The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What might help a lot is some sort of server-wide LFG channel. What's annoying is that all the FP's are based out of the Fleet. My server usually has a decent number of people in Fleet on both factions: but most of them are level 50s. If I'm level 20 and interested in finding a group for Hammer Station or Athiss, there's very few people in Fleet available. It would be nice to have a way to do quests in my character's level range while still looking for a group.

Players already have the ability to create public channels. All you have to do is create the channel and advertise it to the population at major hubs like the fleet. My server has a global LFG channel and it's great.

And what about all those dps on other game QQing about 20-30+ minute waits?

10 minutes blows that LFG que right out of the water, and it was through talking to Community members.

If you want a LFG tool, which what they do have is lacking in good function ability and the lack of players willing to actually use it, then it should be, and they are "fixing it", server community only and Not X-Server.

People are complaining this is an MMO (forgetting the RPG) , where's the Community? Oh I'll just hit this button and wait for a rng lfg FP without having to talk to anyone at all.

Make up your own minds, stop getting spoon fed and think about it.

I have alts on 2 servers, I Never have a problem finding people to do things with, and it's not just the heroics and flash points, but just questing together, yapping (typing) away and Enjoying the game. And I am Not on the , I guess, High Pop Servers, and I've rolled both Imperials and Republic.

Chat, talk, make friends, have a good time and enjoy the game.

Oh, and to sensiblepoast, I am not "Pro" raid guild at all or in the least. I gave that up long ago, I want to make friends and enjoy the game content.

Sounds like a good argument for dual-spec on the fly to me. If you have a long que as dps, just que as something else. Works for me. I can cut my que times down from 10-15 minutes to instant.

Cross-server queues sound great in theory. In fact, I was a huge proponent of them in WoW because I thought it would help me get more gear in less time. Six months later it became a lesson in be careful what you wish for.

1. 90% of players chose DPS or heals, resulting in 25-minute queues and power-crazed tanks.

2. "Noobs" got matched with "pros" who then refused to kill anything until the "noobs" left or got kicked.

3. Trolls queued up seemingly for the sole purpose of harassing other players (face-pulling, trash-talking, AFKing, you name it).

4. Ninjas clicked Need every time the button lit up, regardless of whether the item suited their role or even if they were already wearing it.

5. People with bad gear and possibly no familiarity with the English language were placed in dungeons they had no hope of completing, which resulted in two hours of exasperation followed by failure.

6. The GMs did little or nothing to protect the nice people from the sociopaths, and pretty soon there were no nice people left.

If that sounds like fun to you, then by all means gogo dungeon finder.

10 minutes blows that LFG que right out of the water, and it was through talking to Community members.

If you want a LFG tool, which what they do have is lacking in good function ability and the lack of players willing to actually use it, then it should be, and they are "fixing it", server community only and Not X-Server.

People are complaining this is an MMO (forgetting the RPG) , where's the Community? Oh I'll just hit this button and wait for a rng lfg FP without having to talk to anyone at all.

Make up your own minds, stop getting spoon fed and think about it.

I have alts on 2 servers, I Never have a problem finding people to do things with, and it's not just the heroics and flash points, but just questing together, yapping (typing) away and Enjoying the game. And I am Not on the , I guess, High Pop Servers, and I've rolled both Imperials and Republic.

Chat, talk, make friends, have a good time and enjoy the game.

Oh, and to sensiblepoast, I am not "Pro" raid guild at all or in the least. I gave that up long ago, I want to make friends and enjoy the game content.

Nobody's complaining about the queues for DPS, they are reasonable and better then what they have ever been. The only people that are complaining are people in this game and is the reason why the game is hemmorrhaging subs

Edited by Touchbass

Cross-server queues sound great in theory. In fact, I was a huge proponent of them in WoW because I thought it would help me get more gear in less time. Six months later it became a lesson in be careful what you wish for.

1. 90% of players chose DPS or heals, resulting in 25-minute queues and power-crazed tanks.

2. "Noobs" got matched with "pros" who then refused to kill anything until the "noobs" left or got kicked.

3. Trolls queued up seemingly for the sole purpose of harassing other players (face-pulling, trash-talking, AFKing, you name it).

4. Ninjas clicked Need every time the button lit up, regardless of whether the item suited their role or even if they were already wearing it.

5. People with bad gear and possibly no familiarity with the English language were placed in dungeons they had no hope of completing, which resulted in two hours of exasperation followed by failure.

6. The GMs did little or nothing to protect the nice people from the sociopaths, and pretty soon there were no nice people left.

Yeah, the system is so bad that everybody uses it cause there is a Hunter's Mark over their head. Sorry the majority of experiences are more then acceptable. Facts are facts.

Edited by Touchbass

Hmmm, as pretty much everything else, LFG tool has huge pros and huge cons. What really amazes me is that BW are going to blindly jump into a middle ground, intra-server LFG. I hope it works, but from my past experience in Rift, an intra-server LFG was as good as not having anything.

In my personal opinion, before they go for any kind of LFG tool, they should go for a server wide (also cross-faction) LFG channel and some sort of teleporting to FP door and even Heroic mission area. If they implemented it real soon and test its efectiveness, then they'd have more ground to decide if an LFG tool is still needed and which kind of LFG tool to implement, same server or cross server one.

In other games that don't have a LFG tool, that kind of channels were user created (and moderated) and they were very successful for both finding teams and building a strong community which I guess is what most people in the game would like.

WoW is undeniably the most successful MMO game ever, but not necessarily the only one that has great features to look at.-

Edited by Nightmarer

Hmmm, as pretty much everything else, LFG tool has huge pros and huge cons. What really amazes me is that BW are going to blindly jump into a middle ground, intra-server LFG. I hope it works, but from my past experience in Rift, an intra-server LFG was as good as not having anything.

In my personal opinion, before they go for any kind of LFG tool, they should go for a server wide (also cross-faction) LFG channel and some sort of teleporting to FP door and even Heroic mission area. If they implemented it real soon and test its efectiveness, then they'd have more ground to decide if an LFG tool is still needed and which kind of LFG tool to implement, same server or cross server one.

In other games that don't have a LFG tool, that kind of channels were user created (and moderated) and they were very successful for both finding teams and building a strong community which I guess is what most people in the game would like.

I'd be interested in any innovation they want to add that doesn't involve putting in a Cross Server LFG. Problem is a intra-server LFD has been shown to fail miserably, both automated and unautomated. Yes we don't have it in here to compare but by that logic we can't bastardize a X-LFD either.

This, and cross-warzones I dislike

Even at weird times like 3am, warzones only take a couple mins to pop, I myself have met multiple friends by doing warzones

90 minutes without a warzone pop != a couple of minutes.

I'd be interested in any innovation they want to add that doesn't involve putting in a Cross Server LFG. Problem is a intra-server LFD has been shown to fail miserably, both automated and unautomated. Yes we don't have it in here to compare but by that logic we can't bastardize a X-LFD either.

True indeed and I don't have anything personally against implementing a X-LFD tool, but seeing that is a big issue for many people both sides of the fence, I think there are other options to explore (which seem faster and easier implementation although I could be wrong) before deciding whether to implement a LFD tool or not and which kind of LFD tool to use.

In any case, LFD or not, user created cross-faction server wide channels would be really helpful in a game where rolling alts is encouraged so players don't miss impromptu events in their guild or by their friends while levelling an opposite faction alt, but that's another subject.

In EVE Online/DAOC theres only one server, obviously they do not have a community!
DAoC is down to one server?

If you mean World of warcraft... thne they're delusional. It's 10-15 minutes way off peak; a peak times it's generally between 7 and 10 minutes. And that's for groups at the level cap;

low level groups are even faster, since they're easier and people are less afraid of tanking/healing in them. I leveled my goblin hunter WAAAY after the goblin leveling curge (like 6 months after cata was released) and I would generally have a queue time around 5 minutes or less; there was a day when I was having trouble trying to quest between dungeons because it popped so fast.

1. Finish dungeon,
  2. reque
  3. Start killing a mob for the quest I was on (they were right where I had logged out, sometimes close enough to aggro as I zoned in)
  4. queue pop before I finish killing it.

No, it's about on par with the queue, maybe a little longer.

if you actually do a real comparison, like:

• worst case lfd tool in wow for dps = ~15 min
  • worst case looking for group in swtor = 3 hours and give up. I watch people do that at least once or twice a week (I'd probably see it more but I don't sit around in fleet that often)

it's no contest. LFD wins hands down.

The lfg tool in game is garbage; it's never going to be anything but useless.

Having the tool doesn't cause that behavior; it doesn't even encourage it.

Make up your own minds,
I have; cross server please. Edited by ferroz

True indeed and I don't have anything personally against implementing a X-LFD tool, but seeing that is a big issue for many people both sides of the fence, I think there are other options to explore (which seem faster and easier implementation although I could be wrong) before deciding whether to implement a LFD tool or not and which kind of LFD tool to use.

In any case, LFD or not, user created cross-faction server wide channels would be really helpful in a game where rolling alts is encouraged so players don't miss impromptu events in their guild or by their friends while levelling an opposite faction alt, but that's another subject.

1) Make companions fill up to 2 roles in a party, this could solve a lot of issues

2) Take out lots of orange gear, people don't need upgrades from instances because of it

3) Add unique vanity rewards, EXP boost vellums for alts, pets, titles, female strip show tokens, etc

^, those would at least alleviate the issue but it's just a band aid solution to a bullet wound

if you actually do a real comparison, like:

• worst case lfd tool in wow for dps = ~15 min
  • worst case looking for group in swtor = 3 hours and give up. I watch people do that at least once or twice a week (I'd probably see it more but I don't sit around in fleet that often)

it's no contest. LFD wins hands down.

That happened to me once, I decided to give it another chance. Got a group together in 30 minutes, tank bailed due to RL issues in the middle of the run and it fell apart. Archaic POS system if you ask me.

Nobody's complaining about the queues for DPS, they are reasonable and better then what they have ever been. The only people that are complaining are people in this game and is the reason why the game is hemmorrhaging subs

That "hemorrhaging" subs is actually on another thread, and that is still very high in the debate as to it supposedly happening.

There is "data" being thrown around left and right, but nothing concrete. It does, with all that has actually been truly covered with truth seems to be holding steady in active subscriptions.

The reason so many feel that there is a loss of subs is in part due to the que times to log in at the start and the ensuing QQ for more servers, then the expanding of the servers giving those that have a lower pop an empty feel. More so is that many people have re rolled onto higher pop servers to have more community to play with leaving even lower pops on more servers.

I still stand on the ground of no X-Server LFG for the reason I have and have not stated.

I would appreciate that BW fixed the LFG mechanic that they have in place, even going so far as to make it server wide.

Although really most groups are looking for groups in the area that they will be joining for the FP/OP and shouldn't need it so much, but those on planets may LFG for Hammer Station/Athiss/Collicoid War? whatever and not be reaching those searching on the Fleet for the same FP, as was discussed earlier per this thread.

No, it's not nearly that heavily skewed, especially at low level.

I don't recall ever seeing this in more than 1000 purely pug lfd runs.

I've seen really badly geared people kicked, but not the situation that you described. Even that didn't happen all that often. I remember a dps dk joined the group, and was in blood spec (this was 8 months after cata dropped, and blood was tank only at that point). He didn't get kicked from the group even though he was pulling threat and his dps was abyssmal.

I've seen this less than 6 times in over 1000 pure pug lfd runs.

just regular run of the mill rude people? sure, they were a little more common... but still pretty rare.

I've seen this twice in over 1000 pure pug lfd runs

I've run into a few people who don't speak English; Warsong, in particular, has a large Brazilian population (Portuguese). Mostly they just spoke bad english; I can only think of one case where we couldn't communicate at all.

Near instant dungeons with a ~1% bad group rate? Sure, sign me up. Edited by ferroz

That happened to me once, I decided to give it another chance. Got a group together in 30 minutes, tank bailed due to RL issues in the middle of the run and it fell apart. Archaic POS system if you ask me.
yeah, that's one of the really nice things about the lfd. It's like weather in the midwest: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute."

1) Make companions fill up to 2 roles in a party, this could solve a lot of issues

2) Take out lots of orange gear, people don't need upgrades from instances because of it

3) Add unique vanity rewards, EXP boost vellums for alts, pets, titles, female strip show tokens, etc

^, those would at least alleviate the issue but it's just a band aid solution to a bullet wound

1) I thought that already could be done, not sure of what you mean there.-

2) Agreed, specially now that after 1.2 patch, orange gear from drops/mission completion rewards will be less desirable since it doesn't have an augment slot.-

3) Agreed.-

Also, granting social points for accomplishing missions on a team or killing bosses, I mean, not just for conversation rolls (at the end of the day, teaming with other players is also a form of socializing).

Agreed it would be just a band aid, but anything that could implemented really soon would help since iirc, the talks about a LFD tool were about June, and it'll be intra-server so, anything that could be implemented immediately would help in the meantime. If devs find out that said immediate implementations have sorted the issue to an extent they're happy with (I highly doubt it but I don't have a crystal ball) then fine, if not, making it easier to find groups until a proper tool is implemented can't harm.-

Because the servers can not police themselves. In a LFG system the bad player that afks or ninjas can continue to keep doing it. Without a LFG auto invite system the player that does this will get the reputatation and after a while will not get invited to any groups because of what he did.

What it also adds is the people who will begin ninjaing stuff because they got stuff ninjaed from them.

There is no good that comes from a auto invite LFG system its just Bioware asking for 10x more problems then they already have with the game if they add it. If they do add it then you both deserve what you get.

I agree with this. The amount of whining and horrible behavoir from the WoW community after lfd and lfr were implemented was intolerable. If such a thing goes live in swtor I will be immensly dissapointed and just move on to another game.

We need queues, sick of spamming to fill my groups. I don't bother to even bring random scrubs anymore...just wait for my RL friends to log on to fill groups. If they are not on, I usually troll the mentally weak in the fleet or pvp.

I think I posted earlier in this thread and I was in favor of a LFD tool if it was server only. At the time my server had a fairly healthy population and finding groups wasn't too difficult, just took a bit of spamming (30 minutes at most to find a group).

Now my server is a ghost town. No one in my guild will run FPs because there is nothing in it for them compared to the difficulty that some provide. I still have yet to see Maelstrom Prison, Directive 7, Kaon Under Siege, or Colicoid War Game on normal or hard mode (I guess I could probably just solo some of the lower level stuff to see it). We NEED cross server LFD. There simply isn't any other option. The pool of players to draw from on this server simply isn't large enough anymore to reliably fill a 4 man FP group.

I feel like right now I'm paying for content that BW won't let me have access to. If cross server LFD doesn't happen I'm gone. I love the game, but if I can't even play it and group with other people in an MMO what is the point?

Edited by NDiggy

I used cross-server LFG for a long time in WoW and I never found any of these problems to be all that bad...

Two solutions. First, roll more tanks. Second, there are a lot more tanks in SWTOR than there were in WoW. I've actually had myself (heals) and a tank with trouble finding DPS more often than I've had DPS and me in search of a tank. Also, if it's built anything like WoW's, just vote-boot the power-crazed tank and you're top of the list for the next tank.

I never once had this happen to me in the thousands of LFD runs I did in WoW. Never.

Vote-kick works here. So does reporting. It's pretty rare.

BW is changing the need-greed buttons so that you can't need if it's not a class item. Also, vote-kick.

The LFD tool in WoW did a gear check. Bad gear was impossible. Also, vote-kick. This was also pretty rare

I don't recall encountering any sociopathic behavior. I'm sure I did, but it was rare and easily dealt with. See: vote-kick.

Honestly, the word "policing" got thrown around again. With a X-LFD it protects the good honest gamer from being abused from the elitest. Any single complaint you can really dish against the X-LFD has been done again and again to casuals by elite power gamers on the same server. Also the ludricous gear requirements to run HM's (you can't find a group for normal instances, tyvm gear ladder system) are insane as everyone wants "quick easy HM, be geared plz". Why the hell would I want someone like that policing me? I do just fine in the LFD and so do many others, tyvm. I'm good enough of a player to carry someone whose bad so let me :) Edited by Touchbass

I really do hope they do cross server looking for group on my EU server trask ulgo its very difficult to find groups even during peak times. I really dont find it fun to sit on the fleet spamming LFG on global for hour after hour. Its not even as though the server I am on is a low pop server.

I agree with this. The amount of whining and horrible behavoir from the WoW community after lfd and lfr were implemented was intolerable. If such a thing goes live in swtor I will be immensly dissapointed and just move on to another game.

I cancelled my account today because I'm unable to find enough guild mates, friends or people online with any interest in running FP's or any group content.

I used the LFG tool in WoW every day to run dungeons and heroics, I found it met my need for gameplay in a 2 hour timeblock. I rarely ran into loot, social, or group issues that continue to get mentioned here. Actually it opened up more content and a more diverse player base than I had been accustomed to. Which in turn enhanced my gameplay and allowed me to stay a member of the community for a greater period of time. In other words, it was fun and I enjoyed the unique challenges that came with unique random groups. Not just the same 4 or 5 guild mates running through the same content like you have now is SWTOR.

SWTOR has a great deal of improvements and enhancements to make before I or any of my friends even begin to think about coming back.