Storm - The ability to airwalk.

Dethlokk

I was wondering what other players think of storm as an animation, the skill itself is quite straightforward but the animation seems a bit off compared to our bounty hunter counterpart,

the jetpack makes a lot of sense. Now troopers would be rather lame with jetpacks but on the subject of walking through the air, that's just kind of.. odd even for game mechanics.

Now you might think " huh walking through air? it's just a charge right?"

Well in certain situations you can charge up to someone, like the huttball arena and you literally walk through the air to your opponent.

A cable like harpoon but swinging toward our opponent would be more suited in my opinion ( much like the grappelinghooks seen through out the movies, scaling walls ect.)

What do the other troopers/vanguard or even other classes think? Would it be more suitable? Or do you think walking through the air seems legit.

TBH, Vanguards were added as an after thought very late in the Beta. In the beginning, there was no such thing as "mirror classes." Hell, the tank ACs didn't even have a DPS tree. Bioware probably needed to give Vanguards a charge, but couldn't give us a leap (Jedi/Sith already have one) or a rocket boost (Bounty Hunters already have one). So, we end up with a buggy looking airwalk. This is the same reason most of our abilities have a huge animation delay when compared with BH abilities. They were added at the last minute as an after thought, and were not properly tested.

TBH, Vanguards were added as an after thought very late in the Beta. In the beginning, there was no such thing as "mirror classes." Hell, the tank ACs didn't even have a DPS tree. Bioware probably needed to give Vanguards a charge, but couldn't give us a leap (Jedi/Sith already have one) or a rocket boost (Bounty Hunters already have one). So, we end up with a buggy looking airwalk. This is the same reason most of our abilities have a huge animation delay when compared with BH abilities. They were added at the last minute as an after thought, and were not properly tested.

The mirror class system was instituted quite a while before launch. And the ability time delay with mortar volley was actually the result of a change close to release. Before that its animation and damage began right when you hit cast. I'm not sure what their justification was in putting the delay in there, but it certainly wasn't because it was "added at the last minute".

So back on subject what do you think should be done about this? Just leave it to rot or improve? Even if they're a late implemention of a mirror class I think (concerning monthly fees) they should work on it. I do feel that it's rather dull at the moment.

Could we actually get something done about it? And how could we do this? Do we even want to?

To me animations are one of the more important aspects to a game so as a paying gamer I would love to get my storm updated. Right now it's just silly.

There's a bigger problem with Storm. The run and leap animation takes a lot longer than the BH's simple jet pack... so what does this mean? Try using Storm from MINIMUM range; you will notice that the engine will SLOW DOWN the ability in order to complete the animation. As a result, you will travel in slow motion. You can literally run to the target and reach it around the same time as Storming it.

10 bucks Bioware doesn't even realize this and lets it go live in v1.2.

Yeah, that animation is so lame it makes me chuckle !

Maybe they could animate something like a "ion cell overload leap of awesomeness", like we got some sophisticated tech-thingy in those ridiculous backpacks they strap on our backs and not just the lunch Garza made just for us before that "Havoc mission !".

I don't know, the ability is called "storm" and the icon features a rather fierce looking electrified stormtrooper, and we use "ion lightnings" quite often...

Something electric !

Maybe we could release a captive miniature Sith Sorceror and make him or her push us towards the enemy with his knockback ?

Edited by Anacoluthe

I agree, I had to chuckle about your miniature sorcerer though :)

I thought my grapplehook/spider-man styled ropey would be suitable enough haha.

Also I think they'll just ignore it.. but then it's up to us to bring storm's flaws to bioware's attention. Maybe if we all report it's flaws. Or petition for a change.

Is it really necessary? I say yes because it's delayed or even bugged.

Secondly walking through the air is just.. No.. it's just not acceptable. Let the jedi do the jumping give us something more suitable.

Edited by Dethlokk

Yeah, animation tweaks and "improvements" are usually pretty far down the " to do " list of MMO crews, which is understandable.

Then again, storm's animation can get so bad so easily...

On a lil' more serious note, I do think something related to our ion cell would be nice and contribute to the "electric" theme the tanking tree, heck, the Vanguard AC in general, as going on.

As for your reverse harpoon, I don't know, it doesn't seem... "physics" enough for my tastes ! Troopers are usually beefy, wearing heavy armor, lotsa gunny gun gun stuff: it feels like grappling a wiry sith sorceror of doom and evilish blackness from the void of the deepest corners of the Dark Side of the Force woulf just pull the guy to us, so I thought an "Ion Charge" would be more appropriate, like overloading the armor's servos or hydraulics or what-do-I-know and jump in a burst of blue sparks of Freedom and Republican Justice.

And that's without taking into account the "glictchy" nature of that cheap huttese harpoon they gave us... So often do the Sith get pulled on the freaking ramp above the acid pit in Huttball because the game couldn't handle the stress of PvP combat...

Edited by Anacoluthe

What about combining the two? Picture the armor all sparky and electrical, swinging towards it's prey! (hence the ability interuption) Instead of a lousy bump a wicked kick.

But We probably won't see a change until next year or so. Wich is sad cause smooth animations make a game so much more enjoyable.

As for your reverse harpoon, I don't know, it doesn't seem... "physics" enough for my tastes ! Troopers are usually beefy, wearing heavy armor, lotsa gunny gun gun stuff: it feels like grappling a wiry sith sorceror of doom and evilish blackness from the void of the deepest corners of the Dark Side of the Force woulf just pull the guy to us, so I thought an "Ion Charge" would be more appropriate, like overloading the armor's servos or hydraulics or what-do-I-know and jump in a burst of blue sparks of Freedom and Republican Justice.

Lol.. Easy resolve. For beefy, fat bodytype vanguards harpoon will work as a pull. For skinny ones it will work as a leap. Gotta love videogame physics. Case closed.

Edited by Niconogood

Have to say I hate the Storm animation compared to the BH version.

I played a BH Powertech to 50 and really enjoyed it, so when my guild took the decision to reroll to Republic side I went with a Trooper Vanguard, but my dissappointment in the trooper animations (particularly Storm) has led to me losing interest in playing my Vanguard.

It just feels too slow compared to the rocket leap version that BHs get, anything that sped it up and made it a proper instant charge/leap would be a big improvement for me.

The Storm icon actually made me think about Exterminators from Warhammer 40k universe. It's a teleport ability though, but it sort of look like they spark out of one realm and then spark out again when reaching the target.

I'm aware teleporting might be a bit weird, but we do see that in Belsavis. Hell, if we run around with personal shield generators, then personal teleporters could be an option too :p

The animation is terrible….along with most of our animations compared to BHs.

Stock Strike VS Rocket Punch

Storm VS Jet Charge

Mortar Volley VS Death from Above - not only is DFA way cooler looking but it's not broken

Recharge & Reload - 2 fingers tapping on our guy vs hoovering in the air and venting flames? REALLY??

The Storm icon actually made me think about Exterminators from Warhammer 40k universe. It's a teleport ability though, but it sort of look like they spark out of one realm and then spark out again when reaching the target.

I'm aware teleporting might be a bit weird, but we do see that in Belsavis. Hell, if we run around with personal shield generators, then personal teleporters could be an option too :p

Warhammer is so full of win. Imagine having a rifle and a vibro sword like a proper space marine. If they wanted a lightning trooper then make a lightning trooper instead of awkwardly forcing it on stormtroopers.

• 2 weeks later...
I skipped the last two pages so not sure if this was brought up... those of us BH who have know the joy of Playing with our beloved Blizz, know he zip lines opposite from everyone else, instead of charging to you targets how bout a zip line like blizz? already have harpoon or grapple what ever it is, so it does kinda fit .... of course a fat trooper ziping to a little skinny agent would be kinda weird but hey so is running on air

Quakestyle Rocketjump, ftw.

Yeah, its a bit to silly.

But remember that Vangaurds are the brainiacs that tharge into a Sith to hit him with their Rifle (or a Pocketknife in the cinematic) instead of shooting with it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.