Needing for companions is not a bad thing

ghezundheit

In this game, companions are as much a part of you as your character is. The need/greed/pass function allows you to throw your hat (as it were) into the ring for an item that benefits you through them.

Ninja is such an old outdated term and doesn't really apply here. Why try to use it?

Need for your companions -- if you really think they would use something and don't feel guilty if you win. Its a roll that you won legit and square. No ninjaing involved...

Well its not ninjaing, if you roll on a pice for gear that you will use on your companion, its your right to do so and you won a legit roll. Is it right towards other players or against some kinda gentlements etiquette, everybody has an oppinion about that but one thigs is for sure, its not ninjaing whihc in some games is bannable behaviour. Edited by Forsbacka

That's like needing on an item you could use as an Alt.

Why don't we all just Need everything? Then some Jedi Guardian can snatch up that nice looking chest piece that's made for a Gunslinger.

Edited by Azumio

It's greedy, plain and simple.

If you roll need on something against an actual living player who can use it then you're a massive clown. Learn some etiquette and stop worrying about how many fancy pixels you can hoard all for yourself, and your companion, at the expense of the rest of the group.

Edited by TheHoodedFang

It's greedy, plain and simple.

If you roll need on something against an actual living player who can use it then you're a massive clown. Learn some etiquette and stop worrying about how many fancy pixels you can hoard all for yourself, and your companion, at the expense of the rest of the group.

It might be greedy but no rules broken there. Even rolling for alts aint considered as "ninjaing"

In this game, companions are as much a part of you as your character is.

so your comp is in the flashpoint? if that's the case i'd say sure, if your comp is sitting on your ship or working on tradeskills then no, it isn't "just as much a part of you as your character."

Well its not ninjaing, if you roll on a pice for gear that you will use on your companion, its your right to do so and you won a legit roll. Is it right towards other players or against some kinda gentlements etiquette, everybody has an oppinion about that but one thigs is for sure, its not ninjaing whihc in some games is bannable behaviour.

If your companion isn't a part of the group, but three other players are, then no - you have absolutely no right to do so. That is straight up ninja'ing, whether you are willing to admit it or not. No amount of glossing over makes that deniable.

You rolled on an item you yourself cannot use when another member of the group was able to use said item. That is the very definition of the term.

Where do people come up with this garbage? Stop trying to justify being a greedy, self-entitled twirp and start conducting yourself like an adult.

So let me get this right.

Lets say your in a FP you have been waiting for all day for that specific piece of gear you have been trying for quite some time now and it drops off the boss. Oh the joys the MMO gods have placed on you for this fortune of a drop. You roll Need because well, you need it to finish off that gear set you have been working on and some other person on the team that cant use it for them self rolls need on it "because it is an upgrade for their companion" and wins the need roll. Your going to tell us that you wont get absolutely pissed off because of this?

In this game, companions are as much a part of you as your character is. The need/greed/pass function allows you to throw your hat (as it were) into the ring for an item that benefits you through them.

Ninja is such an old outdated term and doesn't really apply here. Why try to use it?

Need for your companions -- if you really think they would use something and don't feel guilty if you win. Its a roll that you won legit and square. No ninjaing involved...

While farming dungeons for my main character I've been able to gear almost all my pets in head to toe epics off greed rolls. Not that it matters because I rarely even see my pets anymore because due to all the group play I do now a days. If the OP is willing to roll need against people who need a piece for their main gearset for his pet gear, then he better get used to playing with his pets instead of other players.

Edited by Vlaxitov

Let me make this clear, if someone ever needed on a piece of gear for a companion I would immediately leave. No questions asked, no excuses. I know my gf (healer, I'm tank) would go with me. (I would offer the third person a spot as well, not fair to punish them)So enjoy your group.

Then when I saw you searching for a new group, I would make sure everyone knew what kind of a jerk you are.

I would make sure none of my friends brought you along as well. That's why I love the current game, with no lfd groups. If people do stuff like this, they WILL be punished. Not by mods, but by the community. You are lucky OP you haven't run into anyone like me yet.

I would question this for you OP, is getting that new item for your companion worth having to find a new group? Then is it worth being blocked out of future groups that you could run with? I assume you are dps, because well this is a very dps thing to even post.

Edited by Tenetke

If your companion isn't a part of the group, but three other players are, then no - you have absolutely no right to do so. That is straight up ninja'ing, whether you are willing to admit it or not. No amount of glossing over makes that deniable.

You rolled on an item you yourself cannot use when another member of the group was able to use said item. That is the very definition of the term.

Where do people come up with this garbage? Stop trying to justify being a greedy, self-entitled twirp and start conducting yourself like an adult.

Well thats your oppinion and i respect it. I still will roll on any item that is usefull to my companion or one of my alts since its not against any rules and it gets my companions or alts get better gear upgrades.

E: goddamn what is up with my posting

Companions and pre-50 gear are irrelevant and if you can't deal with someone grabbing gear for them or honestly think you need dropped gear from low level instances you're equally wrong.

Edited by FerrusPA

Well thats your oppinion and i respect it. I still will roll on any item that is usefull to my companion or one of my alts since its not against any rules and it gets my companions or alts get better gear upgrades.

Most gear is BoP so saying you're going to roll for alts is lulz.

You will roll for your pets a handfull of times before word gets out and you become a mark on your server. Then you will be here on the forums crying about needing x-realm to find a group.

Are you saying that people who play DPS are inherently greedy?

No,

you have three roles

1. tank, probably too busy worried about the upcoming mobs, or he's busy trying to change out his mods for new stuff to get the optimal mix of accuracy,defense,shield etc

2. healer, probably more worried about what's coming up, topping everyone off, does a quick glance at gear then back to paying attention.

Then you have dps. I won't go there, because I have only rarely done a "dps" role. Let's just say it was boring to the extreme.

I see the OP as a dpser because of the above, and the fact that I see a tank/healer as being much more giving people. I just haven't met any tanks or healers in SW like that. THey've all been nice, good people.

Most gear is BoP so saying you're going to roll for alts is lulz.

You will roll for your pets a handfull of times before word gets out and you become a mark on your server. Then you will be here on the forums crying about needing x-realm to find a group.

Not really, majority of players dont do blacklisting, if i get blacklisted by few angry nerds, so be it but so far me rolling need on anything i can use havent effected on my abilitty to find groups very fast. Also have to add that no one has left the group cause of that so i guess forum posters doesnt mirror the average player ingame.

Hello!

We know that the topic of rolling for gear and needing for companions is a hot topic right now. That conversation is already in progress, so we encourage you to post your thoughts here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=173847

You might also be interested to know that Damion Schubert commented on rolling for gear in a relevant thread:

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

We hope that adds some insight to this important topic. We will be closing this thread now. Thank you for your cooperation!