Face it, Augment Slots Won't Work. Augments Need to be Usable on All Gear.

genesiser

Torhead pulls those pieces from info stored in the program files. They may or may not be available in game at this point. I will go look at Torhead but I am wondering, are you certain just because they are orange that they are craftable?

I found them under armormech schematics so I am assuming they are craftable.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, I did it quick so where it said "mercenary" and then "mercenary elite" right after, I assumed they were 5 sets.

So you are correct no 5 piece sets exist.

And many sets have specific basic class requirements.

Which really pisses me off, because I'd love to get some republic trooper armor on my juggernaut.

Anyway, OP is QQing about solo-oriented progression that also enhances the value of crafting. It's senseless QQ, like dedicated solo players QQing about raids.

Hopefully that's the thread.

Actually a mod system was probably easier to code than a "transmogrify" system as WoW has, and a dye system can actually be hard to make work as that requires actually modifying all the armor skins to work with dyes so that they don't terrible when dyes are applied to them. A transmogrify system requires also redoing the data-base to include a link to what item's skin is being used instead and ensure that they are compatible. I honestly think that it's a lot more work and complicated than a mod system.

I don't disagree that it couldn't be done, just that expecting something like that to be in the game when it goes live or shortly thereafter is unrealistic at best. I wouldn't expect that to be in the game at least for, probably, a year.

its actually very easy i think , but i admit i have limited understanding of how their engine works and displays textures

but an overly simplified theory is, that they could just code it so that once you "tag" a certain piece of gear, the draw call for its texture would be made from that piece of gear to display on your character

i admit though, its overly simplified and getting it to display changes on your toon to other players might be more complicated, i dont know enough about the game/engine to actually say if this is actually possible without massive coding and programming

Every damn piece of armor/weapon in this game needs to be orange, even the crap gear. The only problem is how to keep mission rewards viable since anything without an aug slot would be worthless.

I dunno, maybe allow crafters to RE/upload mission rewards to schematics so they have a chance to add an aug slot? You dont really need aug slots while leveling anyways, well we havnt needed them yet since pve (i dont pvp much) is very solo friendly as it is.

Sorry, it was deemed to confusing for people to let it be that way. It used to in beta, all the crying and moaning and hate we threw at bioware for changing it got ignored. "It's just temporary guys!" "Itemization is hard to keep at high levels of polish from build to build!"

haha hah.. hah... yeah, I miss how everything used to have mod slots =/

its actually very easy i think , but i admit i have limited understanding of how their engine works and displays textures

but an overly simplified theory is, that they could just code it so that once you "tag" a certain piece of gear, the draw call for its texture would be made from that piece of gear to display on your character

i admit though, its overly simplified and getting it to display changes on your toon to other players might be more complicated, i dont know enough about the game/engine to actually say if this is actually possible without massive coding and programming

all the items in the game have mods in them. they are simply locked when they dont show. you can do the math even and see the totals add up from the different armoring/mod/enhancement combos.

And many sets have specific basic class requirements.

Which really pisses me off, because I'd love to get some republic trooper armor on my juggernaut.

Anyway, OP is QQing about solo-oriented progression that also enhances the value of crafting. It's senseless QQ, like dedicated solo players QQing about raids.

Hopefully that's the thread.

You confuse me.

How is saying raid or pvp gear will be inferior to low level crit crafted because of lack of augment slot equate to complaining about solo oriented progression? If anything what the OP is saying would make it better for ALL players, soloers or raid/pvp players because they'll have the freedom to wear whatever piece of gear they want because all gear will have the same potential.

When I read it this is what I get out of it. "People want freedom to look however they want. The system currently does not allow that because certain crit crafted gear will be superior to every piece of gear without an augment slot. Flashpoint gear, pvp gear, operation gear, planet token gear, all of it will be inferior so they won't have that freedom they talk about wanting. Let people put augments on any piece of gear so they actually have that total freedom they want."

I agree with him. The only thing 1.2 will do is just make any crit crafted gear best in slot. I like how my rakata gear looks, but now I won't be able to wear it anymore because I like having the best stats I can get and without an augment slot, it will be weaker.

So what do you guys want? Total freedom to look how you want which is the intended design? Or do you want crafted gear to be best in slot and all non augment slot armor worthless so now everyone will just be wearing some form of crafted gear?

Make up your minds.

I say they put a Datacron in the game that you can open up and insert a piece of armor and like 3 of something somewhat costly and rare but otherwise totally useless -- lets say Artifice power crystals. You click the combine button and viola! Socketed Armor.

If they just do the same token drop as they do now, then they can just add extra items to the vendors. Lets take eliminator columni gloves for example. The Token can buy either.

(1) Eliminator gloves themselves if you like the look.

(2) Eliminator gloves mod kit.

Maybe do the same thing with the Commendations as well.

The only problem that I see is the Min Maxing issues. All Mods and Armoring are not created the same. For example the chest piece armor stats are much better than the glove armor stats.

If they only assign set bonuses base upon the actual armor piece, then that will take care of that issue. The set must contain glove armor, chest Armor, Grieves Armor, Helmet Armor. If you dont have those 4 armor types items in your set, then you wont get the set bonus.

I hope they don't over look that little bit. Guess we will see.

As far as making the lowest level oranges and putting the best mods in it issue. The only thing I can think of would be make the Orange Armor itself come with some sort of bonus. Lets take level 30 orange crafted Synthweaving 200 item for a force user as an example. Maybe the force power bonus for that item will only be lets say 10% for a synthweaving 200 crafted orange. If you have a level 400 Synthweaving Orange level 50 Crafted item you get a 30% bonus to your Force power.

Give some sort of incentive to purchase the top level orange gear.

Otherwise this change will only hurt our armor crafters.

Anyways any change so I don't have to wear my ugly tier chest piece on my Bounty Hunter will be greatly appreciated. The back sticks make them look silly.

Cheers :)

I really like the design of the Centurion/Champion/Battlemaster armors the most, just wish the textures on them weren't so muddy (on high settings). I'm really looking forward to when BioWare adds a hood toggle because it will make like 95% of the orange Jedi armor so much more appealing to me. Especially the Supreme Vanquisher and Jedi Battlelord sets! :D Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

What you just listed is work but really it will give armormechs viable items to sell.

With all the creds I have at 50, I am not going to make an alt just to crit orange gear. I will buy it.

This game needs more crafts that can sell their products.

not really I can pwr level armor tech to 100 in a matter of minutes, buy mats off the GTN in the same timeframe. Then be back to 400 bio by the end of the day/week (depending on freq of armor crits). The only "work" involved is getting the crits, and thats merely an exercise in repetition

Edited by BMBender

You confuse me.

How is saying raid or pvp gear will be inferior to low level crit crafted because of lack of augment slot equate to complaining about solo oriented progression? If anything what the OP is saying would make it better for ALL players, soloers or raid/pvp players because they'll have the freedom to wear whatever piece of gear they want because all gear will have the same potential.

When I read it this is what I get out of it. "People want freedom to look however they want. The system currently does not allow that because certain crit crafted gear will be superior to every piece of gear without an augment slot. Flashpoint gear, pvp gear, operation gear, planet token gear, all of it will be inferior so they won't have that freedom they talk about wanting. Let people put augments on any piece of gear so they actually have that total freedom they want."

I agree with him. The only thing 1.2 will do is just make any crit crafted gear best in slot. I like how my rakata gear looks, but now I won't be able to wear it anymore because I like having the best stats I can get and without an augment slot, it will be weaker.

So what do you guys want? Total freedom to look how you want which is the intended design? Or do you want crafted gear to be best in slot and all non augment slot armor worthless so now everyone will just be wearing some form of crafted gear?

Make up your minds.

A thought here to fix this issue would be to assign a block to Crit Orange gear. If you put a Tier Armor, Mod, Enhancement into orange gear, it shuts off the Augment Slot. Viola everyone back on the same field of play. That way it can be a purely ascetic change and not a whole game changing change.

Their effort to diversify character appearance will backfire in a huge and predictable way.

That would only be true if there were no new orange items added into the various crafting professions.

If they add in more orange schematics then the system will in fact work as intended. Adding in more of those should be relatively simple, since the model already exists.

Yup, the only items anyone will wear will be orange gear with augment slots. Their effort to diversify character appearance will backfire in a huge and predictable way.

Because there is only one set for each armor type on each side, and everyone cares about having augment slots at all times, right?

That would only be true if there were no new orange items added into the various crafting professions.

If they add in more orange schematics then the system will in fact work as intended. Adding in more of those should be relatively simple, since the model already exists.

Thus rendering all planet commendation gear, flash point gear, pvp gear, heroic quest gear, and operation gear obsolete because they lack augment slots. Ya, that's a really great system. They might as well just delete that gear and sell the mods from vendors. Yep, great system.

Or an easier, less frustrating solution would just allow augments to be put on every piece of gear regardless of if it has an augment slot or not.

Augments are nothing more than enchants in other games. Why not treat them as such?

I agree with this. Ever since I heard that they're going to add augment slots to orange items, I've been concerned, and not because I'm a hardcore raider (I'm not), but merely because it's basically going to compel crafters to throw away item after item until finally critting one. If moddable items can have augment slots, then buyers are going to demand they have augment slots. And I just don't see how crafting these will be remotely profitable at that point unless the prices get driven way up, which will then put them out of reach of people who don't have level 50 characters.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

Thus rendering all planet commendation gear, flash point gear, pvp gear, heroic quest gear, and operation gear obsolete because they lack augment slots.

Op gear will not be obsolete, because you'll need it for the mods. The fact that people won't wear it simply isn't an issue IMO because the only value for Op gear is the stats right?

PvP gear will still be useful because you need expertise.

The rest of it, com gear, FP gear, heroics, ect... are all replaced by end game gear now, so those items won't change in the least. As it is right now either you'll wear them because you like them and don't care about stats. Or you'll replace them because of the stats.

Which is exactly how things will work after the 1.2 patch.

So yeah really rotten system here. Let people actually look how they want... how dare they!!!??!!?!

Back in DAoC, 100% Quality crafted gear was rare, but it allowed more Spellcrafting "points" to be spent on it (stronger stats/enchants). It didn't make, say, 97% Quality gear obsolete, because 100% Quality gear was so rare. In addition, Spellcrafters could "overcharge" the piece of gear (spend more points than allotted) with a relatively low chance of success and high chance of the piece exploding, destroying it and killing the Spellcrafter. Again, it did not make non-overcharged gear obsolete.

A dev said in the past that every piece of armour would be available as an orange item. Thus far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't have my hopes up.

Op gear will not be obsolete, because you'll need it for the mods. The fact that people won't wear it simply isn't an issue IMO because the only value for Op gear is the stats right?

PvP gear will still be useful because you need expertise.

The rest of it, com gear, FP gear, heroics, ect... are all replaced by end game gear now, so those items won't change in the least. As it is right now either you'll wear them because you like them and don't care about stats. Or you'll replace them because of the stats.

Which is exactly how things will work after the 1.2 patch.

So yeah really rotten system here. Let people actually look how they want... how dare they!!!??!!?!

I think what was meant by calling it obsolete is nobody will wear the actual gear because it lacks an augment slot. Yes, you'll be able to rip out the mods. But the point of the system is to allow people to look how they want. However with crafted gear being the only augmented gear, people won't be able to use whatever they want because every other piece of gear will inferior to that piece of augmented orange piece.

The difference between 1.2 and current is right now you are pretty much forced to used the piece of gear that you get from raiding or pvp. You can't use orange gear because the stats are inferior because right now you can't get raid quality mods. In 1.2 you can technically wear whatever piece of orange gear you want. The problem is with there being orange gear with an augment slot, that piece of gear is now best in slot so people are going to be forced to wear that if they want the best stats. In other words, currently if you want the best stats you have to wear a piece of raid or pvp gear. In 1.2 if you want the best stats you will be forced to wear a critted orange crafted gear. Either way, people don't get to wear what they want if they are looking to get the most stats out of their gear.

Back in DAoC, 100% Quality crafted gear was rare, but it allowed more Spellcrafting "points" to be spent on it (stronger stats/enchants). It didn't make, say, 97% Quality gear obsolete, because 100% Quality gear was so rare. In addition, Spellcrafters could "overcharge" the piece of gear (spend more points than allotted) with a relatively low chance of success and high chance of the piece exploding, destroying it and killing the Spellcrafter. Again, it did not make non-overcharged gear obsolete.

Lol wait till a raider(who I promise are going to eek out max performance) in a free moment runnning a HM FP pug. People QQ when they don't get in groups due to having lower Hp, green gear, whatever. Now you can add sorry mate your gear's not auged out enough /kick.

Your naive if you think it won't happen when you consider the stat varience of 5 reg orange with vs a set with 5+augs =an extra 140 in core stats(5x28)thats the equiv of rakata stim btw. And we all remember how butthurt people got over those don't we.

Edited by BMBender

As a 400 Armortech, I'm sorta excited that I'd be able to make some money on a crit. That'd be neat. But I gotta agree with the OP.

I'd rather see all the gear that comes from raid/pvp sets have the Augment Slots in them. Personally, I like the look of the trooper/smuggler pvp gear. I'd hate to be pigeonholed into wearing some random orange armor that doesn't match, or fit my aesthetic prefrences, just because it has an augment slot.

I vote for +augment slots to pvp/raid gear!

I don't think they should make every pvp/raid gear drop with augment slots - only a small percentage chance of some dropping with the augment slot so it matches the rarity of the likelihood of getting one through crafting. Since you need to crit when crafting an item to get a augment slot.

Someone else mentioned this idea before. Here's their post. Don't want to take credit for the idea...

Or for people that like the end game gear, they simply add a percentage chance for it to "drop" with an augment slot.

I think this would work out best for all... not every time but on chance, a fairly small chance. It's only fair that it should take some work to get a piece of gear with an augment slot from a drop. Otherwise why would anyone use orange if every PVP/Raid tier gear had it already, no point to take the mods out and waste the credits on moving them to orange gear besides changing looks.

Part of the reason they are doing this is to make it so Synthweaves and Armormechs can have a market to sell their orange gear w/ augment slots on the GTN. If all PVP/Raid gear had augments in them the only reason people would buy the aug.slotted orange gear would be for looks. So in other words they wouldn't. (The majority wouldn't anyways.) If it was rare for PVP/Raid gear to drop with augment slots then most would still buy the orange gear, at least until they could get the specific piece of augmented PVP/Raid gear that they wanted to drop.

Of course there is other ways to go about making it so we can still wear the PVP/Raid gear w/ augments.

Like this person suggests...

Then you'll have to do without augment slots, or hope they put in a recipe for an orange version of said pvp set at some point.

Basically making more schematics for whatever crewskill that get's schematics (Treasure Hunting?) to sell and at the same time more craftable items for Synthweaves and Armormechs to make that are sellable.

That or like others have already suggested...

Give each armor profession the ability to add an augment slot (Like a belt buckle)

This will make them viable and fix the probblem of folks likeing the way their epics look.

They could add something to Armormech / Synthweaving or even to Cybertech that crafts an augment socket which can be attached to any gear. Make them a high level hard to make recipe so that crits are still a viable option. This would allow you to use your epics if you like the look and still want to min/max.

Perhaps they can add a new skill to Armormech or Cybertech, that will allow the creation of consumables that add an Augment slot. Put it at the 400 skill tier, and require level appropriate materials to create the item.

It's an idea, at least.

I like this idea but it better be Cybertech that can make this said item. They need to give them something to sell too.

The more crewskills they can make relevant the better I say. The game needs to give each craft the ability to sell their products. Supply and Demand.

Edited by xCipher