In the era of WoW client going 64-bit SW:TOR is DirectX 9 based and FPS is crap

vandana_

C'mon the engine needs a re-write.

20 fps on a decent computer in Fleet is embarassing in 2012.

And yes I have no malware and yes I have all the newest drivers and DirectX9 updated to the most recent version.

And I won't event get started on Ilum world PvP.

I would like to ask the developer team to tell us whether they can see the problem or they think everything is just fine. Also, are there any plans to write a new engine suited for modern computers and optimized to the last bit? If yes, when would that be done?

Edited by vandana_

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 fps on high-end computer in Fleet is embarassing in 2012.

And yes I have no malware and yes I have all the newest drivers and DirectX9 updated to the most recent version.

If you're getting 20FPS on fleet your HW is not high-end.

My HW is decidedly mid-grade and I get 60FPS on fleet constantly. All settings turned all the way up. Limited to 60FPS because I have v-synch turned on.

Care to post your specs?

If your getting 20fps on 'your' high end pc it is embarrasing, im getting 112 fps on my high end pc so go figure as im not embarased by my machine.

Edited by Shingara

Im sorry but you cant just assume its his hardware. If his computer can run games at a good standard (I know he didnt say) then we have to assume its the game.

My computer is similar, I have good specs (I believe). I can run games like skyrim on ultra and get no problems what so ever, the fan sort of just say's 'meh this is it?' on this I never see more than 40 FPS and with shadows 'on' I never see above 20 fps.

Edited by KiaThas

i have a HP Pavilion elite HPE-112y with only a upgraded n550gtx-ti and corsair 600w PSU and i am getting 60-70 fps on fleet with 150+ people there i don't think my rig is high end but it does good ,for those with FPS issues you may wanna look to see what running in the background that may be slowing you down if your running avg make sure you turn on gaming mode .

Please post your computer specs or even you dxdiaog in a spoiler tag maybe its something someone in the community can look at and help you with

Edited by jamews

switch your shadows off makes a good diffrences and their quite pointless unless you take alot of screenshots

It really does, but we shouldn't have to... if our computers are capable of doing it.

Edited by KiaThas

Im sorry but you cant just assume its his hardware. If his computer can run games at a good standard (I know he didnt say) then we have to assume its the game.

My computer is similar, I have good specs (I believe) and I never see more than 40 FPS and with shadows 'on' I never see above 20.

2.3 Quad Nvidia 8800, Windows 7pro and 8gig of ram. This game SMOKES on my computer. Have 0 lag, no ability delay, no crashes.

What hardware are you running?

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x

4GB KIT)

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA -

DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |

100MB/sW)

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB

CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

The 20 fps is not constant - it is when there are many people around but I get graphical lags anyway and with the above spec it should be 60fps with vertical sync on.

Edited by vandana_

2.3 Quad Nvidia 8800, Windows 7pro and 8gig of ram. This game SMOKES on my computer. Have 0 lag, no ability delay, no crashes.

Window's 7 pro. 6gb of ram, 1.5Gb nVidia GeForce GTM 555M.

Not really much difference in spec. A significant amount of lag in battlegrounds, ability delay clearly there if I just have simple programmes such as chrome open.

Thank-fully had only a few crashes, all when closing down however.

Edited by KiaThas

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x

4GB KIT)

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA -

DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready from 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 -

2 DVI,mHDMI - DX® 11, 3D

120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |

100MB/sW)***SPECIAL*** from 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX,

SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB

CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

The 20 fps is not constant - it is when there are many people around but I get graphical lags anyway and with the above spec it should be 60fps with vertical sync on.

See.. With spec's like these this shouldn't be happening with 2 similar programmes open.

That's not a high-end box, but it should do way better than 20FPS on fleet.

Make sure you're using the second-to-newest driver for the video card (I heard the newest might have some issues in SWTOR but uncertain).

Hit ctrl+shift+f and watch the color of the FPS in the lower left corner when your FPS tanks. This will tell you if the bottleneck is GPU (green) or CPU (red).

Edited by DarthTHC

I get 70 FPS on Fleet so I have to say it is an issue with your system.

May need to try downloading Directx 9.0c

The game is DX9 based, and if you don't have it installed then the game will try emulating it through DX11 (or so I've read here on the boards)

Another tip would be to check your core priority, and make sure you don't have the 2 SWTOR clients running set on "Low", as this will make your client fight (and lose) with background programs over resources.

Edited by Proksham