SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

I would prefer it if this game were more like SWG in a lot of aspects. More free roaming, more sandbox elements (Player housing...). Better character customization and clothing choices.

And most importantly, some actually good space combat. SWG style combat, space PvP, actual dogfighting, rather than having a stripped down "Star Fox" space system.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

/agree

I would prefer it if this game were more like SWG in a lot of aspects. More free roaming, more sandbox elements (Player housing...). Better character customization and clothing choices.

And most importantly, some actually good space combat. SWG style combat, space PvP, actual dogfighting, rather than having a stripped down "Star Fox" space system.

I want my VT-49 Decimator.

Yeah pretty sure I never want to experience the grinds that you had to endure with SWG or the constant majority of entire server populations respecing to the FOTM class every time a new patch came out e.g Commando, Medic, Jedi, Jedi and again Jedi been overpowered. Officers somehow having a 1 hit kill as well in the NGE? Also should include the ****** Death watch grind, having to wait hours before attempting to complete a Mustafar instance again. Not to mention the fact that BH's could clone gank people after they died with clone weakness or lvl 90 BH's hunting lvl 30 newbies for bounties?

Yeah pretty sure I never want to experience the grinds that you had to endure with SWG or the constant majority of entire server populations respecing to the FOTM class every time a new patch came out e.g Commando, Medic, Jedi, Jedi and again Jedi been overpowered. Officers somehow having a 1 hit kill as well in the NGE? Also should include the ****** Death watch grind, having to wait hours before attempting to complete a Mustafar instance again. Not to mention the fact that BH's could clone gank people after they died with clone weakness or lvl 90 BH's hunting lvl 30 newbies for bounties?

And SWTOR doesn't have ist own versions of "the grinds". Almost every quest/mission I have run thus far has had a grind aspect to it.

Many of the players I know in game are not leveling just one toon but multiple toons, wich is not much different than respec'ing. And the Legacy System will encourage more of this multi-toon grinding so we can unlock species for classes they are not usually available for.

Oh, and there are already posts about classes that will no longer be playable after 1.2, or no longer favored because skills will be changing (which is why we will all get a free skill tree reset), so we may well see a new FOTM (or more accurately FOTP, flavor of the patch) after it hits live.

The Flashpoints are SWTORs version of things like DWB (death watch bunker).

About the only thing you bring up I have not seen yet is clone ganking, but obviously they are worried about it developing in some form or they wouldn't be making entry level PvP armors easier to get for those just getting to lvl 50 so the existing powerleveled toons are not dominating those who are just trying to get into PvP.

???

Flashpoints actually have a plot to them. The DWB did not. The DWB was a campfest after NGE.

DWB had more than one plot. FP has same basic plot each time with approx 3 decision points. It's not a night and day difference. FP's are already used to grind social and LS/DS points + gear.

And SWTOR doesn't have ist own versions of "the grinds". Almost every quest/mission I have run thus far has had a grind aspect to it.

Many of the players I know in game are not leveling just one toon but multiple toons, wich is not much different than respec'ing. And the Legacy System will encourage more of this multi-toon grinding so we can unlock species for classes they are not usually available for.

Oh, and there are already posts about classes that will no longer be playable after 1.2, or no longer favored because skills will be changing (which is why we will all get a free skill tree reset), so we may well see a new FOTM (or more accurately FOTP, flavor of the patch) after it hits live.

The Flashpoints are SWTORs version of things like DWB (death watch bunker).

About the only thing you bring up I have not seen yet is clone ganking, but obviously they are worried about it developing in some form or they wouldn't be making entry level PvP armors easier to get for those just getting to lvl 50 so the existing powerleveled toons are not dominating those who are just trying to get into PvP.

Clone ganking would be the same as camping the spirit healers in WoW for when people got sick of being corpse camped and just went to get a spirit rez. It doesn't happen in TOR YET, but give it time and I'm sure some oh-so illustrious PVPers will find a way. Point is, it happens more in other MMOs, but is by no means unique to SWG.

Pretty much everything in the post you quoted is complaining about things that are not unique to SWG, but to MMOs as a whole.

Edited by Bluerodian

Ah nostalgia

Never played swg but I did play sof2

For years every fps ive played since is just fail

And wow should be vanlilla still all those expansion ruined that game

Maybe after playing swtor for a few years I'll think the same

???

Flashpoints actually have a plot to them. The DWB did not. The DWB was a campfest after NGE.

And a plot (which as another poster pointed out DWB had) is only good for the first run through, then when you can anticipate the plot it becomes the same grind.

Edited by Yager

Clone ganking would be the same as camping the spirit healers in WoW for when people got sick of being corpse camped and just went to get a spirit rez. It doesn't happen in TOR YET, but give it time and I'm sure some oh-so illustrious PVPers will find a way. Point is, it happens more in other MMOs, but is by no means unique to SWG.

Pretty much everything in the post you quoted is complaining about things that are not unique to SWG, but to MMOs as a whole.

You may have misread my post. I wasn't the one complaining, I was responding to complaints about SWG by another poster.

I never played WoW, but your point about all MMO's having the same issues substantiates the point I was making...which is the things he/she put SWG down for exist in SWTOR (and other games) too.

Edited by Yager

DWB had more than one plot. FP has same basic plot each time with approx 3 decision points. It's not a night and day difference. FP's are already used to grind social and LS/DS points + gear.

Flashpoints are much more comparable to the heroic instances (Axva Min, Tusken King, etc.) in SWG than the DWB.

Flashpoints are much more comparable to the heroic instances (Axva Min, Tusken King, etc.) in SWG than the DWB.

I agree, but DWB was the proto-Heroic of the game. I liked the heroics btw, and they were really mainly different from DWB because they were instanced, had smaller maps, and had Boss fight mechanics.

probably shouldn't remind you of the Geonosian Caves, but that was the precursor to DWB and even that wasn't just a grind spot.

Creature Lair missions were grinds, and to be honest, I even enjoyed those back in the day. It must be me.

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.[/quote

I fully agree. I too, wish this game was a bit more sandbox. SWG had so much right going for them. They sucked in many aspects but bloomed in others. Swtor would do well to take note of their space, craft, world pvp, player city systems.

You may have misread my post. I wasn't the one complaining, I was responding to complaints about SWG by another poster.

I never played WoW, but your point about all MMO's having the same issues substantiates the point I was making...which is the things he/she put SWG down for exist in SWTOR (and other games) too.

I know. I wasn't referring directly to your post, but rather the post that YOU quoted. The point is that the things he was complaining about aren't unique to SWG. I also wanted to give a reference about clone-ganking so to reinforce the point.

I was just chatting with someone in game about this!

I played pre-CU, so I'm not talking about NGE.

I miss SWG's economy, I miss SWG's player housing and cities and I miss SWG's openness.

I like SWTOR.

But I truly miss SWG.

SWG Pre CU > Any game so Swtor hands down.

The day an editor will be smart enough to read the forums and see all the love for SWG pre CU we may have a real good game and not another failure.

It'll never happen.

Companies these days are interested in the big numbers. Doesn't matter if the players only stay a couple of months, so long as they get the big numbers for box sales. Better 1 million box sales where the players stay 6 months, than 100,000 box sales, and the players staying 6 years, apparently.

Oddly enough I was chatting with someone in my guild the other day about this :D

When it comes down to it SWG got so much right (the little details really did make the game) where as TOR seems have ignored the little details. As it is now the servers seem quite dead on TOR, throughout most of the week I've been on the higher level planets dont exceed more than 20 players.

In terms of the class quests it feels like a waisted venture. I mean really the companion quests are such a waste, what happened to the in depth companion quests we got in KOTOR? Where was the real character development? Honestly I haven't bonded with the companions in this game because of that.

Anyway in terms of SWG the space combat, the ships the animations all felt... Right. In the days where the game was highly populated and wasn't dumbed down the game was a true marvel.

It's a shame SWG didn't keep going and address the things they'd changed too much to please a certain part of the fan base. Dumbing down a game is never a good thing (Hear this Bioware?).

With the upcoming patch and the legacy system I'm not sure if I like where it's headed already. I don't want a scoundrel to have force powers, if you're going to allow other classes to have force powers and the like make people really earn it much like you had to in SWG, although perhaps without quite as much work.

It'll never happen.

Companies these days are interested in the big numbers. Doesn't matter if the players only stay a couple of months, so long as they get the big numbers for box sales. Better 1 million box sales where the players stay 6 months, than 100,000 box sales, and the players staying 6 years, apparently.

You are certainly right.

pvp: SWTOR (for to long I sat at the Restuss Space Port waiting for a single red dot to appear just to have over 20 people jump up and kill the red dot within 5 secs)

pve: SWTOR (there is nothing I can say they everyone doesn't already know)

crafting: SWG (SWG had one of the best crafting systems known to man)

Interaction: SWG (SWG offered much more interaction with others. With player cities and houses, guilds felt like guilds)

quest: SWTOR (while the quest are the same, the slight difference in class quest make the difference. SWG, you had the same exact quest from start to finish regardless what your class was)

pvp: SWTOR (for to long I sat at the Restuss Space Port waiting for a single red dot to appear just to have over 20 people jump up and kill the red dot within 5 secs)

pve: SWTOR (there is nothing I can say they everyone doesn't already know)

crafting: SWG (SWG had one of the best crafting systems known to man)

Interaction: SWG (SWG offered much more interaction with others. With player cities and houses, guilds felt like guilds)

quest: SWTOR (while the quest are the same, the slight difference in class quest make the difference. SWG, you had the same exact quest from start to finish regardless what your class was)

well put kraith :) I would also add, SWG not only had one of the best communities online i have seen in a very long time in any forum or online game, the player interaction with both sides added greatly to the player experience. Especially in PvP, where a reb and imp could banter back and forth at the line in restuss and before u know it, enough "smack talk" was laid down a great battle would ensue in restuss not long after. Or some of the best guild wars were started over 2 guys from the other side with a hate on for each other lol.

Yes the crafting system in SWG was "THE" best in any game going to date and miss it

already :(

The player run cities and guilds made the game have one more of the many facets of the game to play. If i was bored PvPing, or none on yet for me to kill, I could go play mayor or guild leader lol.

Although I do enjoy this game and thus far...... Its to bad SWG could not have jacked the graphics like this game and a few minor tweaks to keep the masses happy.

well put kraith :) I would also add, SWG not only had one of the best communities online i have seen in a very long time in any forum or online game, the player interaction with both sides added greatly to the player experience. Especially in PvP, where a reb and imp could banter back and forth at the line in restuss and before u know it, enough "smack talk" was laid down a great battle would ensue in restuss not long after. Or some of the best guild wars were started over 2 guys from the other side with a hate on for each other lol.

Yes the crafting system in SWG was "THE" best in any game going to date and miss it

already :(

The player run cities and guilds made the game have one more of the many facets of the game to play. If i was bored PvPing, or none on yet for me to kill, I could go play mayor or guild leader lol.

Although I do enjoy this game and thus far...... Its to bad SWG could not have jacked the graphics like this game and a few minor tweaks to keep the masses happy.

Agreed.

SWG's planets, TOR's questing and storylines, SWG's classes and crafting. All updated to TOR's level of graphics.

Now, that would be a game worth playing.

I would log into SWG with "things to do". I had a business to run on Corellia, there were parts of the planets under control of the empire that needed to be flipped back over to the rebellion, cities to manage, guilds at war, new furniture or homes to be bought, collections to be acheived, asteroids in space to be mined and one of my favorites.....flourish scripts to be macrod and songs to be practiced (my song "left my heart in Kor'Vella was awesome").

The point is SWG was a world, one in which you logged in to do "stuff"; sometimes it was combat, sometimes it was social. Flying out to meet some crafter in a player owned city on Lok was part of what made SWG so incredible and immersive.

SWTOR is fun, but....its not that world. I feel like SWTOR uses rather cheap tactics to make you keep logging in...alts (legacy), dailies, weeklies, Valor. Its basic bareboned rinse/repeat over and over.

SWTOR is not a bad "game", its just not the virtual world that swg was. Had they built the planets with a more open format with mulitple spaceports and cities with a dynamic enviornmnet perhaps SWTOR would feel more immersive but its not that way.

I am afraid the days of binary sunsets and herds of bantha are gone. Now we just log in and hang out on the space station trying to do flashpoints/warzones over and over again.

*i must say SWTOR graphically is amazing to look at in IMO, the characters just have more facial detail and that is nice, I just would like to see a more interactive virtual word rather than just another video game*

Edited by kirorx

It'll never happen.

If you are right, we're screwed, and I mean long term. All the companies have to do is do a bait and switch via advertising and the box sales will be there for titles. It will take the larger masses a long time to get wise to that tactic.