Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

People who ninja for their companions

xhaiquan

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This I would have no problem with. If the companion actually contributes to the fight then they have as much right to a need as any player character in the group.

Conversely, if they are not there they have no right.

Not to mention there is no one else in that party to roll for tanking gear except that companion.

I'm not saying you can't roll NEED at all for a companion. You just can't roll for your companion against a fellow player who is rolliong for their MAIN.

Not to mention there is no one else in that party to roll for tanking gear except that companion.

I'm not saying you can't roll NEED at all for a companion. You just can't roll for your companion against a fellow player who is rolliong for their MAIN.

"can't" ??

I think if you want something for your companion you say at the start of the run that you would like to Need on whatever class gear for one specific companion, and in exchange, forgo any gear that you might equip for your player character. On a different run you may choose to only Need for your character. But to have one player selecting Need gear for several different classes is greedy and could potentially create an imbalance in loot distribution among all contributing members of the flashpoint/operation.

I don't think of it as a rule, but it's a matter of courtesy and consideration of the group effort. I'm making it a point to clarify this at the start of runs since it's really just a matter of communication and agreement. At that point anyone that decides to go back on what they agreed is, pardon my language, not a gentleman.

I'd be ok with you rolling for your character OR your companion. Like you and Galbatorrix have stated, rolling for everything will create an imbalance, and it's that imbalance that has caused grief to so many.

If companions were meant to be part of you, I think everyone would be rolling need for everything. Which is definitely not intended.

Well... the argument looks like it's going to **** now. All this "yeahuh" "nuhuh" doesn't get anywhere.

Thanks to the few that kept it civil and made it entertaining. I guess I learned that for now, it's best to just clearly state your intentions, while BW goes looking into this.

Peace out everyone

This I would have no problem with. If the companion actually contributes to the fight then they have as much right to a need as any player character in the group.

Conversely, if they are not there they have no right.

meh, it doesn't matter if they have the right or not, they don't have the ability to roll. The players have the ability to roll though; so the players can roll need and equip the item in the slot that corresponds with that companion.

That argument doesn't seem that sound. Because next you'll say your companion has 2 sets. One for tanking and one for DPSing. At which case you might as well just hoard every piece of gear you ever run into ever. Just in case you might want to equip it at any given time. Which isn't what you do. So why not?

Yep, if I can get a need out of it, then it's a need. I don't quibble with the specifics. If it will make my character better in a non-trivial manner, then I will reserve the right to roll need for it.

meh, it doesn't matter if they have the right or not, they don't have the ability to roll. The players have the ability to roll though; so the players can roll need and equip the item in the slot that corresponds with that companion.

Yes, I'm well aware of your position on this issue.

...darn Jawa's :rolleyes:

I will admit I've hit "need" for my companion. I'm new to mmo's and didn't realize this was even frowned upon by some people. I also have to admit that most of the time if my toon or my companion can't use the gear I will hit "pass" instead of greed. So basically I just give up the gear to the rest of the group if I can't use it at all.

I will admit I've hit "need" for my companion. I'm new to mmo's and didn't realize this was even frowned upon by some people. I also have to admit that most of the time if my toon or my companion can't use the gear I will hit "pass" instead of greed. So basically I just give up the gear to the rest of the group if I can't use it at all.

Keep needing for your companion, it is perfectly fine.

There's a debate about whether or not rolling need for your companion is acceptable. It's perfectly fine either way. Just make sure when you get in a pug, you discuss how you prefer the loot rules to be set.

See, I don't agree with that. For the same reasons you already dismissed. I always play as Darne. But Vette doesn't always play with Darne. Neither does Jaesa, or Broonmark, or anyone else of those 6.
*shrug* After I acquired him, Tharan was pretty much always there.

I'm not really sure what your point is though; I've asked several times why that line of argument is supposed to be different argument than "it's 20 cunning and 1 crit for me vs 20 cunning for you so you shouldn't roll against me" ... but I don't recall seeing an answer.

Even if we are talking about lvling up. If you are struggling chances are it's not because of your companion.
No, when I hit Voss I struggled because I had let Tharan's gear get too far out of date; I hadn't realized how important it was to keep his gear up to date so he had gotten minimal upgrades.

Add a some pretty serious upgrades, I smoked the bonus series quest that I just couldn't manage before (he could finally keep up healing on that one pull with the 2 silvers). The rest of the planet was cake from that point.

By your logic since your companion is an extension of you. Do you ever give your companion the better gear?
Yes
Let me see your gear than your companions. I'm willing to bet you have the better stuff? Why is that?
Actually, I spent warzone commendations to gear him out before I spent them on me. Level 40 gear in my early, particulary 2 implants and ear piece, even though I could have used those commendations to pick up a few upgrades for myself (I didn't bother because I don't like the look of the pvp pieces at all).

let me link you my armory... oh wait...

Edited by ferroz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.