Legacy Name Change Confirmed?

Egees

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm losing faith by the day. Apparently BW will cave to anyone who whines loud enough.

Isn’t that what other MMO games do, may take a bit longer but whichever group whines the most means the other group gets nerfed, in this case it is a legacy name (which everyone knew is character wide and permanent gets changed, didn’t BW say they were listening to their subscribers and try to accommodate their wishes.

P.S, I haven’t chosen a legacy name yet because it needs to be a suitable one. :csw_trooper:

We're definitely working on this (it's a much requested feature) but we have not made any statements regarding when this will be available.

Glad to hear that. There is a confirmation-box in place now, but it wasn't when I set mine. I, of course, made the mistake of misspelling it.

Not gamebreaking in any form or way, and it is completely my fault, but it's annoying to say the least.

I sure hope so, my 'Ponyboy' legacy name sounded funny at 2 in the morning, but when I woke up wanted I to gag myself.

It would take a lot more than just mere exhaustion for me to pick a legacy name such as that. Drugs or alcohol would have to be involved in large quantities, perhaps even at life threatening levels. No offense or anything.

i also got this email because i wrote a ticket

when they do add this feature i would expect prices to be:

5$ added to your monthly bill

or

in game credits 50k

that i think is legitimate other than that would be too much just to change a name, or to have it free...that would make many people happy

i also got this email because i wrote a ticket

when they do add this feature i would expect prices to be:

5$ added to your monthly bill

or

in game credits 50k

that i think is legitimate other than that would be too much just to change a name, or to have it free...that would make many people happy

$5 would not be added to your bill, it would be charged to your credit card immediately. It would cost $10 minimum. 50k credits is nothing. It costs me 23k credits just to remove 1 enhancement.

:rolleyes:

this is the same as the advanced class topic. it doesnt need to be in the game. it says when you are picking it. you can not change it. and nor should you be able to. people just need to make better choices when playing there characters.

First of all, this is not like the AC topic. The legacy name does not effect the type of character it is. You shouldn't be able to switch from being a rogue to a mage at any time.

Second, while they did say you cannot change it they did not say that this legacy applied to all characters. I thought it was the legacy this character would leave in the galaxy, not for my alts. I picked a name that went with my character, the way I played him and my invented back story for him. Had I known that this would filter to alts I would have picked a completely different name.

Personally, what is the point of having a legacy name if you can change it is a title that is earned to distinguish your characters and is part of the theme Star Wars has, I’m not saying as a role player, (never tried that myself) but as someone who takes pride in having a defined surname, hence, still trying to decide on a decent name. In addition, I understand that some people have made name that they consider hideous, short answer, should have waited and though it out properly.:csw_trooper:

P.S. Name changes should not be allowed.

Edited by Anarchistic

this is the same as the advanced class topic. it doesnt need to be in the game. it says when you are picking it. you can not change it. and nor should you be able to. people just need to make better choices when playing there characters.

The problem is that you may not want every character on that server to have the same legacy name. My legacy name is fine, it just doesn't fit all of my characters.

Also, because for some of us the name didn't turn out the way it looked in the little box. For example, I wanted to use De Hauteville, but you cannot use a space - so the little box rejected it. So I put in D'Hauteville, which I was OK settling for. And in the little box, it didn't correct it. So I accepted it and got...

D'hauteville.

While some people may not be bothered by that, I am. A great deal. So maybe I'm OCD, but if it is a name I'm going to have for all of my characters, I don't want it to make my eyeballs itch.

The whole idea behind the Legacy name is bad in my opinion. All my characters are related? No. A surname for one character might not fit another character.

Lightside guy named Justicebringer...fine.

Dark side guy with the same name? Not so good.

Anytime you restrict players options its a bad idea. How this dev team doesn't see that speaks volumes about their competence.

Edited by Rafkin

Actually you are wrong.

With advanced classes if you feel that you goofed up you can re-roll rather easy.

With the surnames you are stuck with it on that server for every toon you create from the day you picked the surname. That means if you goofed, that server is now dead to you or the surname is.

(edit) I am all for keeping the AC's the way they are. I love that once you pick it you are sticking with it for that toon.

As for the surnames, yes I can see how it would be nice to be able to re-do a 3am drunk poor choice, without having to restart on a new server.

You can turn your legacy name off, making it annon-issue.

Edited by mrfoughtforever

The whole idea behind the Legacy name is bad in my opinion. All my characters are related? No. A surname for one character might not fit another character.

Lightside guy named Justicebringer...fine.

Dark side guy with the same name? Not so good.

Anytime you restrict players options its a bad idea. How this dev team doesn't see that speaks volumes about their competence.

This needs to be viewed in perspective, doesn’t matter which side you are on both would believe they are right and that their cause is the appropriate one, therefore, the name of “Justicebringer” would fit for both sides as they both believe they are bringers of justice.:csw_trooper:

Edited by Anarchistic

The option to change the Legacy name would be nice for none other than, as has been said, it affects all characters on that server.

I wanted Red-Briar as my Legacy name and duly entered it (after pressing TAB as that usually implements any syntax changes in others games) - my Legacy name is now Red-briar. Not a big difference from what I would have liked/entered but to confuse things the Legacy page shows it as RED-BRIAR. It seems the game has decided that what I entered (wanted) is not what the game wants me to have but the game is not sure what it wants for me either. :rolleyes:

As to changing character names, I think that is a lower/non requirement - you know what you are setting that ONE character up for from the start.

BUT an implementation showing what your/any name will show up as in game before it becomes permanent IS a priority.

Actually when you first picked your legacy it didn't tell you it was for all your characters, many people believed it was a surname for the character you was playing not for every character on the server.

I think a one time only rename should be viable option, maybe something you could spend some legacy levels on?

Some people didn't even grasp that it was a surname, hence many of the double-named (Zargrath Zargrath, etc..)

i hope not. the legacy name allows you to spot jerks who scream racist stuff and then log to another char and support the initial shout.

legacy names allows you to be aware of what chars people have and helps people avoid being scammed etc etc.

allow a name change and you will open that whole murky world up again.

if bioware dont allow you to see what other chars are on someones account ... MMOs dont seem to want to do this, for some reason ..... then the legacy name should stay as you make it.

unfortunate if you pick a legacy name you dont like .. hey ho, tough luck.

hope they dont allow it

i hope not. the legacy name allows you to spot jerks who scream racist stuff and then log to another char and support the initial shout.

legacy names allows you to be aware of what chars people have and helps people avoid being scammed etc etc.

Correction, it only shows those that still don't know that legacy can be hidden, sorry.

They are working on it. No set time though. Email about it.

I am Protocol Droid W4-Z0 of Human Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us with your request to change your legacy name.

At this time, we are unable to change a character’s legacy name. However, we are actively working towards being able to offer this service to our players in the future.

Please keep an eye on our website at http://www.swtor.com, for any future announcements on this matter.

We do appreciate that as your legacy name is shared across all characters on a server, having a typographical error in the name, or having chosen a name that you now regret can be a source of frustration.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we appreciate your patience while we work towards a resolution.

If you have any more questions about this, or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Galactic Support is our Specialty….

Sincerely,

Although I wasn't looking to change mine lol Guess they didn't read my ticket very clearly

allow a name change and you will open that whole murky world up again.

if bioware dont allow you to see what other chars are on someones account ... MMOs dont seem to want to do this, for some reason ..... then the legacy name should stay as you make it.

unfortunate if you pick a legacy name you dont like .. hey ho, tough luck.

hope they dont allow it

You are aware that legacy name display can be switched off?

Do you really think anyone wishing to abuse, scam or troll across multiple alts is likely to leave their legacy name visible for your convenience in tracking them?

So you're happy with your legacy name, great, good for you. But lots of people created legacy names they aren't happy with for a variety of reasons. No reason to spoil the game for them just because a few idiots might abuse the system to do things that are against the TOS anyway. As it happens, I'm happy with my legacy name but if the option to change were available I might use it as my legacy name suited my first character but doesn't suit my others quite so well.

To avoid people regularly changing identity there could be a lengthy cooldown on legacy name changes, say a month.

It's a game. Games should be fun. If an option to correct a mistake with their legacy name improves somebody's gaming experience, why not?

And I say this as somebody who loves my legacy name, knew what it would be well in advance, and have no intention of changing it ever.

Edited by Jmannseelo