dying or whatever.... but they are still here. You need to be a paying customer to post on these forums.

Not to mention, I've never posted on the forums of a game I thought was dying and had no interest in playing anymore....

All the haters keep claiming this game is dying or whatever.... but they are still here. You need to be a paying customer to post on these forums.

Not to mention, I've never posted on the forums of a game I thought was dying and had no interest in playing anymore....

Exactly, I don't friggin get it.

It's like they have a complex. They need validation for not liking a game, so they have to rain on people's parades in the forums should they so much as hint at liking the game.

Just resub like you know you will. **** or get off the pot.

The problem is you just label anyone with a dissenting view as a "hater" when in fact most people would very much like this game to be (at the very least) on par with other MMOs. Label people all you want but the fact is the people that post concerns regarding the standard features lacking in this game are the people that will keep the game from dying. Teh only haters are the people so complacent and unable to recognize flaws that they just come to the forums to suppress other people's views.

Maybe a start would be for all the *******s that label people as "haters" to go back to playing while those with standards and a comprehensive understanding of the markets step into the forums to discuss the future of content they pay for. It's obvious you don't get it so run along and play.

Edited by Cepheid

The problem is you just label anyone with a dissenting view as a "hater" when in fact most people would very much like this game to be (at the very least) on par with other MMOs. Label people all you want but the fact is the people that post concerns regarding the standard features lacking in this game are the people that will keep the game from dying. Teh only haters are the people so complacent and unable to recognize flaws that they just come to the forums to suppress other people's views.

Maybe a start would be for all the *******s that label people as "haters" to go back to playing while those with standards and a comprehensive understanding of the markets step into the forums to discuss the future of content they pay for like adults. Now run along and play.

You are wrong.

Read my post. I label people haters when they say game has failed or "I have unsubbed from this broken game." 1.7 Million subs say otherwise. Don't judge me for my opinions, just don't force yours on others.

Exactly, I don't friggin get it.

It's like they have a complex. They need validation for not liking a game, so they have to rain on people's parades in the forums should they so much as hint at liking the game.

Just resub like you know you will. **** or get off the pot.

Nerds are angriest and most self righteous people on the planet. True Story.