SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crafting that grownups do?

"Grownups" shouldn't waste their time with MMO's.

Why? It sure as hell beats having to listen to the missus moaning about one thing or another! :p

She has Coronation Street, Desperate Housewives and other drivel....I have an MMO, all fair if you ask me :)

..and to pitch in about the OP, I played SWG for 6 years on Farstar, I loved it, mostly, there was aspects of the game that were sh*te but the housing/crafting and social aspect of the game were 2nd to none. In saying that, I do like SWTOR but not once did I see this as a replacement/SWG2, just treated it as a whole new game...which it is...obviously...I'll go now :(

Also people don't got like 15+ rows of buffs, pvp in SWG was nothing more then who had the most buffs.

absolute nonsense, I've beaten buffed players while only on spice and brandy multiple times....pvp in swg was much more technical than in wow/swtor....

I've seen 2 jedi kill a group of almost 20 in under 5 minutes, while they had to run away from a gang of 4 the day after......the latter knew how to play and gear, the first mob didn't...

You also didn't have "15 row of buff", you had docbuff, entertainer buffs, spice and food/drink....And yes figuring out the best food rotation was complicated, but rewarding

absolute nonsense, I've beaten buffed players while only on spice and brandy multiple times....pvp in swg was much more technical than in wow/swtor....

I've seen 2 jedi kill a group of almost 20 in under 5 minutes, while they had to run away from a gang of 4 the day after......the latter knew how to play and gear, the first mob didn't...

You also didn't have "15 row of buff", you had docbuff, entertainer buffs, spice and food/drink....And yes figuring out the best food rotation was complicated, but rewarding

I loved the technical gameplay of SWG. I ran a commando/creature handler hybrid, with a very snarky Kimogilla. I'd send her in and then put splash damage on my target. My guns auto rotated to stack multiple crits, so the dude would have to either attack my lizard, which was hitting with a nice armor break, or take me.

I loved it.

Edited by priest

I don't understand why people keep calling this a WoW clone... its an MMORPG, they all have similar aspects. The closest thing to a WoW clone I've seen is Allods seeing as it has very similar UI and game mechanics, as well as Races and Classes seemingly taken straight from WoW.

anyways, back on topic....

SWG was a very different kind of MMORPG and I'm glad it existed, but in the business of MMORPGs being unique isn't the best way to survive. They need to be easily accessible to all players. That is why WoW has become so dominant in the MMORPG scene, it is very easy to pick up and play and understand.

I fear that the "revolutionary" MMORPG people keep waiting for will never come because it has come, it was WoW. Everything is counter referenced to WoW. It has become the standard. The says of EQ being 'the MMORPG' are long gone.

Therefore, I think SWTOR is a fantastic game. I for one LOVED the KOTORs, and when I heard long ago of this new Old Republic game I was very excited. To find out it was being turned into an MMORPG was even better. MMORPGs provide the ever changing, ever evolving world that Star Wars deserves. Seeing as how KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were the best selling and rated Star Wars games ever, it is understandable as to why Bioware and Lucas Arts would choose this world and general game format for their MMORPG.

I am very excited to see where this game leads because personally I feel the Old Republic is the greatest saga in the Star Wars universe.

I don't understand why people keep calling this a WoW clone

Because almost everything about the interface, the graphics, and the PvP is not just "based" on WoW - it's almost a direct copy and paste in many cases.

The formula is nothing new. WoW is, of course, just a clone of Everquest and Meridian 59, which in turn are clones of the early Might & Magic games, but even the nameplate scheme, the armor tiers, and the color coding in SWTOR are identical to those used in Warcraft. The look and feel of the two games is remarkably similar, and whereas most MMOs do use the same approach, others make an effort to at least add more differentiating features.

What I actually preferred about SWG the most was the setting. It took place during the time when the original films took place, which were the Star Wars movies that I grew up watching. I liked the idea that, while I was setting up my home or reconfiguring my harvesters or blasting local Imp scum, Han and Luke were out there somewhere in the universe doing their thing. Hokey? Yeah, maybe. But it was damn satisfying.

Edited by Blistrich

Because almost everything about the interface, the graphics, and the PvP is not just "based" on WoW - it's almost a direct copy and paste in many cases.

The formula is nothing new. WoW is, of course, just a clone of Everquest and Meridian 59, which in turn are clones of the early Might & Magic games, but even the nameplate scheme, the armor tiers, and the color coding in SWTOR are identical to those used in Warcraft. The look and feel of the two games is remarkably similar, and whereas most MMOs do use the same approach, others make an effort to at least add more differentiating features.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I think its just a way to ease new players into the game though. I do hope the PvP gets an overhaul though. Not that PvP is my main concern, but still would be cool.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I think its just a way to ease new players into the game though. I do hope the PvP gets an overhaul though. Not that PvP is my main concern, but still would be cool.

I think that the whole game will evolve over time, and that what we have now is basically just a post-beta early version of what we'll eventually end up with. Hopefully, that's the case.

Not to drag WoW further into this, but remember when it came out? No PvP to speak of (no battlegrounds, material rewards, or even honor!). Constant server crashes and reboots (sometimes locking players out for days on end). A few scattered raids that got decimated in very short order. And that was about it.

I don't see SWTOR turning into anything like what SWG used to be, because the games weren't built around the same key foundational principles to begin with, but I do see it evolving into something suitably un-Warcrafty.

Does that make any sense? Hope so. :p

SWTOR is such ***** game compared to SWG. You get to lvl 50, you have nothing to do. No content, pvp is broken. Not too mention poor customer service, and bugs. Its such a **** themepark game, exactly like WoW. Nothing will beat SWG.

Swtor never will be swg the only hope is that swtor die fast and some good company give us a swg 2

Edited by lordhaizen

I have to say, as much as I loved Pre-NGE/Pre-CU SWG, I've had more fun playing SWTOR than I did in SWG. Its been far more immersive and closer to the Star Wars "feeling"... Ultimately, I'm a Star Wars fan, I've played other MMOs, but frankly, none of them were this fun. For me, its not about the ultimate PvP experience, or whatever, its about Star Wars.

SWTOR delivers Star Wars far better than SWG...

One can simply judge this as yet another MMO, and you'd see its very similar to others. What sets this apart is that it is Star Wars, and especially the story. This will probably (most likely) be my final MMO, and the only one I really dedicate myself to from here on out. I will play it casually and simply enjoy it.

SWTOR is such ***** game compared to SWG. You get to lvl 50, you have nothing to do. No content, pvp is broken. Not too mention poor customer service, and bugs. Its such a **** themepark game, exactly like WoW. Nothing will beat SWG.

Swtor never will be swg the only hope is that swtor die fast and some good company give us a swg 2

Chances our, SW:TOR dies, Lucasarts pulls the plug on any future Star Wars MMO.

I have to say, as much as I loved Pre-NGE/Pre-CU SWG, I've had more fun playing SWTOR than I did in SWG. Its been far more immersive and closer to the Star Wars "feeling"... Ultimately, I'm a Star Wars fan, I've played other MMOs, but frankly, none of them were this fun. For me, its not about the ultimate PvP experience, or whatever, its about Star Wars.

SWTOR delivers Star Wars far better than SWG...

One can simply judge this as yet another MMO, and you'd see its very similar to others. What sets this apart is that it is Star Wars, and especially the story. This will probably (most likely) be my final MMO, and the only one I really dedicate myself to from here on out. I will play it casually and simply enjoy it.

No way you never played SWG in any period pre-nge its impossible for sure its a troll or another fake profile

No way you never played SWG in any period pre-nge its impossible for sure its a troll or another fake profile

Really? Do you happen to know me? I don't think you do...

Yes, I played Pre-CU and Pre-NGE, as well as Post-NGE. SWG and WWIIOL were two of the best MMOs I have ever played. But frankly, SWTOR is better than SWG.

SWG just was not that "Star Warsy" to be truly honest. A lot of the problem was with the fact that they didn't really have a lot of freedom due to the intersection with a lot of canon. They couldn't do as Bioware can because they had to respect the Star Wars canon that was in place around the galaxy.

I absolutely loved the crafting and the housing, the combat, the PvP, everything. I do miss the space combat and the housing. But while I did love those things, I don't expect other video games to replicate them or try to be like SWG. Too many people out there are doing this. Whatever game you play, just take it for what it is, and try to enjoy it.

There are SOOOO many MMO players out there that are jumping between MMOs constantly... Like SWG to Vanguard, Vanguard to Conan, Conan to Warhammer, Warhammer to Aion, and now it may be SWTOR to Guild Wars II, Guild Wars II to Diablo...

You can think of many MMO players as someone how keeps sleeping around with all these partners, never being satisfied, never able to fill the void in their heart, never being able to find real love. Yet their pattern (jumping from one to the other) is actually part of the problem.

Too many people hyped up this game beyond what they should have, and people need to quit with the "WoW killing" stuff. Why can't we just have MMOs, and take them for what the developers make them rather than trying to build them up to fit our expectations?

Many people complain about the lack of "end game" content for SWTOR. Many others complain about the PvP in this game... Yet they absolutely ignore the intent of Bioware. They have even said that they intended for you, once you reach level 50 in one character, to play another character and enjoy that storyline. You have 8 storylines, and 8 character slots you can play. That is a tremendous amount of content that many people just simply don't "want" to enjoy because they want what they want and they want it now.

Coming in, everyone should have known things like PvP would be secondary to story and PvE. Did Bioware's years of hyping "Story, Story, Story" not teach you anything about what the game was going to be? Did you never play or even research what KoTOR and other Bioware games are like?

In SWG, you were a dime a dozen, you weren't really anything. The main characters of the Trilogy never really did anything significant other than just stand there. You really didn't interact with them. The only time you ever got to fight them was during special events. Our guild nearly killed a developer playing as Darth Vader, and that was a lot of fun, but it took a ton of players to pull something like that off. I really didn't ever feel like my character was really special, or really mattered...

I won't spoil anything in the storyline for SWTOR, but Bioware has you intersect with major characters in a big way, that makes a big difference in making SWTOR a lot of fun to play.

People whined about SWG, they whined about Vanguard, they whined about Conan, they whined about Aion, they whined about Warhammer, they whine about SWTOR... Guess what? They will whine about Guild Wars 2, and they'll whine about Diablo... They will never be happy...

Do you think the problem lays with the developers? Or do you think the problem lays with you/us?

If someone gets upset at the people in one town, and moves to another, and gets upset at them and moves to another, and then another. Is the problem the people in those towns? Or is the real problem with that person who keeps getting upset at others?

Edited by Zekkau

Too much has been invested.

They will likely throw more money at a revamp than allow it to die early in its run.

This game won't die... It had a stronger start than most, and lets face it, it's Star Wars...

I think there are some haters out there who actually want it to die so they can be proven "right".

The same people wanted SWG to die, and Vanguard to die, and Conan to die, and Warhammer to die, and Fallen Earth to die, and Aion to die. The same people will eventually want Guild Wars 2 to die, and Diablo to die.

Those same people will never ever be happy. They simply refuse to enjoy the good things any of these games have to offer, because they want what they want, even if they get it, they will still want more and will still complain.

There are SOOOO many MMO players out there that are jumping between MMOs constantly... Like SWG to Vanguard, Vanguard to Conan, Conan to Warhammer, Warhammer to Aion, and now it may be SWTOR to Guild Wars II, Guild Wars II to Diablo...

You can think of many MMO players as someone how keeps sleeping around with all these partners, never being satisfied, never able to fill the void in their heart, never being able to find real love. Yet their pattern (jumping from one to the other) is actually part of the problem.

Too many people hyped up this game beyond what they should have, and people need to quit with the "WoW killing" stuff. Why can't we just have MMOs, and take them for what the developers make them rather than trying to build them up to fit our expectations?

Many people complain about the lack of "end game" content for SWTOR. Many others complain about the PvP in this game... Yet they absolutely ignore the intent of Bioware. They have even said that they intended for you, once you reach level 50 in one character, to play another character and enjoy that storyline. You have 8 storylines, and 8 character slots you can play. That is a tremendous amount of content that many people just simply don't "want" to enjoy because they want what they want and they want it now.

Coming in, everyone should have known things like PvP would be secondary to story and PvE. Did Bioware's years of hyping "Story, Story, Story" not teach you anything about what the game was going to be? Did you never play or even research what KoTOR and other Bioware games are like?

In SWG, you were a dime a dozen, you weren't really anything. The main characters of the Trilogy never really did anything significant other than just stand there. You really didn't interact with them. The only time you ever got to fight them was during special events. Our guild nearly killed a developer playing as Darth Vader, and that was a lot of fun, but it took a ton of players to pull something like that off. I really didn't ever feel like my character was really special, or really mattered...

I won't spoil anything in the storyline for SWTOR, but Bioware has you intersect with major characters in a big way, that makes a big difference in making SWTOR a lot of fun to play.

People whined about SWG, they whined about Vanguard, they whined about Conan, they whined about Aion, they whined about Warhammer, they whine about SWTOR... Guess what? They will whine about Guild Wars 2, and they'll whine about Diablo... They will never be happy...

Do you think the problem lays with the developers? Or do you think the problem lays with you/us?

If someone gets upset at the people in one town, and moves to another, and gets upset at them and moves to another, and then another. Is the problem the people in those towns? Or is the real problem with that person who keeps getting upset at others?

completely agree.

Whilst I agree that some people will never be happy, there is no denying how broken the engine to TOR is. No denying that the game is terribly buggy, A PC hug (even high spec machines have had problems). I had my first case of rubber banding yesterday and I wouldn't of expected that. There's no point filing a ticket with TOR as the never respond.

I was perhaps one of the few that was happy with SWG both before and after NGE. Despite all it's bugs and problems it was for me at least a truly immersive game that I loved from the start. I was sad to see a lot of people leave it and the eventual death of the game.

Whilst I agree that some people will never be happy, there is no denying how broken the engine to TOR is. No denying that the game is terribly buggy, A PC hug (even high spec machines have had problems). I had my first case of rubber banding yesterday and I wouldn't of expected that. There's no point filing a ticket with TOR as the never respond.

I was perhaps one of the few that was happy with SWG both before and after NGE. Despite all it's bugs and problems it was for me at least a truly immersive game that I loved from the start. I was sad to see a lot of people leave it and the eventual death of the game.

depends on what your refernce is.

SWG was 1000 times more buggy and unstable then SWTOR is. EVEN after Jump to Light Speed it was in horrible shape.

After Jump to Light Speed there where still server crashes every month.

But rose colored glasses and all that

I just don't see these bugs people talk about on here. Maybe I'm lucky, but I just really have not seen a multitude of bugs since Beta. At least nothing major that would cause me to say "its broken".

Also, I'm interested to see how many people that are on here complaining actually read/watch the various videos released by Bioware, or watch the videos from the Guild Summit, or the variety of Podcasts which have had Bioware Employees interviewed.

From what I saw from the Guild Summit videos, as well as all the interviews, dispatches, releases etc... I'm very positive and optimistic about this game.

People just want to complain. Complaining is okay, and bug reports are fine. Dealing with real issues and bringing them up in a constructive way is okay. But some of the way people are dealing with this and trying to burn Bioware at the stake is simply irrational, whether its on the SWTOR Forums, Reddit or elsewhere.

depends on what your refernce is.

SWG was 1000 times more buggy and unstable then SWTOR is. EVEN after Jump to Light Speed it was in horrible shape.

After Jump to Light Speed there where still server crashes every month.

I remember that we (Rebs & Imps) would purposely, during battles, try to crash the whole server to prevent a base from being lost. It was actually kinda fun because you could tell when the server was on the edge. You would have a battle with already too many people and you would gradually get more instability, more rubber banding, more lag, then bam, everyone is disconnected... lol

Yes, SWG had a lot of bug problems that I definitely do remember. It has some problems with it to, but it's biggest problem was simply SOE and Lucasarts, and the CU/NGE changes. That is simply what doomed it.

SWG was 1000 times more buggy and unstable then SWTOR is...

Well, rose colored glasses for the elements that they got right. The freedom. The flexibility. The games within games within games. And a community that actually interacted with one another in meaningful, constructive, player-driven ways.

As for the bugs, I can't tell you how many times I was out tooling around in the middle of nowhere doing this or that until I fell right through the earth and kept going. I gotta tell you, when you're falling endlessly through a void of rotten textures and object lumps, you begin to see the game you're playing with a fresh eyes.

I remember that we (Rebs & Imps) would purposely, during battles, try to crash the whole server to prevent a base from being lost. It was actually kinda fun because you could tell when the server was on the edge. You would have a battle with already too many people and you would gradually get more instability, more rubber banding, more lag, then bam, everyone is disconnected... lol

Yes, SWG had a lot of bug problems that I definitely do remember. It has some problems with it to, but it's biggest problem was simply SOE and Lucasarts, and the CU/NGE changes. That is simply what doomed it.

Intersting why are you not playng now swtor ? in my swg time i mean swg no nge i never used the board for nothing in years zero thread zero reply but you still here lol