Help! I never PVP'd before 50 :(

Vlayue

So...being a very busy person I have problems checking the updates EVERY time they're applied. I finally hit 50 on my guardian and decided I'd pvp while waiting for FP's to grind for gear to do OPs with.

Problem is everyone is 50 and they're all geared out the #$* because they've been PVPing since they were 20 or w/e.

How do I pvp like this? I'm in defensive gear currently as vigilance. I could spec tanky (plan to anyway for FP) but I'm still practically fodder.

Am I screwed to grit my teeth and bare it until I can get to a decent enough pvp level or should I just scrap it, cut my losses and get my pvp fix from another toon that isn't 50? Is there anyway to do things in PVE to get PVP gear? Like commendations or badges or something? Thank you ahead of time.

So...being a very busy person I have problems checking the updates EVERY time they're applied. I finally hit 50 on my guardian and decided I'd pvp while waiting for FP's to grind for gear to do OPs with.

Problem is everyone is 50 and they're all geared out the #$* because they've been PVPing since they were 20 or w/e.

How do I pvp like this? I'm in defensive gear currently as vigilance. I could spec tanky (plan to anyway for FP) but I'm still practically fodder.

Am I screwed to grit my teeth and bare it until I can get to a decent enough pvp level or should I just scrap it, cut my losses and get my pvp fix from another toon that isn't 50? Is there anyway to do things in PVE to get PVP gear? Like commendations or badges or something? Thank you ahead of time.

Take a look at this guide:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=222960

First, you need to get the best gear you can buy, then start earning more in PvP. Ilum and Belsavis dailies are your friends.

Edited by Bamajawn

Go pvp on an alt until you understand how the games are played and at least some of the abilities of other classes.

During this time, be sure that you farm as much as possible on your main and make enough money to buy all purples from the Market. If you have >/~14k HP at the end of this time you will not be a burden on your team.

People telling you to spend a million credits on gear are doing you a disservice. I just fully geared a fresh 50 in a single weekend, playing casually. I did my diaily PvP and Ilum daily and then logged out. Do the same and you'll be full Cent in no time. You're going to be useless in PVP regardless of your gear until you learn to play, and you can only learn to play by playing.

Yup, it just takes a little time...not much actually, I went from greens/blues to all cent/champ in about a week. Just do dailies and be persistent.

People telling you to spend a million credits on gear are doing you a disservice. I just fully geared a fresh 50 in a single weekend, playing casually. I did my diaily PvP and Ilum daily and then logged out. Do the same and you'll be full Cent in no time. You're going to be useless in PVP regardless of your gear until you learn to play, and you can only learn to play by playing.

But you will be living a weekend where every time you join a warzone for those dailies you will have to live with the knowledge that you are needlessly bringing your team down and being selfish.

A mil is nothing at 50

That said, you are right that he will probably be useless regardless of gear for a few days if hes never pvpd before. :D

So maybe it doesnt matter.

Yup, it just takes a little time...not much actually, I went from greens/blues to all cent/champ in about a week. Just do dailies and be persistent.

Honestly, even if you are in purple crafted gear, you're probably going to get beat alot until you learn how to play. I would just use the blue/green stuff you got while leveling. I leveled my Jugg as immortal spec and went into warzones just tossing guard on healers and ball carriers until I was confident enough to spec vengeance DPS.

Like everyone says, grind it. You will be squishy at first, but if you stick with it, you'll get better gear and better experience.

I didn't start PvP until I hit 50 and I didn't buy the game until 3 weeks after launch. Once I hit 50, I grinded the dailies til I was outfitted with all 51 mods. Went into PvP and got stomped harder than the roach sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Now, I am almost a month into level 50 and I am in full champ (minus the gloves) + rakata, level 48 valor, over 500 expertise and kicking some serious behind.

Edited by KilmarFyrewynd

Honestly, even if you are in purple crafted gear, you're probably going to get beat alot until you learn how to play. I would just use the blue/green stuff you got while leveling. I leveled my Jugg as immortal spec and went into warzones just tossing guard on healers and ball carriers until I was confident enough to spec vengeance DPS.

Wearing greens and blues when I started did not deter me from playing PvP, I did not fair so terribly that I was a burden to my team. Granted I knew I was not going to be a big contributor so I did things like guard turrets and communicate incs to my team, protected healers, guarded doors in voidstar, stealth-ed in the end zone for passes in huttball, etc.

Being an undergeared player does not automatically make you a plague to the team, and it takes no time at all to get gear.

Edited by Vydor_HC

I arrived at 50 with the usual mix of blues, a few purples, and green or two. I purchased a 50 armor set as well as 49-50 weapons, and (mostly purple) implants, ear, and mods all around for about $300k and that took me to 14k HP. If you have Belsavis/Voss comms, you can get a few decent items from those vendors. Edited by Bamajawn

YOU FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN!

We all had to do it and it makes you a better player. Just get in there and learn how to play your class.

Wow what very quick replies!

So from what I can grasp here I just need to grin and bare it while doing dailies and what not whilst possibly buying some gear.

I've PVP'd plenty of times before but mostly as a ranged..this is my first attempt at being melee while pvping. My biggest issue would be people lagging..gets so annoying..other then that like I said I seem to do pretty well for just starting out.

Wow what very quick replies!

So from what I can grasp here I just need to grin and bare it while doing dailies and what not whilst possibly buying some gear.

I've PVP'd plenty of times before but mostly as a ranged..this is my first attempt at being melee while pvping. My biggest issue would be people lagging..gets so annoying..other then that like I said I seem to do pretty well for just starting out.

Yup, stick with it and have a good attitude, don't let the people here tell you that you can't contribute if you're under geared. You'll struggle for sure, but it won't last long. Dailies is a key, get them done and you'll get gear much quicker.

Yup, stick with it and have a good attitude, don't let the people here tell you that you can't contribute if you're under geared. You'll struggle for sure, but it won't last long. Dailies is a key, get them done and you'll get gear much quicker.

I roleplay a Jedi Guardian because I'm an optimist :) I'm so glad to see others are as well.

I know I contribute well enough because of how certain games have gone down with me doing certain things like simply giving the enemy something to beat the @#$ out of while my team gets to the point, plants bombs, kills the attackers off etc.

The dailies seem awesome..I just found that thread about fresh 50's and I'm doing that soon as I get home tonight.

I still think I prefer range but I'm not going to judge until I get decent enough gear..I've seen too mayn vids of jedi guardians just wrecking PVP.

There is no excuse not to upgrade your leveling gear to the purples you can easily buy/get within a couple hours of turning 50.

its not even the stat difference, its showing that you are putting effort into the game.

12k hitpoints at level 50 is a big 'im a liability' sign, not becaus 13k hitpoints is that much more useful, but because 13k hitpoints shows that you tried.

Not trying is just disrespecting the other 7 people on your team, saying "i expect you to carry me and i don't care if we lose im just leeching until i have some gear"

There is no excuse not to upgrade your leveling gear to the purples you can easily buy/get within a couple hours of turning 50.

its not even the stat difference, its showing that you are putting effort into the game.

12k hitpoints at level 50 is a big 'im a liability' sign, not becaus 13k hitpoints is that much more useful, but because 13k hitpoints shows that you tried.

Not trying is just disrespecting the other 7 people on your team, saying "i expect you to carry me and i don't care if we lose im just leeching until i have some gear"

-shrugs-

They can if they want to, but it's not required, and the player can still contribute to the matches. You're over exaggerating when you insinuate they are useless.

-shrugs-

They can if they want to, but it's not required, and the player can still contribute to the matches. You're over exaggerating when you insinuate they are useless.

Theres no reason not to. credits stop meaning anything at 50. Why not stop by the GTN and dump some credits on some nice gear for yourself instead of flopping around in trash?

And there is quite a large damage difference. Switching over to a crafted level 50 purple weapon when all you had previously was some orange weapon with a blue level 47 or whatever commendation barrel makes a huge difference in damage output. A 20-30% increase in your actual damage output overall is no an exaggeration if you get good purple level 49 gear.

Theres no reason not to. credits stop meaning anything at 50. Why not stop by the GTN and dump some credits on some nice gear for yourself instead of flopping around in trash?

And there is quite a large damage difference. Switching over to a crafted level 50 purple weapon when all you had previously was some orange weapon with a blue level 47 or whatever commendation barrel makes a huge difference in damage output. A 20-30% increase in your actual damage output overall is no an exaggeration if you get good purple level 49 gear.

-nods-

Like I said, they can if they want to, but it's not required. More important they realize what they will be up against and understand how to contribute rather than think they are going to be on the same level as everyone else.

Edited by Vydor_HC