Having a hard time killing powertechs, anyone got some advice?

Aidank

So, on my server this hasn't really been a problem before, I've only played against a couple of powertechs and none of them were particularly good, but recently there's been a major influx of powertechs, i'm usually finding 2 of them in every wz today.

And on my sentinel I've been having a really tough time doing damage to them, they're one of the few classes that I really know nothing about.

So is there any trick to killing them, or are they just tough to take down as a sentinel.

Oh wow, well I play a powertech. Well it all depends on spec. But if you said they were tough to kill I would assume they are tank spec. Well, only thing I have a hard time about is getting snared. If you minimize their movement it shouldn't be a problem. Since most of their attacks they can use while running around. Tank builds are not meant to be soloed 1v1 unless you are a really great tank killer. Focus fire and snares, really. Edited by SlimeLVLOne

Oh wow, well I play a powertech. Well it all depends on spec. But if you said they were tough to kill I would assume they are tank spec. Well, only thing I have a hard time about is getting snared. If you minimize their movement it shouldn't be a problem. Since most of their attacks they can use while running around. Tank builds are not meant to be soloed 1v1 unless you are a really great tank killer. Focus fire and snares, really.

Honestly, I think they're pyrotech. It seemed like they were doing more damage than a tank would but I don't know any discernible moves to tell the two specs apart.

But I'll try that out, I was being pretty conservative with my snare as I assumed they needed to be in melee to do much.

good post, instead of QQ'ing, he asks for advice Alot of people can learn from him.

Still think we need to nerf sages though.

Edited by Aidank

Honestly, I think they're pyrotech. It seemed like they were doing more damage than a tank would but I don't know any discernible moves to tell the two specs apart.

But I'll try that out, I was being pretty conservative with my snare as I assumed they needed to be in melee to do much.

Still think we need to nerf sages though.

You can discern what type of powertech they are by reading their buff.

Ion Gas Cylinder = Means they are tanky

Combustible Gas Cylinder = Means they are DPS spec

High Energy gas Cylinder = DPS melee/hybrid

THough some Powertechs, like mine tend to go completely hybrid, which makes mine tanky with decent dps power to take down who I need to take down.

Anyways, goodluck.

Snares can be iffy, since all 3 PT specs have ways to get around being pinned to a single spot. Tank specs can jet charge into you and end up snaring you for a moment while they light you up. Advanced prototype gets their cc/snare immunity power and Pyrotech gets a couple of pretty brutal range options with incendiary missile or thermal detonator. Plus the ever popular grapple option for all 3 specs if you're not packing resolve immunity.

Pyro and AP are easier to deal with (pyro's can do some pretty crazy burst dps mind you) if they aren't using Ion gas as part of a hybrid build, that cell is what makes the tank spec so brutal to take down since it gives a massive boost to their armor (and by proxy, their damage resistance). If they're full dps spec, make liberal use of LoS and hit/run tactics as best you can. Tank spec...you might want to bring a friend or two along to help beat through their defenses otherwise they're likely to just outlast you.

Edited by Ticoune

Hi,

I really appreciate you asking instead of calling for unjustified nerfs :)

I am a Vanguard (Republic's Powertech mirror) and I can tell you some of their tools so you can learn the basics of tank/hybrid builds:

1. Most tank spec Vanguards/Powertechs have a charge (gap closer) that is used for fighting casters, escaping when on low health and interrupting heals (my favorite)

2. They have a harpoon/grapple that can pull enemy players to them

3. Their Ion Cell (tank stance) has a change to slow for 2 sec when it procs. The proc is ensured by their main ability (Stockstrike) and by the spam ability (Hammer Shot).

4. Vanguards lack CC abilitties, actually they only have one that stuns you, but it is on a long cooldown. The other CC that many may report for vanguards are talent points to proc a stun when using the following abilities: Harpoon (immobilize for 3 sec - not a stun), Charge (immobilize for 3 sec - not a stun), Stealth Scan (when it reveales enemies it immobilizes for 3 sec - not a stun).

5. Smoke grenade/Oil Slick - this is for melee enemies and it reduces their change to hit bu reducing accuracy by 20%.

6. Shield that reduces all damage by 25%, but usually tanks have this on a 2 min CD

What might go wrong in your case is that maybe he is kiteing you and damaging you in their kill zone which is 4m to 10m (most of their abilities function in this range).

I have managed to kite several melee enemies in wz/world pvp, but much to my disappointment, not so many times because being slowed is very bad for a Vanguard/Powertech.

P.S. Hope I did not miss anything or wrote something from memory.

Stealth Scan (when it reveales enemies it immobilizes for 3 sec - not a stun).

...I never even noticed that perk before for tank spec vanguards/PTs, now I hate stealth scan even more then before :p No wonder I get destroyed so quickly when I get flushed out of stealth, a snared operative is usually a dead operative in short order.

Edited by Ticoune

...I never even noticed that perk before for tank spec vanguards/PTs, now I hate stealth scan even more then before :p No wonder I get destroyed so quickly when I get flushed out of stealth, a snared operative is usually a dead operative in short order.

Yeah, but you have to remember that for this to function 2 things need to happen:

1. The vanguard needs to know or guess that you are there

2. Use the stealth scan before he/she is stunned

The 1st condition can be easily repaired by not behaving like expected; try to outsmart the enemy even if it means to kill him with a 5 sec delay (I know that in PvP 5 sec can be a lot, but still, it's better than nothing)

Another aspect that many other non-tank players miss out is the fact that tank specced classes, with more talent points in the tank tree than in others, usually do not do much damage against equal geared players.

So you as an operative should take that into account, because my encounters with operatives usually end up in me dieing and the operative gets away with 5% HP. My survivability might be high, but all I can do is soak up the damage and peel the HP of the enemy in small chunks.

IMO Powertechs are second in 1 vs. 1 only to sentinels / marauders (though I have nothing to back that up).

I play one and the only class that will beat me 1 on 1 is a good sent / mara.

ofc it depends on spec - and the stance doesn't necessarily show as realistically the options are this:

Combustable - most likely to be pure dps

Ion - could be tank, could be hybrid (Iron Fist & Parakeet builds both use it for example)

High energy - Someone who uses Advanced Prototype in pvp, don't worry too much about them.

If they're hitting you like a truck, they're worth killing.

If they're not hitting you like a truck, they're a tank and don't really do a whole lot of damage. Maybe you're better off killing a squishy dps or healer.

Fastest way to kill a tank? Pull them into fire/acid, or knock them off a bridge like the one in Voidstar.

Naw, Operative is best 1v1 class. Has pretty much everything, heals, damage and stealth. Always kill and never die.

Wrong... I can eat a full Operative burst then take it apart in 4-5 globals, PT Pyro with Ion Gas Cylinder IS the best 1 vs 1 class.

use Pacify whenever it's off cooldown on PT's, keep them snared and interrupted. Guarded by the Force is pretty important for 1vX fights for Sentinels but I'm still learning the right time for it.

If you're in Watchman you should be able to win most 1v1 fights except against Tanks which in my experience is a crap shoot... or against other players who are just more skilled.

Wrong... I can eat a full Operative burst then take it apart in 4-5 globals, PT Pyro with Ion Gas Cylinder IS the best 1 vs 1 class.

And I haven't died 1v1 to a single pesky troopah that's tried to jump my Operative while in Ilum, not one.

Obviously the Operative you're talking about sucked. All he had to do was vanish and run away if he got behind on hp. Operatives have the luxury of resetting fights, something you obviously don't have.

Edited by deltaminus

use Pacify whenever it's off cooldown on PT's, keep them snared and interrupted. Guarded by the Force is pretty important for 1vX fights for Sentinels but I'm still learning the right time for it.

If you're in Watchman you should be able to win most 1v1 fights except against Tanks which in my experience is a crap shoot... or against other players who are just more skilled.

1v1 I'll beat pretty much every other class, bar tank assassins, but I was under the assumption that pacify only works on white attacks? Do pts do a lot of white damage?

I'm guessing this guy was some sort of hybrid, I think he took more damage than a tank, but put out a lot more as well.

U vanish?...a decent powertech will stealth scan himself and find u..

Skill goes both ways

I find on my pure dps pyrotech pt....anyone with burst can put on a really good fight...to many people try to LoS me with all my dots up

When i play shield tech , i find being snared is the killer....i function best when i can stick to the enemy healers or dps with castable attacks

and hybrids....i can't say...they have good damage and decent tankage , go 2v1...and its a lot easier

And I haven't died 1v1 to a single pesky troopah that's tried to jump my Operative while in Ilum, not one.

Obviously the Operative you're talking about sucked. All he had to do was vanish and run away if he got behind on hp. Operatives have the luxury of resetting fights, something you obviously don't have.

It's alright, when going against Ops/Sins, I save my second TD for when they are low on health once I can line up my 2nd/3rd burst. Set up for the busrt, TD, burst, they vanish, look around for a few seconds, TD goes off, takes them out of stealth, clean up.

Though I agree, full pyro in IGC is 2nd best 1v1, Geared Mara/Sents are still top.

Biggest one, I can think off to help you is to play keep away. We can still do sizable damage but if you can mange to keep away from 10m, it's less liekly we will machine rail shot you. Obviously this is harder on a melee class, but the melee class has a good amount of CCs to disrupt our burst cycle. Edited by Greennunu

If you see a powertech throw thermal detonator on you and stop attacking hit your shield before his rail shot.

Bam, all burst gone.

We are so overpowered.

Our bubble takes half of our health though... Can't really just use it all willy-nilly like that.

But my problem was never really with their damage, I'm just having a really hard time doing serious damage to em.

Edited by Aidank

In resume i would say that powertechs are pretty well balanced class in PvP.

they either have good burst potential or good defence and hybrid builds just lack of some of both.

They don't hit like a truck (f.e. +5k hits) but if they're proc lucky (just like assasins, socerers...) can output a really nice amount of damage.

In return for their dps burst potential, they have serious lack of survavility while full dps specced. Hovewer in tank spec they are some of the toughest targets around.

All this make varguard/powertechs an awsome class and one of the best 1vs1 classes. Hovewer this is not a 1vs1 game so it doen't really matter.