WOW really made me appreciate SWTOR

ellrochell

So SWTOR brought me to mmo's it was my first. After a month and a half I had two level 50's and was stumped with what to do next. I was frustrated at lack of content at the end of the game and lack of pvp at times. So I decided to try World of Warcraft as everyone bangs on about how good it is or was or whatever. I logged on for the first time and made a hunter warewolf and began my questing, and could not believe how dull it was up to level 10. There's no voice overs and its an absolute guess where to go for questing. I'm not ************ at it because it is a 7 year old game but the fact that people are comparing these two games is really surprising me, if people just overlook there addiction they had to the game and actually compared the two, SWTOR wins hands down. So Bioware you will be seeing a lot more of me on your game :cool:

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, what will keep gamers from cancelling their subscription is how good the endgame is. And while SWToR's 1-50 gameplay me be better than WoW's, once you hit 50 you are pretty much done. Raids are easy, getting full battlemaster is easy, and there is no competitivity at all since we don't have tools to measure our own performance, let alone others. On the other hand you have WoW, which lacks something completely unnecessary for an MMO(Voice Acting), and instead put more effort in balancing the time you take to complete the endgame.

So SWTOR brought me to mmo's it was my first. After a month and a half I had two level 50's and was stumped with what to do next. I was frustrated at lack of content at the end of the game and lack of pvp at times. So I decided to try World of Warcraft as everyone bangs on about how good it is or was or whatever. I logged on for the first time and made a hunter warewolf and began my questing, and could not believe how dull it was up to level 10. There's no voice overs and its an absolute guess where to go for questing. I'm not ************ at it because it is a 7 year old game but the fact that people are comparing these two games is really surprising me, if people just overlook there addiction they had to the game and actually compared the two, SWTOR wins hands down. So Bioware you will be seeing a lot more of me on your game :cool:

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.

Welcome back. :)

The thing is, what will keep gamers from cancelling their subscription is how good the endgame is. And while SWToR's 1-50 gameplay me be better than WoW's, once you hit 50 you are pretty much done. Raids are easy, getting full battlemaster is easy, and there is no competitivity at all since we don't have tools to measure our own performance, let alone others. On the other hand you have WoW, which lacks something completely unnecessary for an MMO(Voice Acting), and instead put more effort in balancing the time you take to complete the endgame.

Several years ago, I got a test account for WoW. And I had a very similar experience to the OP. The first quests had no real story and I missed any voice overs.

It turned me off and I decided to not bother anymore.

I've heard that the latest addons revamped the starting regions, but apparantly not fundamentally so, as the OP seems to describe what I saw then.

Endgame is nice and all, but if you don't even subscribe long enough to get there, it's useless and irrelevant.

I believe other MMO developers agree with this view - that's why most new MMOs lack in endgame. People first have to be convinced to get to the endgame. If you can't manage that, you can have the best endgame ever developed in MMO gaming, your customers won't see it, as they jump off before the get there.

Obviously, what turns you off from a game before endgame can differ a lot between players. WoW obviously works for a lot of people, but that to me suggests not just that the endgame is great, but also that these people enjoy the levelling experience. Whatever they did right, it didn't work for me.

I gave up wow back in April. Been waiting for swtor ever since. Really enjoying the game also can never see me going back to wow.

Welcome back

Edited by corbanite

I played WoW for 3 or so years i'm not really sure, and yes it has alot of endgame, at first glance, you get an update every 3-6 months, in those updates is usually 1 raid, 1 or 2 dungeons and the rest is un-necessary crap you don't really care about, and after a couple weeks all the new stuff is quite a massive grind, there's not much diversity,

Atleast BioWare is actually trying to improve the game, giving us unique options that set us apart from the others and are working there little butts off to give us content as fast as possible, its only been a couple months and we are already getting a 2nd major update, Last major WoW update was a couple weeks before SW:TOR came out and they have no plans to make any more content til the next expansion which is atleast 6-12 months away

No...they lack in endgame because devs have no idea what the **** to do. A great leveling experience will only keep you subbed for so long. It's limited in how you can improve and how much you can add, since once you hit the maximum level, that content loses its purpose(and thats how dailies are born). If it didn't work for you, too bad.

I know I had a good time leveling in WoW, maybe because I did it with my friends back when leveling took some effort. Admittedly, I also had a blast leveling in SWTOR...Problem is, the fun ended 3 weeks after hitting 50.

SWTOR wins hands down. So Bioware you will be seeing a lot more of me on your game :cool:

I played WoW since shortly after the release of the game 7 years ago. In it's own right, it is a good game, but does not compare to SWTOR. The voice overs are amazing. It is much better than reading quest text, though 7 years ago, that was the norm among MMOs.

What this game does that pushes the MMO genre much further is not only the massive amount of voice over, but the decision making system also. The "You Choose Your Story" in an MMO has not been done to this scale before.

There is currently nothing like this game on the market for an MMO.

Good.

Now you know who is honest here and who is trying to compare SWTOR to perfection.

WoW is a terrible game. As i said before, and i played the game for several years, the only fun thing about it is the raiding. The game is nothing more than an impersonal grind fest these days. Wether there are human players or AI droids playing with you makes no difference.

Blizzard fanboys will come here to hate on SWTOR and say how good WoW is, but you just have to think about it. Why are they here in the first place if WoW is so good? Very simply, because it isnt. People were just led to believe it was because it got several million players playing it. What they dont tell you is that the majority of those are in asia.

Edited by Nemmar

Funny its the other way around for me.

Sware, I was just thinking, you (I didn't)may not like Blizzard's decisions, but they are as professional as it gets.

Blizzard knows how to get from point A to point B, for better or for worse.

Edited by BCBull

Biodrones recipe for a good game:

-Voice acting

The quests in WoW are more varied, have better flow, and are within better zones (with better music). The quests in SWTOR are basically variations of two different quests with little difference between them and most are POINTLESSLY voice acted that add NOTHING to the experience.

Each planet has 1-2 major light side/dark side quests where your choices MATTER. The other quests are just pointless side quests where an NPC spurts the same lines regardless of what you say. The main class quest story lines are uninspired and feel hamfisted to send you to each planet. They're pretty boring compared to the Mass Effect story line.

Blizzard knows how to properly manage their games. SWTOR made me appreciate WoW and I could probably give reasons why all day.

Edited by Naivesteve

*shrug*

Some will love WoW and some will love TOR. There are those of us who actually love both. The Worgen starting area you are referring to is a linear quest line to level 15 or so to give you the background to the race. Sorry, if you got lost there you're better off sticking to TOR. If you don't like to read, then yes the story will be lost on you since no one is there to read it to you. Honestly, I'd sometimes prefer quests like that and save my space bar a lot of grief.

Honestly, the (insert MMO)/TOR comparison posts grow tiresome. Play the game you love to play and help make it better.

Endgame is nice and all, but if you don't even subscribe long enough to get there, it's useless and irrelevant.

I believe other MMO developers agree with this view - that's why most new MMOs lack in endgame. People first have to be convinced to get to the endgame. If you can't manage that, you can have the best endgame ever developed in MMO gaming, your customers won't see it, as they jump off before the get there.

And that's exactly why all games after WoW failed. It's not about questing or instances.

It's how those things create an environment in which a good community can be formed and maintained, i.e. the social aspect.

In ToR it's basically: You group up, you finish your quest/FP/OP, and you stop caring.

In WoW-Vanilla: You actually kept in touch with capable guys you encountered. By the end of Vanilla you basically knew half of your servers population (horde AND Alliance).

My prediction for ToR is: You'll maybe get to know your guild members, and no other faction players at all.

I've been an avid WoW player and have just come to SW. I have to say in terms of game play SW beats it by a mile. It's much more interesting and I enjoy listening to the cutscenes and taking it slow. The graphics and the scenario is much more enjoyable too. There's just a much brighter setting to SW.

On WoW I was always in a rush, trying to get to the next level and I never thought about the story line or the game play, plus level 85 is ridiculously easy to get to.

I must say though, if WoW had the SW graphics engine, I would love to play it again.

No...they lack in endgame because devs have no idea what the **** to do. A great leveling experience will only keep you subbed for so long. It's limited in how you can improve and how much you can add, since once you hit the maximum level, that content loses its purpose(and thats how dailies are born). If it didn't work for you, too bad.

I know I had a good time leveling in WoW, maybe because I did it with my friends back when leveling took some effort. Admittedly, I also had a blast leveling in SWTOR...Problem is, the fun ended 3 weeks after hitting 50.

Or mabey...just mabey....the game is just barely 3 months old.

If you knew anything about WoW, wich you clearly dont, (prolly a wrath baby FFS) then you'd know that it took at least 2 years to ven beguin to flesh out WoW's endgame. Were you to play WoW at 3 months in....you'd just start to see server stability and you'd be lvl 10-20 so far.

biodrones recipe for a good game:

-voice acting

the quests in wow are more varied, have better flow, and are within better zones (with better music). The quests in swtor are basically variations of two different quests with little difference between them and most are pointlessly voice acted that add nothing to the experience.

Each planet has 1-2 major light side/dark side quests where your choices matter. The other quests are just pointless side quests where an npc spurts the same lines regardless of what you say. The main class quest story lines are uninspired and feel hamfisted to send you to each planet. They're pretty boring compared to the mass effect story line.

Blizzard knows how to properly manage their games. Swtor made me appreciate wow and i could probably give reasons why all day.

trololololololol.

trololololololol.

You obviously haven't played the quests in both games. I'm not saying either are much fun, but if you deny that WoW quests are more varied than you're a blind biodrone.

Also, why would you compare a newly launched MMO compared to an MMO launch seven years ago? You compare current competition to current competition, everything else is irrelevant. This game is on a rapid decline because it's a WoW clone that does a piss poor job of copying.

The only reason why SWTOR was developed is due to WoW and the other plethora of MMOs trying to steal the slice of the WoW pie. Blizzard recognized a fairly vacant market with a lot of potential and capitalized on it.

Edited by Naivesteve

The voice acting of SWTOR does become repetitive after you've levelled every class but it is fun to watch first time through I'll admit. Never played WoW but played EQ/EQ2 for 10 years. EQ2 used to have voice acting but gradually phased it out as the cost was out of all proportion to what it brought to that game. Ultimately the long term player will end up turning off the cinematics and unless there is gameplay to take his attention their numbers will gradually erode. That is why the devs really have to concentrate on end game content / mechanics as it really doesn't take that long to get to cap when that cap is only level 50. At the moment this game is more accurately comparable with Skyrim. Skyrim with an online chatroom.

That said, having already done the min/maxing, hardcore raider thing in other games I am quite happy bumbling along with the storyline, levelling a complete set of 16 characters at the same time rather than aiming like an exocet at end game cap. My theory is that by the time I get all my characters there the devs will have fleshed out the end game experience for me. Due to the mechanics I can't see SWTOR ever becoming the hardcore heaven that WoW or EQ2 offers its subscribers and as such I am hoping for something a little different from Bioware. At the moment this game has provided me with what I was looking for when I left Everquest. That indefinable something that Conan, Warhammer, Rift et al couldn't. It's nice to be in on a game at the groundfloor again. One worthy of my money and attention. If it doesn't do it for you then you are free to look elsewhere.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.