Bioware, what are you thinking?

Cancrizans

Now that it has been confirmed that getting a character of any race to 50 will allow you to roll that race as any class, I have to ask: Bioware, what are you thinking?

This is a HORRIBLE idea. It makes a total mockery of Star Wars lore, and will completely ruin the game's atmosphere and integrity. Simply from the perspective of a Republic player, I do not want to see a bunch of Purebloods and Chiss running around on Carrick Station, it will just look completely stupid.

It is lore breaking in the worst way and for the WORST reason: convenience. I for one am willing to forgo this "feature" until REAL new races are released...whether that be in the near future or several years down the road...or frankly...never.

This decision is so bad and so detrimental to the integrity of the game and even, given the fact that these games are being used these days as a source of "canon", to the Star Wars franchise as a whole, that this is something I would NEVER want to see in the game for any reason whatsoever.

For those who may think "well you have to have the race at level 50 to make one..." you should realize that that is an extremely minor limitation which will not significantly change the fact that you will be seeing an impossible number of these cross faction races running around once the patch hits.

I personally will not be able to suspend disbelief, and I ask that Bioware SERIOUSLY reconsiders this move, both for the health of the game and Star Wars as a whole. Star Wars is too significant and admired an IP to trifle with things like this simply so you can provide people with a "perk".

EDIT: Since so many people seem to want to pick and choose which aspects of this they want to respond to so they can have the last word without actually addressing the issue, and keep bringing up the notion that "there will always be X number of any race that switches to the other side etc. etc." without reading the 2 or 3 posts I made explaining why that is meaningless in the context of these changes, I will state reason that is so here.

Allowing that there will always be a percentage of a race that does not follow the normal political or ideological affiliations the majority holds...that is NOT what will be represented in the game if this change goes through. What we WILL see is an INORDINATE and UNBELIEVABLY large number of cross faction races, MUCH larger than anything that could EVER be explained by the idea that there will always be some who change sides.

That argument holds no water.

Edited by Cancrizans

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that, particularly in something like the SW universe, there are always members of a given race/faction/species/what have you that may not agree with their leaders and would prefer to join the opposing faction. So it makes just as much sense for a specific member of a given race to serve the race their government is opposing as to server the one it is affiliated with.

Sometimes I really wonder about you posters....

You know there's something called "free-will", if a Chiss doesn't want to be a part of the Empire or the Ascendancy he can defect, he has something called "choice" - do you know what that it is, cause I don't think you do. There are no nano-machines or implants inside him controlling his thoughts so please, shut up

Now that it has been confirmed that getting a character of any race to 50 will allow you to roll that character as any class, I have to ask: Bioware, what are you thinking?

This is a HORRIBLE idea. It makes a total mockery of Star Wars lore, and will completely ruin the game's atmosphere and integrity. Simply from the perspective of a Republic player, I do not want to see a bunch of Purebloods and Chiss running around on Carrick Station, it will just look completely stupid.

It is lore breaking in the worst way and for the WORST reason: convenience. I for one am willing to forgo this "feature" until REAL new races are released...whether that be in the near future or several years down the road...or frankly...never.

This decision is so bad and so detrimental to the integrity of the game and even, given the fact that these games are being used these days as a source of "canon", to the Star Wars franchise as a whole, that this is something I would NEVER want to see in the game for any reason whatsoever.

For those who may think "well you have to have the race at level 50 to make one..." you should realize that that is an extremely minor limitation which will not significantly change the fact that you will be seeing an impossible number of these cross faction races running around once the patch hits.

I personally will not be able to suspend disbelief, and I ask that Bioware SERIOUSLY reconsiders this move, both for the health of the game and Star Wars as a whole. Star Wars is too significant and admired an IP to trifle with things like this simply so you can provide people with a "perk".

Not witstanding the fact that you are applying hyperbolic drama......

You are not the IP and Lore police, Lucas Arts is. ;)

If Lucas Arts approves it, that's good enough for me, being as they own the IP, the lore trademarks and they decide what is/is-not part of the lore and the IP

This completely befuddles me.

I spend a fair amount of time on these forums and I don't recall anyone anywhere asking for this. Its possible I might have missed it but this really came out of the blue.

befuddle is a great word. I'm gonna add that as my current state of mind as well.

Apparently you can also use other classes abilities as a "perk" in PvE...there is video of a Smuggler using Force Choke and one of the Force using classes using Flame Thrower. While I understand there will be limitations on this, I find it completely ridiculous and in fact insulting that they even thought to include this kind of nonsense.

After waiting for this game for years, I cannot express how disappointed I am with this. It says to me that Bioware really has no respect for the integrity of the Star Wars IP, and is more interested in creating a Star Wars flavored carnival ride than a serious Star Wars MMO.

Considering all the races are different colored humans with the most exotic difference being tentacles out of the head/face, or horns, does it really matter that much?

Yes, because it is completely against lore and canon.

sure they could technically do it but its just stupid to see a bunch of pureblood jedi. things can be cool if theyre the exception, but when they become the norm (a la darth title) it completely devalues any sense of originality and it becomes banal and boring.

You have no idea idea what you're talking about. There's nothing in any Star Wars lore that says members of a race can't belong to a different society.

Wookiees are always put on a leash at Hutt parties and can't be card carrying members. Sand People are never allowed at Jedi conventions. There's racism everywhere...

There's nothing in any Star Wars lore that says members of a race can't belong to a different society.

Yeah not sure what the OP is talking about either.

The Lore is filled with different races working for different groups, or no group at all. Sure pure blood Sith on the republic side would be rare, but not unheard of. Same for Chris or any other race really.

Its a game....besides there were thousands of jedi running around on SWG when jedi in that era are suppose to be non-existent, didn't see anyone complainin about that(I mean ya obviously at first, but then it died down).

Isn't that game dead?

what is up with these RP neckbeards?

Look, BW is giving the OPTION to roll new classes as different species, if you don't like it, then don't do it. If it offends your delicate lore sensibilities that other players choose less-than-canon species for their class, TOO BAD. It's a video game, not a movie.

this thread is as obtuse as the guy objecting to the crystal alignment restrictions being lifted. Please go police police your RP server, not the entire game.

Sometimes I really wonder about you posters....

You know there's something called "free-will", if a Chiss doesn't want to be a part of the Empire or the Ascendancy he can defect, he has something called "choice" - do you know what that it is, cause I don't think you do. There are no nano-machines or implants inside him controlling his thoughts so please, shut up

The argument you and the above poster made is one I have seen several times...the only problem with it is it doesn't relate to the reality of the game.

Of course there may be SOME members of any racial group that my defect or cross sides...but not to the degree that will be represented in game if Bioware goes through with this. There will be FAR too many of these cross faction races running around for ANYONE to imagine it is a case of some realistic number of dissenters switching allegiances.

There is no way you can support what we will see in game with this kind of logic.

To ignore the post and answer the question in the header, here are the top things that Bioware Austin employees are thinking:

10. Should we make an ortolan plushy?

9. Boy am I glad I'm no longer a CSR at Dell.

8. If the Enterprise fought a Star Destroyer, who would win?

7. What if Kirk were in charge of the Enterprise?

6. Are there pink Sith?

5. Do I have time to swing by Ruta Maya on the way home?

4. Salt Lick vs Iron Works, who wins?

3. Rainbow light sabers...

2. Hey, who stole my Yoda doll, err action figure?

and

1. What's playing at the Alamo Drafthouse Friday night?

......Chiss running around on Carrick Station, it will just look completely stupid.

It is lore breaking in the worst way and for the WORST reason: convenience.....

No it's not -----> Chiss

Specifically:

"Some reports indicated that there were no Chiss Jedi and it was not known whether there was a Force-tradition within Chiss society.[1] However, this did not appear to be the case as there were at least two[18] known Force users amongst the Chiss.[21]

-- Refferences at the Starwars Wiki link.