Where is "star wars"? really?

Kaladorei

The lack of relation to anything star wars is unreal and youve obviously just been looking at ur lightsaber s long its afffected your brain and made you believe what your playing is in fact star wars, when the game represents nearly every other SCi Fi movie i can think of bette rthan star wars...

if they swapped out the lightsabers for the bladed weapons used during the force wars by the followers of Bogan and Ashla I could still personally call it Star Wars- then again I'm such a lore junkie that has a passion for the ancient ancient pre-republic, pre Bendu teachings era that It's pretty easy for me to ignore all the iconic " branding" things and still see SW

the number of force users bothers some, but this is a time where both jedi and sith forces were easily numbered in the millions so that fits the era...

you know, unlike when swg was suppose to happen when force users were rare and marked for purging as soon as they were discovered.

Edited by MatronAdena

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love this game, but I also share the sense that something is missing. I also struggle to put my finger on the cause of it and nor should I have to: I'm not the game designer.

I think the towns do feel very un-town like - even the bases feel a bit the same. There is nothing dynamic going on to give a sense of life and being part of a living world. For me this would be things like - space ships or shuttles zipping over head, random speeders with NPCs on them pathing through a town. The sound is good in game so you get sort of a sense of this, just not the visual confirmation.

I suppose in SWG it was the same, except there were many more players in a zone - coronet starport or theed used to feel busy, just from the number of players milling about. With the instancing in SWTOR, we don't have this. I don't feel the community aspect of the game because I don't see the community en masse. Perhaps this is the cause?

The point is that the soul or ambience of a game is created by the sum of the different parts. Yes the environment is beautiful and detailed and has the right SW themes / content, yes the sound is great, but something that gives it a sense of life is missing and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Perhaps it is the lack ofrandom background "visual" events plus pets and critters.

wait, no:

Perhaps it is the low density of the population - this does make your journey feel more unique but also...lonely...

wait, no i have it!

Perhaps it's X, Y or Z...

You see why the OP is probably having problems nailing down the cause? I can think of a few potential causes, yet I'm not sure of thiem because im not a professional that is paid to create worlds that are persistent and also feel alive and interactive.

just my 2 cents.

edit: day / night cycle, dynamic weather?

Sitting around a camp fire at night with your companion on Tatooine watching the stars,

Different critters coming and going between day and night

You get the point?

Edited by Glavius

I suppose in SWG it was the same...
That is the problem right there. The people complaining that Star Wars doesn't feel like SW and is missing something have earlier perceptions or misconceptions of how they feel/thought the game should be based on a previous experience. They think it should be more like SWG. Or they think it should be more flashier like the movies. Or even more like WoW for that matter. There aren't exact specifics they can come up with, other than it is missing something because to them it didn't meet their conceived perceptions.

That is the problem right there. The people complaining that Star Wars doesn't feel like SW and is missing something have earlier perceptions or misconceptions of how they feel/thought the game should be based on a previous experience. They think it should be more like SWG. Or they think it should be more flashier like the movies. Or even more like WoW for that matter. There aren't exact specifics they can come up with, other than it is missing something because to them it didn't meet their conceived perceptions.

I take your point completely. I just think some people need more to create a sense of immersion than others. The little kids skipping around in Stormwind chasing each other to get their sweets back add ambience.

There are "ambient" conversations going on in SWTOR and I think some of them are hilarious and very well done. There's just very little movement that creates a sense of life.

For me that is the issue - irrespective of what other games have done.

(p.s. I wrote "suppose" when actually I know, as I was in SWG beta, and intermittently through to 2007 the cities felt very dead after the population left....).

Edited by Glavius

yup, i feel as if when i log in i should feel immersed in a star wars world...when what we actually get is static world, you could be back 20 years ago on pac man and find it more adventurous...i have a real issue with the fact it does not feel star warsy atall. i could be playing any "MMO" if you can call this game 1...just a rehashed star wars skin does not make this game star wars...

Well, you just want to play through episode 4-6, 1-3 and be able to change the story of the movies to your particular liking! This is Star Wars thousands of years before the movies..."The Old Republic" is the key word! :cool:

Yes, it has all those things but something is missing , it doesn't 'feel' like Star Wars. Even SWG captured that feeling better for me, especially on planets like Tatooine.

The game lacks heart. Too many hands in the cooking pot. The truth is that BW should have licensed the Unreal Engine... only voiced the class story lines.... and put in more time into environments, etc.

HEROengine (/facepalm) - (12 - 18 FPS)

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7637/swtorfps.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1382/swtorfps2.jpg

Unreal Engine 3 (70 - 75 FPS)

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6624/dcuocombat1.jpg

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5894/dcworld2.jpg

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3905/dcuoworld3.jpg

Edited by Sizzurps

The problem isn't the game, or that it isn't "star warsy enough" for you, it's that you and others have an idea of what you think makes Star Wars Star Wars, and expect everyone else to have the same expectations including the developers of the game. When this happens, expect to be disappointed because not everyone shares the same vision of what makes Star Wars Star Wars. Just look at what George Lucas thinks Star Wars is, and what the fan base of Star Wars thinks it is.

I think that pretty much says it all really and I totally agree. Everyone's perception of what Star Wars is is different by varying amounts.

Great excuse for lack of any immersion to the game. Oh we can't have busy cities beacuse someone's PC can't cope. Better not add day/night or weather or any slightest hint of a living world, we don't want to ruin someones framerate.

Yet from a developers point of view, who want to make the game as accessible as possible, this is exactly the sort of thing they have to consider.

i guess..the skin isnt what gets me, its the lack of relation to star wars in terms of feel...dead worlds with nothing on them for one, a bunch of irrelevant tanks during leveling...the raid content has no correlation to star wars whatsoever, the pvp is crap, ilum is...?

At first i entered this thread thinking there might be some valid points but then i read this...

Force - check

Light side/dark side - check

Droids - check

Star destroyers - check

Sith - check

Bounty hunters - check

Blasters - check

Wookies - check

Hutts - check

I've gotten bored of saying check, but you get my drift. What the heck were you looking for?

neutral interjection: the "star wars" feel is more about the tone and theme of the work, not the basal content.

neutral interjection: the "star wars" feel is more about the tone and theme of the work, not the basal content.

Really? Ok. As I said above let's examine that statement logically shall we.

Let's create a hypothetical mmo which has that 'star wars feel' exactly as you want. Absolutely 100% perfect, couldn't be bettered in any way. And now we give it a hello kitty skin.

So, what's more important, the look and background and detail, or none of that but you get the 'feel' right.

3,500 years before the Star Wars films? Really?

SWTOR takes place around 21,500 after the founding of the Republic. The movies are 25,000 years after the founding. The technology of ships goes back to the founding of the Republic. We don't even have any cities half as old as the Republic

The difference in timespan is more like 1995 vs 2010 for cars. You wouldn't look at pictures of cars made in 1995 and say "Why don't those look like Model Ts? 1995 was so long ago!". You can find some really beautiful cars from the 90s and some really ugly cars from recent (Top Gear recently covered the Chinese Tripod XF150ZK-4). Personal cars have many different styles, but what about business vehicles? 18 wheelers haven't changed very much.

Er maybe because it feels lifeless. When you see the cities in the films there is a hive of activity. The deserts of Tatooine should feel fairly lifeless but not the city streets too. Also, the fact that most of what you see is background scenery doesn't help.

You sound suspiciously like someone who never got to see 'A New Hope' before Lucas decided to see how badly he could screw up his own movies. In the original version Mos Eisley is just as dead and lifeless as Anchorhead in SWTOR.

SWTOR takes place around 21,500 after the founding of the Republic. The movies are 25,000 years after the founding. The technology of ships goes back to the founding of the Republic. We don't even have any cities half as old as the Republic

The difference in timespan is more like 1995 vs 2010 for cars. You wouldn't look at pictures of cars made in 1995 and say "Why don't those look like Model Ts? 1995 was so long ago!". You can find some really beautiful cars from the 90s and some really ugly cars from recent (Top Gear recently covered the Chinese Tripod XF150ZK-4). Personal cars have many different styles, but what about business vehicles? 18 wheelers haven't changed very much.

So, you're equating 3,500 years before the tech design of the films... to a 5 year time span here? Is that official George Lucas canon? Is there an Ewokian calendar? Or, do they use the Gregorian calendar? Mmmmkay.

Edited by Sizzurps

i guess..the skin isnt what gets me, its the lack of relation to star wars in terms of feel...dead worlds with nothing on them for one, a bunch of irrelevant tanks during leveling...the raid content has no correlation to star wars whatsoever, the pvp is crap, ilum is...?

Don't play???

So, you're equating 3,500 years before the tech design of the films... to a 5 year time span here? Is that official George Lucas canon? Mmmmkay.... NEXT.

The canon suggests that technology became stagnant. Not much changed over that time period.

The canon suggests that technology became stagnant. Not much changed over that time period.

That's all I needed to hear. The ole artistic license - especially in the case of explaining holes in various stories. Thanks. I still enjoy the films: Ep 4, 5, 6. Prequels... I've purged them from my memory.

Edited by Sizzurps

So what is "Star Wars" to you? What would it actually need for it to be "Star Wars?"

How about an actual war going on in space?

Taking your ship and just killing some innocent republic trying to transfer their cargo from a planet to a space station. :p that sounds like fun.

Pod racing on a planet? betting on the winners.. upgrading pots etcetc..

gambling somewhere @ hutts? card games, whatnot, anything...

something something... what about a 10 hour daily force practice, lifting rocks while standing on your head to double your efficiency , lol

Placing bounties on other players?

so much is lacking I don`t really know where to begin.