Sup with orbital stations?

Proksham

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the seemingly nonsense running through an orbital station, just to hit another load screen when it comes time to board the shuttle down to the planet?

if i had to pick one thing that irritates me in this game it would be this.

run to shuttle, loading screen, run to ship, loading/splash screen, travel to planet, exit ship, loading/splash screen, run across station, loading screen.

its just an annoying waste of time. i realise the point of mmo's is timesink but that time should at least in some way be entertaining not mind-numbingly boring.

needs to be cut down somewhat.

cutting out the run across the docking bays/stations to your ship would be a huge improvement.

Why the seemingly nonsense running through an orbital station, just to hit another load screen when it comes time to board the shuttle down to the planet?

I would agree, if one thing was to be removed it would be the orbital stations. Im not sure what the concept behind this was, except 'immersion'.

If they were to cut down load times, then i would understand, but you take on, what seems the full load of that planets server just at the orbital station. Maybe there is more to it, i havent a clue.. lol

Unless there's a quest to be picked up, or auto initiated in a given area, I'd just like to see one cut scene. If I click on the IA door at the fleet, for example, they could add a 'running to board my ship' piece right before the other animation before you are actually on your ship. You can watch it or hit space bar.

When you exit, it's 'ok' that some places of little space stations and what not, because there are quests on them 'sometimes', but if not, show me running across the air lock, then through the station to get on the shuttle, and then I'm down. If I want to hit space bar, I can.

If there is a 'quest' available to me, or something that auto-triggers, 'then' it stops you there.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is if there's a quest up there but I just don't ever want to take it, I'd be stopped forever. I would say never have a quest up there, but sometimes they make sense and are kinda fun. I seem to recall there was one, for example, regarding environmental suits or something before going down to Hoth the first time.

I 'personally' don't mind it as is too much, my rig can work with it. I have a friend who gets 'really' bogged down by transitions. Also, when he starts conversations, I 'always' have to wait for him at the first choice, because it takes so long just to transition 'into' the conversation. We haven't tried to run a PUG yet for a Flashpoint, my biggest fear is running into some really impatient people, but we'll see.

The only reason I can think of, is because making a spaceport with separate hangars on a small settlement doesn't make sense "Reality" wise. But in all honesty, I would MUCH prefer just having a small lot where 4 ships all hang together, than to have to run through another spaceport/orbital station.

Corsucant anyone?

While having a separate story zone for each hangar may improve immersion, I believe it's hampering on quality of life as a whole by making getting from point a to b a needless hassle.

The only reason I can think of, is because making a spaceport with separate hangars on a small settlement doesn't make sense "Reality" wise. But in all honesty, I would MUCH prefer just having a small lot where 4 ships all hang together, than to have to run through another spaceport/orbital station.

Corsucant anyone?

While having a separate story zone for each hangar may improve immersion, I believe it's hampering on quality of life as a whole by making getting from point a to b a needless hassle.

But I like immersion!

Your idea means the planet can only fit 4 people :o

I'm not really defending the idea of the orbital stations because I hate it, but you don't hit another load screen when you shuttle to the planet. You may hit a splash screen for the client to catch up, but he planet loaded before you hit the orbital station.

But I like immersion!

Your idea means the planet can only fit 4 people :o

Well I guess you could include a few novelty npc military ships for immersions sake. Story wise, you're going to the planet because there aren't many who would dare conquer the troubles within the zone anyways. So having shared vessels wouldn't do much to hurt immersion anyways in my opinion.

Story and immersion.

Did I mention that this is a "story-driven" MMO ?

I find that to be a faulty argument. I've played a Bounty Hunter, Jedi Knight, Jedi Sentinel and Sith Warrior. In all cases I'm acting at the behest of my government and am on a very urgent mission to free some Dark Lords on a prision planet, stop the Empire from unleasing a super weapon, or assist some other Darth with the conquest of a planet and in all cases time is of the essence. So being that I'm not some common galactic denzien you would think I would be allowed to land directly at the space port on a planet.

I agree that orbital stations are ridiclious things that are simply adding time to make the current content take longer when in fact the current content should just be mildly harder...

You are playing a MMO. I hate to point this out but the entire point of a game that never ends and cannot be beaten is to .... take up your time. Also, it kept them from having to create a new space port with your specific ships graphics at each planet.

Obital stations create a time sink and also the illusion of travel. Why not make everyone teleport and fly everywhere? Why cannot I run 300 mph?

Stop crying about little details and enjoy the video game.

Probably because in the original design, those locations served a purpose - one which got cut during development due to lack of time/funds, or a concept that never made it out of the design stage.

Story and immersion.

Did I mention that this is a "story-driven" MMO ?

It would be nice if there was something "story-driven" about having to go to Docking Stations.

Like more quest content at Docking Stations (e.g. "certain" companion quests).

All in all Docking Stations are a waste of time at this time as implemented and COULD be more useful.

I agree with OP and all the having 6+ loading screens and "dead" zones to travel to another planet is a pain. This is especially so when you have limited time to play and slow load times for zones.

Just sayin ...

Edited by Urael