The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When Does it Get Better? (PvP)

seabromd

Hey all,

I know a lot of you out there have lots of experience with the PT, so I figured I throw this out there...

When does playing in PvP in general get better? (I'm only level 24)

I'm leveling as ST, with intent to either be the CP, or the Ironfist, but I keep being slaughtered. My armor and shielding don't do anything, basically... and my mitigation at this point overall seems useless.

I don't have the ability to heal myself. I have only one stun on a fairly long cooldown. And our damage is relatively low (again, all at this level).

Is there a way to improve the experience? Do a few key things make it all better?

On my Sorcerer (played hybrid heals/damage) it was always a blast. I healed fairly well, and could damage reasonably well in a way that always left me alive. I could run away, shield, stun, heal, etc etc etc.

I want to guard/tank for my team... but it doesn't feel like that's possible. Do Assassin or Jugg do it better?

Unless you have a healer, goign as a ST will make you seem squishier than anything, seeing as you will take half the damage of the target you guard, and tanks really don't tank much in pvp. Defensive stats are almost useless.

If you want better pvp, go pyro.

Edited by Humankeg

If you want to burn faces off then Pyro is going to be your only option. My ST is level 46 now. Around the mid 30s it seemed like my damage really picked up. I still do not do great in solo fights. My guy is really good at staying alive long enough for someone else to join in though. Just work on picking your battles. I try to jump on someone that is attacking any teammate. The two taunts I have right now do a great job of reducing their damage. I have started to enjoy this more than shielding. Getting the 10k shield award is pretty simple if you can land your AoE taunt on a large group.

Short version: It is never easy as a ST unless you enjoy hitting people that are not looking. Which I love now.

So does it always stay frustrating? Or in the really high levels does it become a viable and fun?

I can level as PT if needed, but I want to get myself acquainted with the feel of it, and I really love the control (being able to grapple, "leap", and such).

Bioware had directly stated they were making tanking viable in PvP... but I feel significantly less useful right now than I did in WoW... (yikes! Sorry for bringing it up!)

Thanks for the input

Most classes are really better as a DPS/Tank Hybrid while leveling, then respec around 40 when you can get the top skills, Ive had this experience in multiple ACs.

So, I suggest going Pyrotech early on, then switching the ST later, others may disagree but its a lot less frustating and you can still tank gear if you like.

And does anyone have any input on which works better, the PT or the Assassin? The Assassin has stealth, "sprint", "vanish", a reasonably dependable heal through their force lightning... in theory the same mitigation, and more stuns.

The PT has the "leap" ability... but otherwise doesn't seem to have as many tools. Or am I missing something?

Edit: The Assassin ALSO gets Overload and Whirlwind (not that the later is easy to use in PvP... but I have pulled it off).

Can anyone share why they'd play the PT over the Assassin?

Edited by seabromd

Hey all,

I know a lot of you out there have lots of experience with the PT, so I figured I throw this out there...

When does playing in PvP in general get better? (I'm only level 24)

I'm leveling as ST, with intent to either be the CP, or the Ironfist, but I keep being slaughtered. My armor and shielding don't do anything, basically... and my mitigation at this point overall seems useless.

I don't have the ability to heal myself. I have only one stun on a fairly long cooldown. And our damage is relatively low (again, all at this level).

Is there a way to improve the experience? Do a few key things make it all better?

On my Sorcerer (played hybrid heals/damage) it was always a blast. I healed fairly well, and could damage reasonably well in a way that always left me alive. I could run away, shield, stun, heal, etc etc etc.

I want to guard/tank for my team... but it doesn't feel like that's possible. Do Assassin or Jugg do it better?

I honestly had a blast from the moment I stepped into my first match at level 10 (Huttball, scored once, 2 assists!) to dinging 50 in Voidstar (my team won the match and dedicated it to me : D). My PT has always felt like a good contribution to the team (I do the boring tasks, like defending the boring turret/door solo, making sure to be ready w/ Grapple whenever an enemy ball carrier is nearing the end of the bridges, grappling any potential receivers who may have run ahead of the ball carrier, etc).

At 50, it was painful for the first week, and after that it was back to normal again.

I leveled as AP/Pyro hybrid spec (I went up the Pyro tree for the Rail shot reset talent first, and it helped immensely to have that and the auto-snare lower in the tree).

I shelved my Sorc after the 3rd match on my PT because I was in love.

Edited by Varicite

It does seem like switching to a DPS build for leveling up that first stretch will be my best bet.

But overall, if you're going to play a close range/melee with a tank mindset... is there any reason the Assassin isn't a better choice for PvP?

It does seem like switching to a DPS build for leveling up that first stretch will be my best bet.

But overall, if you're going to play a close range/melee with a tank mindset... is there any reason the Assassin isn't a better choice for PvP?

The Assassin is a solid choice for PvP, they certainly have a few more tricks than we do.

The PT will put out more damage, though. It ain't fancy, but it sure gets the job done.

Edited by Varicite

It gets better once you hit 30 from my experience, always wear DPS gear even if you're a tank spec.. Ion provides good passive damage reduction able to be boosted through talents. Honestly though, shield just needs that Jet Charge to work.

By the time you hit level 41, you can run a really basic Iron Fist variant and then you'll really get the ball rolling.

Assassins while leveling as Darkness tend to be much squishier than Powertechs until they get their defensive talents/skills at 36-38. I find it easier to do concentrated damage on the powertech compared to the assassin mostly because of the varied ranges of their attacks.

Assassins make really good tanks end game PvP and offer the most amount of offensive utility of the tank classes. They're also the only one that is able to produce some form of usable self heal. Their defensive cool downs require a bit more finesse to utilize properly but will be greatly rewarded with smart use.

Powertechs are also absolute beasts and even more so when backed by a healer. Their tank stance does not debuff damage like the Juggernaut's and Jet Charge + Grapple is an amazing combo. Remember to pop your defensive cool downs more proactively, they aren't reactionary O-***** like a Juggernaut's. Defensive cool down management is much more crucial for this class and once you get the hang of it, you'll find powertechs to be extremely durable.

One thing and this is opinion that I think the Powertech has over the Assassin is its DPS spec the Pyrotech. Pyrotech PTs are OP and extremely easy to play, it has extremely high burst potential with all the benefits of being a PT. They are much squisher than their tank counterparts but as far as DPS goes, they aren't glass cannons.

Edited by Rykke

So the Assassins don't level quite as easily eh? And don't put out as much damage?

I really appreciate the thorough replies.

I'll make this clear though: whichever I end up playing, I want to use the tank specific build in the end (doesn't have to be while leveling).

So for the PT, I'd be looking at whether or not Ironfist is fun to play. Does our Shield (long cd...) and Kolto Overload (long CD again) and our passive 9% damage reduction (+4% from the debuff) allow us to live long enough to contribute though?

I look at that list and then note that the Assassin can sprint away, disappear (also a long cd... but you disappear... not just 15% of your health healed), push you away, stun more frequently (though you can argue that one)... and the BIG one, the Assassin can heal itself every 6 seconds (shock, wither, wait 3 sec, shock ---> force lightning = 9% total health back).

I love the idea of the BH.... but I don't want to be the one constantly rezzing and running back.

I know the feeling. I'm a BH Powertech, and it can get frustrating in pvp as a tank. Doing the hybrid tank spec myself. It depends on what play style you're going for. Going full pyro will definitely put you in the same class as a mdps and you can rack up some big numbers. If you go hybrid, you have to pick your battles carefully. For me going 1v1 against a mdps class is like committing suicide, but that could partly be my skill and not the class, so I pretty much go the support role. Assisting other players in combat whether through attacks, or guard, or protection through taunts. You can still get pretty decent numbers on the scoreboard going that route. Guarding and taunting will also increase your medal count. As you level, you will get some extra skills that will help if you need to break contact. Jet charge in the Shieldtech tree is a great skill. You can use it to attack or use it to escape. Carbonize is also another skill that comes much later that you can use to stun people around you.

So does it get better. Yes, as you level and gain more experience, it does get better. I'm enjoying pvp a lot more than before.

I often am one of the higher dps-ers with my supercommando/ tech armor and being shieldtech. It is all about knowing the rotations, but every other class that knows its rotations well should be able to beat you 1v1. Most enemies even BM know nothing about their classes and you win fights. In terms of dps things do not divert heavily, between the trees, the biggest difference lies in the heat management systems and the way the rotations work and here comes the 'big' difference from. Pyros are great 1v1 with their damage bypassing almost all mitigation and arsenal combine great in teams with armor debuffs, where they can outshine pyros.

The biggest set-back as a shieldtech is that our heat management and dps is severely suffering from not having our shields proc at all in pvp (or barely). This is the big fail on biowares side and because you are so severely gimped you will become better at PvP. Those at a natural set-back need to develop their rotations/ strategies etc. to win.

Edited by Stonewall_Jack

I honestly had a blast from the moment I stepped into my first match at level 10 (Huttball, scored once, 2 assists!) to dinging 50 in Voidstar (my team won the match and dedicated it to me : D). My PT has always felt like a good contribution to the team (I do the boring tasks, like defending the boring turret/door solo, making sure to be ready w/ Grapple whenever an enemy ball carrier is nearing the end of the bridges, grappling any potential receivers who may have run ahead of the ball carrier, etc).

At 50, it was painful for the first week, and after that it was back to normal again.

I leveled as AP/Pyro hybrid spec (I went up the Pyro tree for the Rail shot reset talent first, and it helped immensely to have that and the auto-snare lower in the tree).

I shelved my Sorc after the 3rd match on my PT because I was in love.

Nice to see someone else with similiar playstyle that i use ;)

Tho i went to ST/AP for on-demand 2sec slow + DoT and -4% single/AoE DMG debuff for maximum support.

I started pvp from level 14 (17 now) and started topping the charts immediately. Being able to move and shoot from range makes things so much easier. If it gets better than thats good to know :p

I played a jugg for a while and after that my PT seems so much more powerful. Sure I go down fast but the mobile firepower sure makes up for it.

Edited by mahnmut

Play your character exclusively. Once you sleep/eat/breath PT, you will be a wrecking machine.

A hybrid ST/Pyro gives you the tools to do it all and max pvp Medals.

Maximize your abilities of the specific spec you chose to complete objectives, taunts, grapple, etc...

When you know it all, and you just want to melt faces, go all pyro.

In my opinion, I feel a good/geared PT rules in PvP.

I think you might be playing the class wrong, then. My PT's a Shield Tech as well, only level 22 and I'm taking in about 6-8 medals a WZ.

If you're charging in head first and not negating enemy damage whilst supplying decent DPS, you're doing it wrong. End up with 100-150k DPS, 15-20k Protection at level 22, if my team isn't absolutely being slaughtered.

It's good, you just need to find the right playstyle.

10-50 as a shieldtech, pvped every day, rarely fell out of top 3 medals and/or dmg for the match. Tanks get high dmg in wzs when they are very hard to kill. Because I never run back from the spawn I just steadily dmg/support/restrain/trap/slow/cc/grapple/charge/immob

STs at low level dont feel much like ironman but as your mitigation stats build the story changes. even in pve armor at lvl 50 I was able to go three on one against squishy dps at times. now that I am a geared 50 its much better. I am hardly ever worth the time it takes someone to kill me, unless there's 5+ enemy on me at once.

Don't know if it's been said, but are you looking for top dps or medals?

The two are not often mutually seen ... meaning alot of times, top medals go to Protection, proper use of your taunt, Defensive turret guarding, as well as kills and damage.

If you want medals, wear dps gear (as someone else suggested, force and tech attacks bounce off your shield talents, they are wasted), and Guard/Taunt well. Also, beware of the PvE talents that aren't helping you in PvP at all vs. those that do. Extra Armor? Drop it. Shield Vents? Not likely to be a factor. Oil slick? Great close-quarters debuff for PvP. Think like a PvP'er spec-wise, and not like a PvE tank.

Remember this means your efficacy as a PvE tank will diminish slightly but at your level it shouldn't really be noticed.

Regarding Taunt, definitely throw it at people wailing on your guard target, and anyone else. Taunt should always be on cooldown. It helps alot with medals when thrown well. Remember don't waste on someone that is targeting you though!

Finally, keep that gear up. Endurance and Aim are your two biggest stats to improve damage and survival in the PvP arena at your level, so make sure all your mods are as high level as possible.

It's a phenomenally stable PvP class, the Powertech. it will get much, much better for you trust us!

Edited by Poe_

I appreciate the continued input. I do think I'll end up staying with my PT. I love the look and feel. I think I was just surprised at how "squishy" I am, and was tempted by the Sin's escape tools.

To clarify, I've played quite well, even as a ST. I didn't often get super high DPS as ST, but I almost always end up with 8+ medals.

My issue was always that I felt I was easily crushed by the enemy players.

I'm running Pyro for now, till I get to around 30+, so that seems to be helping.

Thanks again for the insight.

Anyone feel like highlighting some of the reasons we rock vs other tanks? What kind of things make us stand up.

Once you level as a tank hybrid you have a lot of utility and average DPS. I did full ST till 50 (to be my small guilds tank). I now run Iron Fist and have better DPS and still 49.xx% damage reduction. I break 200k damage with this spec but a pyro spec can do 2x that much. But IF is way harder to kill.

Basically tank specs are for disrupting the other team. DPS specs are for straight 1v1 killing power. Personally I love the IF play style and wouldn't give up rocket charge for nothing. Carbonize is another favorite of mine.

Love to hear more from the experienced players! Impart your wisdom!

Here are some words of wisdom from a PT Battlemaster:

In PvE, Shieldtech is a viable tanking spec. The BH class has high resistance to some attack types (weapon damage/kinetic) and low resistance to others (elemental/force/internal). High amounts of defense in PvP is pointless because the attack damage does not get mitigated by armor.

This is the exact reason why the Carolina Parakeet build is so popular. You get a decent amount of defense for PvP, and still enough DPS to actually make a difference.

PvP is all about burst damage. If you want to be a game changer in PvP, go Pyro spec. You will tear people apart, it's just that simple...but your defense will be very low. Pyro is great if you can manage to stay under the radar and dish out damage while you try to avoid getting ganged up on, because it won't be pretty if you get focused down.

I respec all the time. 3 times a week at least. I bounce back and forth between CP and Pyro, depending on my mood. Both are viable specs for PvP and each spec has its advantages in certain warzones. CP excels in Huttball, where Jet Charge is most useful. Pyro is awesome for Voidstar, where your AoE will make quick work of the other team. Civil War is a toss up.

I really don't know if people even tried late game tanking

My advice is taking the iron fist build, it's the best build if you want to feel like a walking tank.

From level 28 you can finish 7-8 as long as you use guard and taunting to get the first 3 medals and from there it's easy job to end top score.