Problem with crit crafting orange gear and removing purple mods.

Gidoru

I'd rather they made it possible to craft something that would ADD an argument slot to any orange gear.

Would be much better.

Kinda sad that in 5 minutes of forum discussion, users are coming up with better and more intuitive ideas than the developers.

These guys really do work in a vacuum. They need to be more like Blizzard devs and get more involved with the community paying to play their game.

Maybe if we all chipped in for some blizzcon tickets they can learn from smarter and more experienced developers during the QA sessions?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather they made it possible to craft something that would ADD an argument slot to any orange gear.

Would be much better.

Awesome idea, but I'd say it should work on orange or purple gear. That way if people like the look of purple gear they can use that with the same mods and augment slot as people could get in orange gear.

But it doesn't make it the best gear.

The mods you took from the best gear are what make the orange modded gear the best gear.

Honestly whats the difference in you running a OP's for a purple piece of gear, and running an ops for a purple piece of gear that has the mods you need for the same exact stats?

There really isn't one except the fact that it looks different and has an augment slot.

Raids are still needed you still have to get the mods, and no crafting is actually something that is going to be in full swing because people want that augment slot.

So they basically made it win win.

Crafters win because they can now craft gear that actually means something (augment) and sell them/use them.

And raiders will need to raid for the mod's to put in the gear so its a PVE win as well.

Or did you somehow think that the orange crafted gear magically came with all the slots premodded.... and really have no clue how the system would even work?

TBH this thread is pretty ignorant.

Perhaps because a system in which you aquire a piece of gear, only to immediately cannablize its mods and then proceed to completely disgard said piece of gear so that you can place them into a crafted piece of gear is ridiculously cumbersome and stupid.

Again, why bother giving people gear for PvP or Pve at all if its just going to be discarded the moment you get it? Moreover, this new system is completely counter to the idea of wearing the armor set you like best because only the orange crafted gear will be used unless they add every armor model in the form of crafted orange gear.

Edited by Gidoru

Perhaps because a system in which you aquire a piece of gear, only to immediately cannablize its mods and then proceed to completely disgard said piece of gear so that you can place them into a crafted piece of gear is ridiculously cumbersome and stupid.

Again, why bother giving people gear for PvP or Pve at all if its just going to be discarded the moment you get it? Moreover, this new system is completely counter to the idea of wearing the armor set you like best because only the orange crafted gear will be used unless they add every armor model in the form of crafted orange gear.

You call it cumbersome, I call it freedom in how my toon looks.

You are aware there is quite a variety of Orange gear, right? What seems more contrary to wearing what ya dig: the Tier set that you have to wear cause it's armoring mod/set bonus is locked in, or the Orange options that you can slot the mods/set bonus from the Tier set into? Hmmm, one option v. many options.

This is a great idea, and honestly they should just make bosses drop mods and sell the gear models at vendors. As it is right now, there are only four possible things that each boss could drop, so you could conceivably have every person in a four man group geared through FPs in less than a week, and everyone in an eight man Ops group geared in three or four. On my Sorcerer, I PUGed one or two FPs a day and was geared in four days, and it would have been two if I had run KP to get my Columi saber instead of saving up to buy the Tionese one.

Maybe if we all chipped in for some blizzcon tickets they can learn from smarter and more experienced developers during the QA sessions?

Didn't Blizzcon get cancelled?

How do you know that purple gear isn't gonna go away entirely? We could just end up getting patterns for orange gear and mods from new bosses.

Me and my guild already do this because of how badly itemized the gear is we ran tones of unnecessary HM's just so we could pull mod/enhancements from other gear to make perfect sets.

I had to buy/win 6 smugg hands to pull the power+surge enhancements cause none of the sage gear had it by default its all power/alacrity otherwise known as a waste of a slot for me + I need 5 extra sage pieces for the mod's.

The only real change here is will be able to pull the set bonus and truly customize our gear sets cause idk about you but I cant stand the way my pve/pvp sets look not to mention the tiny little fact that EVERYONE looks exactly the same in the current system. At the very least after this patch there will be some verity in looks among each class.

4)It doesn't make orange BEST, it makes it equal.

This is not correct, since another change to orange will mean you can crit orange gear for an extra mod slot.

Critted orange gear will have room for four mods, where all drop gear only will have room for three mods.

This will enforce that crafted orange is the only choice for max performance gear.

This is not correct, since another change to orange will mean you can crit orange gear for an extra mod slot.

Critted orange gear will have room for four mods, where all drop gear only will have room for three mods.

This will enforce that crafted orange is the only choice for max performance gear.

Yeah but this also has an easy fix if bioware is willing to put in some idk effort coding? All they need to do is add a synth to every craft that will use a piece of gear of its type that will either add or have a chance of adding a Aug slot.

Just like that all gear becomes viable nothing is better then the other.

So? You're complaining about something before understanding how it's going to work. None of us do. They could replace raid purples with raid orange with an augment slot. Until we know, there's not really much to argue about.

I agree with the suggestion to be able to add aug slots to gear.

The number of crafted orange appearances seems rather limited at the current time. People like myself have settled into a set of gear that likely contains many oranges that only come from flashpoint drops or commendation vendors and thus will not have any possible way to get that particular appearance via crafted (let alone one that was a crit).

Expect the cost for orange gear with an aug slot to be astronomically and restrictively high.

We're trading a system that imposes a single appearance as best for one that has a handful when the goal should be complete freedom of choice.

This is just another example of Bioware trying to "reinvent the wheel" in solving a problem the MMO genre already addressed years ago (in this case, separating performance and appearance aspects of gear). The developer who implemented SWG's appearance tab works at Bioware and yet they still choose to go through this convoluted series of hurdles to accomplish the same basic result.

I say this as a major proponent of crafting gameplay, btw.

Make a craftable that adds an aug slot

Synthweaving - adds aug slot to light armor

Cybertech - adds aug slot to medium

Armormech - adds aug slot to heavy

Artificer - adds aug slot to melee weapon

Weapontech - adds aug slot to ranged weapon

Make it require a few grade 6 purple mats, bam, done!

Edited by Syylara

I agree with the suggestion to be able to add aug slots to gear.

The number of crafted orange appearances seems rather limited at the current time. People like myself have settled into a set of gear that likely contains many oranges that only come from flashpoint drops or commendation vendors and thus will not have any possible way to get that particular appearance via crafted (let alone one that was a crit).

Expect the cost for orange gear with an aug slot to be astronomically and restrictively high.

We're trading a system that imposes a single appearance as best for one that has a handful when the goal should be complete freedom of choice.

This is just another example of Bioware trying to "reinvent the wheel" in solving a problem the MMO genre already addressed years ago (in this case, separating performance and appearance aspects of gear). The developer who implemented SWG's appearance tab works at Bioware and yet they still choose to go through this convoluted series of hurdles to accomplish the same basic result.

Until we know that's pure speculation. They stated there are 4 pages worth of notes for crafting alone for 1.2. We could very well be able to craft gear with the same look as low level flashpoint drops. I'm itching to find out the exact details myself, but I'm not gonna cry foul about something that we don't even know how it will work.

This is just another example of Bioware trying to "reinvent the wheel" in solving a problem the MMO genre already addressed years ago (in this case, separating performance and appearance aspects of gear).

As if we needed anymore proof that they know very little about the genre as a whole, and are essentially working under a mindset of game design that is over half a decade old. There is a reason this sad little puppy looks and barks like vanilla WoW. Pity that its owner seems to believe that it's the prettiest pet on the block.

I refuse to use the crap crafted gear. Even if it gimps me, I won't wear it.

The entire point of the orange gear was supposed to be choosing how you look; it was intended to be a replacement for an appearance tab (which is what Bioware should have gone with in the first place).

Now we're just being railroaded from one fixed costume into another. This is no improvement.

Fire whoever is making these decisions, Bioware. It's time for this idiot to taste the harsh reality of unemployment in 2012.

Not if it looks like s*** Goodwill threw away. Go play Republic and tell me how awesome looking gear they have.

Personally, I think the current endgame models are about the worst looking stuff in the entire game.

That said, if what we get is a limited selection of craftable oranges as the best option, that still doesn't impress me.

Every skin in the game should have a craftable orange option, imo.

Personally, I think the current endgame models are about the worst looking stuff in the entire game.

That said, if what we get is a limited selection of craftable oranges as the best option, that still doesn't impress me.

Every skin in the game should have a craftable orange option, imo.

Or allow crafters to add slots to orange gear. Problem solved that way, too.

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)

Combined with new features such as the ability to extract base-mods from purple items (including the set bonus) and the improved color matching feature, crafters of all professions will find themselves in a lot of demand once the update hits

So, correct me if im wrong, but dont these changes essentially make orange crafted gear the best in the game? Why bother with my PvP or PvE gear when i can i just remove all the mods and set bonus, and put them in a piece of orange gear that now also has an augment slot for extra stats? In fact, why bother having PvP or PvE gear at all then? You might as well just give people a set of mods instead of a piece of gear, because EVERYONE that is atleast semi interested in min/maxing will be using orange gear.

I thought the goal was to make Crafting viable and competitive not make it the best gear. If this is indeed the case i find this an extremely stupid change. Quite frankly while i am not one to come to the forums throwing around threats should this indeed be the case i have no intention of renewing my subscription.

you are 100% correct. And the sad thing, if a player truely loves the look of PvE or PvP gear sets they can't really retain that appearance and stay competitive. Now everyone must wear only orange crit gear.

I personally want to see them work on the orange mod gear and give us an appearance tab. There are a lot of great items out there that there is no orange equivalent.

Edited by illgot

Georg Zoeller: Absolutely. With the upcoming Game Update 1.2, we are adding endgame crafting for all professions. This includes augment crafting, the ability to crit-craft custom (orange) gear with augment slots, new endgame schematics, new color crystals, expanded and improved research and reverse engineering and much more (we're up to 4 pages of crew skill related patch notes in 1.2. alone)

Combined with new features such as the ability to extract base-mods from purple items (including the set bonus) and the improved color matching feature, crafters of all professions will find themselves in a lot of demand once the update hits

So, correct me if im wrong, but dont these changes essentially make orange crafted gear the best in the game? Why bother with my PvP or PvE gear when i can i just remove all the mods and set bonus, and put them in a piece of orange gear that now also has an augment slot for extra stats? In fact, why bother having PvP or PvE gear at all then? You might as well just give people a set of mods instead of a piece of gear, because EVERYONE that is atleast semi interested in min/maxing will be using orange gear.

I thought the goal was to make Crafting viable and competitive not make it the best gear. If this is indeed the case i find this an extremely stupid change. Quite frankly while i am not one to come to the forums throwing around threats should this indeed be the case i have no intention of renewing my subscription.

Dude. this is nothing but a great change. Think about it - orange gear lets players modify the way they want to look, but only have the mods YOU can get. If a player wants to use his/her raid gear they can still do that too. On the note of augments, not everyone will be able full sets of that stuff - If I was crafting critted gear that looked awesome you bet there would be a price tag. It will stimulate the economy as well.

There is really no negative, at all from this change. I'm not sure why the OP thinks so.

I'd like for there to be an increasing crit chance on gear crits the longer you go without critting. Something that doesn't have you crafting and vendoring 50 of the same orange item just to get an augment proc.

it won't be 50. it'll be 400

Dude. this is nothing but a great change. Think about it - orange gear lets players modify the way they want to look, but only have the mods YOU can get. If a player wants to use his/her raid gear they can still do that too. On the note of augments, not everyone will be able full sets of that stuff - If I was crafting critted gear that looked awesome you bet there would be a price tag. It will stimulate the economy as well.

There is really no negative, at all from this change. I'm not sure why the OP thinks so.

There is a negative.

Now no one can use the PvP or PvE gear sets if they enjoy their design. Now everyone must use orange crit gear with an augment slot to stay competitive.

Personally I would find no fault with their orange mod system if they added in an appearance tab. Let people wear gear for stats and retain the look they love.

I personally love the look of my Operatives PvP gear. I wear it all time and only switch to my PvE set when I raid with my guild. Once the new orange crit system comes into place I'll now be forced again into a look I really do not care for. None of the orange crafted gear my operative can wear is that appealing to me.

Same for my Bounty Hunter. I love the look of the PvP set, hate the look of the PvE set, and really don't care for the look of any of the orange crafted gear I have seen.

All Bioware did was add another layer to the grinding just so we can stay on par.

Give us an appearance tab already. That way players can make use of all the gear in game instead of just switching focus from one set to another.

Edited by illgot

1) You still need to get the gear to get the mods. Some people may still prefer the look of the gear. Essentially, this just makes it so ALL gear is mod gear. Pick what you like the look of.

Or you mean, pick whatever orange you were lucky to get an Augment crit on.

You cannot ignore a full set of Augment-critted oranges. The stat boost is immense from these slots which, coincidentally, is unavailable to raidgear dropping.

Patch 1.2 will make raid gear obsolete and merely a source of Mods.

... so why aren't bosses just dropping mods instead?

4)It doesn't make orange BEST, it makes it equal.

Wrong, wrong and.... Wrong! Orange will be vastly superior due to Mastercrafts with Augmentation slot.

Patch 1.2 is hilariously bad from a long-term design perspective. However, I'll look forward to the veritable storm of complaints coming in from players of all stripes once they fully realize and experience that they no longer achieve gear or become iconic such as when acquiring Rakata/Battlemaster gear, but instead only farm mods for whatever Orange they were lucky to crit on.

I refuse to use the crap crafted gear. Even if it gimps me, I won't wear it.

The entire point of the orange gear was supposed to be choosing how you look; it was intended to be a replacement for an appearance tab (which is what Bioware should have gone with in the first place).

Now we're just being railroaded from one fixed costume into another. This is no improvement.

Fire whoever is making these decisions, Bioware. It's time for this idiot to taste the harsh reality of unemployment in 2012.

This. So much this.