[Guide] The Jedi Shadow's Handbook

AstralFire

Hi everyone,

i'm a level 50 kinetic shadow, and im wondering in pvp do you focus more on damage? (this is my first ever MMO) currently im specced out for endurance and defense rating on custom gear. and i was just wondering what is the difference between epic gear and custom gear? and in your opinion how is one better then the other?

Appreciate your answers thanks.

-Joel

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Astral for this great handbook, its very usefull really! i still have doubts about the tree that i want to choose.. maybe i'll try the kinetic combat to see how it goes.

+1! ;)

Edited by AKIHA

Hi everybody...

AstralFire what do u think about this build?

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_consular/shadow/#::efe2fe2cefe6f23ef3ef5ef2ef2efe:

Am I giving too much with Clairvoyant Strike and 2 stack of Force Breach critical?

I hate people kiting my Infiltration Shadow when my stuns/force speed in cooldowns (also punishing that all ranged guys hanging on upper levels at Hutt Ball), this gives me a reliable 30 m attack with the penalty of not having Clairvoyant Strike (little bit less damage and %15 less with project) and 2 stacks of force breach crit stack (actually I am playing with 1 less stack now and buying the increase force cost for the Force in Balance, with Shadow Respite it doesn't hurt me that much...)

Edited by floriwie

If you go through Kinetic ward, don't hesitate to take it and use it. It works good enough against assassins, warriors, snipers and to some extend against mercs. And you never know when another 30 ft jump from behind will happen ;)

So its still beneficial even without shield equipped?

I use DPS companions every so often to take out trash mobs. If they're weak you can grind them much faster with Nadia than with Tharan. Any hard fights are much easier with him, though.

Note there's a debate whether waiting to Meditate after each fight is worth the offset of killing things faster with Nadia. For weak mobs I feel it is worth it IMO (you only need to heal every once in awhile).

well im missing some kind of kinetic-balance splitspec as tank pvp-suggestion:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcRokrskZZf0cRr.1

last few points either spend into "containment" for even more cc options (in a defensive role) or "infiltration tactics" for even more single target dmg. since last tuesday patch my beloved "force strike" doesn´t work anymore in tank stance :(

Fantastic guide, has been my bible ever since I started playing 2 weeks ago, so please keep it up :D

I do hope all valid speccs won't become obsolete with the next update though.

If that happens I bet us leyfolks can count on experts like the OP to make another guide lol

Really enjoyed the guide!

Regarding Blackout..

"Blackout: You'll want to avoid using this ability for improving your stealthiness most times, and instead use it to guarantee when you can go all-out against a target; it increases your Force Regeneration. I recommend using it at about 25% to 75% Force. Any higher and you risk wasting some of the energy, and going lower risks having periods where you have insufficient energy anyway; none of the Force would be wasted, but your burst period would be hampered. This ability does not respect the global cooldown."

Does this mean to use force cloak first, then blackout to get the force regen? Or will the regen happen even if you use blackout out of stealth?

And just one more thing for my own clarification, where does it mention that blackout increases force regeneration?

Really enjoyed the guide!

Regarding Blackout..

"Blackout: You'll want to avoid using this ability for improving your stealthiness most times, and instead use it to guarantee when you can go all-out against a target; it increases your Force Regeneration. I recommend using it at about 25% to 75% Force. Any higher and you risk wasting some of the energy, and going lower risks having periods where you have insufficient energy anyway; none of the Force would be wasted, but your burst period would be hampered. This ability does not respect the global cooldown."

Does this mean to use force cloak first, then blackout to get the force regen? Or will the regen happen even if you use blackout out of stealth?

And just one more thing for my own clarification, where does it mention that blackout increases force regeneration?

This is considering you have Masked Assault in the Infiltration tree, which makes you able to use Blackout outside of stealth, giving you the 6 seconds of 50% increased force regen.

Hi,

Our 8 mans raid is currently advancing through Nightmare modes and we just lost our off-tank. Now, they asked me to take the spot since it's easier to find a good dps than a tank.

Now, I have some columni and rakata tank pieces, but I'm specced infiltration. Since there's only 3 fights (EV-Puzzle, EV-Disciples, Karraga-4th droid boss) that needs an off-tank, I'm asking myself if I should go for the defense spec.

Can't I just stay infiltration and dps on 7/10 boss and use my tank stance & tank gear for the 3 other bosses ? Won't specccing tank will jinx my dps on 70% of the fights ? Is there any "hybrid-spec" that I should use ?

Thanks for your help !

Hi,

Our 8 mans raid is currently advancing through Nightmare modes and we just lost our off-tank. Now, they asked me to take the spot since it's easier to find a good dps than a tank.

Now, I have some columni and rakata tank pieces, but I'm specced infiltration. Since there's only 3 fights (EV-Puzzle, EV-Disciples, Karraga-4th droid boss) that needs an off-tank, I'm asking myself if I should go for the defense spec.

Can't I just stay infiltration and dps on 7/10 boss and use my tank stance & tank gear for the 3 other bosses ? Won't specccing tank will jinx my dps on 70% of the fights ? Is there any "hybrid-spec" that I should use ?

Thanks for your help !

EV puzzle does not require an off-tank. As they are vulnerable to slow and CCs. - Just kill it by slow/kite chain-stun. 2 add spawns = cc 1 kill other and you should be done with the puzzle before cc breaks on first otherwise you hit enrage anyway.

Ev disciples.. you mean council? No off-tank needed again you can kill any type of the mobs there as infiltration (I can at least) if you are geared for nightmare.

On Karagga's Robot you just need to do this: Put on all items that give max endurance - go in tank stance - and use your resillience when you explode a bomb droid in front of a console. You'll take zero damage and resist the DoT effect which you can repeat every minute. Then other 2 consoles shouldnt make a problem.

This is how i do it. Hope it helps.

Hi, Great guide!

I have been building my shadow with strength/endurance because I like to use melee and never ever use long range force attacks as I like Role playing as a melee fighter like darth maul.

It works very well for me. I do however use CC's and stuns that are at range but thats its.

What stats do you reccomend for me? as I like to Hack N Slash in short. Crit/surge? or strength/power? Or would Willpower still work better because it buffs stances that do damage on melee hits?

First off, don't slot strength. Willpower increases damage for Shadow's melee and force abilities, so you always want to slot willpower. Use Force Wielder or Resolve armoring/hilts for this.

The other part depends on what type of Shadow you're playing. If you're playing the Infiltration or Balance specs, crit and surge are your friends. Power is nice too. If you're tanking (doesn't sounds like it) then you want to slot defensive stuff (Defense/Shield/Absorb).

Hey.

i took a look at the guide, andl ove it. but i do have a few questions.

i'm currently leveling a shadow, and for most of my journey paid little attention to my specs or skill tree (heresy, i know). i finally started playing some warzones in my mid-30s and quickly realized i wasn't doing anything right.

i decided to look into a few PvP spec listings, and went with a 3/31/8 as my base. it DEFINITELY helped me out with my PvP stats, but it left me a little confused regarding my PvE experience.

when i first started PvP, my class quest was on Balmorra, and i was at-or-above level for the planet. i had no issues with any of the mobs or quests put in front of me. once i cleared up there, i left for Quesh. i was instantly hit with how quickly i was dying. i couldn't even handle groups of 3+ mobs that were below my level. does this have to do with my PvP spec, or is Quesh just that much harder than Balmorra?

also, if i'm wearing mostly orange gear, and concentrating on Willpower, will that carry over to PvP?

thanks.

Edited by PnxNotDed