The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP Tank + DPS build (Spider Monkey)

MasterXlos

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hZrcrrobfkbsZf0b.1

The "Spider Monkey" build is designed to give you best of both world, Tank + DPS, by just switching stances and some gear. IGC will give you survivability and CBC gives you extra damage. I use PVE eliminator set which gives you free rail shots for heat conservation. Plus the bouns stats in armoring helps with damage and threat, slightly :)

Rotation DPS

IMMO>FB\ED >RB>RS>RP>FB X 3>RP(If free) or RPS>RPS

Rotation Tank

IMMO>FB\ED>RB>RS>RP>FB>FT>RPS X 2

(I use aoe dart to start and pick up adds with grapple and single dart)

Both rotation can be used for either stance and are calculated to keep you at zero heat

(Not including the Gyroscopic Alignment Jets ticks which is instant minium of -13 heat) and keep pressure constant forcing people to stun you in PVP or keeps threat in PVE. I know sticking to a rotation can be difficult given the situation, but thats what vent heat is for, plus you can hit a few RPS to get you back in the rotations. Remember PVP is team based so keep in mind this is not a rambo build but instead designed to maximize trolling on healers and bring max utility to the table while dishing constant damage (Not saying I saying that I can't hold my own in a 1v1 senario). As per PVE like i said im still fiddling with the numbers but am able to tank mostly anything as far as my current gear allows.

Any criticism or advice is welcome cause I looking to make AP fun since its the neglected step-child of the PT world. Thanks guys in advance for the help

Edited by MasterXlos

Like many I seek the grail of Offtank sturdiness in PVE hard modes and operations + solid PVE/PVP DPS

Spider Monkey Defensiveness:

5% damage reduction (ion tank stance)

20% less damage taken while stunned (Stabilized Armor)

2% damage reduction (Power armor)

4 second interrupt (traited Quell)

Being stunned vents heat

Very slightly more electro darts for cc

Iron Fist (25/14/2) defensiveness:

2% damage reduction from Ion Charge

Jet charge to jump to targets (get to boss faster)

Grapple roots targets

Shield chance +2%, Being attacked with shield 50% chance to vent heat (min each 6 secs)

Spider Monkey DPS bonuses

Immolate skill 623 fireball gained on 15 sec cooldown

+30% crit chance of Rocket Punch, Flame Burst, Immolate

25% chance of auto-crit for next Rocket Punch or Retractable Blade (Prototype weapon systems)

5* stackable 10% damage increases on Flame Thrower

Flame Burst has 30% chance, Immolate 100% chance to make next Rocket Punch free (for 15 sec) (Flame Barrage)

15% more damage dealt by Retractable Blade (Serrated Blades)

6% damage increase on Flame Burst and retractable blades (Hot Iron)

Railshot ignores 60% target's armor ( Puncture)

No ability to slow enemy.

Iron Fist DPS bonuses:

Extra 6% Rail Shot bonus from Rail Loaders

Extra 4% for 15 sec Flame Burst and Flame Sweep (Combust)

3% more aim from steely Resolve

Rocket Punch always causes 125 energy damage over 6 sec (Ion Overload)

25% bonus damage from Rocket Punch

+30% crit chance increase on Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep (Flame Surge)

Shielding an attack finishes cooldown on rocket punch (Flame Surge) (min each 4.5 secs)

Railshot ignores 60% target's armor (Puncture)

Slow enemies 50% 2 secs for normal ion gas attack (Neural Overload)

Possible wasted points in Spider Monkey:

2 from Gyroscopic Alignment Jets (you are not doing damage and are cooling down while stunned anyway)

2 from Prototype Electro Surge doesnt' really give you more damage nor tanking and its not on your rotation. Its not very noticable diffrence in cc ability

Where to respend up to 4 points?

I would spend on Rail loaders or cardio package or Prototype Cylinders or Combust

I am actually looking for a build I can take to PVE Nightmare/Hard modes and off-tank effectively, dps effectively (because lots of enrage checks), while still being able to contribute in PvP reasonably.

That means it seems like I have 3 choices. Iron fist 25/14/2 a run and gun 1/22/18, a firebug 3/7/31 or this.

I wonder whether DPS ability while Ion Cell is active will be sufficient to prevent Enrage in Hard Mode Ops.

I feel like AP will do a more damage when in gas cylinder when you add up the fire bonuses.

Hard to compare heat usage.

Both builds can benefit similarly with crit bonus from PVP Combat Tech set.

Spider Monkey gets some auto crits on Rocket Punch but Iron Fist gets cooldown resets for more RPs

Edited by KangasCollective

Why are people trying to coin names to already popular builds? Forum Goers really think that they will own a build because they chose some silly name?

ALL of these builds have been used HUNDREDS of times by good players in game. Coming up with some random and totally disconnected name does not give you credit.

You want to make a name for yourself? Go out there and prove you are a good player and deserve our praise. You will get nothing by googling some random info and making slight adjustments to current builds. :confused:

Why use CGC if you get non of the heat venting abilities associated with it?

It's like saying "I do more damage, for about 5 seconds"

I don't need them that's why, I never overheat also as far as damage CGC burning 1st tick goes off when applies so it pairs nicely with FB (extra fire damage) so its more than just "5 seconds" of damage

Like many I seek the grail of Offtank sturdiness in PVE hard modes and operations + solid PVE/PVP DPS

Spider Monkey Defensiveness:

20% less damage taken while stunned (Stabilized Armor)

Being stunned vents heat

Very slightly more electro darts for cc

Iron Fist (25/14/2) defensiveness:

2% damage reduction from Ion Charge

Jet charge to jump to targets (get to boss faster)

Grapple roots targets

Shield chance +2%, Being attacked with shield 50% chance to vent heat (min each 6 secs)

Spider Monkey DPS bonuses

Immolate skill 623 fireball gained on 15 sec cooldown

+30% crit chance of Rocket Punch, Flame Burst, Immolate

25% chance of auto-crit for next Rocket Punch or Retractable Blade (Prototype weapon systems)

5* stackable 10% damage increases on Flame Thrower

Flame Burst has 30% chance, Immolate 100% chance to make next Rocket Punch free (for 15 sec) (Flame Barrage)

15% more damage dealt by Retractable Blade (Serrated Blades)

Railshot ignores 60% target's armor ( Puncture)

No ability to slow enemy.

Iron Fist DPS bonuses:

Extra 6% Rail Shot bonus from Rail Loaders

Extra 4% for 15 sec Flame Burst and Flame Sweep (Combust)

3% more aim from steely Resolve

Rocket Punch always causes 125 energy damage over 6 sec (Ion Overload)

25% bonus damage from Rocket Punch

+30% crit chance increase on Rocket Punch and Flame Sweep (Flame Surge)

Shielding an attack finishes cooldown on rocket punch (Flame Surge) (min each 4.5 secs)

Railshot ignores 60% target's armor (Puncture)

Slow enemies 50% 2 secs for normal ion gas attack (Neural Overload)

Possible wasted points in Spider Monkey:

2 from Gyroscopic Alignment Jets (you are not doing damage and are cooling down while stunned anyway)

2 from Prototype Electro Surge doesnt' really give you more damage nor tanking and its not on your rotation. Its not very noticable diffrence in cc ability

Where to respend up to 4 points?

I would spend on Rail loaders or cardio package or Prototype Cylinders or Combust

I am actually looking for a build I can take to PVE Nightmare/Hard modes and off-tank effectively, dps effectively (because lots of enrage checks), while still being able to contribute in PvP reasonably.

That means it seems like I have 3 choices. Iron fist 25/14/2 a run and gun 1/22/18, a firebug 3/7/31 or this.

I wonder whether DPS ability while Ion Cell is active will be sufficient to prevent Enrage in Hard Mode Ops.

I feel like AP will do a more damage when in gas cylinder when you add up the fire bonuses.

Hard to compare heat usage.

Both builds can benefit similarly with crit bonus from PVP Combat Tech set.

Spider Monkey gets some auto crits on Rocket Punch but Iron Fist gets cooldown resets for more RPs

Took you advice and switched a few things around

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZrcrrobfkbsZc.1

Why are people trying to coin names to already popular builds? Forum Goers really think that they will own a build because they chose some silly name?

ALL of these builds have been used HUNDREDS of times by good players in game. Coming up with some random and totally disconnected name does not give you credit.

You want to make a name for yourself? Go out there and prove you are a good player and deserve our praise. You will get nothing by googling some random info and making slight adjustments to current builds. :confused:

On a scale of 1 to Mad, what are you?

On a more serious note...

People like to coin names for builds they "create" for a kind of fun factor.

Like Build Orders in Starcraft 2 (Strategy Game) one is named Ice Fisher, coined by the player "Spanishiwa"

It has nothing to do with anything in the game, it's just a little creative part of the namer that sticks with the build.

If you made a build you wholly thought was yours, would you just name it "the Raific Tank Build?" Or would you call it something a little more creative?

I did not look anything up this is something i came up with and with limited flexibly with talents some things may look alike but I'm also telling you how i use it and had success with it.

I lets you know what armor to use and what rotations to try in order to get a feel of how i play. I am not trying to get famous off a swtor spec just spreading it around so people can try different things.

P.S. Spider-Monkey is named after the style of BH it promotes I literally run circles and flame people to death its very hard to keep my bh off on top of it i am able to lock-down healers and have a high survival rate.

If you are looking for a build to Off-tank effectively just use the Carolina Parakeet build. It is just mathematically the best OT build.

This. Does decent damage with CGC, and has enough tanking abilities for hardmode ops.

If you are looking for a build to Off-tank effectively just use the Carolina Parakeet build. It is just mathematically the best OT build.

Yup.

PT's are few an far between on my server, so I almost always take notice of one. I've seen many up and comers using an AP spec and every single one of them has given it up eventually. It's just not a viable tree for much of anything. For tanking, Shieldtech is better. For DPS, Pyro is better. For hybrid, Carolina Parakeet is better.