Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

NOW = 1.7 Million Active Subscribers | 3 Months from now = Guess What

JohnExponent

Subs will drop when GW2 comes out.

how much, I dont know, but I bet SWTOR takes a big hit.

I really don't think so; GW2 just won't be a main MMO for a lot of people it will be that MMO they play on the side; I say that because a lot of people in beta are already talking about how facebookish it feels.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would suspect swtor wont take a big hit from gw2, i think wow will take the big hit on that front.

I think everyone will be suprised when GW2 HITS. Could be very noticable or insignficant but only time will tell. I hope GW2 takes a ton of subs because it will force RIFT, WOW and SWTOR to rethink their gameplan which could lead to better games, content, etc. Just like how everyone was excited when SWTOR launched, before the lack of content began.

No idea about GW2. I just know that it's not my cup of tea. That being said it is my sincerest hope that it triggers the failure of WoW, Rift, TOR, and all the other WoW-Alike games. Might be bad for a while, but it would be good for the industry in the long run. That, and a healthy dose of spite.

Maybe then, development houses will be more inclined to try new things when the "magic formula" becomes toxic.

Edited by Bluerodian

No idea about GW2. I just know that it's not my cup of tea. That being said it is my sincerest hope that it triggers the failure of WoW, Rift, TOR, and all the other WoW-Alike games. Might be bad for a while, but it would be good for the industry in the long run. That, and a healthy dose of spite.

Maybe then, development houses will be more inclined to try new things when the "magic formula" becomes toxic.

Dude that is a very Machiavellian wish; I never want to see anyone who truly enjoys thier MMO to lose it.

it's a big industry plenty of room for everyone.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I have no idea how many players there are at the moment in ToR, but like so many I noticed a decrease in players on my server last month. However last days there seems to be some more activity again,certainly not at the same level as the first months though.

I guess around 600k players in total. The early March numbers are certainly out of date because a lot of players who started during launch with a 60 days pre-paid card like myself, had to buy a new one around the week of the 17th of March. 2 month pre-paid + 30 days free that came with the box. So that must have been a crucial moment.

I have no doubt that D3 en GW2 will have an impact. D3 because it's a long awaited Blizzard game and seems very fun. Well I played it at Gamescon in Cologne and it felt great. Ofcourse it's not an mmo so I'm curious to see how long it will keep people's intrest after the first months and playthroughs.

GW2 will be a scary oponent simply because Arenanet will deliver when they say they will make an MMO like no other that we have seen before. And it's without a monthly fee, which will attract a lot of players, for better or worse.

ToR will not get 12 mil subs and that's not needed to be succesful anyway. However they should have a clear idea where to go with this game and polish it and give people all they can for a monthly sub if they want to keep that business model. Competition will be hard in a few months.

Edited by Gunarson

Dude that is a very Machiavellian wish; I never want to see anyone who truly enjoys thier MMO to lose it.

it's a big industry plenty of room for everyone.

unless companies like ea / bioware or blizzard see significant drops due to people being fed up with their game design and lame stories, nothing will change. more companies will go this path, because they see that people stay regardless of how bland and boring their games are. already the mmo market is a massive clone war. no creativity. no innovation. no future.

unless companies like ea / bioware or blizzard see significant drops due to people being fed up with their game design and lame stories, nothing will change. more companies will go this path, because they see that people stay regardless of how bland and boring their games are. already the mmo market is a massive clone war. no creativity. no innovation. no future.

Definately your opnion there. Some of us enjoy these stories and are not bored at all. Like the guy said, just find a game you enjoy instead.

Definately your opnion there. Some of us enjoy these stories and are not bored at all. Like the guy said, just find a game you enjoy instead.

A lot of people enjoy the game, they just don't enjoy where it and themselves are at! (Which in a lot of cases is "There is more people in Space irl than on the fleet in game!").

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't think so; GW2 just won't be a main MMO for a lot of people it will be that MMO they play on the side; I say that because a lot of people in beta are already talking about how facebookish it feels.

LOL, what a ridiculously made up thing you just said there. It was good for a laugh as most nonsensical jibberish usually is. In any case I'd like to see the 3/4 month numbers, becaues I signed up for a 3 month subs so technically I'm still considered an active subscriber, but I haven't played the game in weeks and already canceled my sub. I don't imagine the subs for this game increasing just yet, if at all. I think it's all riding on the success of the new patch, which I will be checking out since I have some time left in my sub.

I certainlly can't imagine growth in the games current state though.

I've only read the thread title, but here's what I have to say:

Whether you like it or not, SWTOR is the closest thing to WoW in the market now in terms of the 'quality' and style of the game; the most substantive difference is that SWTOR is based off Star Wars. I.e. I feel that SWTOR tried to draw WoW players who were Star Wars fans.

So SWTOR is effectively the only Star Wars based MMO in the market right now, and it will probably be that way for a good number of years; and I doubt they'd have more than 1 SW-based MMO out there, so if a new SW-based MMO comes out it'll probably be at the expense of SWTOR - but this is just a guess. I.e. Many SWTOR players are probably ex-SWG players or just playing this game because it's Star Wars.

Essentially, I feel that the player-base that will be loyal to SWTOR over time would largely be the 1) Star Wars fans and 2) BioWare fans (yes, many players are both).

SWTOR doesn't have that great of a lock-in power - not least because it doesn't take much time to get to 50 - so switching from SWTOR to the next MMO that the non-SW-fan-player finds more interesting wouldn't be that difficult a decision.

Personally, if not for WoW becoming boring SWTOR wouldn't really be that attractive for me. I do enjoy SWTOR but not being that avid a Star Wars fan I haven't really felt an emotional connection with SWTOR. More importantly though, MMOs have left me really jaded; I'm still waiting for something more inspired.

LOL, what a ridiculously made up thing you just said there. It was good for a laugh as most nonsensical jibberish usually is. In any case I'd like to see the 3/4 month numbers, becaues I signed up for a 3 month subs so technically I'm still considered an active subscriber, but I haven't played the game in weeks and already canceled my sub. I don't imagine the subs for this game increasing just yet, if at all. I think it's all riding on the success of the new patch, which I will be checking out since I have some time left in my sub.

I certainlly can't imagine growth in the games current state though.

Yeah hearing the truth is hard for GW2 Zealots but don't worry there is talk of a open trial in late may on the beta forums then you can see for yourself. :rolleyes:

So basically you are saying unless "BioWare makes games the way I want them to" What about people who don't think the stories are lame and likes the way the games are designed? Maybe you should think about not shoving your opinions down everyone else s throats.

I know a lot of people who is staying with TOR because the genuinely like it...why is their opinion less valid than yours?

Of that 1.7 Mil....

500,000 On the Fatman With New Rerolls Everday... (The Fatman is about to have a brain aneurysm)

500,000 On the Swiftsure.... (Why hello queue times!)

700,000 dispersed over the rest of the servers makes for lonely players!

Of that 1.7 Mil....

500,000 On the Fatman With New Rerolls Everday... (The Fatman is about to have a brain aneurysm)

500,000 On the Swiftsure.... (Why hello queue times!)

700,000 dispersed over the rest of the servers makes for lonely players!

I've said it in other threads. Once 1.2 hits and many come back, if only to check it out, the few servers where everyone has rerolled to will explode. It will be hilarious. I'm lucky to be on Bloodworthy that has a stable population. Not very heavy around the clock, mind you, but can get things done just fine at any level.

I've only read the thread title, but here's what I have to say:

Whether you like it or not, SWTOR is the closest thing to WoW in the market now in terms of the 'quality' and style of the game; the most substantive difference is that SWTOR is based off Star Wars. I.e. I feel that SWTOR tried to draw WoW players who were Star Wars fans.

So SWTOR is effectively the only Star Wars based MMO in the market right now, and it will probably be that way for a good number of years; and I doubt they'd have more than 1 SW-based MMO out there, so if a new SW-based MMO comes out it'll probably be at the expense of SWTOR - but this is just a guess. I.e. Many SWTOR players are probably ex-SWG players or just playing this game because it's Star Wars.

Essentially, I feel that the player-base that will be loyal to SWTOR over time would largely be the 1) Star Wars fans and 2) BioWare fans (yes, many players are both).

SWTOR doesn't have that great of a lock-in power - not least because it doesn't take much time to get to 50 - so switching from SWTOR to the next MMO that the non-SW-fan-player finds more interesting wouldn't be that difficult a decision.

Personally, if not for WoW becoming boring SWTOR wouldn't really be that attractive for me. I do enjoy SWTOR but not being that avid a Star Wars fan I haven't really felt an emotional connection with SWTOR. More importantly though, MMOs have left me really jaded; I'm still waiting for something more inspired.

Holy LMAO Batman!! Please do not compare SWTOR(Camaro) to WOW(Benz)

SWTOR is .1 if that of the game WoW is...

Fanboi alert.

You like WoW Soooooo much better go play it. You accomplish nothing by trolling these forums.

Edited by Suriken

Never seen a Benz with bamboo wheels.... But then maybe they are converting the vehicles so the big fat kiddy pandas can get a ride to Kindergarten.

PS Don't tell me you're still hooked into that kiddy stuff are you. Its obvious Blizzard have dumped the game and want serious MMO players to move onto other products. Its aimed at the Asian market now.... I think there are kinda clues in the style of the new Super Mario stylie Nintendoesque bubblegum Pandamonium twaddle. Give me a break.

And as to comparing... Why compare a game like SWToR with stagnant crap like WoW. Been there done that.. and well sick of the thing. Well have been since Catastrophic was released. Complete with snotty noses and silly rockets.. So funny. Well would be if I hadn't invested so much time into something just to get crapped on by Pandas. I mean come'on could Blizzard be any more blunt about sticking their fingers up at their dedicated player base. They couldn't give a crap. They found the kids wanted sweets and so they are laughing all the way to the bank. Just give em sickly silly kiddy stuff to do all day and they will keep banging away for sweets. ... No comparison. Thank goodness.

I'll give an honest answer....

I think they will keep losing subs until they do the following:

1) Add in a fun end game element for PvP, they botched it with Ilum... They need something along the lines of Aion Keep Wars and Dark Age of Camelot castle wars... having static vehicles standing there doing nothing is rather boring... especially since you really can't take anything over.... Heck even Age of Conan Castle wars were more fun then what Bioware is offering.

2) Dynamic repeatable end game content for PvE'ers.... Think something along the lines of Diablo where when you went into a dungeon is was different each time.... They need to add content that changes each time you go in there. Having to do repeatable static daily quests is a huge failure to keep people entertained for more then a few weeks....

3) Add in a companion system where your choices with them actually matter, taking out the consequence system really neutered the game IMO... I bet most of the people who QQ'ed about killing their companions off don't even play the game anymore because they became bored with the game...

Right now NONE of the choices in the game require you to think about which choice you make because there are NO CONSENQUESES to them... The whole story is meaningless if your choices you make mean nothing....

To be honest you might as well just remove the whole response system and just tell a static story, because without consequence the whole reply option thing is just getting in the way of leveling and add's nothing to the game.

The Problem with Developers now a days is they have no guts to try something new... As soon as the boring mmo players catch wind of something new they start QQ'ing about it without giving it a chance and the Dev's freak out and remove it... You have to take chances.... And no, copying other MMO's is not taking a chance, it's a guaranteed path to mediocrity

Edited by Monoth

I'll give an honest answer....

I think they will keep losing subs until they do the following:

1) Add in a fun end game element for PvP, they botched it with Ilum... They need something along the lines of Aion Keep Wars and Dark Age of Camelot castle wars... having static vehicles standing there doing nothing is rather boring... especially since you really can't take anything over.... Heck even Age of Conan Castle wars were more fun then what Bioware is offering.

2) Dynamic repeatable end game content for PvE'ers.... Think something along the lines of Diablo where when you went into a dungeon is was different each time.... They need to add content that changes each time you go in there. Having to do repeatable static daily quests is a huge failure to keep people entertained for more then a few weeks....

3) Add in a companion system where your choices with them actually matter, taking out the consequence system really neutered the game IMO... I bet most of the people who QQ'ed about killing their companions off don't even play the game anymore because they became bored with the game...

Right now NONE of the choices in the game require you to think about which choice you make because there are NO CONSENQUESES to them... The whole story is meaningless if your choices you make mean nothing....

To be honest you might as well just remove the whole response system and just tell a static story, because without consequence the whole reply option thing is just getting in the way of leveling and add's nothing to the game.

The Problem with Developers now a days is they have no guts to try something new... As soon as the boring mmo players catch wind of something new they start QQ'ing about it without giving it a chance and the Dev's freak out and remove it... You have to take chances.... And no, copying other MMO's is not taking a chance, it's a guaranteed path to mediocrity

Really? How many MMO's have you developed? Funny how people think they "know" how to do it, yet it would be like a patient telling his surgeon how to perform the operation when said patient works at taco bell.

No, your baseless assumption is 2.5m. There is nothing that makes it an estimate.

Actualy what makes it an estimate is that it is there estimate, so it still is an estimate and not a baseless assumption, that is the meaning of an estimate as it is a guess and not a fact.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.