SWTOR is too hard for me

swcfrost

Why are so few of these posts mentioning their class and companion? I find the ease of killing those class quest bosses varies greatly on which class you are, which advanced class you picked, and which companion you are trying to us.

For instance, everything was downright easymode all the way through on my vanguard with the healer companion (and armormech so she was pretty well kept up on gear). Most of the time I only had to half pay attention to ability choices. BUT things weren't nearly as simple for my consular. I've still defeated everything so far but have had a few close calls and it's not nearly as forgiving as the vanguard+healer combo. My sage is still in the lower levels so I don't know how that will change in time. My shadow is in the mid 30s and it's seeming to get easier as I level.

Also, be sure to look around the environment for things you can use to your advantage. Sometimes there are things you can use like healing tanks and things to go boom and stun or hurt the class boss.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most difficult chars for me was the sith marauder and my imperial agent sniper (last one only gets a healing companion after a long run in the game so then it becomes "easier")

My sorc and sage was easy compared to those two.

Edited by Kirameki

To the OP: On top of my head - are you keeping your gear repaired? Aside from that only thing that can really cause that much problems as you are describing is if you haven't bought all the skills from your trainer or using like Aim stats for jedi/sith character.

I guess he´s talking about heroic areas. You can´t solo them. Just be social, either spam the chat with LFG <name of heroic quest>.:D and someone will invite you or just look arround for someone already doing the heroic and bother them untill they invite you to the group.:D

Heroics are the funniest thing this game has to offer.

Edited by Ivanblood

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

Let me guess, you are melee? When i was gonna fight thanaton with my assassin i could not beat him, i had to get help. Got another melee to help me and even with two of us it took like 3 tries before we got him.

But when i did fight him with my sorc it was so easy i could have beat him afk, and with sorc i didnt even have to use interupt 1 time.

You are not suppose to use melee in PVE, Huttball or Ilum.

Melee = Nightmare mode

Range = Normal mode

Sorc healer = Easy mode

There was one exactly one boss in the consular story line that I considered too hard - "Stark"... Even after you figure out all his abilities, what to interrupt and what not, it takes you several attempts (with a 20 minute break in between for the "Heroic Moment" ability to recharge) to take him down. All in all I needed two hours, and 100k credits for repairs, restocking of health packs and stims to defeat him. And that's just not fun anymore. Edited by Rabenschwinge

[...]

So, you also have to bring the right companion, which I will resort to and complete it. However, I believe I am good at the game and that the game is made a bit too difficult that it requires such perfect timing, and execution and sequencing with good gear as well.

The game is not for casuals. Since even with a companion it is hard. You also need the right companion to do the hard story missions as well.

I am by comparison casual. Casuals are not people who are not liking a challenge. I like a challenge but I am not a hardcore player. I believe in having a steady challenge keeps you at your toes and prevents you from settling in and getting lulled into complacency and phlegmatic stupor.

AN example:

SW Juggernaut bring a healer

SW Marauder/Sentinel bring a tank

Breaking from this formula of companion will make the game more difficult.

So, yes I agree the game is difficult. And the poeple who are saying it is easy is either becuase they play a lot of games and are also smart that it is easy for them. For example being able to type 200 words per minute is not average. So if you can type 200 words per minute pls do no say the game is easy. You are basically a freak of nature. You are trolling us by saying this game is easy because you can type 200 words per minute.

The game is balanced around having your companions around.

Granted, some bosses were tougher and there is nothing more frustrating than conversation death which is more a fault of encounter design and initial camera positioning rather than problem with bosses themselves. Overall however far from impossible.

Also typing speed has nothing to do with it. I am far from 200 words per minute and by comparison of the average age of the MMO gamers these days old.

Failure in games mostly something to do with a few things which people are missing in their mindsets these days:

- If you fail or die assume it's your own fault. Don't blame others or the game, blame yourself first and only.

- Realize you committed a mistake, were you too arrogant and complacent? Did you underestimate the level of challenge? Did you indulge in laxity? Did you forget to use an ability, did you stand in the proverbial fire?

- Most issues can be fixed by being more spatially aware and being less tunnelvisioned to your bars. Memorize the crucial keys because clicking under stress is less effective than stroking the right key.

- Retry, and stay calm. It's foremostly a game, if things are not beatable your initial way, try another way, analyze, think, strategize, abuse any advantage thrown at you. It's not honourless at all to kite, or to make creative use of your environment, it's there for a reason!

Also it was a good choice to have some sort of death penalty, no death penalty promotes recklessness and some encounters may benefit from that especially if they are not supposed to. You could have an artificial mob boost or...a death penalty. It is still by far the most lenient death penalty I have ever seen in an MMO.

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

Well, to be fair to the OP and give BioWare some useful feedback not consisting of me saying how fabulous I am so the OP should learn from me yada yada I think:

The game is not particularly welcoming to new MMO players. A full generation that could be brought to the MMO market because they are a fan of Star Wars or science fiction.

Putting myself in the shoes of a young player who's never played an MMO before:

1. The tutorial (I don't even remember if there was anything that could be categorized as one) is fairly anemic. In terms of character control, cooldows roles, advantages and disadvantages of this or that, etc etc.

2. Compared with other popular (not microniche) successful MMOs many things are actually not simple. The open world group Heroic missions are actually pretty challenging for pug groups often lacking a tank or healer or more than one CC (or players who have CC abilities but don't even know how they work.) I'd dare say that outside of a guild most people find it easier and more rewarding to simply skip those Heroics.

I'm not saying "dumb down the game or make it easier." I am saying that BioWare, for it's own sake, could do a significantly better job of facilitating the incorporation of new non-gamers as a lifestyle way into SWTOR and MMOs in general.

Hey dont bash on they guy.... While leveling up in my PT I often realized "WOW! I am actually having to strategise, use all of my abilities, AND play with keybinds!" This is not bashing, I understand of instance that in some cases a backpedaler/clicker would of find certain bosses quasi-impossible. End of act 1 as an assassin is one instance. You need to constantly interrupt the boss, avoid stuff in the ground AND do ur normal rotation that in itself is more complex than in most other mmos.

This game really pushed me out of clicking because of the difficulty of most major bosses, but I see many in the community HAVING to ask people around for help, and I don't see this as neccessarily bad :)

Well, to be fair to the OP and give BioWare some useful feedback not consisting of me saying how fabulous I am so the OP should learn from me yada yada I think:

The game is not particularly welcoming to new MMO players. A full generation that could be brought to the MMO market because they are a fan of Star Wars or science fiction.

Putting myself in the shoes of a young player who's never played an MMO before:

1. The tutorial (I don't even remember if there was anything that could be categorized as one) is fairly anemic. In terms of character control, cooldows roles, advantages and disadvantages of this or that, etc etc.

2. Compared with other popular (not microniche) successful MMOs many things are actually not simple. The open world group Heroic missions are actually pretty challenging for pug groups often lacking a tank or healer or more than one CC (or players who have CC abilities but don't even know how they work.) I'd dare say that outside of a guild most people find it easier and more rewarding to simply skip those Heroics.

I'm not saying "dumb down the game or make it easier." I am saying that BioWare, for it's own sake, could do a significantly better job of facilitating the incorporation of new non-gamers as a lifestyle way into SWTOR and MMOs in general.

/agree

I don't agree with the people who say every quest boss is easy, I had some really hard fights with my sith juggernaut. Anyhow, when I played my first toon I didn't realize that there is a special advanced class tab at your trainer. So I leveled until 30 without my advanced class skills.

Thinking I was a moron until I read that other people had the same thing, the advanced class tab doesn't jump straight into your face.

I don't agree with the people who say every quest boss is easy, I had some really hard fights with my sith juggernaut. Anyhow, when I played my first toon I didn't realize that there is a special advanced class tab at your trainer. So I leveled until 30 without my advanced class skills.

Thinking I was a moron until I read that other people had the same thing, the advanced class tab doesn't jump straight into your face.

Did you rush to the fleet before lvl 10 and miss the quest explaining about advanced class?

I've helped quite a few people who did that, get to the fleet fast, rush to Dromund at lvl 6 or 8 and then say theres no quests or its to hard. After we talk I explain about what lvl the AC becomes available and where to get it and they start telling me how easy the game is now.

Thanks to that alone I've got about 6 people added on each chars friends list and use alts to help them through FP when they can't get groups and such.

* Just saw you said adv class tab *

I figure this was a fail reading comprehension on my part, but once I take the AC I want I check out the skills that will be available at each lvl up and look for the class I chose.

Edited by Synalon

Hehe I can see that happening. It was easy noticing the + sign on the trainer icon telling me I had new skills somewhere, though.

Edited by Excidium

From my experience, some of the classes have a really hard time with solo PVE while for others it's really easy. This is partly due to some classes being way harder to play than other but also because some classes have incredibly hard class quests that are still balanced toward the old PVE combat difficulty from beta before it was increased (mainly due to an increase in MOB damage output, which gives any class that can't mitigate or especially heal damage and doesn't have longer crowd control abilties and short range a definite PVE disadvantage when solo). Many of the class quests for Jedi Knight from around level 28 on, for example, are practically impossible to solo for the average player with good equipment at the level they are intended for. And class quests are supposed to be soloable.

Different classes have different problems.

As a sniper I had reasonable CC but limited AoE, and any mob that interrupted me, or worse, knocked me out of cover was a pain to beat. Melee bosses seemed tuned to beat a sniper. Getting a healer companion late in the game was an issue, but once I had him it was very much easier. (Note to Bioware: not all IA's have healing abilities.)

As a DPS SW, I had good interrupts, limited CC, and was weak to ranged. Once I got my DPS inquisitor companion I used her for the rest of the game and just killed quicker than I took damage. I also had biochem, which really helped. When I got to the final two story bosses, that no longer worked, and after reading a few class forum threads I changed companions and tactics and eventually won.

For both of those characters, a lot of fights came down to kill the weaker adds, die, kill the boss.

At the moment I'm leveling a DPS trooper (currently 27), and I'm having more issues than with the other two. Perhaps I'm playing him wrong, or I need to use the healer companion, or perhaps he is just weak. In any case, I will figure it out and continue on.

Hmmm ... I know I had a point before I started rambling. To the OP, and anyone else that is having issues, figure out your classes strengths and weaknesses, compensate with the right companion, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Also, get biochem.

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes, due to gearing/spec/whatever, a story boss can be too tough for the given level. Go do some quests, make sure you're geared up to level, take some stims, and try again at a higher level.

Because of the many combinations of spec, gear, and companions, some bosses will be harder than others. Sometimes, it seems semi-random. For one BH quest (the big one, on Hoth), the penultimate boss I had to defeat kept kicking my *** until I was 2 levels above the quest guidelines, and even then, it was close. Then, the final boss, who in theory should have been tougher than the one before him, went down like a cheap... er... thing that goes down.

Most important thing is to make sure your gear is appropriate for your level, and ideally most of it is blue, and to make sure your COMPANION is geared up. Don't wait for "Mako's Frilly Panties" to show up as a quest reward; keep your primary companion up-to-spec yourself. (High affection with your companion increases their skill, and you can get Presence-boosting stims from Cantina vendors that still allow you to use other stims on your primary abilities. Mmm.... stims.)

I personally find that if you going after bosses that are 2 levels ABOVE you, then you will have some issue if you are not ready for it. (this is my personal discovery)

Here are couple of things (as other have stated) you should do

1. use interrupts on boss when he/she/it using major damage ability. you will know it when you see it the FIRST time (missile barrage is one of them on droids bosses)

2. use your stims/med packs. Don't be too stingy on using insta-heals when needed

3. have your companion out. This happen once in a while when your companion didn't respawn with you for various reason

4. bosses who are 2 levels above you are "technically" 5 levels above you. The ranking is normal, silver, gold, elite/boss. 2 level boss above you would be technically 5. A person can normally take on 3-4 normal and 1 silver, but taking on 3-4 SILVER + 1 gold would be harder (especially if they are 2 level above you) now imagine a boss + adds.

5. You should always do all side mission when doing your normal story quest (unless you already outlevel it) That way you will be even level with the boss when you encounter him/her/it

That is just my personal preference.

All class quests are soloable.

If you cannot solo them, it means you are doing something wrong.

Hate the player, not the game.

Why hate the player?

How about not being a jerk and HELP the player.

Sheesh...

There are a lot of components to a MMO that someone new to the genre would not know to do. The idea of interrupts, the idea of spec'ing, the idea of training skills, the idea of skill sequencing and synergies between certain skills (most classes have this in one way or another). These things, and many more, could be missed by an inexperienced player.

Also, if the boss has friends/allies... kill them first. Even if you die, when you respawn, they'll still be dead, and you can focus fire on the boss. If the quest requires beating 3-4 Strongs instead of an Elite and his pals, again, focus fire on one, using CC if you can to keep the others out of it. Even if you have to achieve victory through resurrection, it's still victory, right?

very much this...ive played most of the empire toons,and never needed help with one of the class story bosses....even champions dont seem to be too tough....your definitley doing something wrong

I also notice that Champion for STORY mission tend to use less abilities than normal champion in FP and Heroics.

The thing is that not all mobs are "tank and spank" which basically charge in, weapon drawns, and beat until win.

Sometimes you have to do a little bit of extra like avoid AoE attack like those little fire orbs that does LOTS of damage if you stand in it. They are elemental so your armor is worthless against it. (note: armor only protects from Energy and kinetic base)

Just wanted to say, I had the same issue on my first character (sniper). I rushed him to 50 as fast as possible so I could raid with my friends who started earlier and I didn't do any Flashpoints or heroic quests because the wait time on finding a group took too long.

I wiped repeatedly on a bunch of the class quests with elites, and even had to pay a guy 10k creds to help on one boss that I couldn't get down. (the level 30ish one in Drumond Kaas) I used medpacs, stims and every cooldown I had, but basically I ended up just dying for lack of heals. I didn't have Dr Lokin yet and the ship robot just sucks. Eventually I got someone 10 levels below me to come heal and got it killed with zero trouble. I managed to solo all the other quests, but died a lot. Eventually it got to where I'd die pretty much every time a sudden mob group spawned after a conversation. I'd kill a couple of em, die, zone back in and kill the rest.

Part of the problem with many of the fights was that the sniper's cc only applies to droids, so any group of humanoids basically means having to tank them all. On the pulls where there was a droid, i could just cc it and the fight was MUCH easier. The other problem was the complete lack of heals. Many, many times, I'd get the boss down to 5% or less and die because he crit when I didn't.

For comparison, I levelled 2 characters to 80 in WoW, and 2 more to 70 and none of them had the same issues with the solo content.

Now i'm levelling a sith juggernaut and it is so much smoother. He just walks into stuff and it all dies. I think it's partly because the juggernaut is in all level appropriate purple gear, partly because he got Malakai Quinn fairly early on, and partly because I'm wildly overlevel since I've been doing every single quest and FP I can. Basically every quest is green for me on the juggernaut and it was all yellow or orange on the sniper.

So yeah, the quests and elites are clearly tuned for people who either overlevel or overgear or both. It's not a game-breaker since you can just level around it, but it feels odd coming from WoW or other MMOs where leveling isn't all that diffcult.

Ah well, it's not that expensive to check the GTN every couple levels for some blues. I usually find some available for less than $500 apiece.

Don't take this in the wrong way OP, but Mash is right. The only time that I needed to be a higher level than the elite I had to kill was when I was playing as a dps sorc having to kill the Major guy on Balmora.

My advice, check out your classes forum, make sure you have been putting points into your skill tree (helps to put most if not all in the same tree), make sure your mod-able armor (if you have it which I recommend getting ASAP), and lastly make sure that your companion's equipment is up to date as well (mod-able armor/weapons with up to date mods). By "up to date" I mean as close to your level as possible.

Also, the weapons and armor you can buy off of the planet commendation vendors are very good.

Oh also, make sure that your armor is the right stats.

Strg Knight/warroir

Cunn Smugg/Agent

Willpwr Consular/Inq

Aim trooper/BH

Edited by DeltaEkotte