Patch V1.2 Moved to April

Sunflake

so people cry about the game being released to early because it was not finished but now they are pushing content releases back because they are not done yet and people cry because they want it sooner?

it seems like no matter what bioware will do people will cry

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's not, as it was stated they were shooting for march but it could be pushed back to april. The more you read, the more you know.

And then may, then june...

The more you see them act, the more you can foresee the end result.

Question of perspective I suppose. Someone just posted the following to this board:

"Good game pushing back the patch to end all patches, 1.2 to right before your next earnings release. I mean really why was this beta version released to begin with? Oh I know to catch the Christmas rush.

Sorry I'm not paying you money for a beta product while you manipulate the next patch release to coincide with earnings, and to be honest it's not going to help anyhow, your bleeding like a stuck pig. What a sorry company, you can release improvements to this game RIGHT NOW, yet you choose to wait in order to manipulate that conference call.

I'm done, any company that operates like this is never going to get my money."

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Would you say that person is being reasonable?

Actually I would. Why? Because it wouldn't be the first time that an MMO company has deliberately manipulated launch dates and big content patches to try to affect subscription levels.

The poster you quoted is essentially highlighting something that can have a profound impact on the long term success of an MMO, and that is "consumer confidence". Or, in this particular case, a lack thereof.

And that can be the start of a slippery slope in terms of success for an MMO.

Edited by Tarka

i like how simple everything is, tell you what go write a simple payroll input output program, that can handle how lets be nice 1000 people using the program at once, but on different machines, different internet speeds. Then to keep this simple lets add in one static graphic just one. This is so simple so i'll look back in 5 minutes because that is the time frame that i think it can be done in and if it is not done i am going to be so mad that all i can do is post on this forum about how much you fail at programming a simple program.

I am a programmer and when people say how simple something is that really have no clue as too how complex these things are it is an insult. I spend hours, days, and weeks going over code looking for errors, testing it retesting it, here you go write a simple java hello world program, then rewrite it without looking it up on google, or youtube, then get command prompt to actually run it for you. O yeah to be fair if you cant do it in under 5 secs then you fail.

^ qft

Patch 1.2 is addressing, in some way, almost every legit complaint that has flooded the forums since launch. I'm sure a lot of the reasons they extended the release date was to add or change things based on this feedback.

If the only thing the Tortanic Doomsayers can find left to criticize is an April release date, then the devs are doing something right.

It addresses parts of the product that the devs want to address. Nothing more. There is still a great deal missing / needs fixing in this game.

What 1.2 covers is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. But I suppose if someone views all other "complaints" as not legitimate, then I can see how someone may think that 1.2 addresses almost all of the "legit" ones.

Edited by Tarka

They previously gave an estimate of March. Have they given absolute assurance that 1.2 will be released in April? I only ask because I missed that announcement. But, knowing Bioware, I'm betting they didn't because then they are giving themselves an opportunity to push it back again if they need to.

So, yes, they have actually pushed the date back.

So?

Btw, this thread is exactly why developers (not just Bioware, but any developer) do not give exact dates for anything. They may even stop informing you people at all if this keeps up. Why tell anyone anything if they are just gonna complain the second it doesn't happen when and how they think it should happen.

do you guys really think bioware isn't in this for money? lol?

so the patch got pushed back. id rather wait a bit longer than get something not finished.

is it the same people that *****ed that SWToR was released too early and buggy that are complaining that this patch isnt being released soon enough? prolly.

it seems like no matter what bioware will do people will cry

It is the class defining characteristic of "cry babies" ;)

Having seen the trailer now and all the things they are adding in 1.2, I'd rather they delay and get debug and play time on PTS then release early.

Cry or don't cry the simple fact is people are upset about the push back. Their really is nothing you can say other then bye on both sides. In reality subs will be cancelled today. Server are getting thinner sadly. Weather you believe it or not, march or april, 1.2 is do or die.

And it so much fits your point, why dont you go searching for good ones?

Oh I know, those, as most of all, get trolled by biodrones and locked or downed to page 2, and from there, lost.

Or, why dont you try quoting the answers in the thread by the biodrones?

I see you trolling threads all the time. How does this make you better than the people you claim to stand against?

It doesn't. Next.

Cry or don't cry the simple fact is people are upset about the push back. Their really is nothing you can say other then bye on both sides. In reality subs will be cancelled today. Server are getting thinner sadly. Weather you believe it or not, march or april, 1.2 is do or die.

It's not. But feel free to keep exaggerating things. I'm certain it will get your point across. :rolleyes:

How is the "weather" by the way?

Well, to me this Guild Summit is nothing more than a marketing / PR drive to try to maintain the presence of the product in the eyes of the media.

Granted, we haven't heard most of what is being presented at the summit yet. But, I really wouldn't be surprised if this summit is nothing more than a "showcase" for the 1.2 patch, with very little else in the way of actual detail given about the future of this product. Aside from vague references and good intentions expressed. Of course, that's just speculation.

Even if it is a showcase, again from experience coordinating these types of things, BW easily dropped a bunch of money to do it. Money that may or may not have been budgeted, money that needed to be pushed through finance and BW senior management. Just in my industry, i couldn't get away with doing something like this for under $100k and operate out of a part of the county that has a very low cost of living. What it would equate to in Texas...probably pretty ugly. My point is the effort involved alone says volumes.

In my opinion, IF Bioware truely wants to get the opinion of every player, they would have been better spending some time and money on surveys. Which EVERYONE can complete, not just get the opinions of SOME guild leaders who may or may not actually represent the feelings of the entire community.

Surveys are mostly worthless, again speaking from experience as a marketer, dealing with Net Promoter Score Surveying, market share surveying, brand strength and valuation, random one off surveys etc etc etc. While it sounds like a good idea you have two huge problems when it comes to surveys:

1) The only people that will take the time to fill it out are the extremes, they either love you or hate you, so you don't get a true snapshot of how the customer "feels" just the extremes. Generally speaking the extremes are not a true representation of your demographic (see video game forums).

2) The resources that go into planning, executing and later data crunching surveys is expensive and it's hard to justify the ROI based on number 1.

Everyone won't complete them, I personally don't because its an archaic way to try and get the voice of the customer. There is far more value in a customer responsiveness event....and i hate to openly admit it, but being responsive to social media.

derptastic with awesomesauce answers in bold

So?

Btw, this thread is exactly why developers (not just Bioware, but any developer) do not give exact dates for anything. They may even stop informing you people at all if this keeps up. Why tell anyone anything if they are just gonna complain the second it doesn't happen when and how they think it should happen.

The devs are not some damsel in distress that needsa valiant knight to defend her honour.

A date, is a date. No matter what you want to call it. So it's natural for some people to be disappointed that a date gets pushed back. And if the devs have no backbone to be able to sympathise with such disappointment and feel the need to reduce giving out dates at all, then really they are in the wrong business.

Because, as has been proven countless times now, the "mushroom method" of communication doesn't work.

So, let's drop the "this is why we can't have nice things" argument. Because the devs would only end up shooting themselves in the foot if the product lost interest because of their reluctance to give out information.

This is very bad news. A lot of people subs end around march 20th, i am sure many wont bother resubbing. I know many people on my server that have unsubbed and waiting for 1.2 to decide to keep playing or leave.

Maybe if they release 1.2 patch notes early then bioware might be able to save some people from leaving but the longer they postpone 1.2 the better it is for Guild Wars 2 and TERA

This is very bad news. A lot of people subs end around march 20th, i am sure many wont bother resubbing. I know many people on my server that have unsubbed and waiting for 1.2 to decide to keep playing or leave.

Maybe if they release 1.2 patch notes early then bioware might be able to save some people from leaving but the longer they postpone 1.2 the better it is for Guild Wars 2 and TERA

And TSW. Not a big fan of it myself, but nevertheless, it launches in June I believe.

If people are so anxious to see what's coming in the patch, why not roll an alt on the PST and play through it rather thn speculating or ragequitting because it's not delivered to your door on the nebulous "sometime in March" date? Then at least you can announce your unsub here with something concrete behind it.

Even if it is a showcase, again from experience coordinating these types of things, BW easily dropped a bunch of money to do it. Money that may or may not have been budgeted, money that needed to be pushed through finance and BW senior management. Just in my industry, i couldn't get away with doing something like this for under $100k and operate out of a part of the county that has a very low cost of living. What it would equate to in Texas...probably pretty ugly. My point is the effort involved alone says volumes.

Yes, it says that BW has a lot of money behind it to pull off a PR event. Good for them. But that doesn't mean all is rosey with their product.

Surveys are mostly worthless, again speaking from experience as a marketer, dealing with Net Promoter Score Surveying, market share surveying, brand strength and valuation, random one off surveys etc etc etc. While it sounds like a good idea you have two huge problems when it comes to surveys:

1) The only people that will take the time to fill it out are the extremes, they either love you or hate you, so you don't get a true snapshot of how the customer "feels" just the extremes. Generally speaking the extremes are not a true representation of your demographic (see video game forums).

2) The resources that go into planning, executing and later data crunching surveys is expensive and it's hard to justify the ROI based on number 1.

Everyone won't complete them, I personally don't because its an archaic way to try and get the voice of the customer. There is far more value in a customer responsiveness event....and i hate to openly admit it, but being responsive to social media.

1. How does having a "Guild Summit" be any different? Those who are willing to go to Austin are, most probably, one or both of the extremes which you mentioned. Joe bloggs who is in the middle of those "extremes" isn't necessarily going to take time out from work to go across the world. So in effect, all this "Guild Summit" does is pamper to the fanboys who are only a portion of the community. It's a publicity stunt.
  2. Are you trying to imply that conducting an online survey, which is advertised on the launcher is somehow not justifiable. But a grand "Guild Summit" is? Seriously?

Edited by Tarka

It addresses parts of the product that the devs want to address. Nothing more. There is still a great deal missing / needs fixing in this game.

What 1.2 covers is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. But I suppose if someone views all other "complaints" as not legitimate, then I can see how someone may think that 1.2 addresses almost all of the "legit" ones.

By legit, I meant the issues that most directly affect gameplay, not immersion. Immersion is great, but I'll take a combat log over Day/Night cycles any day.

If people are so anxious to see what's coming in the patch, why not roll an alt on the PST and play through it rather thn speculating or ragequitting because it's not delivered to your door on the nebulous "sometime in March" date? Then at least you can announce your unsub here with something concrete behind it.

That's assuming that 1.2 will hit the PST before their sub date arrives.

And if it does, chances are people will have enough information to make an accurate assessment without the need to "roll an alt" on the PST.

If you're playing this game as a single player, you are quite simply doing it wrong. Are you soloing heroics? Because that's group content, and there's lots of it. On every planet. And it's repeatable. And there is PVP. And Flashpoints. And Operations. And you can even group to do the 'solo' content if you want.

So by what definition is this a "single player leveling game"?

Because people are bored, they have multiple level 50's with nothing to do on them already. Leveling is too quick. End game is underwhelming for most people and they simply re-roll another alt for the story (which was great & worth the original purchase but it isn't worth a continued subscription).

Population is decreasing which only makes it more difficult to find people to even group with.

PvP is just broken. Great we get to grind for new gear so soon... because valor has already been exploited, no thanks.

I haven't been shown that Bioware deserves any more of my $ to play this game.

I think that, in contrast to other game developers BW is doing a pretty good job with communication, with patching, with announcements, with PR. Believe me I would love to see a patch every 5 days, but the same argument can be made for that aggressive patching as an early release for content. I've lived through that kind of patching in other games (AoC and invisible players anyone?) and it really doesn't turn out well, QA takes a back seat in an effort to say "Hey guys look we are fixing it" and xyz company simply breaks more then they fixed.

I feel the communication is sub par - we don't even know the intent behind certain issues or when/if they intend to even look at some of them. Can you read through these PvP patch notes and tell me they know what they're doing?

1.1.0 Patch - Rise of the Rakghouls:

World PvP

Ilum

The daily and weekly mission objectives in Ilum now require defeating enemy players and/or collecting armaments from the center objective.

Players now gain increased Valor from player kills in Ilum.

Players now gain increased bonus Valor for kills based on the number of objectives controlled by their faction.

Increased bonus Valor is now granted for player kills when defending an objective your faction owns.

A notification is now displayed when a player gains Valor.

Three new respawn points have been added for each faction.

Companions are now restricted from the PvP objective area on Ilum.

Notifications are now displayed when enemy players are close to an objective.

Automated defense turrets have been added to Empire and Republic taxi spawn points.

Particle Cannons around the Empire and Republic bases now activate more reliably.

1.1.0a Patch - 1/19:

PvP

Ilum

Players can no longer enter the opposing faction's safe base area, thus preventing players from continually "camping" the other faction's base.

Turrets inside faction bases were not intended to be destroyed and are now immune to damage.

The population cap for instances of Ilum has been reduced to improve performance.

Implemented optimizations to improve performance on Ilum.

1.1.1 Patch - 1/31:

Warzones

Voidstar

Players are no longer able to climb out of the attacking team spawn area in the hangar before the match starts.

World PvP

Ilum

Additional base turrets now protect the taxi location inside each faction's base.

1.1.2 Patch - 2/7:

Warzones

Huttball

Class abilities that pull a hostile target (like Grapple, Harpoon, and Force Pull) can no longer be used to pull enemies onto the spawn shelf.

Players standing in the spawn area no longer catch the Huttball when it is thrown, and will no longer immediately be killed for having the ball in an illegal position.

World PvP

Ilum

Chests on Ilum now respawn less frequently to reduce potential gains from farming.

Particle Cannons can no longer be permanently disabled.

Implemented safeguards to address a Valor exploit.

1.1.2a Patch - 2/9:

PvP

Ilum

Killing players on Ilum will now consistently grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

1.1.3 Patch - 2/14:

Surge rating has been re-balanced. It now reaches diminishing returns the same way as other damage ratings, and its per point damage contribution has been reduced by approximately 10%.

PvP

General

Players will now properly receive mission credit for warzone wins when the first player to enter a Warzone leaves before the match ends.

Warzones

Voidstar

Updated the bomb door collision to remove a spot players could stand against and not be targetable.

World PvP

Ilum

Players are now notified when they kill a player but do not receive credit due to rate limits.

Seeing PvP in the early months of SWTOR was like watching a slow-motion train wreck for me.

Can people really rationalize that weekly patches don't need to happen anymore and major content patches that are being push back is a good thing?

Actually I would. Why? Because it wouldn't be the first time that an MMO company has deliberately manipulated launch dates and big content patches to try to affect subscription levels.

The poster you quoted is essentially highlighting something that can have a profound impact on the long term success of an MMO, and that is "consumer confidence". Or, in this particular case, a lack thereof.

And that can be the start of a slippery slope in terms of success for an MMO.

Did you really just attempt to argue that that post is in any way deserving of our attention or respect? You've actually been arguing quite compellingly up to this point but you've tipped your hand now. Subtle troll is obvious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.