Am I just MMO'd out?

Frobisher

Now don't get me wrong, SWTOR is probably one of the most polished MMOs I've ever played.....yet

Having played most MMOs since the days of UO and EQ I'm starting to flag in hours logged in. Having played most classes I find everything post level 20 (when you stop gaining "new powers" and instead getting upgrades to existing ones) a bit similar to the last 3-4 levels.

The storylines are great, but even that doesn't seem to draw me in.

I suppose its due to the old MMO mechanics of Tank/DPS/Healer (which even if the game allows different tactics, most parties end up playing in defined roles) and no matter if I'm fighting in a secret Imperial Manufactering plant or the Dungeon level of Lord British's castle.....the setting differs but the game "feels" similar. The last few MMOs have given me the same feeling of being a retread. Its nothing to do with Devs not being bothered to come up with something new, more they satisfy what the customer wants.

It give me pause to consider the term MMO, is it in fact a genre rather than a term used to describe its capabilites. Sure there's lots of different types of MMO, but the more popular ones all seem to "play" in a similar manner.

So as an MMO player am I fated to have a number of years playing the big guns of the MMO world before settling down to drift between niche MMO in the search of new gameplay?

I guess it all boils down to what the majority of the customers want. And I guess the big subscription numbers lie in not changing too much from a proven formula.

....but then again, if could just be that I'm MMO'd out :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might just be burned out of MMO's. Every genre in game has the same basic floor plan. FPS are FPS, RPG are RPG, Platformers are Platformers, and MMORPG are MMORPG. You might see a new innovation here in there but at it's core it's still the same genre. Take DCUO for example. It has you moving around hitting the punch, kick, block button on a game controller but it's still has MMO core mechanics like dungeons, raids, armor sets, and trinity setup.

You might just be burned out of MMO's. Every genre in game has the same basic floor plan. FPS are FPS, RPG are RPG, Platformers are Platformers, and MMORPG are MMORPG. You might see a new innovation here in there but at it's core it's still the same genre. Take DCUO for example. It has you moving around hitting the punch, kick, block button on a game controller but it's still has MMO core mechanics like dungeons, raids, armor sets, and trinity setup.

It's not that He's truely bored of MMO's I believe because if that was so alot of gamers would really have been tired of games in general since the ps1/N64/dreamcast days all games are the same just that they all have more cinematics and better graphics!

It's the direction of the MMO that has become stale! WoW did it and got 12 million gamers is what BW/EA and other Publishers all said! If they would truely tried to have innovated and progressed MMO's, maybe they would have started a new FAD!

Can't speak for everybody but once you have done the Trinity, gear progression, themeparks, removed any type of challenge, instanced PvP, and Skill trees then you really get tired of the same game with the same cake and icing but with a different color texture!

You are not MMOd out, SWTOR shouldnt be called an MMORPG, it should be called a single player game trying to be an MMO by the makers forcing us to play it online and throwing a few multi-player aspects at us.

A few flashpoints/operations and PvP does not an MMO make. I get as much MMO out of Quake and Dungeon Siege 2.

+1 to swtor not being an mmo....and if you played wow alot that many have.....its a bad copy of wow in space...and no im not going back to wow...my sub expired 2 days ago..since dec and jan have 31 days..in case someone thinks it should end on the 20th as i read earlier... this game is going down so fast....i expected it to be interesting atleast until gw2 or diablo 3...which wouldnt stop me from playing this one as they arent with subs like swtor...still...i cant put myself to log anymore after completing one story...i tried alts....after lvl 10.....no incentive....and not its not getting old...im 42 and still like playing mmo's on my limited free time...now however im mmo'less....

I've been considering why I haven't really played swtor for a while, and was wondering the same thing. I came up with a few reasons.

I think I'd prefer the timeline to be around the films. I just prefer that time, I grew up with it. I was never really into kotor 1 and 2. There's no famous faces in game, and due to it being pre films there's no history, no tales of skywalker etc.

It's too linear, with no sense of freedom. I guess I prefer sandbox maybe.

I like crafting, but this game doesn't compare to that other one where crafting is concerned.

Space is a joke, I'd spend many hours crafting parts, re'ing, just playing around with my ships.

No customisable housing/ships.

After the initial excitement of playing a new mmo, I find im not interested anymore. I'm sure there'll be things that grab my attention later on, and I'm certainly not quitting, but for now it feels like a chore to log on. Which is a shame, I love star wars, and really want this game to be everything it promises to be.

+1 to swtor not being an mmo....and if you played wow alot that many have.....its a bad copy of wow in space...and no im not going back to wow...my sub expired 2 days ago..since dec and jan have 31 days..in case someone thinks it should end on the 20th as i read earlier... this game is going down so fast....i expected it to be interesting atleast until gw2 or diablo 3...which wouldnt stop me from playing this one as they arent with subs like swtor...still...i cant put myself to log anymore after completing one story...i tried alts....after lvl 10.....no incentive....and not its not getting old...im 42 and still like playing mmo's on my limited free time...now however im mmo'less....

Why don't u just take a break and come back in march when the implement everything and then there is incentive for ur alts with legacy system

I'm guessing a little of both. Losing interest in MMOs and the MMOs are getting to cookie cutter (tank, dps, heal)/[/url]

There have only been a few MMORPGs that werent like that and it goes back to the very first MMORPG with graphics...a dungeons and dragons game.

There isnt just cookier cutter classes anymore...entire games are cookie cutter now bringing in zero that is new.

This game hasnt created anything new, they added rail space combat which is new to the genre, but isnt a new idea in gaming...that is why it feels bland, cause it is, no amount of class freedom is going to change that.

It's possible. I used to play videogames a lot a few years ago, but I burned out on them and reduced my playtime a lot, sometimes even going months without. I would only play a select few, and actually purchase even fewer. Happily though TOR and Skyrim brought back my gaming itch, and whilst I play few hours I find myself enjoying them again :D

there he is again, yet he is still paying to play a game that blows... lol @ you! :rod_tongue_p:

Having an active subscription doesn't equal playing the game. You should have figured that one out by now, seeing there are nowhere near 1.7 mil players around in SW:ToR.

Everyone keeps saying its a player game, followed by the response that it's single player because the zones are empty and you don't see others. Hate to break it to people most mmo are like that. Empty except for the newbie areas. If this game is single player then same can be Said wow because last I played there you went out did dailies and waited for wise to pop up. Only siffence is wow has more fluff that is it.

DAOC another example, is that a single player game I mean you can get pl to lv 50 in 4 hours or so. Even when that game was out and alot of people played a majority of the zones were always empty except for the PVP areas.

Everyone keeps saying its a player game, followed by the response that it's single player because the zones are empty and you don't see others. Hate to break it to people most mmo are like that. Empty except for the newbie areas. If this game is single player then same can be Said wow because last I played there you went out did dailies and waited for wise to pop up. Only siffence is wow has more fluff that is it.

DAOC another example, is that a single player game I mean you can get pl to lv 50 in 4 hours or so. Even when that game was out and alot of people played a majority of the zones were always empty except for the PVP areas.

I think Games like EvE, FFXI, and even worst FFXIV (total failure) has more ppl out in the zones then this game does with the earlier having 300k subs each and FFXIV even less around 30k pre-sub enforced in Jan!

Now don't get me wrong, SWTOR is probably one of the most polished MMOs I've ever played.....yet

Having played most MMOs since the days of UO and EQ I'm starting to flag in hours logged in. Having played most classes I find everything post level 20 (when you stop gaining "new powers" and instead getting upgrades to existing ones) a bit similar to the last 3-4 levels.

The storylines are great, but even that doesn't seem to draw me in.

I suppose its due to the old MMO mechanics of Tank/DPS/Healer (which even if the game allows different tactics, most parties end up playing in defined roles) and no matter if I'm fighting in a secret Imperial Manufactering plant or the Dungeon level of Lord British's castle.....the setting differs but the game "feels" similar. The last few MMOs have given me the same feeling of being a retread. Its nothing to do with Devs not being bothered to come up with something new, more they satisfy what the customer wants.

It give me pause to consider the term MMO, is it in fact a genre rather than a term used to describe its capabilites. Sure there's lots of different types of MMO, but the more popular ones all seem to "play" in a similar manner.

So as an MMO player am I fated to have a number of years playing the big guns of the MMO world before settling down to drift between niche MMO in the search of new gameplay?

I guess it all boils down to what the majority of the customers want. And I guess the big subscription numbers lie in not changing too much from a proven formula.

no your just sick of hotkey mmos.... if your like me just standing and auto hitting everything has gotten old... and tired... for me i just tried Tera online it is nice and refreshing playstyle with unique in game mechanics and actual fun combat. Sure its questing is pretty old school BUT everything else is amazingly well done!

Go try Tera before you give up on MMO's in general.