Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

I didn't say that. It's going to have a new tier of raid content and rated WZs. Of course it's going to have a new tier of gear. Like the valor 80 gear that was in beta.

I see it like a new arena season. Last seasons's old arena gear will be easier to get for the casuals and the serious pvpers will work on getting the new gear.

Oh lord I hope they add better looking gear than what they've got now instead of recoloring it again. For Sith Warriors the PvE stuff looks like a transformer and the PvP stuff looks like a reject from Mad Max. More Darth Vader please... and capes!

Edited by SirRobin

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always do this when they release new content so people can pick up obsolete gear.

They did this in WoW before every expansion just so the gear gap won't be as steep for fresh 50s. IMO it's a good move. Anyone who's even remotely serious about PvP should've hit BM already, so this doesn't really affect the serious pvpers.

So are you suggesting that they've shortened the gear grind because new gear is in development? What has given you the impression that they intend to add anything to the pvp progression right now?

From what I've seen and heard from BW, I think that they fully expected the current amount of progression content to last them a good 6 months past launch. They're on their heels now because they're losing a considerable amount of players to lack of PvP content, and they're desperately trying to close the gear gap by making it easier for players to catch up. They would contradict their own efforts to this end if they were to add more gear for people to pursue.

I think we're pretty much looking at PvP gear as it will stand for a while. They'll add WZs and some fluff, but that's about it. They're about to make their only level 50 pvp planet obsolete.

Except you completely fail to mention the fact that we're essentially paying for every day we play this game. You think most people are going to fork out 15$ a month to do a couple raids a night and hope that a combat log comes within the next 2 months (another 30$)? Please.

I think people do exactly that in every other MMO there is.

What is there to do in WoW at any given time?

One relevant raid, 2-3 hours of play time per week for most guilds.

3-5 relevant 5 man dungeons.

rep grind

daily quests

daily Battleground.

sound familiar?

It is laying on the ground and twitching ... at best.

This is what happens when you dont beta, only stress test and when said beta testers give you a suggestion you shrug it off thinking you know better.

Guy what you dont, and by of the year you will know it.

Olhan, Erikson, and the rest but especially stephan reid will never be allowed to touch another MMO in their life, and no company will touch em with a 10 foot pole. This is what happens when you plaster your name all over a crap product. Enjoy folks!

It was these peoples JOBS to have open discussions with the community, however they took the lazy way out and wrongly believed they knew better.

So are you suggesting that they've shortened the gear grind because new gear is in development? What has given you the impression that they intend to add anything to the pvp progression right now?

From what I've seen and heard from BW, I think that they fully expected the current amount of progression content to last them a good 6 months past launch. They're on their heels now because they're losing a considerable amount of players to lack of PvP content, and they're desperately trying to close the gear gap by making it easier for players to catch up. They would contradict their own efforts to this end if they were to add more gear for people to pursue.

I think we're pretty much looking at PvP gear as it will stand for a while. They'll add WZs and some fluff, but that's about it. They're about to make their only level 50 pvp planet obsolete.

No way, the valor 80 stuff was in beta, and they should show up soon. The reason they were taken out was due to pvp vs pve balance.

They have to add a new tier of gear for the new raid instance. Or else people will complain about how there is no point for PvE. By doing so they would have to introduce a new tier of gear for PvP so the PvE gear won't be the absolute best gear for PvP.

i am saying that, yes, this game has acceptable end game content...or at least as much as i expected it to have

you sir, have no idea what it take to make a game on this scale and i suggest you keep quite because of that

Must be a fanboy. Only and fanboy would say somthing so unintelligent.

Do tell me good sir since you have such a VAST array of knowledge on making MMOs how 3 half assed WZs no real OW PvP and 2 raids is sufficent end game content for 6yr of production??

Im looking here and about 90% of the people on these threads are saying there is a lack of endgame content so obviously you just tryin to pick a fight now so id stop while your ahead before you look even more like an ***.

Oh did i mention how that 90% have subs to this game?? Do you think they will resub if they feel end game content is lacking??

In all honesty I am worried about the game.

I had been all for it through the year or so I followed it patiently before launch. Me and my brother (along with quite a few other friends) blew up on launch and I've already put it at the 3rd highest hours played of any game in my xfire list

(including battlefield bc2 that never stopped recording hours after i played it till irestarted my pc)

It beat out my 100s of hours in skyrim and gta4

but the game seems very shakey.

The main problem i have with the game is that every one is quitting.

Its not a good single player game and i actually found myself going back to APB to play with my team and friends that are still playing that game.

Sad, because i was so hyped about it.

but it does seem like it is failing.

If it went F2p (yeah right) i would be happy =D

cause then i wouldnt have to decide if i was going to cancel my sub.

It's as if they made the game without examining the positive aspects of other MMO's and learning from history.

SWG preCU was literally superior in every aspect except quests, having the joke of the space combat in a starwars game is unacceptable. The ships in the game are aughable, everyone has the same thing no uniqueness at all and no one sees other people's ships EVER unless you group with someone but that's extremely rare no point when you can just take your own. Instanced hangers were a terrible idea.

Why would they cut the awesome bounty hunter system that you had to use terminals to find a player (or npc), send out probes to scan planets then send out droids to close the distance. This could have added some much needed depth.

Why would they not have open world player housing, player run cities complete with in-game politics,

Oh wait I know, because the planets are tiny compared to games that came out years ago.

By defining planets by levels they made everything obsolete when you hit max level, there just isn't any content and countless people agree.

Why do they feel compelled to be status quo with the cookie cutter design of pvp minigames instead of meaningful world pvp like other MMO's have done successfully. Instead of an intricate class system with many different facets you slowly level up in they literally cut and paste WoW's skill system.

There is just way too much that would have to be added for this to be anything special and I know they're not going to invest the money because it may already be too late.

Unless EA sees how the devs ignored the community and fires them all, replaces them with a team that actually has vision, talent, an understanding of the difference between mediocrity and actual replayability (No, starting a new character doesn't count, its not YOUR job to make the game replayable, it's the developers') this game is doomed for a slow death, fanboys will be all thats left in the end.

This game will be going for a long time. But it will be with A LOT fewer subscriptions than expected.

Success or failure for a MMO is determined 6 months after launch when the initial enthusiasm has faded and the game is left with a core population of fans.

I'll be surprised if this game manages to sustain 250k, which by every metric would qualify as a failure for Bioware & EA.

For what it's worth, I am very disappointed.

You know when you are wasting money when you check forums for any update of an MMO and it has nothing, and because of that you don't log in to play what you had paid. So I'm just using my remaining subscription days to talk with you all in forums and also tell that I agree with everyone about the engame PvP.

I really saw some horrible half-baked korean MMOs from small game houses around and I have to say SWTOR engame PvP isn't that far from those half-baked free-to-play korean MMOs.

So many years of development wasted in cinematics... If they really wanted to make KOTOR3 then it would be a kick-*** single player game and would be more cheap to make.

Greed killed SWTOR, and I hope the shareholders of EA demand an explanation after next quarterly reports. From this report they can't hide any numbers.

They thought they could get away by converting a single-player game into a half-baked MMO to keep the cash going for a while. And i feel cheated.

Edited by Nero

mistakes they made in order of the biggest mistake onwards:

1. Getting the Mythic WAR team to do their pvp.

2. choosing the hero engine

3. blowing most of their budget on voice overs and cut scenes.

4. making everything instanced

5. giving both factions separate linear paths with no overlaps

6. doing nothing to balance factions / giving one faction much more appeal than the other

7. launching with much too many servers

8. failing to fix exploits immediately

9. releasing with only 3 wz's

10. complete lack of communication

Edited by Evuke

I'll be honest with you this is the best MMO I have played in a very very long time. Maybe it will dye down maybe it won't. However based on what I have seen that isn't the case. Almost all the servers I see when I get on at night and afternoon are almost heavy. The only time this isn't the case is in the morning.

I don't know if this game will hold on to subscriptions or not. I know this failure now days doesn't really exist. Let say that the game lose to many players all that will mean is switching tactics. They will go the same direction as Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, DCUO, and many other games have gone...in short f2p. This of course will draw every one right back in to the game and it will have a healthy population. Players can come and go as they want and not be burden buy subscription.

F2p has made it possible for MMO that have lost to many players to go on to continue to survive. Will this happen with Star Wars that is still unclear.

All I can say is that for me I am having a blast playing and look forward in see what they do next.

argh i hate f2p games, they usually end up with greedy devs releasing super overpowered gear that you can only get by buying it from their shop with real money, and it ends up costing much more than $14 per month to stay competitive.

the people who win in f2p games are the ones with access to their mom's black amex.

argh i hate f2p games, they usually end up with greedy devs releasing super overpowered gear that you can only get by buying it from their shop with real money, and it ends up costing much more than $14 per month to stay competitive.

the people who win in f2p games are the ones with access to their mom's black amex.

Don;t worry, this game won't go f2p. EA will pull the plug once they see numbers dropping.

Don;t worry, this game won't go f2p. EA will pull the plug once they see numbers dropping.

I doubt it will go f2p. They'll have enough monthly subs worldwide to keep it going. But as previously mentioned, this game has A LOT less players than expected.

I doubt it will go f2p. They'll have enough monthly subs worldwide to keep it going. But as previously mentioned, this game has A LOT less players than expected.

EA doesn't do f2p. I doubt that they'll end up with enough monthly subs to keep it going, which is why EA will pull the plug. They want money. That's it.

Blizzard Entertainment.

There was a fairly big thread of people complaining that Blizzard never listened to the forums, and they were evil and stupid and the usual stuff, and ... Tigerclaw, who no longer works there, posted the actual forum metrics.

Less than 5% of active WoW Accounts (it wasnt merged with Bnet back then) had ever posted so much as a single post on the forums, ever.

The number who p osted a second post, ever, went down below 2%.

The numbers are pretty universal when it comes to large games and their forum communities.

Thanks! And wow, that is a tiny percentage. I never would have thought it was that low. I suppose it's possible the numbers have increased over the past couple of years, I point people to the forums more often when they have questions in game, as do other people. And I really think more people are more savvy about builds and BiS gear, but still, I never expected it to be that low.

Edited by maradigamer