Newly minted 50's some advice for you.

Sith_Mauler

this is for newly minted 50s that are still using level 40 greens and blues, that try to run hm's.

especially tanks and healers because those are easily exposed.

go do dailies and collect tokens to buy some lvl 50 purple item upgrades and find some mod-able armor and equip it, lvl 50 blues sell for cheap on GTN those will allow you to run the 3 easiest fp's in hm. which are bp bt and foundry there you can collect your first upgrades.

dont run the harder hm if your not geared for it, I hate expensive repair bills for a hm that I more and likely I wont receive anything useful anyways besides daily credit or a upgrade for a companion.

I am decked out in tionese, columni and rataka armor/gear and every death for me costs around 14k credits.

so save your self some time money and hate and come equipped.

Edited by Sith_Mauler

So you have finally solo'd your way to 50, because its hard to find groups in this game.

You've done so without any advice or anyone helping you figure out how to build your character or what gear to put on it.

Now, you're just excited to finally be able to get a group because you made it to 50. Awesome you think to yourself!

But really, you need to spend another month grinding dailies on Belsavis until those same people who refused to group with you on the way up will even consider grouping with you now. Oh, yeah, go do it by yourself. What do you think this is? A game where you group with people? If you can't solo it, don't group with me!

So begins the "you're not good enough to play with me" wars...

We would be better off if the ability to look at someone else's gear was removed. To me, when Turbine added that feature to DDO, it ruined a large segment of the populace.

Yes, its a rant, but after 10 years of playing MMOs, I'm pretty sick of this elitist, bs attitude. I'll assume that the OP was even and actually trying to be helpful, but even in a post with advice, the attitude that you are wasting someone else's time in a game because you have not yet done 30 runs through the level 50 content evident. And it saddens me that it is already so.

So you have finally solo'd your way to 50, because its hard to find groups in this game.

You've done so without any advice or anyone helping you figure out how to build your character or what gear to put on it.

Now, you're just excited to finally be able to get a group because you made it to 50. Awesome you think to yourself!

But really, you need to spend another month grinding dailies on Belsavis until those same people who refused to group with you on the way up will even consider grouping with you now. Oh, yeah, go do it by yourself. What do you think this is? A game where you group with people? If you can't solo it, don't group with me!

We would be better off if the ability to look at someone else's gear was removed. To me, when Turbine added that feature to DDO, it ruined a large segment of the populace.

Yes, its a rant, but after 10 years of playing MMOs, I'm pretty sick of this elitist, bs attitude. I'll assume that the OP was even and actually trying to be helpful, but even in a post with advice, the attitude that you are wasting someone else's time in a game because you have not yet done 30 runs through the level 50 content evident. And it saddens me that it is already so.

Give me 100k for repairs and I carry you through raids and HM's.

problem is hardmodes are pretty hard on the tank, and with weaker DDS it makes the job of tank/healer harder as well. Then theres is also learning curves for the area. it really isnt easy to jump into a hard mode with 4 new 50s and succeed. design wise it isnt optimum, but its not just the op compaining, there is a steep curve gear requirement wise.

Still if you find the right people, who know they are running it with some new people, it can be pretty fun.

but yeah blame the developers for making gear centric progression ala the gear check as the main mechanic post 50, but rarely before 50.

It's not an elitist attitude... it's fact. A fresh 50 is not geared enough to run hard modes. They need to do the dailies on Belsavis and Ilum to get the armor, mods, and enhancements.

It's called progression.

I do largely agree, but i can give u some tips of your own.

A: Run with your guild where possible to avoid this.

B: Buy yourself some lvl 50 blue / cheap epic gear and use this when running with pugs to minimise your own repair costs.

Much better suggestions to the OP then those provided by the OP in his lecture to others.

IMO, OP just wanted to whine about how PUGs let him down and cost him money. DUH!

It's not an elitist attitude... it's fact. A fresh 50 is not geared enough to run hard modes. They need to do the dailies on Belsavis and Ilum to get the armor, mods, and enhancements.

It's called progression.

And on that note, it takes no where near a month of doing dailies to get enough gear, maybe a week and your good to go.

If you didn't make friends, or join a guild, and expect random strangers to just "trust" you know what you're doing. In case you didn't realize it SWTOR is nothing but agear check game.

Who you group with is by your consent, at least until they launch the much pleaded for cross server random LFG.

Lecturing to others on a game forum what they must to for you to feel secure running with them is hilarious. If they don't have adequate gear to make you feel secure in a run, and you run the encounter with them anyway, that's on you. You forfeit you priviledge to whine about it.

If you didn't make friends, or join a guild, and expect random strangers to just "trust" you know what you're doing. In case you didn't realize it SWTOR is nothing but agear check game.

Of course they could have adequate gear, and still be a stink hole at playing. :rolleyes:

The game is not just a gear check. Like other MMOs, you need both gear and skill if you are running anything challenging at all (unless it's just a 40 person gang bang).

Its a hot topic and not one that I disagree with. I've got all Champion/Columi gears on my Sin that I run as both dps and tank given the day. I try my hardest to keep my gears as best as possible. Not being in a Guild that fits my time availability pretty much takes Rakata gears off the table for me a this time. When I hit 50 I had "decent gear" but I knew what would be expected of me.

That being said I spent 2-3 days doing dailies and I upgraded my basic hilts, armor mods. After that it was a big difference. I've been in a few rag tag puts lately with new 50's getting their feet wet and it's easy to blame them for a group fail/wipe where you just shouldn't. . However what I always need to remember is that even the best of us start there. HMs are pretty much the same sure, but it's still different non the less.

I had a Sorc healer for a Foundry run that was new, with a Green lvl 45 lightsaber. Yea, I knew I was in trouble. Sure enough we wiped ion first pull of more then 4 mobs. Lost to Reven a few times, all the while most onus were below 50% hp.

Moral is- Expct the worst in pugs, hope for the best and get something in between. If you're not comfy with the way your group looks- bail, I wouldnt hate you for it.

Edited by Cripplers

run dailies for a couple days, get mods... check

run pvp for a few days, get some champ/cent gear... check

you are now safe to do hardmodes on any class, whats the problem here? You act like hardmodes are actually hard?

Edited by mitigated

Lol When they start To Implement the Combat logs.. It'll get even worse.

Watch out for the "I don't want you in my team because you cant DPS above XXX number"

Still if you find the right people

You had me right there. That's the issue with this game is finding the right people, and enough of them. The server says "heavy" on population. The guild has 40+ online at peak times. We can't find enough of us who want to do the same thing at the same time to do anything together in this game.

Yeah we schedule some FP time, but everyone is off in their own little world most of the time enjoying this single player game with multi-player chat.

Who you group with is by your consent, at least until they launch the much pleaded for cross server random LFG.

Lecturing to others on a game forum what they must to for you to feel secure running with them is hilarious. If they don't have adequate gear to make you feel secure in a run, and you run the encounter with them anyway, that's on you. You forfeit you priviledge to whine about it.

Where did I say I run with them? I used to, but not anymore. Try running a hard mode BT with a couple of players in greens and blues and you will understand.

run dailies for a couple days, get mods... check

run pvp for a few days, get some champ/cent gear... check

you are now safe to do hardmodes on any class, whats the problem here? You act like hardmodes are actually hard?

try it with undergeared party members.

I am a 31 pt arsenal spec bh, I rain down pain and dps, I can always find a under geared or crappy tank if I have to pop my threat c/d more than one or twice.

with a good tank i never have to pop it unless a pull goes bad or there is no aggro tables.

And on that note, it takes no where near a month of doing dailies to get enough gear, maybe a week and your good to go.

Honestly, a single pass through Belsavis heroics and Ilum PvEs should get enough stuff for a tank (enough commendations to have a good armor rating, anyways) to handle BT HM.

I dunno, not even a week though. A few days of heroics is enough.

Edited by Randomness

Wow, and here I thot I was playing because I was actually supposed to *enjoy* this game.

I play solo and enjoy it for the most part. Don't know how to get into a guild because there doesn't appear to be any instructions on how to do that, aside from creating your own. So I assume you must be invited. I guess I'm not "good" enough for an invite.

I suppose I'll just go back to enjoying the game.

:D

Yeah, this gear-mania, grind boring dailies to get gearz, and oh, you aren't skilled enough, either, is a BIG part of the reason I'm not an MMO fan. I've been enjoying SWTOR so far, mostly because of the story content, but once the fun-to-time ratio gets too low, I'm outta here. Grind is NOT fun, IMO.

@Nepharia - To find a guild, look for the "Guild recruitment" type threads in the forum for your server. (Look under "Server Type" fourms.) Guilds advertise for members.

Edited by roadrunnerNM