SWTOR is too hard for me

swcfrost

I am a level 38 Bounty Hunter. I know what stats I need. I know the kind of gear I need - coming from World of Warcraft where I was pretty experienced, I found SWTOR easy to understand.

My problem is that each planet seems to have increasingly higher levels than I have achieved. I am trying to get through the game without having to group, space battle or pvp (thus no heroics, etc.). Up until now, it has worked out fine but Hoth is a couple of levels above me. I have done every "single person" quest I can find.

I have gotten through most of Hoth but, being a couple of levels below the yellow star elites, is tough. I went back to old planets to hunt for possible missing quests, but found none.

I guess the only thing left to do is grind - I need to grind up a couple of levels, though. I don't know if I want to kill things just to level for hours on end. I wish I could have kept leveling up appropriately with the quests exp awards. I did eventually plan to play with friends but they are very slow to level.

1 question, why the hell are u playing an MMO(Massively Multiplayer Online Game, if you didn't know) if you DONT WANT to group? Totally defeats the purpose of the game being an MMO

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difficulty threshold increases as the game goes on, my first play through was with a sorc where I facerolled everything to level 20, started getting harder to play and when I got to level 30 I quit playing because it was pretty hard and I needed a lot of stuff I didnt have easy access to.

My second character was much easier since I understood the game mechanics better. I had better gear, keybinds, knew what the best way to get xp was, understood all of the gear and mod properties and knew when i needed to upgrade my gear and when. That made the biggest difference, knowing the game better. Even if you're a poor player if you play a few characters you're going to understand how things work and it will be easier to play.

If not, then MMO's probably arent your thing because they're a lot more complex than an FPS.

By your third character you can faceroll everything up to 50 and then it actually gets hard until you get significantly better gear and even then the skill demand is definitely still there, simple mistakes are costly in hard modes and ops unlike early levels where you are way stronger than the filler npc's and as strong if not stronger than the bosses.

I think most people say the game is "easymode" because they are more experienced gamers than others - which actually does count for something. Put SWTOR in front of your wife for a week and see how she manages.

Edited by zerobounds

The only boss that I've had trouble with was a certain one at the end of chapter one for the inquisitor. After I switched things around, upgraded my companion's gear, and learned which of the bosses abilities I needed to interrupt I had no trouble taking them down.

Only thing I can suggest is to try different strategies before giving up. You might just learn something that will improve your overall game play, not just for taking down the boss.

Hmm it's hard to say what the OP's problem really is or offer meaningful tips since he seems to have abandoned his thread without providing much feedback. :D

I see lots of pages of people providing helpful tips, their own experiences, etc but no feedback from the OP... interesting. :confused: If you are serious about improving your gameplay OP - start posting feedback - ignore the l2P rude crowd and help the forum to help you.

We don't know what your problem is unless you provide more info.

It may be that you and/ your companion aren't geared correctly. It may lack of knowledge of mechanics. It may be X other things but we won't know and you won't be able to get help unless you post feedback.

One of my guildmates asked me for help with her consular a few weeks ago. She said she needed help with her skill tree. So I spent some time discussing her skill tree but didn't seem like there was much wrong.

On further discussion I asked her OK what's the problem you're trying to solve?

She said she was running into problems killing mobs.

So then upon further discussion we discovered that she was stacking aim, strength and endurance on her Qyzen - who is actually an aim companion. Strength does nothing for him.

Each companion only uses one main attribute, endurance being necessary for his HPs and health regen.

The way you prove that is by looking at the description of one of his skills and how much damage he does, remove an armor piece or item from Qyzen that has strength and you notice that his damage hasn't changed or changed minimally. Remove or add an aim item that has aim and you see that it actually affects his skills quite drastically.

Once my guildmate was able to gear her companion correctly she was able to defeat mobs.

Was on vacation when this got posted, so bumping it.

I wrote a very handy guide just for folks having trouble like this; try the link in my sig. There are also lots of good guides (including mine) linked in the sticky threads in the 'new player help' forum.

The forum for your class usually also has guides and advice about how best to use your particular class/advanced class in combat.

Some of the class quest bosses are tricky, or will require you to actually play smart if you're equal-level or below. But they're all beatable solo with reasonable gear at equal level. (The JK Sand Demon on Tattooine probably gave me the most trouble. It's straightforward but just a tough mofo, and you don't have a healing companion at that point.)

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

I solo 99.5% of the time and I really don't have that much trouble with bosses. As long as I am at or one level above the boss I kick ***. You are doing something wrong.

I really don't see how this could be an issue with any Empire tank spec (have not played Republic yet) as I easily beat down a class quest boss at level 29 that required level 32 on my bounty hunter.

The Jedi pair on the Aurora, take on a couple Trauma medpacks, interrupt him, spam Quell, and keep an at-level Endurance stim.

With the same Bounty Hunter, I was able to solo the two Heroic missions on Hutta at level as well... I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here. I definitely am not a "srs gamer lol" as someone earlier implied one has to be to progress easily; but with the exception of Mako dropping the ball on healing, I've never had a problem on either my Powertech or Mercenary.

I see some clueless kids trolling the OP.

Anyways yes some classes have way harder bosses then other classes like the Jedi Knight blood demon on tatooine.And some classes who are heal/dps and have a tank companion that can take agroo have a much easier fight always then lets say a class thats pure dps.

And becayse companion healing is so bad they will not help that much midd lvl.

And a class that JK who dont get healer until later in the game those fights can be really hard.So always be a couple of lvl above the enemy.

Not everyone is born 733t-killers so show the OP some respect.

My suggestion is that you take a look at your spec and your gear and see how you can improve there. also important to match your spec with your companion. If for example you are tank specced then use a healing (or DPS) companion if you are DPS use a tank (or heal) companion and if you are heal specced use a DPS (or tank) companion.

This^;)

I really don't see how this could be an issue with any Empire tank spec (have not played Republic yet)...

...with the exception of Mako dropping the ball on healing, I've never had a problem on either my Powertech or Mercenary.

Bounty Hunters get a healing companion very early on compared to most classes. This helps a LOT against tougher bosses. Heavy armor and good AOE DPS doesn't hurt either...

When it comes to certain aspects of the game there's a huge disparity in the classes. The secret is matching your play style with the best class for you.

Simple case in point - compare getting your first companion, Khem as a Inquisitor vs Corso on your Smuggler. :p

The Inquisitor was my first so it was quite the eye opener. Epic battle for your first companion. The smuggler I just started a couple days ago and did a :eek: because I was just handed Corso without any drama. It was so easy I thought they were going to take him back and were just teasing me.

So yeah there are some differences.

up until now, the game ave been medium hard for me. but when i got to alderaan, i got a class quest to fight for one of the houses...

this quest was way too hard for me... as there are wave after wave after wave with mobs and i can only use my heal stim once every 2 min i think it is... i completed all other quests on on alderaan and still too hard...

asking for help on this server is a bit of a drag as the peak of current players on alderaan are like 3-4 at any given time..... was hoping that did not have to grind in this game but that seems to be the only way to gain more levels in order to continue as there are simply no more missions for me on alderaan...

Bounty Hunters get a healing companion very early on compared to most classes. This helps a LOT against tougher bosses. Heavy armor and good AOE DPS doesn't hurt either...

While I will agree that we get two healing companions fairly early on (2V-R8 can heal as well), if you have latency issues or forget to check if Med Watch is on (it tends to reset frequently enough to get you killed, but not time you change zones) Mako will drop the ball and not bother to heal you until you're down to about 15% HP, at which point you tend to die--with or without stims and medpacks.

Our AoE DPS doesn't really do diddy when it takes a minute for the CD to refresh, can be interrupted by a mob breathing in our direction, and most boss mobs resist the stun effect from it. Flamethrower is more of an aggro-hold, IMO, as it doesn't do as much damage as it does keep mobs on hold when your DPS party members are a little overzealous.

Make sure your rotation is good too... after changing around what I was doing, I never overheat (run out of Force/Resources/etc for non BH toons), deal a decent amount of DPS for a tank spec, and survive a little better than before.

The beauty of TOR compared to other MMO's such as WoW is that there are actually more ways of doing things than Thottbot's list of specs--if you find something that works, it's probably as effective as the other guy's.

That, and lightsabers.

All digression aside, I had no trouble on my agent or marauder either through about level 20 class quests; the toon I rolled to group with my guild leader (a sorcerer) is being left out of this because he is irrelevant--I have help.

Update: Whelp, just made a liar out of myself with the newest class boss. Only 2 levels behind, and consistently 1,000-2,000 (out of 33,000-ish) hitpoints left when he turns me into canned tuna.

Edited by HoodedWraith

As a BH mirror, I can tell you this- there's a few things to check.

1) Did the bonus series after each planet's storyline? People miss that, quite often.

2) Tried the Heroic 2's? You can often pull these off solo as a BH, although they're tough. 2+ or 4's, probably not until they go grey on you.

3) Been doing the bonus parts to missions? Those "kill X" bonuses are often a hefty chunk of exp, including the frequent unique you have to take down at the end of such series.

4) (A big one) Checked for/hunted "bonus mobs"? There's a lot of big, bad types that are tucked into odd corners as you run back and forth for missions. You can skip them, but if you're soloing- it's gobs of exp that you end up wasting, and in the process you fall increasingly behind. That a lot of these are good chances for blue/orange gear (and always drop at least a green for the trouble) makes it even worse. The biggest are often boss+ level types and are REALLY fun solo challenges...and if they're too tough, they're optional and you can leave em be.

Thanks - very good advice. I am taking great care with my other toons - to leave them in cantinas as much as possible for the double exp.

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

Some class quest bosses are a little strong for solo but they can all be killed by yourself.

Heroic 2 quests means you should have at least one person to help you

Heroic 4 means try to have 3 people to help you

Flashpoints tend to be made for 4 players, but some like the black talon and the esseles can be done with a duo of players and their companions.

If you're having issues with normal quest's bosses, then you might want to ask for help to improve your skill tree spec, or research how to use better rotations (the order in which you use skills, to maximize damage output).

I haven't read all the replies yet so I apologise if I am wrong, but there seems to be a basic thing that no one has mentioned yet. Repairing your gear. They do degrade. Any vendor can repair it all too. A couple times I totally forgot to repair them and died so easily. Then I went to the vendor to pick up some medpacs and repaired. Then I had no issue.

I'd like to point out these were bosses I didn't know were coming so I hadn't levelled up enough. I was a level below and couldn't kill without the repaired gear.

I haven't read all the replies yet so I apologise if I am wrong, but there seems to be a basic thing that no one has mentioned yet. Repairing your gear. They do degrade. Any vendor can repair it all too. A couple times I totally forgot to repair them and died so easily. Then I went to the vendor to pick up some medpacs and repaired. Then I had no issue.

I'd like to point out these were bosses I didn't know were coming so I hadn't levelled up enough. I was a level below and couldn't kill without the repaired gear.

that is so true! did not know about this when i first started to play :rolleyes:

ah and my last post where i state that it was too hard.... not true... i found out that there were allot of quests left for me on tatooine that gained me like 3 more levels. then alderaan was back to medium hard.

i guess game is not rely hard... u just have to make sure u do it right :o

Edited by crazyplaya

I usually don't have a problem soloing bosses. When I do run into a boss that's hard..I either wait until my character is the same level as the boss..or I stock up on health backs and might stims..and that helps me to defeat them. Repairing your gear is improtant too. If you go into a boss battle with damanged gear then your most likely going to die. You can repair your gear at any vendor. Edited by Sneakycheeks

I have only found one hard boss so far soloing as a guardian and now i am lvl 50 and the boss was a few planets back .....the problem was that the boss called three or four groups and i had a rough time keeping up with them....died a few times .....but once i figured out the pattern and the right companion it wasn't that bad.

Now Ive heard from some people that they know quite a few players that can't solo the game alone and im baffled by this statement.

If you cant beat this game than you might wanna re-evaluate things......not even with this game. Just re-evaluate things in general. Go outside....have a beer.....or some kool-aid.....

you might wanna take a break....a long break....lol

P.S I like Cheese....

Repairing gear is something I do on reflex.

Every medical droid I see to sell off stuff? "Repair All", please.

Even if you don't end up getting defeated, gear will wear down from you taking a pounding. Mend it whenever you can and it'll give you more chances if you hit a rough patch- or heck, if you get defeated, go to a medcenter instead of reviving on the spot, repair immediately, get back in it.