In the era of WoW client going 64-bit SW:TOR is DirectX 9 based and FPS is crap

vandana_

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI to your title name WoW may be working on a 64 bit client but it still uses DX9 very few MMOS have DX10/11 clients.
it supports dx11. that was added with cataclysm. when used it makes the water reflect everything from characters to buildings. (only thing ive really noticed with it) but it supports dx11.

I get decent frame rates generally. 100 solo out in world. 60+ on fleet after char popins (chug chug).

It's when you get to Ilum where it all goes down hill.

Can anyone tell me what sort of rig can actually display a 40+ v 40+ battle in this game without it being a chunky slide show? Under 40 people, it's does ok. Over that amount, it gets down right awful.

I mean my rig is not the best, but it's pretty good I figure; it can handle 32 v 32 Operation Metro in BF3 on max settings with 60+ FPS. I know, different genre and such, but I expected better from an MMO with crummier graphics ya know?

Edited by fixit

Believe or not, I have the same specs except for the 2GB version of the 560 and I never do either. But of course theres no way whatsoever to prove it to you.
actually. pictures and vids.

example: my proof that my rig (that is more powerful than the one you supposedly have like him) only does 45fps average fps in warzones and 5 to 10fps on ilum ALL LOW SETTINGS AT 720p resolution, all bells and whistles turned off.

regular planets with low populations in the shard i get 110fps. on fleet off peak hours with low population i get this.

click the links and learn how to prove facts on the internet.

This looks like the appropriate post to brag about my new vid card...

I just upgraded my 2 Radeon HD 4890s in CF with 1 Radeon 7970 and it was worth it.

4890s x2 shadows turned off dipped below 30 FPS more often that I would like + the fans were LOUD.

7970 everything Maxed out. (in both Catalyst drivers and in game) even the Tree and grass detail sliders all the way.

In fleet = 112 FPS

In Ilum = 80 FPS but it looks oh so pretty Shadows do look nice too.

Ilum PVP 20v20 approx beatdown... avg 60 FPS never fell below 40 FS....

I loved my dual 4890's and it was a tough call but after seeing the results no way I'm looking back.

Just sayin'

You are a liar. Warzones and Ilum are not bottlenecked by the Video card. Any high end card is plently fast enough to run with max graphics settings. The slowdown in Ilum and Fleet with 250+ in a shard isn't caused by the video card.

Besides, broski - your new ATI card is still slower than the GTX 580.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I can get 110+ in fleet in several areas. However, as soon as I start moving around to where there are people clumped I can get drops below 45fps - everybody does. Me with dual 570's, my father with a 590, and my son with a 580. We all run i7 2600K's or higher and we are all in different states.

110 fps out side

on a heavy server the fleet around gtn and middle drops to 17ish

seems the engine likes wide open spaces indoors not so much.

phenom x6 6950 8gb ram and a shiny ssd that does nothing with this game :p

with that i can run bf3 at 70 fps on max cpu is at 38c max temp so no throttling

550ti fpb evga this isn't a beast rig either.

110 of fleet

90 or more in pvp

and about 80 or more questiing.

and once again, you ijits come out of the woodwork.

"Questing" should have given you 110+, it does even with a very mediocre card... but *you* somehow don't get max fps doing this but all of a sudden you get a 30fps bump in fleet? You get MORE fps in warzones than you do QUESTING? roflmao.

It's people like you that give BW so much disinformation that they will never get around to actually fixing anything.

Edited by Rasstavad

My FPS is always green which means it is my graphics card that is the bottleneck. The funny thing is that it is a GTX 580. Yet I get far from perfect FPS. I mostly get high fps 50+ but it is very unstable and can easily go down into the ~20 range.

I think it is more likely a ****** engine that is the bottleneck. For instance if you open your inventory it will freeze a second regardless of your specs. There are most likely similar issues like that one which is the cause of the unstable fps.

This the game runs like crap, sorry guys.

It doesn't run like crap for me. It obviously doesn't run like crap for a number of players.

Just because it runs like crap on your system it runs like crap ON ALL SYSTEMS?

Troll.

I used to get really low FPS on a powerful system because I had 4gb of ram and it was bottneckking it, I get 4 more gb, and my system plays it more smoothly. MMMos are very Ram intensive, get more ram.

EDIT: I always got 110 fps in the open world, but again never got it with a lot of people around because I never had enough ram to proccess it all out smoothly.

Edited by BOLTgamer

For the love of god, if you want to make a point post a DXDIAG not a shopping cart list with price tags on it..

Yes the game is not optimized, yes it's not ok if high-end systems get anything less than 60fps.

Regarding the case of the op; I have an i5 2500k and a 560ti on a first gen sata drive and I never ever have seen my fps drop bellow 40 (everything on)..

Edited by Silarr

i srsly dont get it...

how can i stay about 50+ all the time (and given my screens refresh rate anything higher than 60 is irrelevant and unnoticable) with 2 old 9800gtx's and an old 2.8 phenom 9500 if its "the game engines fault" ?

stands to reason that if it were the game engine, it would run like dog dung on everyones pc..

i realize you may think i am lying but i am not, its a 2 year old pc, that after upgrading drivers the right way (with driver sweeper on safe mode, google it) and turning off windows aero and some other unneded services , the game smoothed out completely for me...

also, why are people so finicky about FPS?

anything above 50ish you eyes cant even tell , so as long as it doesnt hitch/or turn into a slideshow for me, i dont care if the fps window says 60 or 100 , all i m ever going to see is about 30 anwyays

i srsly dont get it...

how can i stay about 50+ all the time (and given my screens refresh rate anything higher than 60 is irrelevant and unnoticable) with 2 old 9800gtx's and an old 2.8 phenom 9500 if its "the game engines fault" ?

stands to reason that if it were the game engine, it would run like dog dung on everyones pc..

i realize you may think i am lying but i am not, its a 2 year old pc, that after upgrading drivers the right way (with driver sweeper on safe mode, google it) and turning off windows aero and some other unneded services , the game smoothed out completely for me...

anything above 50ish you eyes cant even tell , so as long as it doesnt hitch/or turn into a slideshow for me, i dont care if the fps window says 60 or 100 , all i m ever going to see is about 30 anwyays

You see you get decent fps on an old computer but a relatively new computer has the same: "acceptable" fps while it should be constant 60 minimum. Additionaly, there are fluctuations in fps which are noticeable and annoying.

We are not talking some game that you will play for 2 months and put it on shelf so it doesn't make any difference if it is optimized. We are talking one of the biggest MMOs set to compete with the biggest player on the market that you play a lot and probably want to play in future.

P.S If you want a slideshow - go to Ilum PVP battle.

Edited by vandana_

i srsly dont get it...

People are hung up on FPS because there is a little measure in the corner showing it, on a proffesional system I was writting software for we put a performance bar on the screen, it meant nothing as it wasnt really coded for, but I swear when we made it go red by setting a parameter we would get help desk calls about the system being slow.

It doesn't run like crap for me. It obviously doesn't run like crap for a number of players.

Just because it runs like crap on your system it runs like crap ON ALL SYSTEMS?

Troll.

O your right I'll just go play the much better looking and much better running game Tera i guess. I'm just not cool enough for this one I suppose.

C'mon the engine needs a re-write.

20 fps on a decent computer in Fleet is embarassing in 2012.

And yes I have no malware and yes I have all the newest drivers and DirectX9 updated to the most recent version.

Define "decent". I have a fairly average rig and have no problem running 45-60 fps on fleet. I am by no means saying the engine could not use some tweaks and optimization, but if what you consider to be "decent" barely meets the minimum requirements, it is unfair to lay the blame at Biowares feet.

People keep comparing the playability of this game against single player non internet games, it is a whole different ballgame here.

And why is this game having so a huge problem with FPS and most other MMO does not?

Have you ever tryed Rift? Do you know how it looks like? Even in Rift with everything, and I mean everything, turned to max, I still where running around with 60fps. In cityes and raiding.

How can a "indigame" like Rift make so good an graphic enginge compered to SWToR which is the worlds most expencive game?

i srsly dont get it...

God I love to kill old myths :p

The "cant see more than [insert FPS here]" is false.

Imagine yourself in a very dark room. You have been there for hours and it's totally black. Now light flashes right in front of you. Let's say as bright as the sun. Would you see it, when it's only 1/25th of a second? You surely would. 1/100th of a second? Yes. 1/200th of a second? Yes. Tests with Air force pilots have shown, that they could identify the plane on a flashed picture that was flashed only for 1/220th of a second.

Thing is in television and on monitors we use teqnics that makes it seemingly unnoticeable by "Freezing" frames... But a eye in it'self is able to catch a frame in 1/200 sec if the conditions are set right (Generaly we fetch areas that gets brighter a lot faster than stuff thats fading dark, Might be why we had a uproar about the topic in First Person Shooter games when we started using DirectX 9 and it's flashy Particle effects, as High FPS gave you a clearer view of your surroundings) .

With that said it dosent take a genius to understand why we switched to 100 hz TV's 10 years ago, It would be pretty hard to sell if it was no noticable diffrence what so ever...

Btw: eaven if your monitor only can update 60 hz, thats a Full screen update, you can still benifit from having 100+ fps, as the screen updates line by line down the screen.

Edited by Xtroll

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x

4GB KIT)

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA -

DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |

100MB/sW)

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB

CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

The 20 fps is not constant - it is when there are many people around but I get graphical lags anyway and with the above spec it should be 60fps with vertical sync on.

Operating system Commodore KERNAL/

Commodore BASIC 2.0

GEOS

CPU MOS Technology 6510

@ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)

@ 0.985 MHz (PAL version)

Memory 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM

Graphics VIC-II (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)

Sound SID 6581 (3× Osc, 4× Wave, Filter, ADSR, Ring)

Connectivity 2× CIA 6526 Joystick, Power, Cartridge, RF, A/V, IEEE-488 Floppy/Printer, Digital tape, GPIO/RS-232

And I get over 9000..... :eek:

Define "decent". I have a fairly average rig and have no problem running 45-60 fps on fleet. I am by no means saying the engine could not use some tweaks and optimization, but if what you consider to be "decent" barely meets the minimum requirements, it is unfair to lay the blame at Biowares feet.

I defined it in one of the later posts and it easily meets recommended specs i believe

take a look

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=292106&highlight=horrid

and some of you must stop lying ... really :)

i have an i7 2600K

8Go DDR3 1600Mhz ( corsair )

800W PSU

Asus Sabertooth motherboard

GTX560Ti

64Gb SSD ( system ) and the game installed IN

1To data storage

i have 15 FPS in the Fleet and Warzones

5Fps in ilum

mine's similar, but

16GB DDR3

750w seasonic x, gold rated PSU + 1kVA UPS

120GB SSD,

HD6970 - WC'd

11tb storage.

and yeah, i get surges in FPS as well, it's not pretty.

the occasional surges, which i imagine would cripple lesser machines, i just have time to look around while NPC's react in 10fps glory, while i lose health, the UI then shows dead pvp players, etc.

80% of the time, the loading is alleviated with 4gb allocated to fancycache and 2gb allocated to a ramdisk cache, but planets like belsavis, balmorra, and taris, are pretty chaotic, if i turn the camera a certain way, it chokes to 10-15fps, and other times it's 30+

i kinda believe it's related to things like bloom, particle/shadow rendering and speedtree related engine threading performance, but it's not the only consideration that the game engine makes, and i haven't updated my video drivers in like a month, so that's also suspect.

PvP, is arguable, i get latency surges, combat, sometimes turns silent and FPS drops when spinning around on the fleet ships with ~20 people on board, but other times it's fine with 120-200 people on the station, collecting mail, and driving in circles waiting for companions to craft items, etc.

i don't know what to tweak for my HD6970 GPU, so i've left it alone for a while until AA comes along for ATI users, and things may pick up again when those tweaks arrive in the game, until then, i'll be the healer occasionally kolto cloud/triage healing the recently dead.

Unfortunately, Bioware is using a 3 year old version of the HeroEngine. They split from the engine makers after that and coded the rest themselves.

Personally, I'm curious as to what version some of the other MMO dev companies are using and how that stacks up in terms of performance.