Abysmally long loading screens

Scyrner

I'm not sure if you're really serious when you say it's "irrelevant".

It was serious - once I took a 2011 gaming laptop which used to run TOR pretty good at home (fiber power ISP) to a hotel room with much slower Wi-Fi, and it nearly got unplayable there.

Warzones lagged, planet loading times were about 5 times longer. Running around on fleet was a screen freeze fest.

It felt like someone ripped out the CPU and graphics chip and replaced it with a 2005 celeron. All because of slower internet bandwidth.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did. They improved the engine in Update 1.3. I tested 1.3 on the PTS and the loading weren't reduced that much for me (maybe from 8 seconds to 7 seconds, at most) but for some other testers, the cut was gigantic. Some players had 10-30 seconds reduction for the loading times!

P.S. They also improved the graphics.

The only thing I can find in the path notes related to ths is,

Several performance optimizations for lower- and mid-spec processors and graphics cards have been implemented.

Which probably explains why you, on your spec, saw little increase. Nothing about graphics though.

i often wondered if there was an issue with multi core processors..

i have a lap top that runs this game not bad 40-60 fps on average anytime.. but my wifes quad core runs it around the same. the computer is far superior to my laptop. but its fps fluxuates often and by huge degrees compared to mine.

i was wondering if the hero engine has an issue allocating resources through the multi cores. ( i have a dual) the hero engine is years old now. so i could almost see an optimization problem being an issue

i have a lap top that runs this game not bad 40-60 fps on average anytime.. but my wifes quad core runs it around the same. the computer is far superior to my laptop. but its fps fluxuates often and by huge degrees compared to mine.

i was wondering if the hero engine has an issue allocating resources through the multi cores. ( i have a dual) the hero engine is years old now. so i could almost see an optimization problem being an issue

As far as I know there are several things which are not ideal for current hardware:

1. Single Thread engine, not multithread

2. 32bit client

3. Still DirectX 9 game, although current version is DirectX11

As far as I know there are several things which are not ideal for current hardware:

1. Single Thread engine, not multithread

2. 32bit client

3. Still DirectX 9 game, although current version is DirectX11

ya i was wondering about the direct x thing lol anyway that was just an observance that i noticed since i do maint on both our computers and can easily compare the two build wise, thats one of the biggest differences our computers have is number of cpus.

I'm not sure any current MMO uses more than two cores. What has been shown is that by and large they are more CPU depedent than GPU, so , given the same GPU, it s likely that a duel core 3.2ghz proc will perform better than a quad core 2.4ghz.

The only thing I can find in the path notes related to ths is,

Several performance optimizations for lower- and mid-spec processors and graphics cards have been implemented.

Which probably explains why you, on your spec, saw little increase. Nothing about graphics though.

At first, I thought I was hallucinating. Everything seemed more "sharp" on the PTS, that also includes the shadow and lighting effects. Then, I asked other forum members and in game testers and they confirmed it. The game looked "better". There were also the new graphics options "Very High" and "Very Low".

Edited by Sammm

I'm not sure any current MMO uses more than two cores. What has been shown is that by and large they are more CPU depedent than GPU, so , given the same GPU, it s likely that a duel core 3.2ghz proc will perform better than a quad core 2.4ghz.

ya but explain why a dual core 2.4 ghz preforms better than a quad 3??

cause thats whats happeneing here..

i get the point.. and ya games dont use more than dual core normally..but how does the engine deal with that extra ability.. does it use it for optimization or just leave it unused and wasting resources of its own?

the problem is unless you worked on the hero engine none of us will have a logical answer..it just appears to be *** backwards to anyone who knows anything bout computers:P

It´s all server lags and sync issues, nothing more. You can get a faster internet connection, but that´s about it you can do. The games graphics are so low spec with everything turned off, you could play it on any five year old hardware and still get the same loading times.

I disagree, you can play it on 7 year old hardware without everything turned off, I do :D

My graphics card is 2 years old but the rest is 7 years old. I can play with textures set to high and other stuff set to low/off.

not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, wasn't planning on going through 6 pages of weird suggestions of more ram...

what helped me ... A LITTLE... was more virtual memory. check your settings, maybe you can teak something there

The SSD talk and client hardware tips here are mostly BS.

Once I was going to Ord Mantell as the only person there, and I swear my loading time was like ONE SECOND !

It´s all server lags and sync issues, nothing more. You can get a faster internet connection, but that´s about it you can do. The games graphics are so low spec with everything turned off, you could play it on any five year old hardware and still get the same loading times.

Tip: Check the amount of data downloaded while playing! :eek:

It's not BS, I load into almost every WZ as the first person in, I logout to alts in under 30 seconds all at 1920x1080 resolution. Welcome to 2012,rather than 1990. Update your hardware to be competitive or be lost in the past.

Edited by Dein_Cathair

Just came back to the game. I never had this problem pre ver 1.2 it was always quick except for tatooine, and balmora. Now almost every single loading screen is taking 2 to 3x's as long as it use to and theres less players now than there was before. So idk if they messed something up in 1.2, but I hope they fix it in 1.3. Also your ram is fine. If someone can run a game using over 4gigs and its stable...well they would have a partner ship with lead game developers. If you still don't believe me about the ram, or your os takes up alot of it, just use a flashdrive and turn it into a ready boost system basically making it into ram. If you don't feel like doing that than if you have ddr3 ram then look around its so freaking cheap! You can almost buy all the ram you would ever want for around $20-$30.

You just necro'd a 4 month old thread.... /facepalm

It's not BS, I load into almost every WZ as the first person in, I logout to alts in under 30 seconds all at 1920x1080 resolution. Welcome to 2012,rather than 1990. Update your hardware to be competitive or be lost in the past.

You don´t get the point, it´s not your SSD, it´s your fast internet connection!

As I said, at home I can play on a 2011 gaming laptop and on a much higher spec quadcore Xeon video editing workstation with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 580 on glass fiber ISP with average loading times, taking exactly the same time on both machines, then I used the same laptop in a hotel room with slow internet (Wi-Fi) and it was laggy as hell and loading times almost tripled!

Your internet provider is giving you the great performance, the SSD gives a little extra loading time boost perhaps, but nothing more.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Are you really zoning that much that this is an issue? In normal play you may zone what, once, twice during a session? You go to a planet and are there for up to 5 levels. Even space missions load fast.

If you are crafting, swapping between alts the best way to increase that is to keep all your alts on fleet. Swapping is very fast.

You don´t get the point, it´s not your SSD, it´s your fast internet connection!

As I said, at home I can play on a 2011 gaming laptop and on a much higher spec quadcore Xeon video editing workstation with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 580 on glass fiber ISP with average loading times, taking exactly the same time on both machines, then I used the same laptop in a hotel room with slow internet (Wi-Fi) and it was laggy as hell and loading times almost tripled!

Your internet provider is giving you the great performance, the SSD gives a little extra loading time boost perhaps, but nothing more.

Omg dude, your posting in a thread called abysmal long load times and your complaining about playing from a hotel with slow internet. That is not biowares fault, I'd suggest finding a better hotel if you believe that is your problem.

And P.S. my SSD does give a performance increase and its also a pci-e ssd.

Are you really zoning that much that this is an issue? In normal play you may zone what, once, twice during a session? You go to a planet and are there for up to 5 levels. Even space missions load fast.

If you are crafting, swapping between alts the best way to increase that is to keep all your alts on fleet. Swapping is very fast.

A lot of - especially - class quests require you to zone quite a lot.

Omg dude, your posting in a thread called abysmal long load times and your complaining about playing from a hotel with slow internet. That is not biowares fault, I'd suggest finding a better hotel if you believe that is your problem.

And P.S. my SSD does give a performance increase and its also a pci-e ssd.

OMG dude can´t you read what I posted?

I said I TESTED the game which runs ok at HOME at another place with SLOW INTERNET and THAT CAUSED LOADING TIMES AND LAGS going through the roof.

And you are bragging about SSDs, don´t you get the point the SSD is total BS in improving your load times? Go to a slow public wi-fi spot and test how much your SSD is giving you in loading time improvement: Z E R O . You´ll get massive lags and framedrops plus screen freezes.

Running great at home? Then thank your provider, not your SSD !

A SSD is a complete waste of money for TOR, got a Raid 0 with SSDs in my main machine and there is absolutely no performance gain noticable.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

OMG dude can´t you read what I posted?

I said I TESTED the game which runs ok at HOME at another place with SLOW INTERNET and THAT CAUSED LOADING TIMES AND LAGS going through the roof.

And you are bragging about SSDs, don´t you get the point the SSD is total BS in improving your load times? Go to a slow public wi-fi spot and test how much your SSD is giving you in loading time improvement: Z E R O . You´ll get massive lags and framedrops plus screen freezes.

Running great at home? Then thank your provider, not your SSD !

A SSD is a complete waste of money for TOR, got a Raid 0 with SSDs in my main machine and there is absolutely no performance gain noticable.

i agree here.. static drives do not increase performance loading all that much .. the gpu and the cpu (mostly gpu ) are more important that an over priced ssd..but becuase it is new.. and people dont do a ton of research ssds have become the in thing in gaming, when they mean so little it isnt worth the extra money..

for what you can get an ssd for you can get double the hd space with a regular hd and be doubley as happy for it.

the isp is the key factor here. many times ive experienced lag that was a direct cause of my isp not the game... or my computer.. people seem to think just because you give the isp good hard eearned money it means they are going to give you a perfect great product..

tl dr.. ssds are incredibly over rated

Didnt 1.2 add higher rez textures,then you use antialising and running the game on high settings could have extended some load times.

When I first arrive on a planet I expect a longer load time, everything after that is fast,a matter of seconds.

When I log into the game itself I expect a decent load time because I run everything on max settings.

In the end its just a few core areas that have a longer load time.

Traveling to different planets and logging into the game, but cannot report any legth of load time that was worth a complaint.

Edited by CygnusMX