SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

I AM SWG.. I was an inhabitant of SWG, I felt part of the server I played on. Not so with TOR, BW do more to encourage me to drop my characters to make new ones. I stand to gain nothing by staying on one character.

TOR is not an MMO... look at the the majority of the legacy, these are SPG mechanics rewarded on completion of a single-player game. Yeah, MMO'RPG' perhaps but it even falls short of that within the first 3 letters... Instanced to a meagre fraction of who is online is not massive. Infact current single player games with online featuers currently have more people per match than any of the instances I've seen on TOR.

I want to play in a virtual Star Wars world... I want my character to be consequential to the world around me. I do not feel like that is possible with TOR. Even warzones are simply a SPG online feature.

Exactly. This game is more of a FPS game with a few, if any social elements thrown in. And folks seem to forget that the slogan for SWG was "The Adventure is Yours" . Basically the designers gave the player the tools they needed to come up with their own content. and for those with the imagination, they did just that. Unlike the gamers of today, who want everything spoonfed to them. imagine if they were dropped back in 80s and given a set of d&D books and rules, and say roll your toon, and let's go questing! their heads might explode trying to use their imaginations.

While I did not in any way shape or form expect a SWG style MMO for TOR, I did expect to see tons of people everywhere I go, instead of the usual pack at Illum or the Fleet. Folks I used to play with quit the game bexcause they thought the game was dead due to not seeing another person on a planet for hours.

Even on the worse of days in UO, or SWG, or even Earth and Beyond, you'd run into folks doing stuff. Not so here. TO BW, combine servers, and figure some way to collapse the heavily instanced zones. Then you'd have a game that would appeal to both sides of the coin.

Edited by Trimag

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played SWG for probably way too many years. Enjoyed the freedom, crafting, HOUSING with deco, sandbox, etc etc etc.

But TOR was never going to be SWG in any way, shape, or form. Dallas Dickerson, if memory serves, was up to his elbows in NGE and wanted a WoW clone as ev1 at the time thought that was the way to make a sucessful MMO. I went into TOR full well knowing that WoW type gameplay was what TOR held.

The story is nice. (level 43 defense guard ATM) Problem I have is what to do after the story is over. Re-roll? I really like playing a main. True I had 4 accounts in SWG but all of those alts were backup for the jedi to keep him in items, vehicles, houses, deco, and credits. I'll probably re-roll but I seriously doubt I'll re-roll 8 times. I have no idea about what the longevity of TOR is, for me at least.

TOR seems to having some problems with player retention as referenced from countless "I quit" threads on these very forums and the fact that there is several servers that seem to be "light" pretty much all the time now, even in primetime. To be honest, Dallas could take some lessons from SWG (he was there after all) for end game in TOR. They also have several of the better developers that were in SWG (Adept comes to mind, fast). Leave the TOR "story" themepark just as it is (done well) and SWG sandbox the end game and I think you might have the best of both worlds. The great "story" based thempark with all the voice acting for leveling experience and the "sandbox" freedom at end game for player retention.

What you just posted was how Bioware said they were gonna do things. On a few occasions, they said that TOR would meet somewhere in the middle of themepark and sandbox. They touted how big the planets were and talked about how a player could just wander off in any direction and explore. When i first bought into TOR i imagined a good story while leveling and open worlds to explore and socialize in. Bioware kept the damn game so tight under wraps for so long, they never really let the masses see under the hood to how the game really was built. So of course once you jump in the story captured you and sucked you in, but it didn't take very long to see that the game was heavily tilted toward the themepark side and the sandbox they said that was gonna be in the game was nonexistent. So with that being said, i have to go with SWG. I made my own SW content and never wanted to log off. Can't say that for TOR.

It's funny you say that, because I feel exactly the opposite. SWG felt like a watered-down, "vegging out" sort of game lacking in genuine Star Wars experience to me. I mean, the DWB "liquids" grind is one of the most tedious mindless things I have ever done in my life anywhere, let alone in a game. Especially when the place was crowded and you were stuck in front of one NPC, killing and letting respawn for hours on end....that's not Star Wars. It requires no thought or skill. Just the ability to endure tedium for countless hours. Same for most anything worth having. My goodness, I remember just running around Yavin 5 killing stuff for no reason other than the super rare drops. No adventure. No story. Just "hey, I sure hope I loot such-and-such feather so I can upgrade my armor."

Even gaming functions like hunting bounties (NPC or Player) got tedious after a while. Get the name from a terminal, use a probe droid, find the planet, use a tracking droid, follow, fight, and repeat until your brain becomes mush.

What I appreciate about TOR is that they seem dedicated to giving us actual adventures..... real stories that have plots and give us reasons to do them besides the loot. The game isn't even 6 months old and already we're getting new soloable dailies and group heroics, new flashpoints and new ops missions. That's how to keep a game going. SWG? Hell, we'd be lucky to get a handful of new missions each year. With them it was all PvP class balance and that travesty of a card game. "Hey, give us more money on top of the 15 bucks you already pay each month for these virtual cards that might give you loot. Beats the DWB for another 115 hours doesn't it? Now pay up, suckers."

In ANH, Luke Skywalker couldn't wait to stop farming, crafting, and doing the housework so he could get on with having adventures. As a former SWG player I knew exactly how he felt. For my money SWTOR already has SWG beat a million ways to Wednesday when it comes to genuine Star Wars excitement and adventure. Long may it continue.

Bounty hunting in SWG functioned like that if you chose for it to function like that. That's an odd thing about the system, especially with player-bounties.

Inversely, you could have set up your own spies in amongst the players to help you search out particular individuals, form contacts, learn the bounties habits, bride the right people, and engage in actual bounty hunting. The system is what you made of it, same with all systems in SWG with the exception of that insepid card game.

As for the Star Wars feeling, it was in SWG after a fashion, but not in the contemporary sense. It wasn't intended originally to instill the Luke Skywalker or Han Solo experience. It was intended to create the experience of all of the other people in the galaxy and give the feeling of depth. At least that's how it felt to me. You could get those contemporary experiences if you wanted them but, like in the movies, it required effort or luck.

Sounds to me like you must've been completely stoned or drunk...There were pointers and instructions everywhere depending on what class you roled...one quest led to another and if you had reached out to any of the "old-timers" in the forums, you would have received TONS of help.

No i mean there are SWG players out there that said you go out and make your own adventures. How exactly does someone who is sober or not on drugs do that? i followed the chain that sent me to the planet, had me build my speeder and it got me to Jabbas palace, and eventually hunting some pirate (the name i cant remember atm). But eventually i got bored with that. Was there no other way, or was that chain it? were there other completely separate quests/chains you could do?

No i mean there are SWG players out there that said you go out and make your own adventures. How exactly does someone who is sober or not on drugs do that? i followed the chain that sent me to the planet, had me build my speeder and it got me to Jabbas palace, and eventually hunting some pirate (the name i cant remember atm). But eventually i got bored with that. Was there no other way, or was that chain it? were there other completely separate quests/chains you could do?

You played SWG NGE and that was totally different game than SWG pre-cu. What you played was just a step or two better than TOR and that ain't saying much. If you never played in the beginning, you will never understand or get it.

You played SWG NGE and that was totally different game than SWG pre-cu. What you played was just a step or two better than TOR and that ain't saying much. If you never played in the beginning, you will never understand or get it.

I see, so the CU was what had that whole 'make your own adventure' thing? and the NGE (which was the one i played of course) was the one where they tried to make SWG levelling more like WoW levelling? Did the NGE have anything in place at all that allowed you to have the old 'make your own adventure' experience?

I'm just trying to see how the whole 'make your own adventure' worked. In my mind i picture people RPing and going out and grinding on random mobs. Thats how i picture it because i havent really gone out and researched what it was like, or have not had people accurately describe to me what it was like.

Here's the thing with the Pre-CU faithful. You guys have been singing this tune for, how many ages now? You were a constant voice of negativity on the SWG forum for years, and now that it's done you've moved over to TOR, a game that has nothing to do with SOE or SWG, and are now a constant voice of negativity here. I hate to break it to you, but any sympathy you might have had gets flushed away by the fact that you've been an incessant whine across the internet that just won't stop for anything. You're like the old "The South Will Rise Again" sort that is still living in the Civil War era and refuses to face reality. Except that there's a perfectly functioning SWGEmu you could be playing instead of hanging out in other game's forums and whining and screaming about them not being Pre-CU SWG. You know, because that would make sense.

At this point I'm not even sure that you guys care about Pre-CU SWG to be honest. I think you just like to hear yourselves complain. I think you just want to rain on everyone else's parade. Otherwise, you'd put your money where your mouths are, play the damn SWGEmu already, and leave everybody else to the games they enjoy. But that would be too simple, wouldn't it? Better to be that nonstop annoying whine that will never go away no matter what.

Sad, but all too true.

Edited by Jmannseelo

I see, so the CU was what had that whole 'make your own adventure' thing? and the NGE (which was the one i played of course) was the one where they tried to make SWG levelling more like WoW levelling? Did the NGE have anything in place at all that allowed you to have the old 'make your own adventure' experience?

I'm just trying to see how the whole 'make your own adventure' worked. In my mind i picture people RPing and going out and grinding on random mobs. Thats how i picture it because i havent really gone out and researched what it was like, or have not had people accurately describe to me what it was like.

Even in NGE, swg had a bigger toolbox for you to make your own "adventure" so to speak. Several servers had active space communities and would do rp heavy or rp light themed and linked space events. You had player cities and player housing, where you could use items to decorate and make architecture that others hadn't thought of. This included player owned ships, where you could take a group up and just walk around your ship or hold an rp event. These also had turrets so you could have gunners in space combat. It was more of a "world" type feel. If you wanted to travel around a planet, they were 10k by 10k squares, which was kind of weird, but large. You would happen upon random spawns of npc's of different types and animals / nests. You could plant harvesters to get resources of different qualities that could help you craft items that were anywhere from mediocre to awesome, depending upon your materials. Picture that x7 and 2 more themeparky planets as well (think TOR style directed action with limited exploration and many walls that you can't climb). At the end there were Galactic Civil War invasions on 3 planets, where everyone, from non-combat entertainers and crafters, to the hard core (so to speak) pvp'ers could contribute to the defense or capture of cities. In the beginning there were "invasions" of certain cities by players. Not directed, but Bestine and Anchorhead became hotspots of player chosen pvp.

All that being said, the rpers here can still make their own story, they just don't have quite as many tools as they did in swg. It was just easier to wander in swg and still have fun (at least IMO). There were times where I would log in, just to check out a player city that had a cool name and see how people had set up their city hall, housing, and player owned cantinas. In tor I feel that if I'm not doing warzones or quests, then I'm just wasting my time (assuming I'm not crafting or talking in general while waiting for a FP group).

Here's the thing with the Pre-CU faithful. You guys have been singing this tune for, how many ages now? You were a constant voice of negativity on the SWG forum for years, and now that it's done you've moved over to TOR, a game that has nothing to do with SOE or SWG, and are now a constant voice of negativity here. I hate to break it to you, but any sympathy you might have had gets flushed away by the fact that you've been an incessant whine across the internet that just won't stop for anything. You're like the old "The South Will Rise Again" sort that is still living in the Civil War era and refuses to face reality. Except that there's a perfectly functioning SWGEmu you could be playing instead of hanging out in other game's forums and whining and screaming about them not being Pre-CU SWG. You know, because that would make sense.

At this point I'm not even sure that you guys care about Pre-CU SWG to be honest. I think you just like to hear yourselves complain. I think you just want to rain on everyone else's parade. Otherwise, you'd put your money where your mouths are, play the damn SWGEmu already, and leave everybody else to the games they enjoy. But that would be too simple, wouldn't it? Better to be that nonstop annoying whine that will never go away no matter what.

Sad, but all too true.

^ This is totally true , up till the announcement of SWG closing its doors the forums were packed with nothing but constant attacks on SWG and complaining on top of complaining about everything under the sun and alot of things that had 0 to do with SWG . The most positive threads for SWG came when the game was announced it was going to end with no F2P option .

I totally belive those same poeple moved here just to constantly do the same thing over again , talking about SWG on TOR is like talking about NY Giants (FootBall Team) greatest games on the NY Yankees (Baseball Team) website . Other than being NY teams they are nothing alike and when they were started no one ever said they would be the same .

People like to say WoW clone but its more than a WoW clone. Its an evolution of RPG based gaming look at games like bioware's Baulder's Gate and Baulder's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights and you will notice that the games control style is not far removed. Especially from Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights came out 2 years before WoW. All games evolve based on other games in the industry and based on the previous work inside a company.

Seriously?

Not too sure how it compares to Neverwinter Nights, since I never played that one, but honestly, how can anyone compare the gameplay of TOR and Baldur's Gate and say one is an evolution of the other?

The gameplay in Baldur's Gate was nothing at all like TOR, not even remotely.

Hell, the gameplay in TOR doesn't even have a lot in common with the gameplay in KotOR.

Sad, but all too true.

Except the SWGEmu isn't actually finished yet.

And besides, what is wrong with wanting to see a new Star Wars MMO succeed? Go take a look at the forums. Is it only SWG fans complaining? No. It's nearly everyone. Bioware are in over their heads with TOR. They have never made an MMO before, and it shows. Sure, they have some nice ideas, and the way they have tied the conversation/alignment system in to the game is very nice, but everything else is a little, well, mediocre.

You can't lump all swg fans into the same box. I'm a swg fan and do play emu from time to time when I want that star wars world feeling. I want tor to succeed because I enjoy instances and pvp and the stories that Bioware writes. I want to see the stories and how they turn out.

However, I do get annoyed at the little things they don't try to fix and the things that they put only the minimum effort in on. Take the Codex for example. Cool, flavor text, I can spend too much time on wookieepedia so that's cool. They say that's the collection/achievement system though, and if looked at in that light, it's pathetic. SWG's collections and WOW's achievement systems are both better, though I like the info I get with WOW's better. SWG showed collections only after you unlocked them (aka started them), but had a community that grabbed all that content. Say what you will, but what swg always had was a passionate community. Whether it was some pre-cu ftw'ers that refused to let go / move on, or folks who would make external websites to track resource spawns by server, planet, resource class / stat, or even ship part stats so you could know just how good that loot drop really was.

Right now, I've only got a community amongst my guild and a few allied guilds. That may come in a larger sense some day, I hope it does. It may also be different on other servers. I want tor to succeed. I also want space that isn't just star fox and for my companions to always emerge when I get off a taxi or speeder. I'd like to be able to work towards collections/achievements with information from the game UI telling me what's out there to work on.

Generally speaking, people who complain and don't talk about unsubbing, are people who want tor to succeed. There's a # of swg players who are in that crowd.

Actually just found out about swgemu in the last week. Downloaded it and despite its bugs i still prefer it over swtor.

Just the idea of having all the different professions to choose from is more appealing and with all those choices it feels as if your never quite done figuring out what or who you want to be. Whereas with swtor it only takes 72 hours of play time for a dedicated player to reach 50.

After leveling 4 characters to 50, (Juggernaut, Marauder, Mercenary and Sorcerer) hitting level 38 legacy, having one toon in full rakata, another close to battlemaster, my biggest gripe was how much of a grind it felt after my first 50, and progressively more with each sequential 50 afterwards in a game that wants you to roll alts.

While trying to knock out some Teras Kasi boxes in the last couple of days I found myself killing random mobs and lairs that arent apart of my quest. And I killed them all because it was fun and simply because I could. And during the middle of that I realized I would never do that in swtor.

Swg had sooo many options. Want to sit back and socialize? Be an entertainer. Love to min/max and hunt for the perfect item? Craft something epic! Your buddies from work just logged on, hop on your bounty hunter and track down that pesky jedi that has been evading you for the past couple days.

Swg wasn't perfect, it had its flaws like any other game. But it gave you the option to pick your flavor of the day and that's what stands out in my mind. I just cant find that in swtor when fleet/DK chat is barrens chat and crafting/economy is non existent.

All in all, swtor was rushed and because of that there were a lot of things that were overlooked that shouldn't have been. Hopefully the next couple of major patches will change that significantly.

Except the SWGEmu isn't actually finished yet.

And besides, what is wrong with wanting to see a new Star Wars MMO succeed? Go take a look at the forums. Is it only SWG fans complaining? No. It's nearly everyone. Bioware are in over their heads with TOR. They have never made an MMO before, and it shows. Sure, they have some nice ideas, and the way they have tied the conversation/alignment system in to the game is very nice, but everything else is a little, well, mediocre.

Bioware is doing fine. What they have working against them is two distinct groups of disgruntled hangers-on of other properties who boost the negativity level way beyond what it should be. First, as I've already mentioned, is the Cult of Pre-CU SWG: a bitter faction who have been spewing negativity nonstop since 2005. Their sad devotion to their ancient religion hasn't helped them conjure up any stolen data tapes, but it has had them raging across the internet even as the game in question has come and gone. Their anger is eternal, it shall never fade, and the entire MMO community must hear about it over and over and over and over and over......

The second group popped up immediately upon SWTOR's announcement, and they are proving equally resilient in holding a grudge. Of course I speak of the KOTOR 3 brigade. They don't like MMOs. They're quite vocal about that. And from the very moment an Old Republic MMO was announced they have been lamenting their lost single-player with fervor. Forget a fair shake...these people knew TOR was going to suck since 2008, each subsequent morsel of information reinforced their conviction that TOR would suck, and now that it's released they are paying their subscriptions so they can hang around and let us all know how bad it sucks and how right they were from the start that it should have been a single player game.

Remove these two factions from the equation and I think you'll find the praise-to-criticism ratio evens out to about normal for a new MMO.

Edited by Jmannseelo

You can't lump all swg fans into the same box. I'm a swg fan and do play emu from time to time when I want that star wars world feeling. I want tor to succeed because I enjoy instances and pvp and the stories that Bioware writes. I want to see the stories and how they turn out.

However, I do get annoyed at the little things they don't try to fix and the things that they put only the minimum effort in on. Take the Codex for example. Cool, flavor text, I can spend too much time on wookieepedia so that's cool. They say that's the collection/achievement system though, and if looked at in that light, it's pathetic. SWG's collections and WOW's achievement systems are both better, though I like the info I get with WOW's better. SWG showed collections only after you unlocked them (aka started them), but had a community that grabbed all that content. Say what you will, but what swg always had was a passionate community. Whether it was some pre-cu ftw'ers that refused to let go / move on, or folks who would make external websites to track resource spawns by server, planet, resource class / stat, or even ship part stats so you could know just how good that loot drop really was.

Right now, I've only got a community amongst my guild and a few allied guilds. That may come in a larger sense some day, I hope it does. It may also be different on other servers. I want tor to succeed. I also want space that isn't just star fox and for my companions to always emerge when I get off a taxi or speeder. I'd like to be able to work towards collections/achievements with information from the game UI telling me what's out there to work on.

Generally speaking, people who complain and don't talk about unsubbing, are people who want tor to succeed. There's a # of swg players who are in that crowd.

And those people aren't remotely who I am talking about. Having healthy criticism is, well, expected. I have a good handful of criticisms myself. I'm talking about the same people starting the same threads and joining in with the same "it sucks compared to pre-CU SWG" ritual that has been going on ad nauseum since before TOR was even a glimmer in Bioware's eye. Two completely different things entirely.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Bioware is doing fine. What they have working against them is two distinct groups of disgruntled hangers-on of other properties who boost the negativity level way beyond what it should be. First, as I've already mentioned, is the Cult of Pre-CU SWG: a bitter faction who have been spewing negativity nonstop since 2005. Their sad devotion to their ancient religion hasn't helped them conjure up any stolen data tapes, but it has had them raging across the internet even as the game in question has come and gone. Their anger is eternal, it shall never fade, and the entire MMO community must hear about it over and over and over and over and over......

The second group popped up immediately upon SWTOR's announcement, and they are proving equally resilient in holding a grudge. Of course I speak of the KOTOR 3 brigade. They don't like MMOs. They're quite vocal about that. And from the very moment an Old Republic MMO was announced they have been lamenting their lost single-player with fervor. Forget a fair shake...these people knew TOR was going to suck since 2008, each subsequent morsel of information reinforced their conviction that TOR would suck, and now that it's released they are paying their subscriptions so they can hang around and let us all know how bad it sucks and how right they were from the start that it should have been a single player game.

Remove these two factions from the equation and I think you'll find the praise-to-criticism ratio evens out to about normal for a new MMO.

There's a third group. Those of us that were with SWG to the bitter end and are now angry and bitter about it. I didn't care for the Pre-CU game. The leveling system was excellent, but the combat was atrocious.

Still, I'd rather be playing SWG as it was during the end of life than playing the EMU or playing what TOR has to offer.

There's a third group. Those of us that were with SWG to the bitter end and are now angry and bitter about it. I didn't care for the Pre-CU game. The leveling system was excellent, but the combat was atrocious.

Yeah, I hear ya. Makes sense. I'd even agree to a point. I too preferred post-NGE SWG as heretical as some might find it. Man, 2005 was a banner year for me, with both the Rage of the Wookiees and Trials of Obi Wan espansions. For a PvE quest-oriented player like me it was heaven. If SWG would have kept pumping out content like that I would have been right there to the bitter end with you. Unfortunately it went from feast to famine, and the lack of content left me more and more disgruntled with the game as time went on. The CCG was the final straw for me. I quit in disgust and never looked back.

Still, I'd rather be playing SWG as it was during the end of life than playing the EMU or playing what TOR has to offer.

That's where we really part ways. I have been loving TOR so far. Basically everything I wished SWG did more of, this game does more of. Can't please everyone I guess.

I'm gonna give the EMU a pass. That era of SWG never impressed me anyway.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Sad, but all too true.

Its so awesome to see a SWG vet that's able to let go. Seriously, you've reignited by faith in that portion of the MMO community.

Kinda.

Somewhat.

Alright, not really but its given me hope that they're not all butthurt little whiners.