[SUGGESTION] Ability to /anon your online status

DarthRavnos

It isn't uncommon to include an ability to go "invisible". Practically every chat system in existence has it and it is common in MMO's now too.

Not sure where the hostility is coming from. :confused: It is considered a normal feature outside of SW:TOR. So chillax.

Invisibility and SW:TOR Users

The "Invisible" status on SW:TOR would allow you to be online and actively use the game without appearing as such to other SW:TOR players who have designated you as friends. Being invisible doesn't prevent you from contacting others, nor does it prevent other SW:TOR players from contacting you. Although you don't appear online to another player if you set yourself to invisible, he/she can click your character name and send you a text-based chat, just as he would any online player.

Reasons for Invisibility

Several potential reasons for setting your status to "invisible" exist. For example, you might need to get crew skills done while you work on something else outside the game and want to send whisper messages only as necessary. Alternatively, you may be having a chat with a specific user and want to ensure that no one attempts to contact you.

Advantages of Invisibility

Being invisible on SW:TOR could present several advantages. For one, it allows you to remain logged on to the game and be able to use the game without the hassle of receiving whispers from other players. Furthermore, if you're trying to avoid a specific player or players for any reason, it permits you to do so without them knowing you're online, which could further offend or upset them if you're fighting.

Edited by DarthRavnos

wich other mmo's are we talking about others ive tryed dont have such a thing

wow

rift

aion

apb

sw:tor

no you cant say wow have it. that is only for battlenet friends not for all friends in the game

Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (I suspect that means Dungeons and Dragons Online too), pretty sure FFXI has it and Everquest + Everquest II has the ability to /anon. And as I stated before, practically every chat system in existence. Also, this is a hot request item with most MMO's (seriously, do a search on Google people) including the Real ID system for Battle.net.

This guy is totally embarrassed about the amount he plays. He wants to hide it from his Guild brothers and sisters.

We don't judge man.

Obvious...

Edited by DarthRavnos

you said: It isn't uncommon to include an ability to go "invisible". Practically every chat system in existence has it and it is common in MMO's now too.

i listed 5 mmo's without the option to login as offline

and you can only mention 2. i dont consider that commen

and wow still dont have the option to go offline in friends list that is still only in the battlenet friends list

and honostly if you dont wanna be disturbed just do a /dnd im not active right now i wont respond

DAoC had the option to /anon yourself and I found myself using it here and there. There are times when you just want to do a little grinding in piece. I completely understand the want for it. "It's an MMO, if you don't want people to see you online don't play an MMO", that's kind of a bull **** reason to dismiss someone's suggestion. I could take it or leave it myself. If I don't want to talk to someone or deal with something I'll just tell them to leave me alone, but some people want to be more diplomatic about wanting time to just grind.

To those of you who objected I don't see how this would hurt you so why the negativity?

• 1 year later...
Aion DOES have the ability to be invisible. You better take a closer look. Been playing that since closed beta. I play a lot of mmos, and many others have the ability to go invisible. It is handy when you are trying to get your crafting done without people getting annoyed with you for not doing stuff with them while online.

• 2 years later...

This subject (invisibility status) should be revisited and reconsidered. There are too many people on the servers harrassing others especially after pvp matches/Ops , repeated sexual advances after the person already repeatedly said they aren't interested and a few other situations warrant the use of invisibility as well. You beat someone in a pvp match and they start stalking you in chat, on fleet and on planets. You do a couple of group missions and someone friends you, follows you and makes sexual advances towards you. When you tell them you aren't interested in forging RL relationships with strangers from the first sec they start hinting at it , they chase you from one end of the game to another while even stooping to attack people in your guilds/groups and harass them too just because they got upset. wth? Ignoring and reporting is just not enough to stop them all. The offenders just type in your character name and know where you are. Then they travel to that person jump up and down in front of them and start using emotes to antagonize them and tell other people to whisper you. So they can indirectly continue to harass you. Then they just jump from place to place to rinse and repeat. The only place they can't get to you is if you are already in an instance, ops or your sh. You can't get much done by hiding in your sh. Try having fun when you are followed and harassed from mission to mission or while collecting mats.

It is a frustrating thing to need to screen shot constantly, when it could have been avoided with a simple invisible feature. Then you submit the screenshots and no significant action is taken to stop it from happening again. Seriously, being banned from talking for a few days is also not enough to deter these people. Especially when they can willy nilly create a new account to do it all over again until the ban is off. This would be a welcome feature for the many people who just want to play in peace and enjoy the game to it's fullest without other people having the ability to spoil it for them and their groupmates.

Edited by AriaHimmelberg

I was surprised to see this game doesn't have an invisible status. You wouldn't need to be invisible to guildmates. Just to friends and everyone on the /who list.

To be honest, I was surprised to find the lack of several things in this game. The friends list doesn't show what class or level a player is unless they're online. You can only see this information for offline guildmates. Why? I have no idea. It's not hard to keep those fields populated. The store isn't very user-friendly. The GTN is more advanced than my other game in some ways, but falls way short in other ways.

Yeah, an invisible/anonymous status wouldn't be hard to implement and would be very useful, indeed!

• 6 months later...
Title says it all. You have the ability to go /afk and /dnd. You really should allow us to hide our online status with a /anon command. And it would be awesome if you could set those flags on your friends list.

Even better, if I log out as /anon log me in as /anon.

I agree, this is a feature that I would like to see implemented in Star Wars : The Old Republic. Perhaps, if the suggestion keeps popping up, they'll eventually dive into their code base to add an /anon feature.

Title says it all. You have the ability to go /afk and /dnd. You really should allow us to hide our online status with a /anon command. And it would be awesome if you could set those flags on your friends list.

Only if logging in as /anon also prevented you from seeing who among your friends and guild was online. It should also disable chat, IMO. If you want to hide from others and pretend you are not online, then you should be willing to give up the features that make you appear to be online, IMO.

This is just my opinion, but if Johnny wants to hide from Billy and prevent Billy from seeing him, then Johnny should not be able to see if Billy is online, or even Jeanna, from whom he does not wish to hide.

I see no reason why anyone should have the ability to hide from others while still maintaining the ability to stalk those other people from concealment.

I'm not saying that every Johnny would stalk Billy or Jeanna from concealment, but I see no reason to enable Johnny to do so, either.

Edited by Ratajack

As described, this would be a stalkers' charter - the ability to hide in the shadows and see other people online without being seen myself... awesome for the obsessive basement dweller who is following that "hawt gurl" around, but who has made it clear they are not interested...

So fine, you want to appear to be offline, I can accept that there would be potentially valid reasons why you would want the option. But I would also put limits on it, such as chat and all interactive features are disabled and you can only communicate with people who are (a) on your friends list, and (b) whose friends lists you are on. i.e. You are on their friends list, and they are on yours.

As described, this would be a stalkers' charter - the ability to hide in the shadows and see other people online without being seen myself... awesome for the obsessive basement dweller who is following that "hawt gurl" around, but who has made it clear they are not interested...

So fine, you want to appear to be offline, I can accept that there would be potentially valid reasons why you would want the option. But I would also put limits on it, such as chat and all interactive features are disabled and you can only communicate with people who are (a) on your friends list, and (b) whose friends lists you are on. i.e. You are on their friends list, and they are on yours.

^^^ This. Stalker heaven.