SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

I think it's ironic that before this game went live players all over the SWG forums talked about how great TOR was going to be, never forseeing it leading to the demise of the game that they loved so much. I said it then and say it now TOR can't take the place of SWG in the hearts of all who loved it for the MMO it truely was.

I miss chasing down flagged Rebs on my Barc, and having to fly damn near across a whole planet to catch them. I miss the buff house banter in Restuss, taking the Med Center and having epic 10min pvp battles. I don't miss the lag though. Player cities, starports, vendors, traveling to planets for a reason, beast crafting/pets (with the options for mutations for rare pets).

TOR just doesn't have anything to offer to keep you interested for long term enjoyment. Crafting is damn near pointless, you level faster than you can craft and RE the items you are trying to make for your level. Then when you hit 50 crafting is pointless altogether unless you are 1 of 2 professions .... Slicing for augments that you can't really use.

Basically TOR is a 1 player game with the option for grouping and guilding. Space was ok until I realized that I was doing the same missions over and over with little more difficulty each level. I understand that TOR is new but how can they fix so much in such a short time to keep people happy to keep the cancelations down. Say what you wish but server pops are getting lower and lower. How long will you continue to pay to play a console game set up to be an MMO. KOTOR was fun but I paid 1 time to play it as many times as I wanted.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

I completely agree, I still prefer SWG over SWTOR however I am just playing this now because SWG is gone, SWGEMU just doesn't work for me I played from 2003 to 2011 on swg and I know that I will get alot of crud for this but I actually prefered the NGE.

I think it's ironic that before this game went live players all over the SWG forums talked about how great TOR was going to be, never forseeing it leading to the demise of the game that they loved so much. I said it then and say it now TOR can't take the place of SWG in the hearts of all who loved it for the MMO it truely was.

Doesn't help that both LA and SOE both point-blank said that the games would coexist when asked.

One good thing Bioware has been doing, has been listening...UI was a major complaint for many, now its getting fixed.

Level 50 pvp brackets were put in quick because it was common complaint. The gear customization issues are getting worked on now amongst so much more.

The point is complaining is constructive when developers listen; i feel biowars has been pretty solid on listening.

Still some things have to be voiced; chat bubbles, tab targeting and so many others have yet to be fixed, but I have faith in Bioware that they will fix them because...they are listening.

Will complaining gives us more open worlds or day and night cycles, IDK. With as instanced as planets are maybe they can. Maybe they can create new starports that are open worlds rather than a series of questing areas. Only time will tell.

BioWare are still being very selective in what they listen to.

Quite possibly the longest running thread these forums have seen, from well before launch, and still going in the General Discussion, at least 100,000 posts ranging from outright moaning and complaining to detailed, constructive suggestions, yet that thread has not had a single developer post in it apart from the 'This thread has reached the 1000 post mark, so we have started a new one.'

Yes, that's right. It's the Space Combat thread. And Bioware completely ignored a poll that was posted around a year before they actually revealed what space combat in TOR was like, or if they did look at the poll, they went with the option that had the lowest rating possible (less than 10% of voters wanted a tunnel shooter, around 70% (I think) wanted some kind of 3D space that allowed multiplayer).

Rejoice SWGers, Bioware has announced a feature in 1.2 where you can become the Ship Droid doing all the things you loved to do back in SWG:

• Meal preparation
  • Window cleaning
  • Wall repainting
  • Seat recushioning
  • Toilet cleaning

Because that's the kind of stuff people liked pay monthly for in SWG so rejoice until you realize what day it is today. :tran_grin:

At least it would have been something different to do instead of the same old 'Go here, hit these. Go there, hit those.' formula.

At least it would have been something different to do instead of the same old 'Go here, hit these. Go there, hit those.' formula.

This ^

TOR has no soul, it has no community.

Just a bunch of errand boys going to point A to deliver X product to point B.

The crafting and social classes in SWG were a lot more empowered. They ran the show when it came to creating, enhancing, and marketing items. It paid to make friends with them.

I can give a rats backside about the community in TOR, the only person I have loyalty to is the commendation vendor. A bloody NPC has more to offer me then any of you.

That is why TOR is NOT a MMORPG. It is a massive single player game, and a joke one at that.

BioWare are still being very selective in what they listen to.

Quite possibly the longest running thread these forums have seen, from well before launch, and still going in the General Discussion, at least 100,000 posts ranging from outright moaning and complaining to detailed, constructive suggestions, yet that thread has not had a single developer post in it apart from the 'This thread has reached the 1000 post mark, so we have started a new one.'

Yes, that's right. It's the Space Combat thread. And Bioware completely ignored a poll that was posted around a year before they actually revealed what space combat in TOR was like, or if they did look at the poll, they went with the option that had the lowest rating possible (less than 10% of voters wanted a tunnel shooter, around 70% (I think) wanted some kind of 3D space that allowed multiplayer).

How are they ignoring it???? They have said MANY TIMES something BIG is coming to Space Combat.

How are they ignoring it???? They have said MANY TIMES something BIG is coming to Space Combat.

Yet there hasn't been a single yellow post in any of the incarnations of that thread apart from, as I said, the 'This thread has reached the 1000 posts limit...'

They have said (once or twice so far as I am aware, so not many times) that something big is coming to space combat, but there are no indications of what that is, therefore, no indication that we have been listened to at all.

Since before the game was launched, there has been talk which originated with the devs about guild capital ships. Perhaps that is their big thing for space. If so, that is the devs blindly following their own goals, instead of listening to their community. Granted, guild capital ships is a pretty cool idea, but still, nothing to say they have listened to anything that has already been said.

Without more information, more than just the occasional hint that could mean anything, we do not know if they have listened to us or not, and their total lack of communication on the subject with those of us who feel most strongly about it (ie, those of us who keep posting in the space combat thread) does not get our hopes or confidence up.

Yeah we'll be able to do a loop de loop instead of just a barrel role in space combat next!

Oooh, wow... All my objections to space combat will just vanish with this ability :p

Jarjarloves, this is exactly what I mean. For all we know, they might be doing just this with space combat - something that Bioware have never done in their previous games (therefore 'big' for them), yet something that really won't improve satisfaction at the way space combat is portrayed.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

They should contract in Factor 5 in to get the space combat perfect. The space combat in SWG was perfect I found. The fact you could fly your ships on planet above cities was brilliant as well.

Gah for all it's faults it still felt more part of the SW universe than most of TOR does. The empire story is the only thing that really feels part of the universe.

Yet there hasn't been a single yellow post in any of the incarnations of that thread apart from, as I said, the 'This thread has reached the 1000 posts limit...'

They have said (once or twice so far as I am aware, so not many times) that something big is coming to space combat, but there are no indications of what that is, therefore, no indication that we have been listened to at all.

Since before the game was launched, there has been talk which originated with the devs about guild capital ships. Perhaps that is their big thing for space. If so, that is the devs blindly following their own goals, instead of listening to their community. Granted, guild capital ships is a pretty cool idea, but still, nothing to say they have listened to anything that has already been said.

Without more information, more than just the occasional hint that could mean anything, we do not know if they have listened to us or not, and their total lack of communication on the subject with those of us who feel most strongly about it (ie, those of us who keep posting in the space combat thread) does not get our hopes or confidence up.

yes it could mean anything they are not ready to put the information out yet.

Just like anything else if you put the information out too soon and you have to change things then the fan base gets really pissed.

Its better to just wait and see. To say they haven't said anything is a lie. they have told you something big is coming and they are not ready to tell you what.

As for guild capital ships those are two different things. They have said there are guild capital ships AND something big for space combat.

yes it could mean anything they are not ready to put the information out yet.

Just like anything else if you put the information out too soon and you have to change things then the fan base gets really pissed.

Its better to just wait and see. To say they haven't said anything is a lie. they have told you something big is coming and they are not ready to tell you what.

As for guild capital ships those are two different things. They have said there are guild capital ships AND something big for space combat.

They have not said anywhere that this big thing for space and the guild capital ships are mutually exclusive. One may indeed be the other.

And I can certainly understand them not wanting to give out specific details of what they are working on, but no comment from them at all in approaching 3 years or so (maybe longer, I forget exactly when the space combat reveal was), even just to say that they have read our posts and understand our concerns (without going into any detail about anything, or even confirming if they are doing anything or not), but not even that much of an effort from the devs, and we are supposed to blindly trust that when they say 'something big' is coming for space combat, that it is going to make everything ok again?

Especially after they ignored all of the original space combat polls and put something in the game that a very, very small portion of the original voters voted for.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Swg over swtor any time. I don't know how the game was before nge and cu because i started playing it after those but it was still in my opinion 1000x better that swtor now. Swtor is still imo unfinished.. they should have released the game at patch 1.2.

When it was first released, SWG blew my mind right out the back of my head.

I could choose any race and change/combine any class in the game at any time I wanted. I loved the music. I loved the graphics. I loved the community. I loved the fact that I could build a damn house on Naboo and establish harvesters all around. I loved that players started their own businesses and towns, and I loved that you could just lose yourself in the damn game for countless hours doing the silliest and most unexpected things.

Player-organized open air concerts. Subterfuge. Architecture.

SWTOR is a Warcraft clone set in the Star Wars universe.

I am enjoying it, but in the end, that's what it is... and little more.

Comparing them would be like comparing a rare fine wine from Bordeaux to a bottle of Coke.

I could go on and on about how SWTOR is a step backward... a reversion to the linear, restrictive, conventional MMO structure that has dominated the market for the past decade (with rare exceptions like SWG, EVE, and Mortal), but what's the point? I like SWTOR. I think it's the bee's knees... but it ain't no classic SWG.

Edited by Blistrich

This ^

TOR has no soul, it has no community.

Just a bunch of errand boys going to point A to deliver X product to point B.

The crafting and social classes in SWG were a lot more empowered. They ran the show when it came to creating, enhancing, and marketing items. It paid to make friends with them.

I can give a rats backside about the community in TOR, the only person I have loyalty to is the commendation vendor. A bloody NPC has more to offer me then any of you.

That is why TOR is NOT a MMORPG. It is a massive single player game, and a joke one at that.

So true. So true. xD

Gone are the days of having people gaining your favor or playing nice with others who held more influence and sway over a section of the server then you did. :p Liberating as it is, I do miss a community though. =/

Edited by Amaste

Gone are the days of having people gaining your favor or playing nice with others who held more influence and sway over a section of the server then you did.

Negotiating my way through a patrol of marked Imperial players outside the spaceport on Lok. Reaching an agreement with 10 other people on a design for a housing complex. Having meetings to discuss a new member of our small community who wanted to open up a bar next to our HQ, which housed a massive vendor complex. Writing a report on a new Imperial base that was supposed to be secret, and getting paid for providing the report to a Rebel group keen on taking it down. Bartering for a new Graul. Setting up camp and watching the sun set before going Krayt hunting.

Yeah.

If that's the kind of game you want, it no longer exists. EVE comes close, but its developers have really been dropping the ball lately. Mortal does it well, but the graphics are terrible and the community is worse. Other than that, all we have is memories from a time when MMOs could have gone in the right direction.

Boo-hoo. QQ. Oh well. Fugglenuts. I'm not happy about it, but perhaps things will eventually turn around, and we'll see the re-birth of the open-ended system.

Personally I miss SWG and if I was given the chance to go back today I would. SWTOR has some great features, dont get me wrong. But it is missing the social element that made SWG thrive. SWG forced player interaction and forced a community to form where as this game I can troll everyone on the server because unless they are in my guild, I could possibly NEVER need to work with them. Which sucks because that is exactly what is happening on my server lol

I'm really trying to enjoy this game. And i do...but

I got 7 alts to play, and i arrived to a point that i don't know which character to play when i log in, because it feels i have to do the same things again, again and again.....and again.

There is no replayability, i play this game casually because it's just WoW all over again, and i can't stand playing a game that it feels the same game that i played for 5 years.

Keep in mind: with this i don't want to say that i don't like the game.

I find the talent tree very boring too, it's all about "increase this by 3%" or "reduce cooldown by %" .

I want the skill trees from SWG, i want to choose which weapons to use and specialize with it. For example i love double-bladed lightsabers, but why do i have to play a Shadow/Assassin to have it? I want to have it on my Knight!

I'm sorry but SWG pre-CU was the best.

Edited by DeadlyConqueror

Played swg for 7 years, was it perfect? far from it...SOE as far as im concerned is the joke of the mmo world. SWG had a LOT of bugs some there since beta, some game breaking went years without being fixed.

The NGE was crap really and while i dont care if the graphics in a game are top of the line, it deffinately looked outdated. All that said i LOVED star wars galaxies for the fact that I could do what ever I wanted, I loved the mix and match of skill boxes instead of set paths with "expertise" or "advanced" classes that offered a BIT of customisation to your play style.

SWG in its initial phase required a lot of thinking and examining of numbers to be any good at pvp or even pve really if you wanted to solo stuff. The crafting was complex enough to be madening waiting for certain resources to spawn let alone in quality that was even useful. SOE killed it in many different ways, and by the end they were tossing stuff in that we bugged them to do for years that they kept saying was impossible which was also annoying. All in all swg was my first experience with an mmo, everything since just feels watered down and dumbed down.

However I am really enjoying TOR....i HATE the space part of the game im deffinately a TWITCH flyer, and wish they would do something about that. This game is no where close to being like SWG and I didn't think it would be, 3 months into the game and I think they are doing fine. I havnt had any of the problems people are always whining about on EVERY post bioware makes on facebook, but im not surprised bugs exist.

I hope that what is out right now is their version of "start small and build on it once its stable" and they will revamp space and introduce some sort of player "housing" or at least let us have different ships that we can "live" on and decorate and stuff.

In the end my life doesn't revolve around computer games its just something for what little down time i get in between work and the different sports I do. Would like to note though that WOW got really boring really fast, with first month free and the time card i picked up I had 3 months subscription and played 2 weeks of it, second week was forced since i spent about $100 getting set up...after the second week I went back to SWG...Im not on my second month with TOR so it's already beating WOW far as im concerned for me at least.

Played swg for 7 years, was it perfect? far from it...SOE as far as im concerned is the joke of the mmo world. SWG had a LOT of bugs some there since beta, some game breaking went years without being fixed.

The NGE was crap really and while i dont care if the graphics in a game are top of the line, it deffinately looked outdated. All that said i LOVED star wars galaxies for the fact that I could do what ever I wanted, I loved the mix and match of skill boxes instead of set paths with "expertise" or "advanced" classes that offered a BIT of customisation to your play style.

SWG in its initial phase required a lot of thinking and examining of numbers to be any good at pvp or even pve really if you wanted to solo stuff. The crafting was complex enough to be madening waiting for certain resources to spawn let alone in quality that was even useful. SOE killed it in many different ways, and by the end they were tossing stuff in that we bugged them to do for years that they kept saying was impossible which was also annoying. All in all swg was my first experience with an mmo, everything since just feels watered down and dumbed down.

However I am really enjoying TOR....i HATE the space part of the game im deffinately a TWITCH flyer, and wish they would do something about that. This game is no where close to being like SWG and I didn't think it would be, 3 months into the game and I think they are doing fine. I havnt had any of the problems people are always whining about on EVERY post bioware makes on facebook, but im not surprised bugs exist.

I hope that what is out right now is their version of "start small and build on it once its stable" and they will revamp space and introduce some sort of player "housing" or at least let us have different ships that we can "live" on and decorate and stuff.

In the end my life doesn't revolve around computer games its just something for what little down time i get in between work and the different sports I do. Would like to note though that WOW got really boring really fast, with first month free and the time card i picked up I had 3 months subscription and played 2 weeks of it, second week was forced since i spent about $100 getting set up...after the second week I went back to SWG...Im not on my second month with TOR so it's already beating WOW far as im concerned for me at least.

Wait for a while TOR will get very boring very fast. The lack of things to do especially. Aside from repeat FP over and over.

This game is just a WoW clone with lightsabers and voices. It makes you do the same exact thing as WoW

Kill 6 Jedi/Gnomes

Slow the horde/republic advance stop ________

Besides the main story theres not an actual story anywhere else. Its always the same Kill # of these, Loot # of these. Exactly like WoW. Crafting is also a bunch of crap.

I tried to craft in SWG and i was horrible, but it definitely took effort, skill and alot to understand how to be a good crafter. SWG was also more social than any other MMO and that definitely brings more "Star Wars Immersion" then kill # jedi because ____.

umm have you even played any other mmo they are ALL like that, stupid people like you need to learn what the formula for a good mmo is.

Rejoice SWGers, Bioware has announced a feature in 1.2 where you can become the Ship Droid doing all the things you loved to do back in SWG:

• Meal preparation
  • Window cleaning
  • Wall repainting
  • Seat recushioning
  • Toilet cleaning

Because that's the kind of stuff people liked pay monthly for in SWG so rejoice until you realize what day it is today. :tran_grin:

hey im just wondering - ive read some of your posts in this thread - by some i mean 3 - this one and the ones just before and after(i assume i need not read back any further than that as your older posts are are just more biting sarcasm and in-your-face cynicism correct me if im wrong)

while i did take your advice from the last post by utilizing said door - i just happened to peek in on this post again as it interests me, and by the looks of it either interests you, or delights you, or both?

anyway back to me wondering - what exactly is your angle? - ive always argued with ppl like you regarding swg type topics and i thought maybe if i was polite enough you might tell me why you take this stance against ppl who obviously like swg and are just here to voice that?

im not going to go into why i like swg, or preach its supposed awesomeness as i realize the game is over, and like it or not its bound to stay that way until the next extinction level event - but rather i would just like to know what makes you anti swg anti anyone talking about swg types tick?

you know the game is dead - all the ppl who post in theses topics know its dead - they are just reminiscing about what it would be like if say like say perhaps for one second that maybe it wasnt

why does it bother you so much that you feel the need to police these topics with your ever friendly 'use the door' advice - or your riveting but always helpful reminders of what it was like to play the game that made certain ppl enjoy it so much - or when that fails your clever need to point out the painfully obvious fact that you were being sarcastic?

ppl who played swg play this game - most play as sadly its the only real sw license left after swg - some of them like it and think it is superior to swtor - most know that that is simply ridiculous - either way they cannot affect your gameplay by voicing the obvious fact that swtor pales in comparison to swg - you can disagree of course and all the power to you in doing so - but why the need to take on this superior condescending tone of key and tell ppl to leave or to ridicule the old game that they liked to play just as you seem to like to play swtor?

regardless of how far ahead swtor is in technology it will never come close to two aspects of swg - crafting and community - crafting, the type that grownups can do, is obviously not the type that swtor provides - and community, well ill let you answer for swtor on that one k ;)