Datacron Sillyness

Wanagi

Really the most frustrating thing i've ever seen in any game ever in 15+ years of MMO gaming. What was the guy who hid these datacrons smoking?????

Two hours of trying to make a stupid jump that has nothing to do with skill just pure random luck weither you land on the damn beam or not???

There is a difference between putting something in the game that is a challenge and something that is just a cruel tease.

Edited by Wanagi

they are fun and new and different... you may not like it that doesn't make it bad

I personally hate huttball but that deosn't make it bad as absolute or I feel the need to call it the worst ever.

People should learn that they are not the center of the universe.

Two hours of trying to make a stupid jump that has nothing to do with skill just pure random luck weither you land on the damn beam or not???

When I did them on my alt it was much easier than when I did them on my first char. It definitely gets easier with practice. Jumping is not perfect, but it's definitely not random luck either.

Really the most frustrating thing i've ever seen in any game ever in 15+ years of MMO gaming. What was the guy who hid these datacrons smoking?????

There is a difference between putting something in the game that is a challenge and something that is just a cruel tease.

Which one are stuck on? Maybe we can help.

Biggest hint I can give: Turn off sprint while jumping.

OP, getting them is optional. Not mandatory.

By the sounds of it, you're struggling with those shelves and beams on Nar Shadda. They can be a little frustrating yes. Just wait till you get to Corellia, and the grappling hook drops you to your death lol.

You know whats silly? The Jawa Ballon.

You know whats even more silly?

Spending about 20min riding on it to the datacron and then suddenly, THE BALLOON DISAPPEARS and drops me leaving me fall damage. Most stupid frustrating thing ever.

Thankfully, that didn't happen to me, but I've heard it happen to others tho. So I can empathise with you on that score.

That balloon ride definately needs speeding up. It should be half as long or less.

Edited by Tarka

Though they can be frustrating at times I actually enjoyed the datacron hunt. I found many of them to be very clever. I applaud all those who actively sought them on their own without assistance and then freely shared their findings with others. I hope when they add more planets they keep adding more datacrons.

OP, getting them is optional. Not mandatory.

By the sounds of it, you're struggling with those shelves and beams on Nar Shadda. They can be a little frustrating yes. Just wait till you get to Corellia, and the grappling hook drops you to your death lol.

It's mandatory if you're serious about your characters.

Their addition was an annoyance. It's just another stab to my heart in this death-by-papercuts game -- an element that isn't gamebreaking, but isn't any fun, either.

You just need to learn when to jump; you can't jump off the edge of objects because of how the game verifies your location with the server (it's the same effect you see when you try to mount and move too quickly).

5x easier once you pick it up, though I felt it was mostly easy enough to begin with (Empire, at least).

Biggest hint I can give: Turn off sprint while jumping.
It can help, but it's not often necessary. I've found several jumps that I thought were made easier by turning off sprint were actually much easier once you start angling jumps better while sprint is on. Edited by Ansultares

Spending about 20min riding on it to the datacron and then suddenly, THE BALLOON DISAPPEARS and drops me leaving me fall damage. Most stupid frustrating thing ever.

It was a fun trip, but this just happened to me as well. The balloon didn't disappear, but it seemed to teleport me forward along its path and drop me from a vast height.

Infuriating.

Thirty minutes waiting for it. Thirty minutes in the air. With a resigned sigh I shall try again later.

I've noticed that in general the Empire ones are fare easier to get than the Republic ones. Granted, I'm only finishing act I right now(slow player, I know), but so far most of the Empire ones simple require you to find a "hidden" path or drop correctly to it which are far easier than all the jumping required by most of the Republic ones. It kinda made Nar Shaddaa a bit of a nasty shock with that beam jumping one. If only there were a way to not have to restart the entire jumping puzzles after one missed jump at the very end... :rolleyes:

Were you the guy on shadowhand I feel off the balloon with? lol... it was literally the 20 min mark when it happened. SOOO frustrating considering it was my 2nd go on it, and somehow missed the jump the first time.

Regardless how all you may feel, I felt as frustrated as the OP sometimes on some of them. Some of them are quite annoying. The mechanics aren't exactly 100% meant for platforming - sometimes your char clips off invis objects no matter what you do. SOME luck is indeed involved. I was body type 3, so maybe it's just harder for the bigger types. *shrugs*

My only advice is take a break and come back at a later time. Get a bunch of other easier ones and come back to it with more confidence.

Yes, which ones were you going after?

Jumping isn't random in this game (aside from the random lag monster) but it DOES behave different from most other games out there. If you haven't figured that out yet, then yeah, I can see the datacrons being incredibly frustrating to get.

Tell us what you are having trouble with but in general: Turn off sprint, turn ON walk (or more generally, do NOT JUST RUSH THROUGH), and hit jump THEN forward when you want to make a precise jump (the game's jump mechanics require you to hit jump FIRST, unlike most other games. Practice on the ground and you'll get it).

I've watched so many people turn off sprint but then just run across a beam and fall off. If you are rushing, you will fail. Turn on walk if you need to and take your time and you'll get it much quicker in the end.

I have so far got all datacrons empire side up to quesh, none of them were all that hard. I enjoy getting them and think it is just crazy that other gamers can't. Jumping in this game to me fels just like every other MMO I have played except Aion(mainly cause I rarely jumped but glided everywhere) There is 1 jump on Taris your gonna love if your having issues with Nar Shaddaa lol Good luck:D