Dual Wield Question

Exilicus

Off hand damage does not scale with anything. It is 30% of your weapons raw damage untalented, or 66% talented. As for the other question, no one can say 100%, but in my honest opinion I think its working as intended. Now do I agree with it? No, i think offhand weapon should mean more than it does. It seems like a cosmetic item more than an actual useful item slot. But its Bioware's game, and the decision they made was made and probably for good merit. We'll just have to see how it plays out in the future.

it is as intended, if it scaled it would make Sents very very overpowerd, as well as it would be impossible to balance things like a Merc Bounty Hunter with a Commando trooper and a gunslinger vs a sniper.

Your offhand is little more then a modable stat stick. That is how it has to be for balance purposes.

it is as intended, if it scaled it would make Sents very very overpowerd, as well as it would be impossible to balance things like a Merc Bounty Hunter with a Commando trooper and a gunslinger vs a sniper.

Your offhand is little more then a modable stat stick. That is how it has to be for balance purposes.

Exactly.

Even if they did buff OH damage, they'd simply have to nerf something else. We're balanced around our OH being exactly what it is.

Since it's all additive it's not like your mainhand "scales with strength" either...

Seriously.. Your damage is based off:

Mainhand base + bonus damage + (0.3 to 0.66)x Offhand base.

What you are asking for is:

(Mainhand + bonus damage) + (Offand(multiplier) + bonus damage)

It's obvious to see how that would get rediculously out of control. We'd basically be getting around 1.3-1.66 multiplier on our strength/power. And as that scaled it would end up insanely over powered.

so say you have full BM gear and lets assume you're facing a full BM opponent so the expertise stat is a wash.

Anyone know exactly how much damage the 3 pts in dual wield mastery actually adds to the few attacks that use both sabers?

I mean i dont have any pts in in it and i can crit pvp geared people without relic/adrenal for 3.4k or so. if i had the 3 pts in dual mastery what would it bump it up to? 3.6k?

I think its working as intended. Now do I agree with it? No, i think offhand weapon should mean more than it does. It seems like a cosmetic item more than an actual useful item slot. But its Bioware's game, and the decision they made was made and probably for good merit. We'll just have to see how it plays out in the future.

If you played KOTOR much you can see why they made the decision to make it primarily cosmetic. Look at the build guides for KOTOR, and the vast majority of them recommend going dual saber, rather than double-bladed saber or single saber.

Reason?

You can enhance each saber with 3 crystals (one color, 2 power). Double-blades and single sabers get thus 3 total crystals, 2 of them power crystals. Power crystals in KOTOR do things like +3 to hit and damage, +6 to deflect blaster bolts, etc. Dual-wielders got 6 total crystals and thus 4 power crystals. Double-wield was thus MUCH more powerful, and if there had been online PVP with KOTOR, literally every Jedi would've had to be double-wield. You just gave up too much effectiveness without it. Not just more damage but more bonuses to defense, crit chance, etc, etc, etc. Whatever a single-wielder could have as a bonus, you could have twice as much double-wielding.

Now that said, I beat the game many times single-wielding (though I prefer double-wielding in terms of style). So you didn't HAVE to do it to beat the game, which is how BW got away with it. But, if they had let that kind of thing carry over into TOR -- which is totally logical given the fact that you do have 2 actual sabers in your hands -- there would have been no end of crying about the OP nature of double-wielding vs. all other forms of attack.

Now there are other ways they could have balanced it. But it seems like they decided the easiest route was to make the difference between single blade, double blade, and dual wield, be more cosmetic. This way there was no issue in terms of balance and you can bet a lot less QQing.

If you played KOTOR much you can see why they made the decision to make it primarily cosmetic. Look at the build guides for KOTOR, and the vast majority of them recommend going dual saber, rather than double-bladed saber or single saber.

Reason?

You can enhance each saber with 3 crystals (one color, 2 power). Double-blades and single sabers get thus 3 total crystals, 2 of them power crystals. Power crystals in KOTOR do things like +3 to hit and damage, +6 to deflect blaster bolts, etc. Dual-wielders got 6 total crystals and thus 4 power crystals. Double-wield was thus MUCH more powerful, and if there had been online PVP with KOTOR, literally every Jedi would've had to be double-wield. You just gave up too much effectiveness without it. Not just more damage but more bonuses to defense, crit chance, etc, etc, etc. Whatever a single-wielder could have as a bonus, you could have twice as much double-wielding.

Now that said, I beat the game many times single-wielding (though I prefer double-wielding in terms of style). So you didn't HAVE to do it to beat the game, which is how BW got away with it. But, if they had let that kind of thing carry over into TOR -- which is totally logical given the fact that you do have 2 actual sabers in your hands -- there would have been no end of crying about the OP nature of double-wielding vs. all other forms of attack.

Now there are other ways they could have balanced it. But it seems like they decided the easiest route was to make the difference between single blade, double blade, and dual wield, be more cosmetic. This way there was no issue in terms of balance and you can bet a lot less QQing.

This guy is on fire today. In KOTOR you could basically just dual saber spec, and then just hit flurry for about EVERY enemy in the game and you were going to win, that's how overpowered the dual sabers were.

This is one area that BW has actually balanced pretty well if you ask me.

When you look at the off hand damage with the dual wield mastery talent as just another source of bonus damage (as in the stat line on your character sheet) then yes, I would say its worth it. If your combat spec it should be a no brainer, I won't comment on the other two specs. I'm biased as anything that increases my damage is priority one. So the real question is, if you aren't combat spec, what else is there that you can boost your damage?

So a question along the same line...

Is the Talent to increase the off hand damage worth the three points?

When I maxed this talent at lvl 45, the tooltip says ~100-150 more offhand bonus damage. I like it.

Besides, it's much better than Jedi Crusader. If you're going in to the second tier of the combat tree (or higher), it's a no-brainer.

if your saber is 300-350 dmg as an example. 0.66 - 0.3 = 0.33 difference in the dmg output which is 99-115.5 dmg difference that you'll get as an addition in every Strike and every skill that requires you to have double sabers.

In raw amount, the damage doesn't look too good, but let's say, if you're using 6-7 attacks that uses double sabers per fight, you'll be benefiting an additional 600-800 dmg. That's just an example.

In my opinion, small numbers are what make the difference in the long run. So I think it's worth it, but still, everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

As a Watchman I'd have to say, it's nice to have but not a priority. To level 41 I have not bothered with it yet. In PVE, I have no problems doing without it. In fact once I finished the last Watchman skill, I hopped over to Focus with my level 41 talent point to pick up the talent that reduces the CD on Stasis and Master Strike.