Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Amazon: 224 days in the top 100

XOrionX

I'm sure you would have doubted it the day BW collected that bit of data too. :rolleyes:

If I had to guess, I'd say this game's population is in drastic DECLINE rather than the other way around.

The 20 people on the Fleet seem to support my theory. But I guess you'll see first hand in about another month eh ?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm sure you would believe EA if they told you the Earth was flat. Here's a little tip, just because someone tells you something doesn't necessarily mean it's always the truth. Shocking I know.

Actually, in EA and BW's case it would have been a crime if they wouldn't have told the truth. Manipulation of stock price and so on. So, conspiracy theory aside, the game has had 1.7 million subscribers about a month ago. The current situation is unknown.

If I had to guess, I'd say this game's population is in drastic DECLINE rather than the other way around.

The 20 people on the Fleet seem to support my theory. But I guess you'll see first hand in about another month eh ?

The 30 people on fleet don't indicate anything other than players aren't on fleet. You're making an assumption based on information that could have several reasons. One likely scenario is that less people are in the fleet because they've found regular players to play with and don't need to go to the fleet to find groups anymore.

Even if TOR has seen a "drastic decline" like you're saying, a /who check in fleet wouldn't give you any indication one way or the other. I mean, if they had 50,000 people on your server and the population dropped in half, that would still leave 25,000 people on your server.

The numbers are just too big for anecdotal evidence to suggest anything about sub decline. I mean, about how many people are you suggesting your server has now? Just a rough estimate...

Edited by Vecke

The 30 people on fleet don't indicate anything other than players aren't on fleet. You're making an assumption based on information that could have several reasons. One likely scenario is that less people are in the fleet because they've found regular players to play with and don't need to go to the fleet to find groups anymore.

Even if TOR has seen a "drastic decline" like you're saying, a /who check in fleet wouldn't give you any indication one way or the other. I mean, if they had 50,000 people on your server and the population dropped in half, that would still leave 25,000 people on your server.

The numbers are just too big for anecdotal evidence to suggest anything about sub decline. I mean, about how many people are you suggesting your server has now? Just a rough estimate...

I've been taking server figures of the server I am located on at prime times comparing it to other servers. Its easy to obtain this data by doing the following:

/who 1-10

/who 11-20

/who 21-30

ect ect, of course if it provides more than 100 people, you shorten down the level range. At level 50 you do each class individually.

We've had around 300-450 people on at prime times (Server wide including republic) where others have 2500+ including both republic and empire. Granted these are not the best figures to go by in terms of growth, but the numbers of my server have been getting lower and lower each day.

It can't prove theres a sub decline, or necesserily a decline in population on my server. But it goes to show the huge difference in some servers compared to others, and ours is struggling.

Actually, in EA and BW's case it would have been a crime if they wouldn't have told the truth. Manipulation of stock price and so on. So, conspiracy theory aside, the game has had 1.7 million subscribers about a month ago. The current situation is unknown.

And it wouldn't be the first time a company has lied or not told the truth. Not to forget the fact that people had alot of problems unsubscribing and many were billed before getting the problem resolved.

Edited by Mysquine

If more people are playing where are they? At least here on the European servers there has been no noticeable increase. My server is one of the so called higher populated ones, but even we never have more than 100 on either fleet, and that's on a good night.

Well that's a flat out lie if I have ever seen one. :rolleyes:

If this game is selling so well, where are all the people on the servers? My server population is in decline.

They're trying to resell their games. Amazon has 14 used-like new listings available. One even says "Opened but never used. *Product Key Is Not Included* ".

BTW, the current number 1 is PAYDAY The Heist [Download]. I'm thinking the Amazon top 100 list is pretty meaningless.

Well that's a flat out lie if I have ever seen one. :rolleyes:

Instead of posting a one line insult perhaps you would care to elaborate. i am merely posting my observations, there are rarely any servers above standard on EU. And I can assure you there are NEVER more than 100 people on the fleet on my server.

Just because you don't agree with someone does not make them a liar.

Edited by Cordelia

I've been taking server figures of the server I am located on at prime times comparing it to other servers. Its easy to obtain this data by doing the following:

/who 1-10

/who 11-20

/who 21-30

ect ect, of course if it provides more than 100 people, you shorten down the level range. At level 50 you do each class individually.

We've had around 300-450 people on at prime times (Server wide including republic) where others have 2500+ including both republic and empire. Granted these are not the best figures to go by in terms of growth, but the numbers of my server have been getting lower and lower each day.

It can't prove theres a sub decline, or necesserily a decline in population on my server. But it goes to show the huge difference in some servers compared to others, and ours is struggling.

And it wouldn't be the first time a company has lied or not told the truth. Not to forget the fact that people had alot of problems unsubscribing and many were billed before getting the problem resolved.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that some servers are more crowded than others. That's kind of outside the scope of what I was saying.

Obviously (I think) there are massive population differences on servers. The entire second week of Launch, Bioware was recommending people roll on light servers (I was one of the people that did this). They did it to handle the huge amount of players coming in and filling servers.

I think this was a mistake. When they kept adding servers, I thought then that they should have started connecting them to full servers. For example, if they'd have just created a server called Darth Bandon 2, it would have made it clear that their eventual intent would be to merge those servers when they stabilized the server loads. Now, they're stuck in a bit of a mess because of the PR backlash a server merge could cause.

Just imagine the "it's dying" people if they merged servers, even if they actually didn't have a sub drop.

But I agree with you, servers vary wildly on population.

That doesn't seem right to me, updated hourly?

That means that just this last hour more people have bought SWTOR then any other game out there. So where are all these new players? I haven't met any. Korriban is full of rerolls and the like, go take a survey.

New servers online today, does the amazon sales reflect all of amazon world wide or just sales in the USA ? I did not peek over at the link.. I did peek at the new Asia/pacific server, they were heavy,standard and light.. just a thought.. Where some of those new players might be.

:cool:

Instead of posting a one line insult perhaps you would care to elaborate. i am merely posting my observations, there are rarely any servers above standard on EU. And I can assure you there are NEVER more than 100 people on the fleet on my server.

Just because you don't agree with someone does not make them a liar.

What is your server?

BTW, my server, Sith Wyrm is rarely above standard and there were 185 people on Fleet last night.

yeah but notice the 3.5 star rating.

that says something especially with the amount of copies that amazon sold.

There is a much higher chance for someone to write a negative review, then a positive. That's why you see so much negativity on the forums. Dissatisfied customers will almost always state their opinion.

The better question is, what games have really come out that would be a better seller than a Star Wars MMO produced by BioWare? I'd say nothing really. It's nice to see the game sold very well, but it doesn't really mean that much.

this.

The better question is, what games have really come out that would be a better seller than a Star Wars MMO produced by BioWare? I'd say nothing really. It's nice to see the game sold very well, but it doesn't really mean that much.

well, you'd think Skyrim would still be selling well...at least in the top 10. Nope. SWTOR is selling better than Skyrim right now.

I see you think you are some ********. If you think 1.7 million are still playing you are clearly delusional. On European servers you are lucky if any go above Standard thesedays. Yes, some are still Heavy, but it really is a only a few. But you keep living in your fantasy world, ignorance is bliss as they say.

Thats funny I play on a european server I log in around 16 - 17:00 you know when most finish school or work and the are mostly on high,

Frostclaw is busy on both ally and emp side

Basically its Amazon employee opinion based on selling trends. You will notice it went gold special a few days ago for 40 dollars, now its down to $28.53 (directly from Amazon, look in the list of sellers).

Did you read the description you quoted? The only subjective input is determining which category the product should be listed in. If SWTOR was listed under "Toasters" you might have a point, unless you are arguing that it doesn't belong in "PC Games." Within each category, the ranking is based on actual sales, updated hourly.

The Gold Deal was a 24-hour special.

I just think it is funny.

It's all a matter of perspective and anything anybody posts about the success or failure of the MMO and everyone comes out to put their two cents in. Nobody in here knows exactly what kind of sub numbers BW has or even how much money they have made so far.

Without actually being an employee of BW, everything said in these forums is just speculation. Post any link you want, if it doesn't come directly from BW as a verified source, then it is just a stab in the dark.

Carry on.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-Hardware/zgbs/videogames/229575

For a game that is going under and was sold by Amazon for 39.99 for a single day it sure looks like it is doing well.

carry on =)

B-b-but they sold it for $39.99. No matter how much you fanbois want to deny it this game is dead... DEAD!!!! *stick fingers in ears* La-la-la-la-laaaaaaa!!!!

I played the first and was bored out of my mind, sorry i hate that series:mad:

***EDIT***

Just bought it, for 2.99 its worth a look. Some great deals on amazon. Also picked up payday & mirrors edge,

Thats because you have no creativity

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-Hardware/zgbs/videogames/229575

For a game that is going under and was sold by Amazon for 39.99 for a single day it sure looks like it is doing well.

carry on =)

1. That counts pre-orders, so the is highly skewing the results.

2. That only counts the purchase of the box game itself.

3. Compare the server status page from launch to now. FULL all the way down except for a couple servers, now barely any hit full.

Yea, a ton of people bought the game before launch, but they all stopped subbing. Box sales don't mean diddly, it's how many subscribers you have, which really isn't a lot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.