Are androids and Iphones declared as "required" for playing this game?

NRieh

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the fine print at the bottom the page that links you you to purchase the game on this site:

"GAME INTENDED FOR PLAY ONLY WITHIN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE."

Seeing as the OP is in Russia and they regularly refer to Europe as the "EU", he/she is playing the game in an area not currently supported.

Edited by Matte_Black

From the fine print at the bottom the page that links you you to purchase the game on this site:

Seeing as the OP is in Russia and they regularly refer to Europe as the "EU", he/she is playing the game in an area not currently supported.

Then a very good question would be "why is BW directly selling a game in a region they aren't supporting?" That's like saying "here have this game, but dont come crying to us if it doesnt work"

I'm fairly sure if they meant the eu they would have said the eu by saying europe they clearly mean all european countries which russia and many other none eu countries are, also if you read thread the op said they bought it off the russian origin store.

Then a very good question would be "why is BW directly selling a game in a region they aren't supporting?" That's like saying "here have this game, but dont come crying to us if it doesnt work"

Actually they are not, local stores can easily buy and sell American/EU versions.

I'm sure there are many other ways to acquire the game.

Actually they are not, local stores can easily buy and sell American/EU versions.

I'm sure there are many other ways to acquire the game.

I wasn't referring to the local stores, I was referring to the Russian Origin site that sells this game.

I wasn't referring to the local stores, I was referring to the Russian Origin site that sells this game.

The OP mentioned that he can't officially buy the game in his country.

So probably just used the Russian Origin website to buy the game. Plus security key devices are available there.

Unfortunately the game is not supported in his country(not Russia)

In last Q&A session there was one thing that seemed strange to me. I'd love to have some clarifications about this matter.

Security vendor is avalible to those who use authentificator system. Authentificator system is avalible to those who use Idevices or androids(for free afaik). It also exists as small physical thing (for price afaik) which seems not to be avalible to all the countries, that may OFICIALLY buy and use this game. It is not mentioned among goods for my region, neither on the site (swtor.com), nor in origin store SWTOR page - client and timecards are all they offer.

So, following the simple logic - unless I buy myself an I-device\android device, I'll NEVER get an access to important in-game feature (Fleet Pass). Though I pay same subscribtion. And we are talking not about some rare mounts or pets or holodancers or special outfits. We are talking about NEEDED in-game feature here.

Also you do not need a smart phone to use the security key. They also sell a physical key which I like better.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA last item on the page. That is the NA site but your area also has that option.

Edited by Romiz

The OP mentioned that he can't officially buy the game in his country.

So probably just used the Russian Origin website to buy the game. Plus security key devices are available there.

Unfortunately the game is not supported in his country(not Russia)

I thought the OP was from Russia, and where does he state he cant buy the game in his country?

Edit: And as for the Russian Origin website, you're saying they DO have the fob and the OP is just mistaken?

Edited by Akirator

I thought the OP was from Russia, and where does he state he cant buy the game in his country?

I don't know, it is a very short list of available countries. Origin IP blocks everything else.

In which countries will I be able to purchase Star Wars: The Old Republic?

In North America, Star Wars: The Old Republic is available in the following countries:

United States of America

Canada

In Europe, Star Wars: The Old Republic is available for purchase in the following countries:

Austria

Belgium

Czech Republic

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Russia (Standard Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition only. NOTE: Digital Deluxe Edition is only available via Origin.com.)

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

You don't know? So when you said that he wasn't in Russia and he stated he couldn't buy it in his country, you were just making stuff up?

Ok you are borderline trolling

I said I didn't know, because he never said. he did say that the game is not available to officially buy it from his country. Therefore that x country is not Russia. Since the game is available there.

Edited by kionter

Ok you are borderline trolling

I said I didn't know, because he never said. he did say that the game is not able to officially buy it from his country. Therefore that x country is not Russia. Since the game is available there.

No, there's just a big miscommunication going on here.

I never asked what country he WAS in. I did ask where he stated that he couldnt buy it in his country because you claimed he had, and you replied I dont know.

And for the record everything hes said and put in his profile says he IS from russia.

I said I didn't know, because he never said. he did say that the game is not available to officially buy it from his country. Therefore that x country is not Russia. Since the game is available there.

It seemed to me that I was clear about my way of buying this game. Yet I may repeat. I GOT THIS GAME FOR MY LOCAL CURRENCY (RUR) FROM ORIGIN-STORE which also has ru-interface. SWTOR.COM also has russian page, which sells this game. The list provided in some posts above includes Russia as well.

YES, I live in Russia, YES they sell this game here, even in a box with russian papercover. NO, they dont sell authentificatoes here, NO, I don't use I-devices and androids.

Once again - here's the QA quote:

Currently, given how easily available fleet travel passes are on the Security Vendor, we don't think adding this is necessary.

Those are NOT "easily avalibe" to ALL the players, their avalibility depends on your phone brand and\or your location.

Emulator? Fine, just let THEM tell me that in order to use the feature that is already in-game and works so nice I need to use third-party software and\or buy myself a new gadget.

I have the security vendor open have haven't felt the NEED to drop a lousy 1k on the fleet pass yet.

Patience is a virtue, especially if you don't have an android/iphone :rolleyes:

I have a key, and I also have not yet bought a fleet recall from the vendor yet.....

Personally, I don't consider that a real important item... because i have a SHIP...

It seemed to me that I was clear about my way of buying this game. Yet I may repeat. I GOT THIS GAME FOR MY LOCAL CURRENCY (RUR) FROM ORIGIN-STORE which also has ru-interface. SWTOR.COM also has russian page, which sells this game. The list provided in some posts above includes Russia as well.

YES, I live in Russia, YES they sell this game here, even in a box with russian papercover. NO, they dont sell authentificatoes here, NO, I don't use I-devices and androids.

Once again - here's the QA quote:

Those are NOT "easily avalibe" to ALL the players, their avalibility depends on your phone brand and\or your location.

Emulator? Fine, just let THEM tell me that in order to use the feature that is already in-game and works so nice I need to use third-party software and\or buy myself a new gadget.

Thank you for clearing up kionters misunderstanding.

And like I originally asked/said, selling a game in a country that you don't FULLY support seems like a bad business practice. I feel for you, and you shouldn't have to find these kind of workarounds for specific product features.

Oh yes it's shorter, indeed. It's 60 mins afaik. They can do whatever they like and move to FP or GTN as they need it. I can move to fleet once per day, same way as all those who do not want or (as in my case) can not use authentificator.

I have the physical key that came with my CE. I never even buy the ones from the security key vendor. There is just never a need to be at fleet RIGHT NOW. I maybe use it once a week to go to fleet after my dailies, just to log out.

Speaking of security keys - does anyone know off-hand if you can link the account to both the physical dongle type (which I have been using) and the Android app version?

You cannot. There is no way to duplicate the key generation seed in order to do this, as you cannot get into the physical unit to crack the encryption code.

There's also the additional difficulty added to protecting the account when you start adding multiple authenticators, as each one (assuming they all have different key generation algorithms) would generate a different code, and the server would then have to have multiple algorithms as well, in order to figure out which one you entered (if any) were valid.

It would also defeat the purpose of having the key, if someone were able to duplicate the seed data that each key uses. The same goes for multiple keys. The more you have, the easier it's going to be for someone to find a way to hack the account.

The point is to make it secure, after all.

Greetings everyone!

We recently removed several posts from this thread for not being in compliance with our Rules of Conduct.

While we do welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, we ask that your feedback be constructive. For better understanding on helpful feedback, please refer to this thread by Allison Berryman.

As a reminder, please keep the following in mind when replying:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.

• Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.

• Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.

• Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

• Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

We encourage you to please be constructive and civil in your posts.

Thank you!

I agree with OP, I think it's ridiculous that they push the security key this way.

This game has username + password + security questions every time i restart my PC, and if you were to hack it, what do you get? My toon's speeder? Autopay info is obscured anyway. My google mail has only one password and it has more sensitive info in it.

And now I am also supposed to get a security key, that I either have to bind to one phone, or the USB stick that I have to bind to ONE computer? I don't think so.

I have no intention getting the security key and I'm gimped for it.

From http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game:

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Physical Security Key will retail for $6.50/£8.99/€12.99 from Origin.com. Physical Security Keys are available now in North America, and will be available as soon as possible in other launch territories.

So from this we know it's not possible to order in many areas. That question is answered. Enough with the trolling and flaming already.

The question that the OP needs to ask Customer Service is this. If he knows someone in one of the areas that CAN buy the key, is it possible for them to buy it for him, send it to him, and the key be used for his account.

Assuming that they say it can be done, the only real issue I see is that you would have to translate the code given into your language. If you can do this, and there are no other barriers to using the key (IE: the servers are set up to allow it in your country) then perhaps this would be an option.

Edited by Valethar

http://buy.swtor.com/us/#optional-game-add-ons - US Site Key Fob available

http://buy.swtor.com/ru/#optional-game-add-ons - Russian Site Key Fob Not Available

http://buy.swtor.com/fr/#optional-game-add-ons - French Site Key Fob available

http://buy.swtor.com/de/#optional-game-add-ons - German Site Key Fob available

http://buy.swtor.com/en/#optional-game-add-ons - Great Britain Site Key Fob Not Available

Make some French or German friends and have them mail you one?

And now I am also supposed to get a security key, that I either have to bind to one phone, or the USB stick that I have to bind to ONE computer? I don't think so.

I have no intention getting the security key and I'm gimped for it.

The physical key does not bind to a computer, it binds to your account. It's also not a USB device. You can clip it to your keyring and take it with you.

I don't see the issue with the phone app. Unless you're carrying several phones around with you, it's a non-issue. If you lose or break your phone with such regularity that the phone app is not practical, then get the physical key, and start using payphones.