Server Queues - Is this going to be ongoing?

Scritty

Sorry - sure others have asked, but search function is currently removed from the forum and I can't find answer anywhere.

AS the devs, producers etc have stated catagorically that EGA is NOT a stress test, what can we expect moving forward as regards server queue times.

I waited 1 hour and 5 minutres last night before giving up (queue was over 880 when I joined and under 200 when I gave up)

For hardcore players waits like this might be just about ok, but as someone who only has 2 hours or so a night to play (max) then wasting 60-80% of that time in a queue isn't the experience I'm after.

So questions (and please don't flame or answer this with half baked personal opinions on what you "think" the answers might be.

1) Are the servers marked as "Full" actually "full" or artificially capped?

2) Can you free up the log-in server so some of us who HAVE paid to play can at least start new characters on servers with space (trying to access another server to start a new character caused the timer to reset. server selection was not available for most of last Snight for those who had already registered a character on one server)

3) If the servers ARE full and the wait is well over an hour. What are you going to do about it in the short term?

Love the game, not trolling..on the other hand, not going to pay for a game that involves waiting for hours to get on.

If you have it all in hand and everything is going to be OK by 20th fine just say so. Yes I know server queues for new games are common. My MMO experience dates back to MUD in 1988 and just about every MMO thereafter.

I've waited for many games. It's also true to say though that some games never fixed the issue satisfactorily. They ran on cheap-skate servers forever and claimed that their "cost model" did not allow for upgrades and advice like

"Why not play after 11:00pm when the servers are quiet" just served to wind people up (and eventually gave them a cost model that involved factoring in less and less players)

I don't queue for F2P games...even brand new ones any more. So I'm certainly not going to be satisfied queuing for a game that cost as much as this.

If you are a SW or Bio fan boy who just ASSUMES everything will be fine by the 20th, and wants to start a flame war on this thread based on your opinions of what you think will happen ...then please don't bother answering - I won't read those replies anyway.

Steven Reid (Community Manager) mentioned something about this yesterday, along the lines of queues will continue for now, and will be present at launch, but will eventually become less of a problem thereafter as they come to grips with server loads etc.

If I find the link I'll post it here.

Edit: Found it: Email invite wave updates - December 15

Edited by FantasyMeister

Steven Reid (Community Manager) mentioned something about this yesterday, along the lines of queues will continue for now, and will be present at launch, but will eventually become less of a problem thereafter as they come to grips with server loads etc.

If I find the link I'll post it here.

Thanks for that answer :)

To my experience, every new MMO/MMO Expansion, incurs these long queue times at the start. I don't even want to get started on how bad RIFT was at launch.

I just suggest that maybe you enter the queue if possible earlier than you can play/have anyone at your house do it so that it is up and ready near to when you get home.

The queues will definitely die down, just be patient. :)

I know on City of Heroes, they used to boot you if you stayed idle too long to prevent long queue times. From what I can tell, that's not the case here. I've ran by someone standing somewhere, and ran by them again dozens of minutes longer. Still standing in the same place, still doing nothing. That might be something they can do if queues continue to be a problem. Implement a 15-30 minute idle timer.

Everything certainly won't be smoothed out on the 20th. In fact, that is likely when it will get real bad. But, given a week or two, things will start smoothing out and the server populations will stabilize.

It is quite common for MMOs to start with servers soft capped to the low end of what they can handle. In fact, that's probably how everything started when they first started early access on Tuesday. Slowly they've raised server caps and added a few more servers, but queues will still be there for a while.

Not forever, of course, as things will certainly balance out once everyone gets their fix and isn't trying to log in all at the same time constantly. The bigger the game is, though, the longer this may take after launch.

It'll get worse this weekend, and be all cleared up early January (ish).

Server load isn't an exact science, but we can look at all MMOs of the past as confirmation Queues do not persist too far past launch. Also, when everyone finally gets settled onto a server, Bioware can absolutely adjust max population sizes. No sense really doing much of that until people finish choosing their server, though.

Thankfully Warhammer came first, and game companies know adding more servers without long term considerations is far far worse then a few early queues.

Thankfully Warhammer came first, and game companies know adding more servers without long term considerations is far far worse then a few early queues.

This is what people have to remember waiting an hour or two now to get in is far preferable to playing in an empty server a few months after launch.

It'll get worse this weekend, and be all cleared up early January (ish).

Server load isn't an exact science, but we can look at all MMOs of the past as confirmation Queues do not persist too far past launch. Also, when everyone finally gets settled onto a server, Bioware can absolutely adjust max population sizes. No sense really doing much of that until people finish choosing their server, though.

They could atleast lock the servers from new accounts creating toons on the server until things are fixed.

I logged in last night and experienced the queue.

While I was disappointed that I had to wait 10-15 minutes, I was happy that the game is drawing so many players to it.

Would be nice if they could limit the number of player accounts using a server. This way it would shift new people to less populated servers and balance out the populations.

Im solo for now, still waiting to get in, and what I plan to do is keep switching servers if there is a que. I want to play all classes to 20 anyway to see what I like.

In the long run BW is playing it right. Warhammer is a great example another posted about. Very good game, managed terribly.

I've been in the queue for 2 hours and 10minutes. I understand your frustration completely. I would move servers if this wasn't the one my whole guild(who I'm an officer for) were assigned too. Its getting ridiculous and completely Illogical how this scenario couldn't have been foreseen.

They did foresee this which is why there's queuing in place to make people choose a different server. They don't want to hard cap it because some people are willing to wait the hour (or two in the early days here) to get in so they can join the same server as their guildies/friends/mother-in-law. While slightly painful, they have a clear understanding that healthy server population is absolutely critical to quality gameplay in the future.

I know on City of Heroes, they used to boot you if you stayed idle too long to prevent long queue times. From what I can tell, that's not the case here. I've ran by someone standing somewhere, and ran by them again dozens of minutes longer. Still standing in the same place, still doing nothing. That might be something they can do if queues continue to be a problem. Implement a 15-30 minute idle timer.

I know this not to be the case as I have been kicked due to inactivity and it is about a 10-15 min timer as I have a little boy that constantly distracts me from playing this has happened to me more than once and the re que is some what annoying :(

My problem is, when I logged in and created my characters, the server was standard... now it's full :) I can't switch my characters to other servers after creation can I?

No, but you can create new characters.

This is what people have to remember waiting an hour or two now to get in is far preferable to playing in an empty server a few months after launch.

This, this, and this.

If server populations drop below a certain level, then server mergers become a reality, and those are not good.

Not only do they create naming hassles (in the event that players on the merging servers had the same names and/or legacy names), but they create the appearance of a failing game.

Nevermind that the population is plenty to keep the game going strong, people see a server merge and think 'dead', which may lead to even more players rushing off to try differnt games and prvent other potential players from joining.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They explained this away, and did it truthfully.

Populations are always highest soon after release.

There will be a stabilization. Queues will shrink.

The one thing that we can all do in the meantime is find less-busy servers to play on and help ourselves with at least shorter queue times.

This is harder for people with a lot of in-game friends to do from an organizational standpoint, and harder for people that have a lot of time invested from a psychological standpoint.

If you have neither, and no one has the time investment at this point, then why not help yourself?

Are the queue's artificial to help spread out the population? Or are these servers really full based on their understanding of their hardware/software? This is not answered in the post. I have friends on a server. I wont wait for 20 minutes for a queue to play a game I have 2-3 hours to play. This is not acceptable long term.

If this is an artificial limit then I can tolerate it for a week or two while they distribute solo players around. It should also have been thought out better, in that if you have a toon there already it should allow you in, if you get disconnected it should let you back in within say 10 minutes of being disconnected. These things have been done in other MMO's, the idea exist's in production. It should be doable in this game's level of budget.