To Many Abilities ?

GgreatGenes

maybe this is dumb..but is it just me or did they give us too many abilities ?? i play a sith marauder as my main and i cant even fit everything on my UI even with the extra quick slot bars added to the sides...for example do we really need both Pommel strike and Savage kick ? and numerous damage reduction abilities ? i feel like some of these could be combined into one, perhaps with a few seconds shaved off the cd or something i dunno.. i coould keep going but i think i have made my point..

dont get me wrong i love this game and will probably be playing for a long time to come :) (if i can ever get past my lv 48 class quest) i am just curious if anyone else thinks this?

Lindsay

I find I have about 4-5 too many abilities on my higher level characters. I'd really benefit from being able to move one of the side action bars to the bottom so I can see my active abilities more easily. I don't mind storing rarely used abilities or things like stances on the sidebars.

You're actually not supposed to use all of them. Which ones you use depend on your spec. What's the bread and butter ability for spec X might not be very useful at all for spec Y etc. Some abilities that you unlock in the talent trees are supposed to replace abilities you learned from your trainer (ie Assault Plastique replacing Sticky Grenade due to them sharing cooldown).

I did not think so on my level 50 Jedi Shadow. I moved all of my skills such as personal buff, emergency fleet pass, rez companions and players icons, quick travel..etc, to my second hidden ( number 2 ) icon tray below my main task/skill bar in the center .

I find I have about 4-5 too many abilities on my higher level characters. I'd really benefit from being able to move one of the side action bars to the bottom so I can see my active abilities more easily. I don't mind storing rarely used abilities or things like stances on the sidebars.

Yea, the problem isn't to many abilities, but to few and poorly placed action bars.

You're actually not supposed to use all of them. Which ones you use depend on your spec. What's the bread and butter ability for spec X might not be very useful at all for spec Y etc. Some abilities that you unlock in the talent trees are supposed to replace abilities you learned from your trainer (ie Assault Plastique replacing Sticky Grenade due to them sharing cooldown).

Well that's the thing with a Marauder, nearly all the abilities are useful to any given spec. I know that I use just about every ability I have on any given day. Other classes, not so much.

Edited by ispanolfw

I can tell you never played Rift, the game had atleast twice as many abilities at max lvl then ToR has..

i did actually...but i am currently playing SWTOR not rift nor do i think the two games are very comparable..i like SWTOR much better :)

Edited by GgreatGenes

well i wont lie..i do find most of my abilities usefull i just think to many of them are to similar and could be combined into one ability. and yes i hate the UI in this game i dont bother putting quick travel on my ui or other things of that nature but i am very prone to hotkeying my abilities..but with so many that i have even hotkeying can be unefficent i find.

In a way I agree, there are too many abilities for me to manage especially with my bounty hunter bodyguard. With him I use 20 slots in combat so have bound the key to rotate the bottom quick slot bar. I reality I'm a bit of an options nut and I only really need 5 for healing and 5 for pve damage.

Then I think about it and I'm grateful that I have a selection of skills, some of which I choose to use more often than others. It adds variety and a level of strategy not present in certain other games. I think the trick is not to be tempted to play with every toy in the box all the time. Find what does the job as you like to do it and work with that for a few levels but keep experimenting.

What I don't like is that champions, bosses and even some elites seem to be immune from knock back and stun, but that's another thread.

I would put my vote in the user interface is poorly designed crowd.

i dont mind the number of abilities my characters have, but the default bar layout is clunky and i dislike putting anything on my side bars i actually use very often, which severely limits my "usable" space.

this creates a situation where i 'feel' like i have too many abilities, but the reality is that the bar layout is causing this space restriction which is causing that feeling...

Edited by -Fritz-

Number of abilities is fine. The problem is the extremely limited (and completely inflexible) ability bar and the fact that 'stance' buttons aren't separate from the main bar.

Also, as an Operative there is no independent Stealth bar, so you have several Stealth-only abilities needlessly clogging up the UI.

Sith Marauder (and its mirror, Jedi Sentinel) do have a huge number of abilities, most of which are useful in certain situations.

I normally play Sage/Sorc, Merc or Op, and leveling my Marauder/Sentinel alts make me feel like a secretary typing 180 words per minute because I am bashing so many keys. It is fun and challenging though...

But with 1 quickbar devoted to my companion, the 36 available slots on the other bars will soon be filled easily. :)

maybe this is dumb..but is it just me or did they give us too many abilities ?? i play a sith marauder as my main and i cant even fit everything on my UI even with the extra quick slot bars added to the sides...for example do we really need both Pommel strike and Savage kick ? and numerous damage reduction abilities ? i feel like some of these could be combined into one, perhaps with a few seconds shaved off the cd or something i dunno.. i coould keep going but i think i have made my point..

dont get me wrong i love this game and will probably be playing for a long time to come :) (if i can ever get past my lv 48 class quest) i am just curious if anyone else thinks this?

Lindsay

Nope it's not just you

Marauders have a lot of abilities, I suggest sitting down and logically mapping your abilities to keys. For example, on all of my toons control is interrupt and stun, shift is second set of DPS abilities, and number keys are primary. I group so the shift + number is a logical choice.

For example, if 2 were my relic, shift-2 would be my adrenal. This helps a bit as you will have a ton of keys as a Mara

I think the system used in Guild wars is brilliant, you have lots of skills but can only have 8 active (which then becomes the build).

Although I don't think it would work in a game like this - BUT - I do think that less is more

Yes, there are too many abilities for my taste. I like to balance performance with fun, so I make a few sacrifices to keep the UI a bit simpler.

I think it depends on your spec. I chose to go carnage and havent done alot of PVP yet, my marauder is L44. But I havent bought like 5 or 6 abilities, simply because I havent needed them yet.

Your example of Kick and Pommel, though, those are my two biggest hitters so yes I use those, usually Jump, Kick (dead) then Smash Pommel (dead).

But for instance I didnt bother with Rupture because that is a DMG/time ability and is better with the other bleed spec, nor the crippling abilities, becuase in PVE I'm not finding I need it.

Also some abilities replace others, such as with Carnage spec, Massacre replaces the.. uh.. first one you get, forget the name at the moment.

I dont use the side bars at all, too messy. I have 2 bars on the bottom and I scroll to a third for my buffs, travel, etc to have them close but not in my face all the time.

Yes, agree with the OP entirety. Too many situational abilities that could be served by simple consolidation.

Why is there an ability that can only be used on stunned targets and yet another on slowed targets while juggling not one, but two resources - focus and energy. Overly complicated does not mean fun - fun is fun. Play is play. Work is work.

The fact that it's pretty much agreed there are too many abilities or too few action bars underlines the common need to consolidate abilities with similar effects or conditions into one.

The problem is having a balance between Point and Click and having a rotation of 5-7 abilities used during every battle. I'm playing a Sentinel right now and I'm constantly using about 6 different abilities throughout each fight to ensure that I'm doing strong DPS while keeping myself above 50% health.

All of my spots are full on the bottom two bars with a couple of abilities that I don't use all of the time on the left bar. I don't find my screen to be cluttered but I could definitely use some UI customization.