Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Pvp gearing changed on 1.1.5 PTS.

shadowAI

Whatever they do with the gearing progression system, they should add a "starter set" that's trivial to pick up.

They already did, it is called centurion gear, is dirt cheap, easy to pick up and gives around 10% expertise + stats of lev 50 purples (if you will swap mods for those you really need).

IMO, change is good, everything that gets rid of RNG AND in the same time takes away excuse for quitters is good in my book.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They already did, it is called centurion gear, is dirt cheap, easy to pick up and gives around 10% expertise + stats of lev 50 purples (if you will swap mods for those you really need).

IMO, change is good, everything that gets rid of RNG AND in the same time takes away excuse for quitters is good in my book.

Apparently you are misunderstanding what I meant. I agree that removing RNG is good. However, the reason there are so many complaints is that it takes many many games to get a cent set and you are pretty much useless before then.

Some people don't want to play even 2 games as a completely worthless slot on their team, much less 30+. If this game had a zerg BG like Alteraac Valey I doubt there would be as many complaints, but it doesn't, so there are. 1 person wearing wet TP for gear makes a big difference in 8v8, not so much in 40v40, which I doubt this POS engine could even handle.

Edited by _Marou_

I think the root of this problem is that pvp armor makes too big of a difference in pvp.

A player should not be required to have full Battlemaster gear just to be competitive.

PvP in this game should be renamed GvG (gear vs. gear).

If gear mattered less then people would cry less about how difficult and unfair it is to get.

They aren't required to have full BM gear. You can always tell when someone quits after their first loss.

Centurion/Champion Gear and Expertise in general are very easy to get. They made it even easier with the last major change to it.

Now they're doing the same thing with Battlemaster gear and people are still complaining because they simply don't understand the situation.

Also, as I said in the post a few above yours, the Battlemaster gear is sometimes a downgrade to the champion set, and nothing close to a "requirement" for PVPing.

Summary: Get Champ gear easily, have fun, stop taking your game so seriously, it's a game - and stop worrying about getting Battlemaster gear and people who wear it.

Battlemaster rank has little value short of a couple better base mods with marginal stat increases, and e-peen merit.

Battlemaster gear is a marginable upgrade because in the end you still have to use the same mods as your Champion Gear. In the end its a +40 armor, +7 expertise, and +7 endurance increase every piece.

The problem is directly related to the fact that Rakata and Battlemaster have the same mods (minus the armoring). Accuracy is no where as useful in PvP as PvE.

1000/1000 is too high if you ask me, but it does serve a purpose because after rank 65 WZ/Merc com's have no purpose except for buying potions. If anything it should be more like 650/650 which is about 30-50 games.

1000/1000 is basically like grinding an entire lvl-60ish Valor rank.

did you get beat with the stupid stick or something??? it takes like 30-40 games to get that... you can do it in a day.

I saw people say this is going to be "fixed", but don't know what the fix is or where these patch notes are. Can someone please share the info.

I did see someone write 1000/1000, but it was vague... Does this mean it's going to cost 1000 Warzone Comms and 1000 Mercenary Comms to barter for a single piece of gear? Does it mean 1000 of each for a bag with a random chance at a piece of gear?? I hope not because this game just came out and 1000 of each for a piece of gear is a grossly excessive grind already! I really hope we don't just bend over and take that.

Bioware even specifically tried to sell itself on the basis that it recognized that players don't enjoy paying to have to sit there and grind and grind and grind.

I think Bioware needs to recognize that they aren't starting with a clean slate. Many people playing SWTOR are coming from previous MMO experience. They played those other games and got run like a rat on a treadmill and finally got sick of the grind and left. That is the number one thing I hear people saying made them quit the previous game they used to like - the massive grind.

And here Bioware goes starting SWTOR with a grind within the first month of the game!!! People are already sick of it. This is just not a sustainable model.

People are willing to take time and make an effort for a reward, but we also have a sense of when it goes overboard and starts to resemble elements of a prostrate exam.

did you get beat with the stupid stick or something??? it takes like 30-40 games to get that... you can do it in a day.

heh, 40 games @ avg (queue + game) of 25 mins a game = 16 hours a day. Although you thinking this is doable in a day speaks volumes about your lifestyle. Some of us have jobs and stuff, nasty things but necessary if we want to have the money to play games.

Edited by _Marou_

I saw people say this is going to be "fixed", but don't know what the fix is or where these patch notes are. Can someone please share the info.

I did see someone write 1000/1000, but it was vague... Does this mean it's going to cost 1000 Warzone Comms and 1000 Mercenary Comms to barter for a single piece of gear? Does it mean 1000 of each for a bag with a random chance at a piece of gear?? I hope not because this game just came out and 1000 of each for a piece of gear is a grossly excessive grind already! I really hope we don't just bend over and take that.

Bioware even specifically tried to sell itself on the basis that it recognized that players don't enjoy paying to have to sit there and grind and grind and grind.

I think Bioware needs to recognize that they aren't starting with a clean slate. Many people playing SWTOR are coming from previous MMO experience. They played those other games and got run like a rat on a treadmill and finally got sick of the grind and left. That is the number one thing I hear people saying made them quit the previous game they used to like - the massive grind.

And here Bioware goes starting SWTOR with a grind within the first month of the game!!! People are already sick of it. This is just not a sustainable model.

People are willing to take time and make an effort for a reward, but we also have a sense of when it goes overboard and starts to resemble elements of a prostrate exam.

the problem with PvP is its only time, no effort needed. You can never do anything in a warzone and you will get teh gear

My assumption was including loses with an average warzone comm of 75 and you do realize that 30 games is like 5 hours BEFORE wait times? It takes on average 10-13 hours PER RANK 57+++.

//

IMHO the "BEST" idea I can think of would be for dailies to reward you with Warzone commendations instead of bags.

So can we get some clarification on what a BM commedation is?

Right now a Champion bag gives me 7 Champ comms and 15 cent comms, I'm not a BM so I dont know much about them (Valor 57 Jugg, 47 Merc)

A mainhand Champ weapon is 123 comms, and a set piece is 67. Is this still the same?

Does this mean 1000/1000 Battlemaster comm follow the same thing? So would i have to get 123,000 merc comms and 123,000 warzone comms for my BM mainhand?

I hope this is wrong because that is around 400 matches to get my mainhand.

Now that I think of it, I understand why it would be better to buy comm's with PvP currency.

ATM the current bag system does not take in account how much effort and time that individuals put into the system. Basically the same person (Battlemaster) who logs on, does their daily, and logs off is rewarded just as fast as the person who plays for several hours a day. The RNG element just aggravates the issue further and the tokens in bags become useless once you and your companions are already decked out.

After Rank 65 (once you got the shazzy ride) Warzone commendations become useless except for restocking your potions.

//

However, if it takes "TOO much" (which is subjective) effort to get PvP gear than we'll be in the war of elitist vs casual, but then it solves two problems; excessive useless pvp tokens and pvp currency that is useless after 65.

I want a system that can find the balance between casual and hard core. Most nights I log on, do my dailies, and I'm done and others I feel like spending 3-5 hours PvPing. I don't want Vanilla WoW system where you had to play 5 hours a day in a pre-made and I don't want the 2 bags a day BM system.

Edited by ComeAndSee

I grinded out the BM valor through WZ and only ilum dailies and weeklies. A lot of the imps on my server took advantage of the valor exploit on ilum before they fixed it and there are a lot of undeserved early battlemasters... Even with their full BM sets they are trash.

In the end we will all be wearing the same stuff and your performance ( I hate useing the word "skill" now ) will show through more then anything else.

Let the people that want to put the time in to it get what they want. It doesnt mean they are good. It just means they got it first. My friends have been shutting down these battlemasters for some time now in Champ gear. There really isnt much of a difference, and champ gear takes no time to get.

Players that perform well are rewarded with "Victory" not better gear so they can dominate even more. Reward based PVP is kind of a joke... I would rather there be leader boards than gear.

I did see someone write 1000/1000, but it was vague... Does this mean it's going to cost 1000 Warzone Comms and 1000 Mercenary Comms to barter for a single piece of gear? Does it mean 1000 of each for a bag with a random chance at a piece of gear??

It will be 1k/1k for 1 BM commendation. One piece of gear costs 2 commendations. So basically you will need 2k/2k for one piece of gear.

3k/3k for main hand and off hand

1k/1k for bracers and belt.

But because of the DR of Expertise stat, I suggest that you don't get a full BM set but mix with some Rakata pieces.

Edited by PalawaJoko

I grinded out the BM valor through WZ and only ilum dailies and weeklies. A lot of the imps on my server took advantage of the valor exploit on ilum before they fixed it and there are a lot of undeserved early battlemasters... Even with their full BM sets they are trash.

In the end we will all be wearing the same stuff and your performance ( I hate useing the word "skill" now ) will show through more then anything else.

Let the people that want to put the time in to it get what they want. It doesnt mean they are good. It just means they got it first. My friends have been shutting down these battlemasters for some time now in Champ gear. There really isnt much of a difference, and champ gear takes no time to get.

Players that perform well are rewarded with "Victory" not better gear so they can dominate even more. Reward based PVP is kind of a joke... I would rather there be leader boards than gear.

Leaderboards are too "slow" in keeping pace with rewarding players. I mean, think of what made COD and BF sell millions -- the upgrade and level system that could be done at your own pace.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.