[Guide] The Jedi Shadow's Handbook

AstralFire

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The infiltration prio list states that shadow strike hasa higher prio based on the time left on find weakness, what is the reasoning behind that?

From my point of view Shadow strike with Find Weakness buff is more efficient than other abilities mentioned in rotation, but unbuffed version is less efficient.

Shadow Strike is a spammable ability, but in default form it costs too much force and loses some damage potential, so unless you have excessive force you can use cheaper abilities instead. I'd like to stress this point - Shadow strike has no cooldown unlike Project, Spinning strike and Force Breach.

Find Weakness is what produces cooldown here, not a normal cooldown, though. It is a buff that cannot be refreshed for 10 seconds. So once you proc FW, you have 10 seconds to use buffed Shadow Strike, but it doesn't matter for next Find Weakness if you hit Shadow Strike in first second or 9th or even forget to hit the button. Next Find Weakness can happen in next 10 seconds window.

So you have a "wildcard" strike that can be applied in most appropriate time. If you have other abilities off cooldown you can freely use them first without losing overall performance. If all other abilities are on cooldown you use Shadow Strike. On the other hand you don't want to lose buff in vain, so you better use Shadow Strike if duration on Find Weakness runs off.

Quick question here, Astral:

You said that leveling as Infiltration is the standout until level 22. What would you suggest respeccing to for leveling after that point?

I'm not Astral, but here's my experience:

At about 28, I respec'd to balance to try out some of the self-healing (to help me through a rough patch, and out of curiousity) and I followed the handbook's suggestions. It was alright.

Then, I realized that I just missed the pacing of Infiltration and went back. Currently 30 and loving it. So, go with what feels natural to you and you'll have more fun.

Astral, why is Sever Force considered to be lackluster and pretty much worthless in every PVE end game build I have researched? It has, roughly, the same damage as clairvoyant strike (which everyone seems to want to make sweet, sweet love to), and with the various +crit and +healing skills associated with balance's periodic Abilities, its DPF (is Damage per Force what we're using to replace damage per cast time?) seems to be even higher than clairvoyant strike...

I would love to play a DoT/melee hybrid come end game, but the research is telling me it can't work. I would love to know why not...

I will say that I am beginning to take some issue with the idea that taking Nadia as your permanent companion as a Kinetic shadow is a good idea. While she does very good DPS, you will finish any semi-tough fight with low HP and need to regen constantly. Using Tharan normally makes the fight take a short while longer, but you will finish topped off and ready to go. And that is with him using his blaster stance. That he has a good interupt with Deploy Holiday is another reason for always using him, even as a Kinetic Combat shadow.

First of all, let me say that this guide is amazing and has helped me out a lot. I just want 1 small point clarified. For the infiltration rotation it says "7. Clairvoyant Strike or Double Strike". At this point, I'm only level 27 so I don't have Clairvoyant Strike but I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything. Isn't Clairvoyant strike the same as Double on all accounts(Range, cost, no CD, grants Circling Shadows) except of course for the fact that it boosts Project damage? So wouldn't it completely replace Double Strike?

Is this so or am I missing something?

Hey astral, awesome guide thanks.

I had a question about the keybinds, I also use a razer naga, the keybinds you posted, what spec is that for?

I plan on doing tanking, would you change any of your keybinds based on that?

Thanks

What is the best companion for each of the shadow trees Tharan Cedrax (Healer/DMG), Qyzen Fess (Tank/DMG), C2-N2 (Healer). or Zenith (Damage) I don't know if there are more im only a lvl 36 Jedi Shadow i was just wondering though btw AWESOME GUIDE how long did it take you to make this also?

What is the best companion for each of the shadow trees Tharan Cedrax (Healer/DMG), Qyzen Fess (Tank/DMG), C2-N2 (Healer). or Zenith (Damage) I don't know if there are more im only a lvl 36 Jedi Shadow i was just wondering though btw AWESOME GUIDE how long did it take you to make this also?

It depends on the situation. I am Kinetic skilled and I use for "Trash Mobs" while leveling Fess in DD stance and Tharan as healer when there are more difficult mobs.

C2-N2 in my opinion is only good for cleaning the ship :-) It takes to much to equip him to be a valid healer. I don't have other companions at the moment.

Currently overhauling the guide for post launch.

I that including the links to the torhead builds? Noticing a few are incomplete it would seem in the tanking section? standard is showing 19/0/7 instead of 31/0/10and the other builds are off as well.

Great guide! Best I've found so far and will probably stay that way :)

Thanks for all the info, will make the JC shadow experience a lot more fun.

One question though, I'm stuck between choosing crew skills, should I go with Syntweaving or Artifice when my main goal is solo play (not much pve end-game intended) with a bit of pvp and some money making on the side? :)

Thanks and keep up the good work m8!

Cheers!:D